Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

So a Pearse Lyons tasting isn't going to involve much whiskey distilled by them?

Didn't get this one in the end myself as I have tried their range before and it's good rather than great. The distillery is gorgeous though.

Since the L Mulligan tastings have started I've tried 21 whiskeys with 17 of them being new to me. Looking forward to the island isolation one on Friday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Cazale wrote: »
    Didn't get this one in the end myself as I have tried their range before and it's good rather than great. The distillery is gorgeous though.

Since the L Mulligan tastings have started I've tried 21 whiskeys with 17 of them being new to me. Looking forward to the island isolation one on Friday night.

My island isolation samples arrived this morning and I've had a little sniff. Looking forward to it.

Re. Pearse Lyons, I did the tour with a Japanese friend who read about it in Lonely Planet or something. Good tour. Unimpressed by the whiskey though and, as far as I can see, they don't actually make most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

I've tried a few of these nights before but I'm never successful. Think there is a bit of a clique going as it's always the same accounts chosen.

Yes, I've noticed the same, which is unfortunate because some of the tastings are very interesting

Noel Sweeney of Fercullen and Cooley is giving an online talk about becoming a master distiller this Thursday on zoom. You can register for access below.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_yTrWAr5iR5WAW0Xhyr_xLQ

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Did anyone get the Kilchoman Feis Ile tasting set?

https://kilchomandistillery.com/distillery-news/feil-ile-2020/

They put various options up for sale on a myshopify account and I meant to get the tasters and the bottle but was too late pulling the trigger.

I highly rate Kilchoman whisky but I also thought it seemed like decent value.

---

I have a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 year old being delivered from O'Brien's today. €40, which is probably the best price I've seen for it in Ireland in a while. Previously I got it at a similar price in Supervalu at Sutton Cross.

The price of bourbon is something of an annoyance to me. I understand we are on the other side of the Atlantic, but the pricing different is stark... What might be in the $30 range there could be €70 here.

Then you get these blips where the pricing seems to be more favourable... I have got bottles of Buffalo Trace in Tesco in Northern Ireland for €23 on markdown.

There's also a bit of range in pricing... Elijah Craig 12 for example, appears to me to be for sale for €70 in one off licence in Dublin and it is €125 in another. Pretty sure it is the same 12 year old version.

I'm not one of these people who gets angry at prices but it does bemuse me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Just got a bottle of Blantons bourbon delivered there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Does anyone know if Dunnes Stores stocks Dingle Single Malt Batch 5 whiskey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hogzy wrote: »

Don't know about Dunnes but I know you can order it direct from the distillery for 76 euro delivered.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I've never seen it in any Dunnes.

Bar 1661 in Dublin are selling their stock in 50ml bottles through the post. Was gonna buy a sample of Red Breast 27 but they sold the last one the other day. Might be of interest.

• Advertisement

Bar 1661 in Dublin are selling their stock in 50ml bottles through the post. Was gonna buy a sample of Red Breast 27 but they sold the last one the other day. Might be of interest.

How do you know this? Do they have a price list?

Hogzy wrote:

I was talking to one of the lads working there. As I said I was after a sample of 27 year old red breast and they had it for €35 for 50ml but it's sold out. You can WhatsApp them for a price list. Details on their Twitter @bar1661.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_ckPyiHB2X/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

They are selling cocktails through the website too.

Having some cask strength Kilbeggan tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

All the Queen Margot whiskys have disappeared suspiciously from our local Lidls these last few weeks. i wonder if someone is just buying them all up?

I like mixing the 3 year old with Ardbeg sometimes like Ralfy suggested.

Beanstalk wrote:
    I like mixing the 3 year old with Ardbeg sometimes like Ralfy suggested.

Saw him talk about this before but never tried it. What's it like? What ratio would you use?

Not long to go now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Hello Everyone.

Long time follower, first time poster.

Balvenie 12yo DoubleWood

Happy Friday

3:1 Margot:Ardbeg. The Margot is pretty decent, smooth and light. The Ardbeg lifts it then and gives it a bit of body too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Jameson Caskmates IPA. Really liking it.

Although I thought I was getting a nice, close to half price deal, turned out I misread the price label. :pac:

The Nal wrote:
    Just got a bottle of Blantons bourbon delivered there.

Where you manage to pick up a bottle of Blantons in Ireland? I had a glass or two in the Dylan bar in Kilkenny. Very nice bourbon from what I can remember.

Beanstalk wrote:
    3:1 Margot:Ardbeg. The Margot is pretty decent, smooth and light. The Ardbeg lifts it then and gives it a bit of body too.

Sounds like a plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Beanstalk wrote: »

Would expect this to probably produce something similar-ish to Johnny Walker Black or another of the slightly smokier mid-premium products. Won't taste the same but in terms of makeup.

(18.99*3 + 74) /4 = ~32

Not bad value, JWB is rarely less than 35 and normally higher.

edit: actually, Queen Margot is cheaper than that isn't it? Brings the equivalent price per bottle of the hypothetical blend down a fair bit then.

L Mulligans will be doing a Japanese tasting night on June 6th. They go on sale this Monday at 7pm. 80 tickets so they will sell out fairly quick. I'll be the first in the queue!

@potstilled_ on Twitter and Facebook are having a talk tonight at 8pm with Red Breast master blender Dave McCabe. They will be discussing the Dream Casks and how they are selected etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Where you manage to pick up a bottle of Blantons in Ireland? I had a glass or two in the Dylan bar in Kilkenny. Very nice bourbon from what I can remember.

Celtic Whiskey Shop!

Everything is online these days.

On Wednesday, May 27th, at 8pm, Join Bernard Walsh, Finn MacDonnell and Peter White as they discuss their newest collaboration - Writers' Tears Seaweed IPA Cask Finish.

This stream will be live on the Writers' Tears Facebook page, and will be hosted by Serghios Florides.

L1011 wrote: »
    Would expect this to probably produce something similar-ish to Johnny Walker Black or another of the slightly smokier mid-premium products. Won't taste the same but in terms of makeup.

(18.99*3 + 74) /4 = ~32

Not bad value, JWB is rarely less than 35 and normally higher.

edit: actually, Queen Margot is cheaper than that isn't it? Brings the equivalent price per bottle of the hypothetical blend down a fair bit then.

Aye its 13:99, and then I'm lucky enough to live on the border and sometimes Ardbeg is in Sainsbury's for £40 or thereabouts on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Wife is feeling the boredom of restrictions a bit today so I suggested that tonight I give her a whiskey tasting class. She's not into whiskey but she's on for trying it.

I have a decent enough mix of whiskeys to represent different styles.

Thinking Tyrconnell 16 year old single malt, Redbreast 12 or Green Spot, Johnnie Walker Black Label, Chita as the sole Japanese whiskey I have, Woodford Reserve and then finish with a high alcohol bourbon in Noah's Mill.

Hopefully I'll convert her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Hello all,

Just looking for a whiskey recommendation as it's my brother in laws birthday soon.

We both like greenspot, I've tried yellow spot but didn't enjoy it.

If anyone has any recommendations for a whiskey that is similar to green spot or anything you'd think we'd enjoy I'd be grateful.

Willing to spend up to €100.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hello all,

Just looking for a whiskey recommendation as it's my brother in laws birthday soon.

We both like greenspot, I've tried yellow spot but didn't enjoy it.

If anyone has any recommendations for a whiskey that is similar to green spot or anything you'd think we'd enjoy I'd be grateful.

Willing to spend up to €100.

Thanks

Redbreast 12 or Redbreast Lustau. Youll have a bit of change left out of the 100 euro also. You could go with a Redbreast 15 which will probably cost the full 100 but I personally prefer the 12 or Lustau.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Redbreast 12 or Redbreast Lustau. Youll have a bit of change left out of the 100 euro also. You could go with a Redbreast 15 which will probably cost the full 100 but I personally prefer the 12 or Lustau.

Or Redbreast 12yo caskstrength .. Better than the 15yo imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Has anyone tried the Drumshanbo Whiskey? Very tempted to pick it up, love their gin but haven't heard anything much about it.

Has anyone tried the Drumshanbo Whiskey? Very tempted to pick it up, love their gin but haven't heard anything much about it.

I was generously given a present of a bottle recently but I haven't opened it yet. I'll have to try it soon once I finish a few other open bottles off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Drinking paddy tonight

Drinking some Old Pulteney 17 year old tonight. Finished in sherry casks at 46%. Ralfys whisky of the year for 2015 but discontinued in 2017 due to lack of stock so hard to find now. Tasty stuff.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Or Redbreast 12yo caskstrength .. Better than the 15yo imo

Absolutely agree. Best bang-for-buck Irish in that price-range IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Method and madness Hungarian oak, followed by redbreast lustau. Both very nice. Actually couldn't pick one over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

Ned Australian whisky. Got it as a present. I'm no expert but I actually like it. Slightly sweet I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I really liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I have the results from the wife's whiskey tasting, we didn't get around to all I had planned. Interesting to see her preferences as someone who doesn't drink whiskey.

1 - Tyrconnell 16yr old single malt - by a wide margin her favourite.

2 - Redbreast 12

3 - Woodford Reserve

4 - Johnnie Walker Black Label - lacking well behind, she hated it and said it should be thrown out the window.

It's as I expected, didn't think she'd like Scottish and that the 2 Irish would be vying for number 1.

Ordered myself a few samples off Masters of Malt. Cost me a few quid but I have too many full bottles in the press so thought I'd try some different ones. Mainly peated and cask strength.

Laphroaig 25 year old Cask Strength
    Octomore 09.1 (156ppm)
    Heaven's Door Double Barrel Bourbon (Bob Dylan's)
    Glengoyne Cask Strength
    Smokehead High Voltage Cask Strength
    Big Peat Christmas 2017 Cask Strength
    The Irishman 2018 Cask Strength
    Writers Tears 2014 Cask Strength
    Dingle Single Malt No.3
    Teeling Brabazon Series 1
    Teeling Brabazon Series 2
    Lagavulin 8yo 200th Anniversary Edition
    West Cork Peat Cask
    Connemara Distillers Edition
    Glencadam 15yo
    Springbank 12yo Cask Strength
    Dunville's Peated
    J.J. Corry The Battalion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Ordered myself a few samples off Masters of Malt. Cost me a few quid but I have too many full bottles in the press so thought I'd try some different ones. Mainly peated and cask strength.

Laphroaig 25 year old Cask Strength
    Octomore 09.1 (156ppm)
    Heaven's Door Double Barrel Bourbon (Bob Dylan's)
    Glengoyne Cask Strength
    Smokehead High Voltage Cask Strength
    Big Peat Christmas 2017 Cask Strength
    The Irishman 2018 Cask Strength
    Writers Tears 2014 Cask Strength
    Dingle Single Malt No.3
    Teeling Brabazon Series 1
    Teeling Brabazon Series 2
    Lagavulin 8yo 200th Anniversary Edition
    West Cork Peat Cask
    Connemara Distillers Edition
    Glencadam 15yo
    Springbank 12yo Cask Strength
    Dunville's Peated
    J.J. Corry The Battalion

I thought they'd stopped delivering to Ireland?

I thought they'd stopped delivering to Ireland?

There is still 6 counties they deliver to so I can get them delivered to family members up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I’ve never tried many bourbons, other than JD. I might’ve had some Jim Beam at one point.

I decided to picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace yesterday. Not really sure what to think of it. I’d describe it as “lighter” than JD.

I’m still partial to JD, but aside from that, does anybody have any other bourbon recommendations?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I’ve never tried many bourbons, other than JD. I might’ve had some Jim Beam at one point.

I decided to picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace yesterday. Not really sure what to think of it. I’d describe it as “lighter” than JD.

I’m still partial to JD, but aside from that, does anybody have any other bourbon recommendations?

Not tried a huge amount of bourbons (yet) but I'm quite partial to Woodford Reserve myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

4 - Johnnie Walker Black Label - lacking well behind, she hated it and said it should be thrown out the window.

Where's the window? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

ZV Yoda wrote: »

I really like Makers Mark and woodford reserve. Eliijah Craig is another good one, bit sweeter than others

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

In terms of bourbon recommendations, I would be wary of suggesting what I like if you were a bit nonplussed by Buffalo Trace, but here goes...

(I think Buffalo Trace is excellent value, and the aged version sold as Eagle Rare 10 year old is a real treat.)

Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve have been mentioned but I prefer them as mixing bourbons, for Old Fashioned, Boulevardier and similar. Bulleit is another option in roughly the same bracket.

Might be an idea to step up to the 50% abv of a Knob Creek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

CosmicFool wrote: »
    I really like Makers Mark and woodford reserve. Eliijah Craig is another good one, bit sweeter than others

Don't know Elijah Craig at all, must look into it. Really only drink bourbon in Old Fashioneds so the sweeter the better!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement