Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Rob987 wrote: »
    Have been building up a wee collection of Scotch whisky the last while. I now have:

- Glenfiddich 18 yr old (small batch reserve)
    - Craigellachie 19 yr old
    - Cardhu 12 yr old
    - Balvenie 16 yr old triplewood
    - Glenfarclas 15 yr old

Really enjoying my Highland & Speysides at the moment.

I doubt that came cheap but well worth it.

Enjoy mate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

cloudatlas wrote: »
    What's the verdict on Jameson Black Barrel, the tasting notes say fruity which sounds strange to me!

One of my favourite whiskeys, all of my friends/family rate it very well too. Im not a connoisseur by any stretch, but always find it incredibly smooth, easy to drink and really like the flavour of it. Love quiet evenings watching a movie with a glass of it, always have a bottle in the house :)

Has anyone had Jack Ryan single malt? On a bit of a single malt fixation recently and would like a nice Irish one next, and have seen this one around a bit. I think West Cork Distillers have a single malt too, but have been told to avoid it. I don't really like Bushmills 10 YO SM, Connemara peated or Tyrconnel SM. I do like the Teelings single malt but just don't know that its worth €55-60...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

What's the verdict on Jameson Black Barrel, the tasting notes say fruity which sounds strange to me!

There are some very fruity whiskeys. Esters give a fruity flavour in whiskey, especially in the likes of Tyrconnell, where there's lots of pear flavours.

BenRiach and the 1989 - 1991 Teelings are full of tropical fruit flavours.

And then the whiskeys matured or part matured in sherry casks have a raisin or dried fruit flavour...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Brockagh wrote: »
    There are some very fruity whiskeys. Esters give a fruity flavour in whiskey, especially in the likes of Tyrconnell, where there's lots of pear flavours.

BenRiach and the 1989 - 1991 Teelings are full of tropical fruit flavours.

And then the whiskeys matured or part matured in sherry casks have a raisin or dried fruit flavour...

Yes sorry it's the fact that they didn't say which fruit that threw me. Bushmills and Jack daniels have dark cherries, dark rum has prunes and stewed fruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Flex wrote: »
    One of my favourite whiskeys, all of my friends/family rate it very well too. Im not a connoisseur by any stretch, but always find it incredibly smooth, easy to drink and really like the flavour of it. Love quiet evenings watching a movie with a glass of it, always have a bottle in the house :)

Has anyone had Jack Ryan single malt? On a bit of a single malt fixation recently and would like a nice Irish one next, and have seen this one around a bit. I think West Cork Distillers have a single malt too, but have been told to avoid it. I don't really like Bushmills 10 YO SM, Connemara peated or Tyrconnel SM. I do like the Teelings single malt but just don't know that its worth €55-60...

Is this the one because it seems to be fairly new? https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/john-jameson-and-son/jameson-black-barrel-whisky/?srh=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Just back from a weekend away and picked up a bottle of the Redbreast Lustau - got it for 45€ as only at the airport did I realise that Iceland is a duty free destination :) - It's a beautiful addition to the redbreast range and long may it stay as a regular .

On the way back was really happy to see they had some Jameson 12yr old in stock so picked up 2 bottles of it . One for drinking now and one for the collection. It's becoming rare these days to find it and I really do wonder if Midleton have made a big mistake in discontinuing this brilliant whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

Hey All, only recently started drinking whiskey/bourbon, currently on a bottle of Crown Royal Black I picked up coming home from US during summer, looking to buy something nice for Christmas for myself, what's a good bottle to buy, prefer to try something Irish in the 50 - 70 euro range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Green Spot still the king at that price range for me. Powers John's Lane and Writer's Years good options too.

BobMc wrote:
    Hey All, only recently started drinking whiskey/bourbon, currently on a bottle of Crown Royal Black I picked up coming home from US during summer, looking to buy something nice for Christmas for myself, what's a good bottle to buy, prefer to try something Irish in the 50 - 70 euro range.

Green spot mate
    Or teelings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

ta, have had the teelings too, the small batch version, had my eye on the green spot on special in obriens at the mo.

I'll grab a bottle of that to start

• Advertisement

Thats the one. Its in a new bottle as far as I know, but its been around a few years

BobMc wrote: »

In order of my preference, all around ~€60, Id suggest...
    1. Redbreast 12 YO (or Redbreast Lustau; have only had Lustau once but was very very nice)
    2. Powers Johns Lane
    3. Teelings Single Malt
    4. Green Spot

BobMc wrote:
    ta, have had the teelings too, the small batch version, had my eye on the green spot on special in obriens at the mo.

I'll grab a bottle of that to start

You'll no regret it
    If you want to veer over to scotch start on speysides
    Cardhu is a lovely dream about €45 in the multiples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Okay.. this shouldn't bug me, but it does.

It's 'Teeling', not 'Teelings'.

That's all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Opened a bottle of Irishman Single Malt the other day. Lovely stuff, good value from O'Briens on their sale at €45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Either way, it's still not great.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Either way, it's still not great.

Ah it is though.. Well, I like the Small Batch and the Single Malt. Not so gone on the Single Grain.
    And the 21 year old is wasted on me somewhat, considering what I paid for it!

Each to their own of course.

I think the next Irish I buy (outside of my nightly Powers) will be a Hyde.

Ah it is though.. Well, I like the Small Batch and the Single Malt. Not so gone on the Single Grain.
    And the 21 year old is wasted on me somewhat, considering what I paid for it!

Each to their own of course.

I think the next Irish I buy (outside of my nightly Powers) will be a Hyde.

I picked up a bottle of the single grain thinking i'd asked for the malt one. Only coped half way through it was the grain. Have to say it was a lovey drop. I'll pick up a bottle of the Malt soon.

No drinking at the moment cos of a six week course of anti biotics :o and still a large back log to clear

Have to agree the Teeling single grain is my go to whiskey - love it - like the small batch also .

Would highly recommend the Hyde 10yr old -

shanel23 wrote: »

Sherry or Rum cask?

• Advertisement

Sherry or Rum cask?

The sherry - blue label :)

Sorry Stephen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Agreed! I bought a bottle earlier this year after trying a free sample (or three!) at Cork Airport and it's a lovely whiskey. (It would be dishonest of me to deny that the free chocolates plus the lovely tee-shirt on offer may have played a part in my decision to purchase!)

I'd also like to recommend West Cork whiskey - the standard one, not the 10 year single malt, which I have yet to try. It's a smooth mellow whiskey with a lovely warm aftertaste.

The sherry - blue label :)

Excellent. That's the one I was leaning towards!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was working in Midleton today and was given a bottle of Crested Ten, one of the last produced before they changed the brand (and recipe) to Crested.
    Stored away for a wee while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭jh79

kbannon wrote: »
    Was working in Midleton today and was given a bottle of Crested Ten, one of the last produced before they changed the brand (and recipe) to Crested.
    Stored away for a wee while!

According to the whiskey exchange it's the same .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

jh79 wrote: »
    According to the whiskey exchange it's the same .
    According to my source, it's slightly different. Eventually I'll try the two together to compare but I'll keep this one sealed for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Purchases in the past month:

-Ardbeg Uigedail
    As good as, but not a replacement for the 10, its different, like a different branch in the range. It has a little more sweetness & sherry if thats what you're into ( which i very much am!)

-Caol Illa 12
    Just a 200ml bottle of this so i could do a side by side tasting when i got home. Its almost between Laga 16 & ardbeg 10. rounder than ardbeg but sharper than the Laga. Great maltiness to it.

-Bruichladdich Island Barley
    Wasnt sure about this at first at all but now its a firm fav. wish i bought a few bottles of this as cant get it in ireland yet. Very floral, initially reminded me of Greenspot Leoville, lots of lemon, grass and light fruit, but very malty on top of that.

-Writers tears read head
    Unopened yet, anything that has a lot of sherry is my thing so looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Was in Wales for the weekend and picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12YO in Morrisons for just £25.

And on the J Swift ferry back, I bagged a bottle of Connemara on special for a mere €20.89 so that should be the festive season sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Has anyone tried the Green Spot Chateau Leocille Barton?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement