Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

For those doing the L.Mulligan Japanese tasting tomorrow - have you received your samples yet? Just realised I haven't received mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

ZV Yoda wrote:
    For those doing the L.Mulligan Japanese tasting tomorrow - have you received your samples yet? Just realised I haven't received mine.

I got mine delivered on Tuesday morning by An Post.

ZV Yoda wrote:

Email from them this evening.

We sent all national and outlying Dublin area orders via Express post and I hope you have all received them. For other Dublin orders they have been hand delivered over the last few evenings and there are still some out tonight. If your delivery was for Dublin 4, 7 or 8 I will be delivering those myself tomorrow along with some bottles that you may have purchased. If you haven't received your samples in time via An Post all is not lost as we are hosting this exact same event again on Friday week and tomorrow's event will be recorded and available via YouTube on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ZV Yoda wrote: »

Mine was hand delivered last night. I'd had such a day I nearly opened them all and necked them!

Cazale wrote: »
    It's on their Twitter. If you completed the form successfully you'll get the whiskey.

Sounds good. Mine went through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Got a bottle of dream cask in the second ballot!!!! DELIGHTED!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yoichi single malt tonight. I wasn't overly impressed with this one initially when I first tried it. But it's opened nicely as the bottle has gone down and enjoying sipping on it now.
    Strong Scottish influence on this one with lovely mellow smoke, it's no Islay peat monster, but just enough to give it that lovely Earthy aroma and taste. The peat they use is imported from Scotland I believe.

49971986207_b0289cd97f_c.jpg

Email from them this evening.

We sent all national and outlying Dublin area orders via Express post and I hope you have all received them. For other Dublin orders they have been hand delivered over the last few evenings and there are still some out tonight. If your delivery was for Dublin 4, 7 or 8 I will be delivering those myself tomorrow along with some bottles that you may have purchased. If you haven't received your samples in time via An Post all is not lost as we are hosting this exact same event again on Friday week and tomorrow's event will be recorded and available via YouTube on Saturday.

Yeah, I got that email earlier too. They said mine was delayed, but hopefully delivered tomorrow.

Hogzy wrote:
    Got a bottle of dream cask in the second ballot!!!! DELIGHTED!!!!

Congratulations!

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Yeah, I got that email earlier too. They said mine was delayed, but hopefully delivered tomorrow.

My samples were just delivered. Happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Drinking Glengoyne 10 year old last night.

A Highland distillery and one of those relatively cheap options for those in the UK, you can pick it up for about £35 a bottle.

Jim Murray gave it a more than respectable 90 in his Whisky Bible (2019, I can't find my 2020), noting the complete lack of peat in the barley drying process, along with deft handling of any oak note.

To be honest it doesn't do it for me, but I am always amazed at how suggestible I can be when reading tasting notes. One offering from a UK based site is that Glengoyne 10 has notes of 'hoi sin'. I laughed, and then after a few sups had convinced myself I could taste it....

To be honest it doesn't do it for me, but I am always amazed at how suggestible I can be when reading tasting notes. One offering from a UK based site is that Glengoyne 10 has notes of 'hoi sin'. I laughed, and then after a few sups had convinced myself I could taste it....

I've tried hundreds of whiskeys over the years at this stage and I have to say some of the accompanying tasting notes go over my head. I think people make some of them up to look like they know what they are talking about.

I got a sample of the Glengoyne 25 year old from someone on this thread and it is a stunning whisky. A proper sherry bomb though so I'm not sure if Jim Murray would approve!

Dingle Distillery are doing an online Deconstruction sampling of their Batch #5 with their Master Distiller on July 4th. Sets go on sale tomorrow at 12pm on their website at https://shopie.dingledistillery.ie/. Limited to 500 sets. Last time they sold these they were €23.95.

In this tasting kit, you will find three 3cl samples of the component casks which make up Batch 5: Bourbon, PX and Madeira. A fourth bonus dram which is the finished Batch 5 is also included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Dingle Distillery are doing an online Deconstruction sampling of their Batch #5 with their Master Distiller on July 4th. Sets go on sale tomorrow at 12pm on their website at https://shopie.dingledistillery.ie/. Limited to 500 sets. Last time they sold these they were €23.95.

In this tasting kit, you will find three 3cl samples of the component casks which make up Batch 5: Bourbon, PX and Madeira. A fourth bonus dram which is the finished Batch 5 is also included.

Anyone get it last time? Worth getting?
    Haven't been a fan of the small amount of dingle stuff I've tried already

Japanese samples tonight were:

Suntory Toki
    Togouchi Japanese Blended Whisky (Actually a blend of Scottish and Canadian Whiskey)
    The Chita
    Nikka Coffey Malt
    Hibiki Japanese Harmony
    Nikka 12 year old

One that stood out to me was the Nikka Coffey Malt which I'll try get a bottle. Hibiki and The Nikka 12 both lovely but overpriced at €100 and €150 a bottle respectively. Togouchi was unanimously awful.

Some great tastings coming up including:

Teeling tasting including Brabazon 1-3, Renaissance 18 year old, Teeling 28 Year Old Single Malt.

Distilled whiskey festival. 13 whiskey samples and a cocktail from Bar1661.

Redbreast tasting including the 21 year old, 27 year old and the Dream Cask 28! Said that this one will be very limited places and as you can imagine a premium price.

Japanese samples tonight were:

Suntory Toki
    Togouchi Japanese Blended Whisky (Actually a blend of Scottish and Canadian Whiskey)
    The Chita
    Nikka Coffey Malt
    Hibiki Japanese Harmony
    Nikka 12 year old

One that stood out to me was the Nikka Coffey Malt which I'll try get a bottle. Hibiki and The Nikka 12 both lovely but overpriced at €100 and €150 a bottle respectively. Togouchi was unanimously awful.

I liked the Nikka Coffey Malt too. The Tougouchi was a bit harsh alright, but talk of “not wishing it on my worst enemy” was OTT.

That was my first time doing an online tasting event. I was bored after 30 mins. I don’t think the “drinking stories” really work in the Zoom context. Got a bit tedious for me. I logged off before he started on the last sample.

I also thought it was strange that few (if any) of the whiskeys were actually available to buy in the L.Mulligan store when I checked last night. I tried to buy a bottle of the Nikka Coffey Malt, but they didn’t have any. Sort of defeats the commercial purpose of whiskey tasting event!

My takeaway was that I prefer to attend whiskey tastings in person where I can buy a bottle afterwards!

EDIT: looks like Nikka Coffey Malt is discontinued!

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2020/01/japanese-taketsuru-pure-malt-discontinued-due-to-whisky-shortage/

ZV Yoda wrote:
    That was my first time doing an online tasting event. I was bored after 30 mins. I don’t think the “drinking stories†really work in the Zoom context. Got a bit tedious for me. I logged off before he started on the last sample.

I like Michael but I think that's a fair enough review. That style works better when sampling Scottish whisky but a brand ambassador or Japanese expert would have been a good idea this time. Apologies for asking the Mizunara oak question after the Hibiki which probably pushed you over the edge!

If you have a way to get it you can still order the Coffey Malt from Masters of Malt, The Whisky Exchange or Amazon UK.

I like Michael but I think that's a fair enough review. That style works better when sampling Scottish whisky but a brand ambassador or Japanese expert would have been a good idea this time. Apologies for asking the Mizunara oak question after the Hibiki which probably pushed you over the edge!

If you have a way to get it you can still order the Coffey Malt from Masters of Malt, The Whisky Exchange or Amazon UK.

I’m sure Michael’s a nice guy, not doubting that. I agree that a Japanese ambassador would have been preferable. Michael himself suggested that he wasn’t an authority on Japanese whisky.

Maybe if the sample bottles were bigger, the “war stories” wouldn’t have seemed so long!

I saw that Nikka on those sites alright, but they don’t deliver to Ireland. Not sure I liked it enough to work out the logistics of delivery. I’d pick it up if I saw it on a shelf somewhere.

Your Mizunara question was interesting. I knew very little about different wood types. So I did learn something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

thanks for the heads up, website was very slow for an hour or 2, but got there eventually,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did anyone who completed the signup form for the Boann tasting get a confirmation email yet?
    Don't want to get my hopes up just yet...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Did anyone who completed the signup form for the Boann tasting get a confirmation email yet?
    Don't want to get my hopes up just yet...

My form went through also. Yay! Free whiskey!

https://twitter.com/Boanndistillery/status/1268568099302801408

They replied to a tweet saying they are going to send the emails out on Monday.

dball wrote:
    thanks for the heads up, website was very slow for an hour or 2, but got there eventually,

Yeah it took forever but I got a set in the end too.

Doing a Grace O'Malley tasting on Twitter with Talk Dram tonight.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

actuar90 wrote: »
    Anyone get it last time? Worth getting?
    Haven't been a fan of the small amount of dingle stuff I've tried already

I got it the last time and really enjoyed it, the Madeira cask part was my favourite.

Cazale wrote:
    Doing a Grace O'Malley tasting on Twitter with Talk Dram tonight.

These were actually much nicer than I thought they would be. The rum cask finish definitely the winner.

• Advertisement

Some Kilkerran 8 year old cask strength tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

These were actually much nicer than I thought they would be. The rum cask finish definitely the winner.

I thought the rum cask was thin, harsh and lacking depth.
    Not tried the others.

Another day another whiskey tasting. Tonight at 8pm JJCorry will be doing a live blend on their YouTube channel and selecting the final blend for their new bottle.

https://youtu.be/jLLqPxM8oLo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Got a bottle of Bunnahabhain Stiùireadair today. Normally wary of NAS but I absolutely love the unique taste of the 12 year old so I'm hoping this is just a nice peated version...

Opened this last night. Very please with it, its basically younger and a little thinner than the 12 but thats not a bad thing, the 12 can be very rich. I was a little disappointed at the level of peat, i thought there would be more of it but then with the heavy sherry influence I would imagine it would have to carefully balanced.

Congratulations!

You have successfully signed up to be one of the lucky people to recieve a Whistler Whiskey sampling kit, for our upcoming tasting on the 26th of June.

The tasting will take place on the Whistler Whiskey's Facebook page in the form of an interactive Facebook Live with the Whistler team, at 8pm IST.

The session will be open for anyone to join in on the day, although, only a lucky few (yourself included) will be able to taste along with us as we go through the Whistler Cask Finished Series, which includes The Whistler Oloroso Sherry Cask Finish, as well as the limited edition Imperial Stout Cask Finish and the Calvados Cask Finish.

/just got the email. Nice freebie. Thanks Cazale.

• Advertisement

Congratulations!

You have successfully signed up to be one of the lucky people to recieve a Whistler Whiskey sampling kit, for our upcoming tasting on the 26th of June.

/just got the email. Nice freebie. Thanks Cazale.

Yay! Me too. Thanks a mill Cazale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

cloudatlas wrote:
    Yay! Me too. Thanks a mill Cazale.

Is it still open?

brinty wrote: »
    Is it still open?

Unfortunately not the sign up was only online for an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

One thing I've discovered since the lockdown is a new love of whiskey. A few suggestions for ones to try would be appreciated though if this is the right forum for that.
    I've had a few like Jameson, Jack Daniels and a friend of mine got me some Ha'penny whiskey and enjoyed them all.
    Will I notice a big difference though with some that my friends drink, like Green Spot or Red Breast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

One thing I've discovered since the lockdown is a new love of whiskey. A few suggestions for ones to try would be appreciated though if this is the right forum for that.
    I've had a few like Jameson, Jack Daniels and a friend of mine got me some Ha'penny whiskey and enjoyed them all.
    Will I notice a big difference though with some that my friends drink, like Green Spot or Red Breast?

Wouldn't be a huge whiskey fan myself but I savoured the last of a bottle of Green Spot last night and really enjoyed it, Red Breast 12 year old is another excellent whiskey.

I'd consider both of them very nice sippable whiskies.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Teeling-Brabazon-Series-Virtual-Masterclass-Tasting

Teeling brabazon tasting 24th June. All 3 releases plus nosing glass. For those who missed out on the l mulligan or teeling 5th year. Good value i think at €22 considering the glass is €5 so roughly €5.66 per sample.

Samples have been delivered for the Spey at Home #2 coming up on Thursday.
    Was delivered by An Post courier in Greater Dublin area (not regular post).

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Teeling-Brabazon-Series-Virtual-Masterclass-Tasting

Teeling brabazon tasting 24th June. All 3 releases plus nosing glass. For those who missed out on the l mulligan or teeling 5th year. Good value i think at €22 considering the glass is €5 so roughly €5.66 per sample.

If it were 50ml id tend to agree but for a 30ml sample its a little saucy! I guess CWS have to make their money from it as well as the distillery. Spose shipping is included aswell but still.

Hogzy wrote: »
    If it were 50ml id tend to agree but for a 30ml sample its a little saucy! I guess CWS have to make their money from it as well as the distillery. Spose shipping is included aswell but still.

Yeah the L Mulligan tastings look the best value, but I guess that's why they sell out in 60 seconds.

The Irish whiskey museum @College Green are also starting up virtual tastings from this Friday, but it's something like €40 for 4 x 50mls miniatures & souvenir glass! There are only 20 attendees though so this is more for people who want a lot of interaction, ask a lot of questions etc
    https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/the-whiskey-lock-in-virtual-tasting-with-the-irish-whiskey-museum-tickets-106135193220?aff=website

• Advertisement

Keep an eye out for this miniature sampler set for some premium whiskies, it's in Dunnes, O'Briens, some off licences and some Super Valus. The pack includes 50cl miniatures of Redbreast 12 year old, Green Spot, and Midleton Barry Crockett, Powers John's Lane.

https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/single-pot-still-gift-4-x-50ml

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yeah the L Mulligan tastings look the best value, but I guess that's why they sell out in 60 seconds.

The Irish whiskey museum @College Green are also starting up virtual tastings from this Friday, but it's something like €40 for 4 x 50mls miniatures & souvenir glass!
    https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/the-whiskey-lock-in-virtual-tasting-with-the-irish-whiskey-museum-tickets-106135193220?aff=website

The L Mulligan samples are only 15ml. If you get a slight overfill on one of the bottles you might get 18ml.

Anyone here a member of Flaviar? Ive been checking out their site and the plan includes a complimentary bottle of premium spirit as well as samples every month for a yearly cost of 290eur.

I cant find out what the comp bottle is though. "Premium" is a fairly subjective term, in the states some people view Jameson as a premium whiskey.

Id like to know peoples opions of flaviar if they are members and what sort of value it represents.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Lidl have a few West Cork bottles on offer this week. Anyone know if any of these are worth a punt?

103241367_10222487510717893_3526484387931661899_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=Q7lSzpwGHoUAX-BIgTC&_nc_ht=scontent-cph2-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=c1d553f6120f33de61d5e5cc50f529df&oe=5F04DDA0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

West Cork Dha Chasca is a safer bet ,it's in SuperValu sometimes at around 39.
    But at price point they're worth a punt .Ardfallen in Aldi IS West Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

irish_goat wrote: »
    Lidl have a few West Cork bottles on offer this week. Anyone know if any of these are worth a punt?

I've been gifted 2 different bottles and it's put me off the entire brand. Would take some convincing to give them another go at any price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hogzy wrote: »
    Is there a difference between West Cork Dha Chasca and West Cork Black Cask? The former is the latter as gaeilge.

Except it isn't

Dha Chasca = two casks

Chasca Dubh would be Black Cask.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Yellowspot €78 in Dunnes, good if you have a €10 voucher also, nearly duty free price

L1011 wrote: »
    Except it isn't

Dha Chasca = two casks

Chasca Dubh would be Black Cask.

Im an absolute idiot!!! :o

My leaving cert pass irish is really showing now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

picachu wrote: »
    Yellowspot €78 in Dunnes, good if you have a €10 voucher also, nearly duty free price

Granted this has a finish beyond compare but , I reckon 95% of a whiskey is about taste/palette and I wasn't a big fan when I got a bottle for €60 from SuperValu ( 75 with a 15 off voucher for opening online shopping account -offer expired now) last year .Not a big 'Spot' or 'Redbreast' fan in general ( at least the ones I can afford- in two figure price range !)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement