Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Got a bottle of Benromach 5 yr old to tide me over while I decide what Irish to go for. Wow, great stuff, oily mouth feel, slight zest, caramel, wisp of smoke, subtly warming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In Tallinn, where the usual measure is 40ml. Ordered a Talisker.

Barmaid pours the 40 and realises there probably isn't another in the bottle. Tips the lot in to mine. 6.20.

Haven't found this a cheap city (more reasonable than anything) until now but that's a nice boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Beagslife

For anyone in Portugal 8-) this week the Pingo Doce Supermarket chain are offering a 25% discount on all of their Whiskey's!
    Discount valid till 5th December while stocks last.

402710.jpg402711.jpg
    MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Writers Tears mostly.

Just got a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail for Christmas.

Saving Hibiki 17 for a special occasion.

Has anyone bought from the UK sites like Masters of Malt? Green Spot €40. Would you have to pay tax on that?

Edit: Nevermind
    I've been stung before, after not checking the T&Cs. My booze ended up in the hands of Revenue down at the docks, and I had to go down to collect it, after paying customs and excise fees. Ended up costing me more than it would have here.

And where would people usually buy their whiskey? O'Briens seems to be good. Celtic Whiskey Shop seems pricier. Surprisingly my local Fresh supermarket always sell a couple of quid below. Green Spot €57. Nikka from the Barrel €42. Few others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Looking for a recommendation for the prospective father in law. He's a regular Maker's Mark drinker and we like to get him a premium (in comparison to MM) at Christmas. Last year we got him Town Branch and he loved it. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

AsianDub wrote: »

Has anyone bought from the UK sites like Masters of Malt? Green Spot €40. Would you have to pay tax on that?

got some stuff from MoM a couple of weeks ago.
    first time ordering from them.
    I believe they are legit / semi-legit, * but anyway, I got my order.
    Ordered on Sun, delivered on Thurs.

Had an order from Belgium seized by customs last year, if that happens you don't get option to pay taxes and get it back. Well, I didn't

* in a tax compliant shipping booze to Ireland way

Of course MoM are legit. In what way wouldn't they be?

Looking for a recommendation for the prospective father in law. He's a regular Maker's Mark drinker and we like to get him a premium (in comparison to MM) at Christmas. Last year we got him Town Branch and he loved it. Any thoughts?

MM have a new "Makers Mark 46" out, might be worth while, if you can pick one up.
    I don't think many bourbon drinkers would refuse an Eagle Rare 10 yo.

Of course MoM are legit. In what way wouldn't they be?

Not being an expert on Irish customs and excise, I'm not going to say any online booze site is 100% legit *, because I know pain of a seized order

* in a tax compliant shipping booze to Ireland way

• Advertisement

Not being an expert on Irish customs and excise, I'm not going to say any online booze site is 100% legit, because I know pain of a seized order

They're a legitimate site. They're based in the UK. The fact there are laws and regulations around the importing of alcohol doesn't delegitimise the site.

They're a legitimate site. They're based in the UK. The fact there are laws and regulations around the importing of alcohol doesn't delegitimise the site.

Ok, maybe I phrased it wrong...
    I meant they are legit/tax compliant with relation to shipping booze to Ireland....

Didn't mean to imply anything...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The fact there are laws and regulations around the importing of alcohol doesn't delegitimise the site.
    It does if they choose to ignore them, as many sites do. Compliance is their responsibility.

Is Sainsburys the best place in Newry? Going to do a run this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

AsianDub wrote:

There's a huge store in the quayside
    Think it's sainsburys and has a big offie section
    If enniskillen is an option the asda has a bigger offie

brinty wrote: »
    There's a huge store in the quayside
    Think it's sainsburys and has a big offie section
    If enniskillen is an option the asda has a bigger offie

Cheers for that :)

• Advertisement

AsianDub wrote:
    Cheers for that

Checked it out
    The quays in newry..sainsburys
    Buttercrane is right across the road

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

AsianDub wrote: »

Don't forget Tesco Extra in Newry too. If you're looking for specific whiskies, check the prices on both supermarkets' websites before you go to see which would work out better (or whether it's worth visiting both).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Anyone getting a bottle of the Dingle first batch?
    http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Dingle-small-batch-1?search=dingle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Is there limited stock or something?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Slattsy wrote: »
    Is there limited stock or something?
    From the press release:
    The Dingle Distillery is proud to introduce its first small batch whiskey. Distilled from distinctive, hand crafted copper pot stills and matured in Bourbon casks, two new whiskies are now available in limited quantities. Dingle Whiskey (46.5%, €65 rrp, 7,500 bottles) and Dingle Whiskey Cask Strength (60.7%, €120 rrp, 500 bottles) are presented in bespoke bottles featuring a painting by Liam O’Neill, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the 1916 rising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

What quantity qualifies as a small batch? Would 7,500 usually be considered a small batch in the whisky world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

VW 1 wrote: »
    What quantity qualifies as a small batch? Would 7,500 usually be considered a small batch in the whisky world?

Small batch doesn't refer to the amount of bottles produced

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

7500 bottles would be 26 barrels or so. Small enough quantity I'd say.

NAS either. Though the CW seem impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Mad money for a new whiskey, Irish whiskey is in a bubble right now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

irish_goat wrote: »
    7500 bottles would be 26 barrels or so. Small enough quantity I'd say.
    Assuming a 750ml bottle and about 200 litres per barrel, you'd be right but these is also the Angel's share which is about 2% per year.
    (If my maths is correct)

Picked up a bottle of redbreast 12 year old cask strength as a Christmas present to me. Looking forward to cracking that one open.

Got a bottle of powers three swallows on special for 40 euro last week. At that kind of money its every bit as good as writers tears for me, and I'd have both ahead of crested ten personally.

kbannon wrote: »
    Assuming a 750ml bottle and about 200 litres per barrel, you'd be right but these is also the Angel's share which is about 2% per year.
    (If my maths is correct)

A standard bottle is 700ml.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭BobMc

Two more new bottles to add to my collection, thanks for the recommendations,
    Redbreast 12yr old & Green Spot, might sample one with toy show tonight :)

BobMc wrote: »
    Two more new bottles to add to my collection, thanks for the recommendations,
    Redbreast 12yr old & Green Spot, might sample one with toy show tonight :)

You're onto a winner with either of those mate

• Advertisement

You're onto a winner with either of those mate

The missus is going to think I'm turning into an alcoholic with all this new whiskey :)

BobMc wrote: »
    The missus is going to think I'm turning into an alcoholic with all this new whiskey :)

I've bought about 15 this year
    give her some too and share the fun of it. Neither of us were whisky drinkers as tweenagers..
    But i have a dram and my missus tries each one, she loved the Redbreast

I can barely get her to drink a beer not to mind whiskey, she wont even drink my homebrew is hoors lite or nothing for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Got a bottle of powers three swallows on special for 40 euro last week.

Where was it on special ?

limnam wrote:
    Where was it on special ?

O'Briens in Finglas village. Was in there yesterday and is still the same price.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

O'Briens in Finglas village. Was in there yesterday and is still the same price.

€38 in Tesco at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Quackster wrote: »
    €38 in Tesco at the moment.

Great price for such a great whiskey

Just got the Dingle single malt small batch. Looking forward to opening it over Christmas :)

BeerNut wrote: »
    It does if they choose to ignore them, as many sites do. Compliance is their responsibility.

I've come across this discussion on the beer side of the forum somewhere before. Did some more digging and my reading and understanding from revenue seems to be if the seller complies with paying the VAT and the duty of the country they are sending the goods too you're good to go, I'm guessing they dont.

On a side took a punt and got a delivery from MoM, lucky I guess, being busy time of year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lostboy75

limnam wrote: »
    Great price for such a great whiskey
    Got it for €36 in Tesco today. Very happy as had nearly finished the bottle I had.(will be finishing it this evening!)
    They also had
    Jameson
    black barrel for 40.
    Creasted for 28.
    Csskmates for 30.

Bushmills black Bush for 26.
    Redbreast for 57.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SneakyDoyle

Got a bottle of redbreast 12 y/o in Sainsburys in The Quays in newry last week, worked out at 36 euros. Savage value. Wasn't even on special.

Just polished off a bottle of the 15 which was great, but a little disappointing. Not worth the price jump from the 12 year old, it's incredible stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Was offered a choice between Glenfiddich 12yo or Cardhu 12yo at work and I chose the Cardhu ....did I chose well?

Was offered a choice between Glenfiddich 12yo or Cardhu 12yo at work and I chose the Cardhu ....did I chose well?

You did, Cardhu is a lovely drop

Midleton 15 is 155e in Tesco and 199e in The Celtic Whiskey Shop - if anyone is looking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Picked up several bottles on Bushmills at my local Aldi for €16 at the weekend

• Advertisement

guys throwing it out there
    got a bottle of Black bush which i'm going to regift and my good l;ady wofe has agreed i can get something to replace it as her dad will be getting the black bush
    €60 - €70 budget, scotch?
    Any recommendations??
    I've contributed a lot on thread so that should help you have an idea of what i like. I'm thinking of maybe going for something 15 year old +...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Congratulations on convincing the wife that the Black Bush was in that price range! :pac:

L1011 wrote: »
    Congratulations on convincing the wife that the Black Bush was in that price range! :pac:

Cheers mate, i said i was topping it up
    She knows i like a nicely priced one.
    You're normally a good guy for recommendations? Any idea's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

got a bottle of Black bush which i'm going to regift and my good l;ady wofe has agreed i can get something to replace it as her dad will be getting the black bush
    Any recommendations??
    I've contributed a lot on thread so that should help you have an idea of what i like. I'm thinking of maybe going for something 15 year old +...

If I was gonna drop 70euro on a bottle today, I'd just go straight out and get a 10yr Ardbeg. But I like 'em smokey!

Any recommendations??

Glendronach.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement