Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cazale wrote: »
    SuperValu have a sale on whiskey from the 7th till the 20th. Best deals are:
    Powers 3 swallows - €33
    Black Barrel - €38
    Jameson Crested - €29
    Roe and Coe - €35
    Hyde Special Reserve - €45

I found the Roe and Coe really worked well in classic cocktails like a Manhattan.
    It's bottled at 46% as supposedly that works better in cocktails than 40%.
    Contains a mix of malt and grain whiskeys aged 5 years for the youngest.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

You definitely know your drinking whiskey when you go for cask strength. Worth trying it out in a bar first before stumping up the extra cash for one.

True enough... mind you, I still managed to get though the bottle without too much difficulty :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You definitely know your drinking whiskey when you go for cask strength. Worth trying it out in a bar first before stumping up the extra cash for one.

The only difference between cask strength and any other whisky is dilution.
    Most people will put a drop of water in a cs whisky, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    True enough... mind you, I still managed to get though the bottle without too much difficulty :-)

Truth be told I wasnt too keen on it when i opened the bottle but by the end I was very happy with it....

SuperValu have a sale on whiskey from the 7th till the 20th. Best deals are:

Powers 3 swallows - €33
    Black Barrel - €38
    Jameson Crested - €29
    Roe and Coe - €35
    Hyde Special Reserve - €45

Even better when supervalu sent out lots of €10 off vouchers... black barrel for €28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Speaking of Red Breast CS I've heard murmurs of a 27 year old version being announced or going on sale in March. Presume it'll be the 2020 dream cask?

The only difference between cask strength and any other whisky is dilution.
    Most people will put a drop of water in a cs whisky, anyway.

To quote the Clancy brothers water is alright in tae, for fish and things that swim in rivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Tried dead rabbit in the palace last week
    9e a shot
    Sweet - vanilla and bourbon says the label...i could agree. I am now a fan.
    Picked up a bottle in dunnes for 45e at weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Natterjack Irish Whiskey?

Was anyone at the launch for this last night?

It came up on a social media field over the last few day, i'd never heard of it before.

Picked a bottle up earlier. Smooth smooth stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭sheroman01

picachu wrote: »
    Even better when supervalu sent out lots of €10 off vouchers... black barrel for €28

Where would one get these €10 off vouchers :)?

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Where would one get these €10 off vouchers :)?

They sent them out in the post for their rewards
    Members

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Nal wrote: »

Supervalu have some money off spirits too.

Here's the link for Irish whiskies

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-irish-whiskey/c-150302435

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

NIMAN wrote: »
    Supervalu have some money off spirits too.

Here's the link for Irish whiskies

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-irish-whiskey/c-150302435

Some great savings there. M8ght pick up a bottle of Roe & Co

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Some great savings there. M8ght pick up a bottle of Roe & Co

Even better if you have a €10 voucher in your wallet;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Nal wrote: »

The Irishman Founder's Reserve for €30 is excellent value

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Tesco have Chivas Regal 18 down from 80 to 68. Not too bad. Had it a few weeks ago, and loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone who wants a SV voucher and hasn't downloaded the phone app - do. There are often vouchers there that don't exist elsewhere, I've a 10 off 50 from the normal offer *and* another unexpected one. They're account linked so they can't be sent on to someone else.

Picked up the ALDI Christmas catalogue.
    They are supposed to already have in stock an Irish 12 year old single malt for €25.

Anyone know anything about this or better still opened a bottle?

Also, LIDL now have the Scotch whisky miniature set in store, €10 for 3 minis of a single malt Islay, Speyside and Highland under the Ben Bracken brand. Haven't opened any yet :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about this or better still opened a bottle?
    I tried it and thought it pretty decent, though I'm not really a single malt fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Tesco have some bottles on special at the minute:

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=whiskey

Picked up a Method & Madness for €42. First time trying it - nice. Has a real kick.

Also grabbed a Johnnie Walker Black Label - great value at €35

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

10 year old Bushmills Single Malt for €40 seems like a good price I think.

adrian522 wrote: »
    10 year old Bushmills Single Malt for €40 seems like a good price I think.

Its nit a bad price, i got two bottles last year... i regretted it after i opened the first bottle... i would definitely prefer black bush over the 10

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Hope I’m not breaking any forum rules here I’m just looking for the initial Dublin Airport Release 1991 Midleton Single Casks (I believe there were 4) if somebody could point me to the right direction to obtain them... Thanks

I was in a hotel over the summer and they were giving me cast strength for the price of the normal 12. A great night was had!

One of the best and at that money it's a no brainer. Do you know what batch/strength it is?

Got the last bottle in Blanchardstown today... should go down nicely over Christmas

Thanks for that little push 😉

JJ Corry launched a 27 year old single malt last night. At €6,500 a bottle it's the dearest Irish whiskey ever released. Some spiel below.

Distilled in 1991, J.J. Corry The Chosen is a 27-year-old Single Malt Irish Whiskey disgorged from a single cask at the pinnace of its maturation. An unparalleled release of only 100 bottles, Whiskey Bonder J.J. Corry selected this cask as the ultimate expression of Irish Single Malt and a celebration of the rich tradition of Irish Whiskey Bonding. In their role as the leading modern Irish Whiskey Bonder, J.J. Corry have curated a library of Irish Whiskey flavours, from both traditional and contemporary distilleries around the island of Ireland. Seeking out only the rarest stocks of mature whiskey, they closely monitor the individual flavour evolution of each cask, carefully deciding the destiny of all of their whiskeys. The Chosen was selected at the peak of its maturation. Having evolved for 27 years undisturbed, J.J. Corry chose to disgorge and bottle it at cask strength to showcase the finest that Irish Whiskey can oer. This exceptional whiskey is presented in a bespoke crystal decanter, hand cut by Irish crystal maker J. Hill’s Standard and housed in an Ashwood cabinet created by master Irish craftsman John Galvin. J.J. Corry has chosen to collaborate with these two prestigious contemporary Irish design houses as they share the same values of attention, skill, creativity and care to their respective crafts as J.J. Corry do to whiskey bonding. Each cabinet and decanter are handmade, unique and bear an organic representation of the windswept dune grass which grows along the Wild Atlantic Coastline in County Clare. Only 100 cabinets and decanters have been created.

Should have posted in the bargain alertt section. Charlie Chawke is kicking himself now underpricing his Midleton.
    JJ Corry launched a 27 year old single malt last night. At €6,500 a bottle it's the dearest Irish whiskey ever released. Some spiel below.

Distilled in 1991, J.J. Corry The Chosen is a 27-year-old Single Malt Irish Whiskey disgorged from a single cask at the pinnace of its maturation. An unparalleled release of only 100 bottles, Whiskey Bonder J.J. Corry selected this cask as the ultimate expression of Irish Single Malt and a celebration of the rich tradition of Irish Whiskey Bonding. In their role as the leading modern Irish Whiskey Bonder, J.J. Corry have curated a library of Irish Whiskey flavours, from both traditional and contemporary distilleries around the island of Ireland. Seeking out only the rarest stocks of mature whiskey, they closely monitor the individual flavour evolution of each cask, carefully deciding the destiny of all of their whiskeys. The Chosen was selected at the peak of its maturation. Having evolved for 27 years undisturbed, J.J. Corry chose to disgorge and bottle it at cask strength to showcase the finest that Irish Whiskey can oer. This exceptional whiskey is presented in a bespoke crystal decanter, hand cut by Irish crystal maker J. Hill’s Standard and housed in an Ashwood cabinet created by master Irish craftsman John Galvin. J.J. Corry has chosen to collaborate with these two prestigious contemporary Irish design houses as they share the same values of attention, skill, creativity and care to their respective crafts as J.J. Corry do to whiskey bonding. Each cabinet and decanter are handmade, unique and bear an organic representation of the windswept dune grass which grows along the Wild Atlantic Coastline in County Clare. Only 100 cabinets and decanters have been created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

picachu wrote: »
    Its nit a bad price, i got two bottles last year... i regretted it after i opened the first bottle... i would definitely prefer black bush over the 10

I've gotten it cheaper and would agree black label is better than red. I prefer white label over the red.

There are lots of good deals percolating as we approach the holidays. I might have mentioned already but Powers seems to constantly be on sale recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I picked up Knappogue 14 year old for €55 for my brother's birthday and Irishman Founders Reserve for €30 for myself at O'Brien's today, not bad.

• Advertisement

I picked up Knappogue 14 year old for €55 for my brother's birthday and Irishman Founders Reserve for €30 for myself at O'Brien's today, not bad.

Not bad, that's an understatement, I thought the Knappogue 14 year old was smashing.

Should have posted in the bargain alertt section. Charlie Chawke is kicking himself now underpricing his Midleton.

I saw a picture on Twitter an Irish whiskey blogger put up of the rare and vintage whiskey section in the airport he was in. 15 bottles and all were scotch. As he said it's time Irish whiskey had pride of place beside them.

picachu wrote:
    Got the last bottle in Blanchardstown today... should go down nicely over Christmas

picachu wrote:
    Thanks for that little push 😉

Enjoy!

Hope I’m not breaking any forum rules here I’m just looking for the initial Dublin Airport Release 1991 Midleton Single Casks (I believe there were 4) if somebody could point me to the right direction to obtain them... Thanks

There was a good sell and swap group on Facebook for Irish Whiskey. I'm not on Facebook anymore but it used to be a good way of getting rarer bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The other half spoiled me for my birthday, getting me a tasting set of the below whiskies. Had the Midleton first, but otherwise don't know where to start! Any advice?

Auchentoshen 18
    Glenfarclas 25
    Balvenie 21 port wood
    Bowmore 18
    Highland Park 18
    Knockando 21
    Amrut madiera finish
    Kavalan soloist Sherry
    Jack Daniels Sinatra select
    Midleton very rare
    Mars Komagatake
    Whistlepig 10y Rye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Not bad, that's an understatement, I thought the Knappogue 14 year old was smashing.

Oh wait, just realised you were being very generous in your present buying!

Ha ha, yeah well in fairness he usually gets me some great whiskies too. Looking forward to trying the Irishman later, has gotten great reviews in that price bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The other half spoiled me for my birthday, getting me a tasting set of the below whiskies. Had the Midleton first, but otherwise don't know where to start! Any advice?

Auchentoshen 18
    Glenfarclas 25
    Balvenie 21 port wood
    Bowmore 18
    Highland Park 18
    Knockando 21
    Amrut madiera finish
    Kavalan soloist Sherry
    Midleton very rare
    Mars Komagatake
    Whistlepig 10y Rye

I wouldn't know where to start either but I love the Kavalan. Great selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

For something special ... and you will only have a shot or two of this .. or it'll be too much:

Smokehead. It's a single malt from Islay. But it seriously tickles the sense and tastebuds.

/M

All crap. Just send them to me I take the bullet for ya. You’re welcome!

Auchentoshen 18
    Glenfarclas 25
    Balvenie 21 port wood
    Bowmore 18
    Highland Park 18
    Knockando 21
    Amrut madiera finish
    Kavalan soloist Sherry
    Midleton very rare
    Mars Komagatake
    Whistlepig 10y Rye

Anyone ever try Dungourney 1964? Thinking of treating myself to a glass.

Anyone ever try Dungourney 1964? Thinking of treating myself to a glass.

No such luck! But cheers I will be there in an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

If you havnt married her yet go get a ring QUICK!!!!

Theyre all fairly special whiskeys! If I were you id be picking them at random. Have a read of the tasting notes just to make sure two arent too alike. Make sure you have a good nosing glass like a glencairn glass to get the most out of them! Im very jealous of that selection especially the Balvenie 21 Port wood!!!!!

Auchentoshen 18
    Glenfarclas 25
    Balvenie 21 port wood
    Bowmore 18
    Highland Park 18
    Knockando 21
    Amrut madiera finish
    Kavalan soloist Sherry
    Midleton very rare
    Mars Komagatake
    Whistlepig 10y Rye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

L1011 wrote: »
    "woven from 16 different single malt whiskys" is written on the bottle.

Which is a bit ridiculous tbh.
    It's technically correct, but every blended malt is a blend of single malts. As the beer revolu said, I'm surprised they are allowed to use that description. Seems like an obvious appeal to ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Picked up a Method & Madness for €42. First time trying it - nice. Has a real kick.

90% corn in that one apparently.

Effects wrote: »
    90% corn in that one apparently.

Wasn't able find a mash bill for M&M. But somebody here might know it.
    I did find that Killbeggan and Ballyhoo Single Grains are 93% and 94 % corn respectively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Mellor wrote: »
    I did find that Killbeggan and Ballyhoo Single Grains are 93% and 94 % corn respectively

Kilbeggan Single Grain is what used to be Greenore.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I got the 90% from the IDL guy doing a tasting in Celtic Whiskey Store on Thursday.
    Interesting trying the two newish ones, cherry and acacia, I hadn't had them yet

Marlow wrote: »
    Kilbeggan Single Grain is what used to be Greenore.

/M

Yep. But it's no longer 8 year old. It's not a NAS and likely 4 year old.

Effects wrote: »
    I got the 90% from the IDL guy doing a tasting in Celtic Whiskey Store on Thursday.
    Interesting trying the two newish ones, cherry and acacia, I hadn't had them yet

Thoughts on both?

i'll probably pick up a M&M at Christmas. Maybe the Pot stil. But could go for a special edition if worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Which is a bit ridiculous tbh.
    It's technically correct, but every blended malt is a blend of single malts. As the beer revolu said, I'm surprised they are allowed to use that description. Seems like an obvious appeal to ignorance.

I get the feeling their target audience knows feck all about whisky and a lot about price points. And the "woven" term is hideous.

L1011 wrote: »
    I get the feeling their target audience knows feck all about whisky and a lot about price points. And the "woven" term is hideous.
    It's appeal is definitely the price point.
    The single malt association, is just to bolster the credibility among people who have probably heard the phrase. I'm think more in terms of whats permitted or not.

But Aldi/Lidl always kinds play close to the rules

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement