Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

mossym wrote: »
    so what did you give up for lent P? do you think it might be a factor?

I gave up crisps, chocolate, sweets, etc. I can eat up 12 to 15 bags of crisps a week and 2 bars of chocolate a day. Some of the crisps are the big bags of Kettle, Keoghs and the likes. Add to that some sweets - typically jellies and removing them probably did have an impact. I noticed towards the end of last week that the disturbed sleep wasn't just happening when I was training in the evening. It happened 3 or 4 nights in a row.

I don't believe it's over training as I'm not clocking enough hours for that.

I had some acupuncture on Monday and I have been sleeping great since.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Inflammation has natural peak at 3-4am.

So the damage in tissues, from hard session, which is inflamed (and making you stronger) will be peaking then, and you are not moving to pump the metabolites out either in sleep. This can cause restlessness and waking.

If sleep badly disturbed, walk around for 2min then back to bed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pgibbo wrote: »
    I gave up crisps, chocolate, sweets, etc. I can eat up 12 to 15 bags of crisps a week and 2 bars of chocolate a day. Some of the crisps are the big bags of Kettle, Keoghs and the likes. Add to that some sweets - typically jellies and removing them probably did have an impact. I noticed towards the end of last week that the disturbed sleep wasn't just happening when I was training in the evening. It happened 3 or 4 nights in a row.

I don't believe it's over training as I'm not clocking enough hours for that.

I had some acupuncture on Monday and I have been sleeping great since.

P.

how the hell do you stay at racing weight eating all that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

mossym wrote:
    how the hell do you stay at racing weight eating all that!!!

Was thinking the exact same. I'm after putting on weight just reading that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I use lent to kick start the cleanup of the diet every year. I usually go back eating crap after lent but start to scale it back as race season approaches. I typically cut it out before the season starts and eat clean with the exception of parties and holidays. It's usually all or nothing with me for the sweet and savoury stuff. Once race season finishes it's back to the goodies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I hate you P!!!

I just gained a kg reading that post :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

sconhome wrote: »
    Naturally is always best but you can always uses a supplement to see if it makes a difference to you. I take a Magnesium Citrate tablet because I drink a fair whack of coffee and it balances out nicely.

Re the 2:30 / 3am awake this often is an issue with liver function. I had an unbelievable insomnia episode where same time every night for months I was awake (think you spotted my tweets or something ;) ) mentioned it to Derek King who promptly targeted my liver.

Solved that problem right away - known as frozen liver.

(And no the coffee and insomnia are not linked in my case)

I've had a couple of queries about this ^ and as it's general information and quite interesting I've a few posts to throw up here that I found useful explanation.

If your liver is not functioning properly ( a blood test at last annual health check 2 years ago flagged this) then the adrenals kick into play at 3am https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk/posts/131793176/why-do-i-always-wake-up-at-3am-%E2%80%93-a-simple-solution

I think what is confusing is that 'frozen liver' is possibly Derek's own words for the status of a slumbering liver brought on by stress.

Also worth checking out adrenal fatigue as training induces stress too.

A pre-sleep drink may help too:
    Adrenal Cocktail Recipe
    ½ cup orange juice
    ½ teaspoon cream of tarter
    ½ teaspoon Himalayan or Celtic salt
    • Fresh squeezed orange juice gives the liver glucose it needs to regenerate.
    • Cream of tartar is high in potassium, an element that is essential for the sodium/potassium balance in cells, vital organs (liver), muscles, nerves, and the digestive system.
    • Himalayan salt, contains 84 essential minerals and elements found in the human body, helping feed the adrenals and refresh body’s the sodium/potassium pump

Just mix all the ingredients and drink before bed.

Advertisement