Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep

Options
  • 02-03-2016 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed over the last few weeks that after a tough session, turbo in particular, that the nights sleep that follows tends to be very unsettled. I fall of to sleep no problem but tend to wkae a few times during the night and feel restless. I always wake a lot earlier than normal too. Anyone else have this issue or know why it happens? The rest of the time I tend to sleep like a baby.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Possibly the release of adrenaline and cortisol as a result of exercise. There are other things happening so while you feel tired physically after exercise your brain finds it hard to turn off due to hormones being produced by said exercise. There have been several studies into it I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Its to do with increased levels of adrenalin and cortisol following on from a tough session that is likely keeping you awake. Ideally try do the tougher sessions early morning or at least a few hours from bedtime. I often suffered the same but not as bad having about 3hrs in between finishing the session and bedtime.

edit: lost souls got there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Possibly the release of adrenaline and cortisol as a result of exercise. There are other things happening so while you feel tired physically after exercise your brain finds it hard to turn off due to hormones being produced by said exercise. There have been several studies into it I believe.

Cheers. What has me confused though is why it's only happening now? Hasn't happened previously. I wonder does age play a part? North of 40 now so maybe that's a contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Get some magnesium into you at bedtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

pgibbo wrote: »
    Cheers. What has me confused though is why it's only happening now? Hasn't happened previously. I wonder does age play a part? North of 40 now so maybe that's a contributing factor.

The exact same thing happened me Sunday night and I'm 30. Took water on board during and a lot after, bit of food, then a shower. Bed before midnight and fell asleep straight away. 2:30 am and I'm wide awake tossing and turning for the rest of the night.

• Advertisement

sconhome wrote: »
    Get some magnesium into you at bedtime.

Cheers. Supplement or would you recommend foods that have it naturally. I always have a banana after a tough session and tend to have some peanut butter and oat cakes before bed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I've noticed over the last few weeks that after a tough session, turbo in particular, that the nights sleep that follows tends to be very unsettled. I fall of to sleep no problem but tend to wkae a few times during the night and feel restless. I always wake a lot earlier than normal too. Anyone else have this issue or know why it happens? The rest of the time I tend to sleep like a baby.

P.

F
    I
    N
    N

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

MalDoc wrote: »
    The exact same thing happened me Sunday night and I'm 30. Took water on board during and a lot after, bit of food, then a shower. Bed before midnight and fell asleep straight away. 2:30 am and I'm wide awake tossing and turning for the rest of the night.

Probably needed a piss.

tunney wrote: »
    F
    I
    N
    N

lol....nope. He's down by 7:30 and sleeps to 6:30 or 7 every night.

The cause of restless nights is often restless legs, magnesium helps with this a lot.

A supplement, a bath in epsom salts just before bed, or a magnesium spray on the legs (particularly the backs of the knees) should make a difference :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Hey Paul, pick me up some magnesium when you're in evergreen would ya. Cheers

That or sleeping tablets :D

Cheers. Supplement or would you recommend foods that have it naturally. I always have a banana after a tough session and tend to have some peanut butter and oat cakes before bed too.

Naturally is always best but you can always uses a supplement to see if it makes a difference to you. I take a Magnesium Citrate tablet because I drink a fair whack of coffee and it balances out nicely.

Re the 2:30 / 3am awake this often is an issue with liver function. I had an unbelievable insomnia episode where same time every night for months I was awake (think you spotted my tweets or something ;) ) mentioned it to Derek King who promptly targeted my liver.

Solved that problem right away - known as frozen liver.

(And no the coffee and insomnia are not linked in my case)

I'll get you some when I'm in there BTH.

Cheers Sean. I wake and drift off to sleep shortly after again. That happens a few times. during the night. I never check the time but will do to see how it aligns with Dereks theories.

And just to mention liver function is linked with stress and cortisol levels so its becoming circular too.

Don't forget to include life & work stresses when looking at the picture, don't just thing training stress.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

googling frozen liver just turns up a bunch of recipes....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Naturally is always best but you can always uses a supplement to see if it makes a difference to you. I take a Magnesium Citrate tablet because I drink a fair whack of coffee and it balances out nicely.

Re the 2:30 / 3am awake this often is an issue with liver function. I had an unbelievable insomnia episode where same time every night for months I was awake (think you spotted my tweets or something ;) ) mentioned it to Derek King who promptly targeted my liver.

(And no the coffee and insomnia are not linked in my case)
    How?

Interesting thread

Green&Red wrote: »
    How?

Interesting thread

Accupuncture - around the ankles and front of shin I believe for liver function. I go to Derek also and even though he is a chartered physio he likes to think outside the box and is very well trained across alternative methods.

I hear what you're saying about life and work stress Sean and I had considered that too. It only happens after an evening turbo where the work is worked. As Fran mentioned I'll see if getting the turbo done earlier helps. I'll also be trying some Mg.

ZMA and 5-HTP before bed. I was a light sleeper, now dead to the world until someone jumps on me.

ZMA and 5-HTP before bed. I was a light sleeper, now dead to the world until someone jumps on me.

do you take them or give them to the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

BTH wrote: »
    Probably needed a piss.

Ha, should have added after I went to the jacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I go thru cycles of very poor sleep and I do think there is a correlation between that and a quality session just before bed and/or accumulated fatigue in the body/muscles. However, I do take magnesium...but I take it in the morning. Are you boys suggesting I should take it in the evening to help with sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

have the same issue after swimming twice a week, not in til 9 out at 10 / 10-15 awake half the night, will try the magnesium..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

to recommend 5-htp on a forum might not be wise.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3415362/

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Could it just be that BTH's Copenhagen mind games are starting to get to you???

Could it just be that BTH's Copenhagen mind games are starting to get to you???

i'm going to need a lot of popcorn between now and august

d80092eef5b3da9c2145fd743aebeb96.jpg

peter kern wrote: »
    to recommend 5-htp on a forum might not be wise.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3415362/

Good article, heavily focused on the depression side of things.

But:
    2. Melatonin- 5- HTP increases the amount of melatonin in the body, which helps people to sleep properly.

3. Weight Loss- A deficiency in serotonin often causes people to overeat, so the supplement may be an effective weight loss supplement for people who eat when they are in certain moods.

I never looked into the depression side much as I would be of the opinion that if you have a chemical imbalance you need medical help, and if you are depressed as a result of extraneous factors then no pill will make you happy until they are addressed.

Also if you are dicking with home remedies for mental health - there be dragons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Also if you are dicking with home remedies for mental health - there be dragons.

Bang on.

If its muscle fatigue causing twitching and restlessness then nothing better than an epsome bath. You could warm down after hard late session too. Like last 10 mins super easy to flush out the legs.

If its mental, not even to the extent of depression, just your mind turning over then none of the remedies will work. You need to address root cause.

Each to their own but I rely on supplements as a last resort.

For legs turning over - a salty poached egg on toast and milk before bed.
    For mind turning over - notebook to scribble down whatever it is, or send myself an email if work related. Its amazing that, once relieved of the mind, how easily you fall back to sleep. Plus the pure drivel you write down when you look at it the next morning can give you a laugh.

For mind turning over - notebook to scribble down whatever it is, or send myself an email if work related. Its amazing that, once relieved of the mind, how easily you fall back to sleep. Plus the pure drivel you write down when you look at it the next morning can give you a laugh.

I find the tactile nature of pen and paper much more effective!

I was chatting with someone about this yesterday and 2 other things were mentioned that might be of use to people.

1) Disturbed sleep can also be an indicator of overtraining;
    2) If you are doing a detox (lent for example and cutting out the crap), this can stress the body and have an impact on sleep if it coincides with an increase in training or simply being in calorific deficit by from your normal training load.

P

• Advertisement

so what did you give up for lent P? do you think it might be a factor?

Advertisement