Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

picachu wrote: »
    D7

Duck into L Mulligan Grocers for a quick nip of RB21 on the way home so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I could be wrong but I think neiphin were offering half casks.

Their coopers seemed to be flat out working on casks for various distilleries during the summer. Can't see them making half casks or it being that profitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Bushmills 21 down from €175 to €150 at Celtic Whiskey Shop.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/irish-whiskey-home-page/irish-whiskeys-from-a-to-z/bushmills-21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Had the Kilbeggan Single Pot Still last night and was quite impressed.

Very appley on the nose and a nice light, crisp taste followed by some spiciness.

At €55 a bottle its excellent value in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Felexicon wrote: »
    Had the Kilbeggan Single Pot Still last night and was quite impressed.

Very appley on the nose and a nice light, crisp taste followed by some spiciness.

At €55 a bottle its excellent value in my opinion

Better than Teeling SPS? Not sure if you've tried it but id be interested to know what people think between the two. I was personally disappointed with the first batch of Teeling SPS. Haven't tried any of the other batches tho

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Better than Teeling SPS? Not sure if you've tried it but id be interested to know what people think between the two. I was personally disappointed with the first batch of Teeling SPS. Haven't tried any of the other batches tho

Haven't tried Teeling SPS so can't compare. But would not discourage anyone buying the Kilbeggan

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thethinone

Hogzy wrote: »

I tried the Teelings single pot still at whiskey live last year. They told me that it was their own spirit from the Dublin distillery which would make it relatively young and tbh, you could taste that it needed a bit more time in the barrel. It wasn’t great. I went to the teelings stall after the midleton one, so it might have suffered in comparison to what I had just sampled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

thethinone wrote: »
    I tried the Teelings single pot still at whiskey live last year. They told me that it was their own spirit from the Dublin distillery which would make it relatively young and tbh, you could taste that it needed a bit more time in the barrel. It wasn’t great. I went to the teelings stall after the midleton one, so it might have suffered in comparison to what I had just sampled.

The initial batch was a 3 year old, if I recall. That was a 2018 release. So I imagine it will get it will get incrementally older as the batches progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Haven't tried Teeling SPS so can't compare. But would not discourage anyone buying the Kilbeggan

It’s on special in CWS for €45. Might try it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Not too shabby at all...

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Tonight's tipple methinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lab_Rat

Came on here to find a review like this and BOOM found it. Thanks - on offer now from CWS at €45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭2011abc

Recent purchases and thoughts:

I would consider myself a ‘sherry bomb’ malt fan

Powers Johns Lane €55 OBriens Wont get it much cheaper .Peppery pot still with a nice bite but not sure I’d buy another bottle even at this price .( despite it being second behind the Barry Crockett in the Potstilled minis quartet-leaving the Greenspot and Redbreast far behind - I prefer Teeling SM )

Lidl DunDealgan €19 varies from ‘Hey this is just as good as Black Bush and not a million miles behind Powers Johns Lane’ to ‘Meh’ (still nowhere near as nasty as the old Pricess Margot 3 year old (€13) which could put you off whiskey for life .)A bottle of this in the press at all times is bound to make nicer stuff last longer ...

Black Bush Tesco €25 cant go wrong but never soars much above it’s price point

JJ Corey The Gael2 €60 for 500ml .I ordered this and the next two fromIrish Malts (€5 Post and the packaging is rock solid !) I was disappointed when I realised I’d ordered a’smaller’ 500ml bottle realising I could have got a Teeling Brabazon for a similar per ml price .I wasn’t disappointed when I tasted it !!!!Boys , oh boys !This has hints of Barry Crockett(€260!!!) about it !!!!.It contains a small but significant percentage of 27/29 year old spirit .Oh man !!!Youtubes Whiskey Ralf called this the Irish Whiskey of 2019 and I couldn’t disagree

West Cork Cask Strength €48 cheapest cask strength , doesn’t taste like 62% alcohol, ( more refined than Glenfarclas 105 which DOES taste like 60% and is €75 a litre ) goes down a treat !

West Cork Sherry Cask €39 not as good as their Dha Chasca which is 2-5 euro cheaper .Thoughts vary from ‘solid / honest ‘ to a bit meh / more light Maideira than rich dried fruit Sherry ?!’ ( mildly disappointed but sure as heck won’t be going down drain)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

2011abc wrote: »
    Recent purchases and thoughts:

I would consider myself a ‘sherry bomb’ malt fan

Powers Johns Lane €55 OBriens Wont get it much cheaper .Peppery pot still with a nice bite but not sure I’d buy another bottle even at this price .( despite it being second behind the Barry Crockett in the Potstilled minis quartet-leaving the Greenspot and Redbreast far behind - I prefer Teeling SM )

Lidl DunDealgan €19 varies from ‘Hey this is just as good as Black Bush and not a million miles behind Powers Johns Lane’ to ‘Meh’ (still nowhere near as nasty as the old Pricess Margot 3 year old (€13) which could put you off whiskey for life .)A bottle of this in the press at all times is bound to make nicer stuff last longer ...

Black Bush Tesco €25 cant go wrong but never soars much above it’s price point

JJ Corey The Gael2 €60 for 500ml .I ordered this and the next two fromIrish Malts (€5 Post and the packaging is rock solid !) I was disappointed when I realised I’d ordered a’smaller’ 500ml bottle realising I could have got a Teeling Brabazon for a similar per ml price .I wasn’t disappointed when I tasted it !!!!Boys , oh boys !This has hints of Barry Crockett(€260!!!) about it !!!!.It contains a small but significant percentage of 27/29 year old spirit .Oh man !!!Youtubes Whiskey Ralf called this the Irish Whiskey of 2019 and I couldn’t disagree

West Cork Cask Strength €48 cheapest cask strength , doesn’t taste like 62% alcohol, ( more refined than Glenfarclas 105 which DOES taste like 60% and is €75 a litre ) goes down a treat !

West Cork Sherry Cask €39 not as good as their Dha Chasca which is 2-5 euro cheaper .Thoughts vary from ‘solid / honest ‘ to a bit meh / more light Maideira than rich dried fruit Sherry ?!’ ( mildly disappointed but sure as heck won’t be going down drain)

I got the Gael 2 delivered this week too and agree it's a great dram, especially for the price, makes a great drinking whiskey. I'd say the same about the Brabazon you mentioned though!

I got miniatures of most of the West cork range and have been working my way through them. I don't have the cask strength one but the rest of the ones I have tasted really do taste very young and I don't think I'll be trying their stuff again for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

2011abc wrote: »

If you want to continue your adventures in cheap whisk(e)y there is Tesco Scots Club for €15, produced in Scotland, but so mild it seems to be coloured vodka. Not nasty so much as mediocre.
    Will have to see if I can rescue it with some cointreau, vermouth or bitters.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If you want to continue your adventures in cheap whisk(e)y there is Tesco Scots Club for €15, produced in Scotland, but so mild it seems to be coloured vodka. Not nasty so much as mediocre.
    Will have to see if I can rescue it with some cointreau, vermouth or bitters.

As it’s generally a lot less value than Irish , cheap Scotch is generally the devils work !’Coloured vodka’ is a good description but no doubt with notes of caramel coloring and floor polish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Anyone tried aldi’s Clontarf 1014

GY A1 wrote: »
    Anyone tried aldi’s Clontarf 1014

IS that the one they have for about €19 - €20, been part of their range for a good few years now?
    I had it a while back, grand for that price but I'd prefer basic Jameson.

There's also recent addition, Ardfallen for about same price, think that's from West Cork Distillers.
    Haven't tried that yet but if you're limited to ALDI check it out.

I’d guess that DunDealgan and Clontarf are the same (‘Cooley’) spirit .Yes The Ardfallen is West Cork I think sweet vanilla bourbon casked .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Yes think it’s €19
    Reviews Of the dundalgan don’t seem great.
    Was hoping the clontarf might be bit better
    Worth a try for €19
    IS that the one they have for about €19 - €20, been part of their range for a good few years now?
    I had it a while back, grand for that price but I'd prefer basic Jameson.

There's also recent addition, Ardfallen for about same price, think that's from West Cork Distillers.
    Haven't tried that yet but if you're limited to ALDI check it out.

• Advertisement

GY A1 wrote: »
    Yes think it’s €19
    Reviews Of the dundalgan don’t seem great.
    Was hoping the clontarf might be bit better
    Worth a try for €19

Actually, does it have to be Irish? If you are in ALDI, their Highland Black 8yo blended scotch is probably superior to the above. It's not peated.

And in LIDL if they still have any of the Queen Margot 8yo for under €20 better still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Actually, does it have to be Irish? If you are in ALDI, their Highland Black 8yo blended scotch is probably superior to the above. It's not peated.

And in LIDL if they still have any of the Queen Margot 8yo for under €20 better still...

Most aldis have standard Bushmills at €20 (I think that's the price). Decent enough for the price and quite easy on the palate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Blue Spot will be returning soon. 7 years old at 59.2%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cazale wrote: »
    Blue Spot will be returning soon. 7 years old at 59.2%.

That has the potential to be either quite nice (based on pedigree); or basically paintstripper at that %.

L1011 wrote: »
    That has the potential to be either quite nice (based on pedigree); or basically paintstripper at that %.

Very true, I brought back a few bottles of Tatratea from Bratislava last year that are 57% just for the novelty factor and they are actually quite pleasant to sip.

I was fully expecting them to be very harsh.

Some of the cask strength whiskey's recently released local enough to where I live and attracting a premium price are dog rough in comparison.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My sister worked in Oregon for a while and used to bring me back bottles of the local Big Bottom 111, which was 55.5% and the strongest I've had that still managed to hold its own flavour/taste/etc wise without dilution - most other similarly high/cask strength product I've tasted has needed to be diluted down before you don't get overwhelmed.

Brand seems to be dead now - as far as I remember they were cask finishing MGP product back then but had their own stock aging; but they were bought out and it seems the brand was killed last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

If that's the case then RB cask strength should be paint stripper but it's the best of the RB range. Whiskey at cask strength is always more flavoursome compared to watered down 40% stuff. It's how it's meant to be.

Wailin wrote: »
    If that's the case then RB cask strength should be pain stripper but it's the best of the RB range. Whiskey at cask strength is always more flavoursome compared to watered down 40% stuff. It's how it's meant to be.

100% disagree.

What's your thoughts on regular RB 12 compared to the RB 12 CS out of interest? Same whiskey except the abv percentage. It is after all the perfect comparison of how the abv affects flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The "it's how it's meant to be" comment is rubbish.

Whiskey is watered down before it goes into cask.
    Most so-called cask strength is watered down to its bottling strength - it's not actually the strength it was in the cask - it's diluted for consistency. There are exceptions to this.

So, all whisky is watered down at some stage - there is no "proper" presentation.

Stronger abv spirits will tend to have more flavour - just because they are less diluted.

To me, it just seems silly to be drinking cask strength whiskey without a drop of water
    - but, whatever floats your boat.

Yes of course all whiskey is watered down, some more than others eg 40% instead of 58% etc. But the comment above that high abv whiskey is usually paint stripper is just plain wrong. And as I said, the RB 12 comparison is the perfect example.

Btw, your jumping to conclusions there with the last comment. I'd always add a drop of water, but that's it, a drop. People can drink cask strength whiskey without water and it doesn't mean they are "silly".

Yes of course all whiskey is watered down, some more than others eg 40% instead of 58% etc. But the comment above that high abv whiskey is usually paint stripper is just plain wrong. And as I said, the RB 12 comparison is the perfect example.

Btw, your jumping to conclusions there with the last comment. I'd always add a drop of water, but that's it, a drop. People can drink cask strength whiskey without water and it doesn't mean they are "silly".

I wasn't responding to the paint stripper comment, I was responding to the "it's the way it's meant to be" comment - suggesting that cask strength is somehow, inherently better.

Anyone can drink whiskey however they please.
    I will continue to have my own opinions on how it's best for me.
    I didn't jump to any conclusions - why would I care how you drink your drink?

Rowing in here on behalf of Team Cask Strength ! Generally the dearer the ( certainly Irish )whiskey the stronger it is !

Anyone can drink whiskey however they please.
    I will continue to have my own opinions on how it's best for me.
    I didn't jump to any conclusions - why would I care how you drink your drink?

And where exactly did I force my opinion on you on how to drink whiskey?

Your comment about being silly by not adding water is certainly one that implies you care how I drink my whiskey.

Your comment about being silly by not adding water is certainly one that implies you care how I drink my whiskey.

Trust me, I don't.

We are talking about cask strength whisky, l made a comment about adding water, generally. Not everything is about you.

The only thing I took you up on was, as I've said twice already, was your, "it's how it's meant to be", comment,which you haven't tried to defend.

This conversation has run its course. I shan't be playing anymore.

• Advertisement

The only thing I took you up on was, as I've said twice already, was your, "it's how it's meant to be", comment,which you haven't tried to defend.

Sorry your honour I didn't realise I was on trial! :D

Sorry your honour I didn't realise I was on trial! :D

You weren't, you were just called out on a statement you made which was incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

But the comment above that high abv whiskey is usually paint stripper is just plain wrong.

That's not what was said though, was it?

The implication I got from that statement was that anything at a high abv, ie cask strength, is basically undrinkable paintstripper. Which is definitely not the case.

But apologies if I took that up wrong folks :o

The implication I got from that statement was that anything at a high abv, ie cask strength, is basically undrinkable paintstripper. Which is definitely not the case.

So you completely ignored the first part of the statement that said it had the potential to be quite nice? A tad strange, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Sometimes a bowl of milk is more appropriate than a glass of whiskey.

Then again, that might start a “full fat vs. skimmed” debate.

So you completely ignored the first part of the statement that said it had the potential to be quite nice? A tad strange, no?

Absolutely no need to jump on the bandwagon, as is your want Eagerbeaver. Not for the first time either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Hose arrest getting to you all?
    Glenfiddich 18yo small batch reserve here... cheers!

Hose arrest getting to you all?
    Glenfiddich 18yo small batch reserve here... cheers!

Would that be cask strength now or 60% water? :pac:

Absolutely no need to jump on the bandwagon, as is your want Eagerbeaver. Not for the first time either.

What bandwagon? You could just answer the question if you wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Looks like things are getting in on a few people.

I am happier seeing recommendations / evaluations than storms in tea cups.:mad:

So what is in everyone's press to get through the lockdown

I have

RB 12 x 2.5 bottles
    Connemara
    Ardbeg 10
    RB 21 (unopened)
    Glendalough
    Roe & Co
    Knappogue Castle French Oak Cask
    Few different Teeling sample sizes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think you may have misread.

I took it as 7yo is on the young side for a CS, so could be rough. But the pedigree of the spots would suggest its a getting in more flavour with a good quality base.

So what is in everyone's press to get through the lockdown

Jura 10 year old Journey
    Glenlivet 12 year old
    Kilbeggan Single Grain Small Batch (unopened)
    Sainsburys 12 year old Calvados 50cl (not whiskey but on same shelf)

For mixing:
    Teachers Scotch
    Dunphys Irish Whiskey (was on offer for €20 and at least as nice as standard Jameson)

For hot whiskies \ mulled recipes:
    Powers gold
    Tesco Scots Club whisky

Mellor wrote: »
    I think you may have misread.

I took it as 7yo is on the young side for a CS, so could be rough. But the pedigree of the spots would suggest its a getting in more flavour with a good quality base.

Yeah possibly. Lagavulin have an 8 year old 48% that's a very popular release. Even more so than their 12 year old cask strength (Finished a bottle of that a few weeks back and it was top class.). Although it's not cask strength, it's still high for a young whisky. I'm looking forward to seeing how this Blue Spot is received.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement