Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flying and pregnant

Options
  • 02-03-2016 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

This has probably been asked several times before but does anyone know would I be correct in saying the second trimester is safe to fly in isn't it? We were thinking of going away for a week somewhere and I wanted to make sure. I heard that the first and last were dodgy? Also would I be right in saying going somewhere hot is a no no? Read this online but wasn't sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

This has probably been asked several times before but does anyone know would I be correct in saying the second trimester is safe to fly in isn't it? We were thinking of going away for a week somewhere and I wanted to make sure. I heard that the first and last were dodgy? Also would I be right in saying going somewhere hot is a no no? Read this online but wasn't sure

If your pregnancy is straight forward and your Obstetrician has no issues with you flying then you're perfectly safe to do so. I think the cut off date with airlines (without good reason for travelling) is 32/33 weeks. This is more due to the increased chance that you could go into labour during the flight as opposed to anything else.
    Women in hot countries have babies all of the time. The heat might make you more uncomfortable but wouldn't harm your baby.
    I'm 25/26 weeks pregnant and just back from a week in the Canaries. I had no issues at all with flying nor did the airline or my Obstetrician.
    On my previous pregnancy I flew quite a bit up until I was 31 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

If your pregnancy is straight forward and your Obstetrician has no issues with you flying then you're perfectly safe to do so. I think the cut off date with airlines (without good reason for travelling) is 32/33 weeks. This is more due to the increased chance that you could go into labour during the flight as opposed to anything else.
    Women in hot countries have babies all of the time. The heat might make you more uncomfortable but wouldn't harm your baby.
    I'm 25/26 weeks pregnant and just back from a week in the Canaries. I had no issues at all with flying nor did the airline or my Obstetrician.
    On my previous pregnancy I flew quite a bit up until I was 31 weeks.

Thanks Penny Dreadful, this will be my first so its all new to me, so thanks a million for the advise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Thanks Penny Dreadful, this will be my first so its all new to me, so thanks a million for the advise!

You're more than welcome. Its quite the fact finding journey being pregnant:)
    Mention it to your doctor when you next see them (or call if you won't be seeing them before hand) and once they give the go ahead you'll be grand.

I stayed in Europe on my trips - went as far afield as Spain (sailing around the Balearics, was grand but not 100% sure I'd do it again at 24 weeks pregnant), Basque country, Sweden, Belgium, London (last time and this pregnancy too - I was only 15 weeks pregnant on this pregnancy when I went) and recently the Canaries.

The distances weren't too long during the flights, I drank water and got up and walked around a good bit to lessen the DVT risk. You can wear support stockings for that too.
    I found relaxing in the sunshine great, took time out to sit and read, have a gentle swim in the sea. A nice relaxed mum to be makes for a nice relaxed pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

There should be no issue travelling at your stage of the pregnancy.
    But do check that your travel insurance has you well covered in case you do need any care while abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

If you don't travel well, I'd consider only going somewhere local. I just flew from Dubai to Ireland and honestly, it's pretty exhausting. I'm 20 weeks pregnant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

When I found out I was pregnant, one of the first things the GP asked me was if I had any flights booked (I didn't) She then told me to not fly at all during my pregnancy. I never bothered asking her why as I hadn't any plans to travel, but I often wondered why she advised no travel? I know that the general advice is that travel is safe in the 2nd trimester if your pregnancy is straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

That's a bit odd! I flew long haul in first trimester no problems, obstetrician had no objections. She did put me on aspirin but only because there was a question over a clotting issue that runs in my family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

That's a bit odd! I flew long haul in first trimester no problems, obstetrician had no objections. She did put me on aspirin but only because there was a question over a clotting issue that runs in my family

It was odd, like I said, I didn't question it as I had no plans to fly, and then the appointment went on & I forgot to ask why! If I'm ever pregnant again I'll be sure to ask!

Advertisement