Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NPPR Proof of Address?

Options
  • 02-03-2016 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I'm looking for a small bit of advice please if anyone can assist. My house sale is currently going through & solicitors are going back & forth at the moment. My solicitor looked for a long list of things from me & I can understand that hes being thorough in doing this.

One thing that I have to do is provide proof of address for the years 2009 & 2013 when the NPPR was in place. Our house was never rented but when we put it on the market, we did a big clearout & all old documents went to the shredder! I found stuff for 2013 but 2009 is a massive thorn in my side.

Utility bills were in my mothers name so they're no good to me unfortunately. My P60 goes to work so that also a dead end. I got a copy of a mortgage statement but need something else. I got printouts of credit union statements for 2009 but because the date at the top is 2016, the solicitor reckons the council won't accept these!

Can anyone who has experience of this give me ideas of what I can use please? Utility bills & P60 are out & my brain is fried from paperwork!

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Smiley11 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a small bit of advice please if anyone can assist. My house sale is currently going through & solicitors are going back & forth at the moment. My solicitor looked for a long list of things from me & I can understand that hes being thorough in doing this.

One thing that I have to do is provide proof of address for the years 2009 & 2013 when the NPPR was in place. Our house was never rented but when we put it on the market, we did a big clearout & all old documents went to the shredder! I found stuff for 2013 but 2009 is a massive thorn in my side.

Utility bills were in my mothers name so they're no good to me unfortunately. My P60 goes to work so that also a dead end. I got a copy of a mortgage statement but need something else. I got printouts of credit union statements for 2009 but because the date at the top is 2016, the solicitor reckons the council won't accept these!

Can anyone who has experience of this give me ideas of what I can use please? Utility bills & P60 are out & my brain is fried from paperwork!

TIA

The requirements vary between County Councils but your solicitor should know what the local ones are if he's local but you could ask them your self what they will/wont accept. If any bill was in your name you could ask that institution for a reprint, i have heard of people doing that.

I had to get a sworn affidavit to satisfy my council, no bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Electoral Register?
    Not one I've tried myself, but if you were on it, it must be possible to find a record of it.

Failing that, a P60 may be out by revenue might still be able to issue something from that time period.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Smiley11

Thanks so much for the replies..surely they could have offered me the option of the sworn affidavit when I told them I was having these issues! I'll call revenue anyway but will definitely be enquiring about the affidavit. Its ridiculous having to provide proofs for a now defunct "tax" that never applied to us anyway but that's our country I suppose! Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Bord gais were able to give us bills for the specific dates required in each years.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

My coco would not accept p60s or a sworn affidavit - we had to get a utility company to reissue copies of statements - which they did without quibble. Note also that you need to provide proof for all years from 2009 to 2013 so 5 pieces of evidence (not sure if it's a typo in your post or a misunderstanding )

• Advertisement

My coco would not accept p60s or a sworn affidavit - we had to get a utility company to reissue copies of statements - which they did without quibble. Note also that you need to provide proof for all years from 2009 to 2013 so 5 pieces of evidence (not sure if it's a typo in your post or a misunderstanding )

The requirement varies wildly between CC's so they may only look for one at the start and one at end but id be surprised give they are looking for them if they didn't want all years.

I heard one CC just wanted a form filled in and returned no other paperwork! I was annoyed gat the time having to get the affidavit but in hindsight it was fine.

This is Cork city council so I'm not sure what their requirement is but my solicitor wants proof of address for 2009 & 2013 only &2 proofs each. Bills are a no go thus far. Eir only maintain records for a couple of years & only have our records since 2011 & my mother can't remember who she was with before that. Oil heating so Bord Gais are out. I emailed Electric Ireland to no avail & couldn't get through to them on the phone.

I don't pay any of the bills so I got a copy of a mortgage statement & credit union statement & these won't suffice apparently. I'll have to grill her about the phone again because her P60 probably won't be good enough. I never thought it would be so difficult to get 4 documents together & I'm worried that it will delay the sale!

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Is this requirement not going to create more & more trouble as the years go by? It will be extremely difficult to offer proof as we move further away from the NPPR years.
    My banking is online & I regularly change utility companies & those bills are also online.

OP - hope you get sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

This is Cork city council so I'm not sure what their requirement is but my solicitor wants proof of address for 2009 & 2013 only &2 proofs each. Bills are a no go thus far. Eir only maintain records for a couple of years & only have our records since 2011 & my mother can't remember who she was with before that. Oil heating so Bord Gais are out. I emailed Electric Ireland to no avail & couldn't get through to them on the phone.

I don't pay any of the bills so I got a copy of a mortgage statement & credit union statement & these won't suffice apparently. I'll have to grill her about the phone again because her P60 probably won't be good enough. I never thought it would be so difficult to get 4 documents together & I'm worried that it will delay the sale!

Thanks guys.

Did you have a bank account. The bank will have a record of your addresses
    during those years.

I never thought it would be so difficult to get 4 documents together & I'm worried that it will delay the sale!

I know its not a great option (and would kill me to do it) but I believe that if it came down to it you could back pay it. Crap but if it was that or mess up the sale... its €800 if it comes down to it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Rew wrote: »
    I know its not a great option (and would kill me to do it) but I believe that if it came down to it you could back pay it. Crap but if it was that or mess up the sale... its €800 if it comes down to it.

It is not €800. There are penalties. It would be €7,230 now.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    It is not €800. There are penalties. It would be €7,230 now.

Wow, ok scrap that idea!!

I wouldn't even entertain paying the €800 to be honest when the property was never rented. Its been a family home & I'm really annoyed that we have to provide "proof" of this. The sale process is awkward enough for us with an anal solicitor on the other side but this is a right pain with a newborn baby thrown into the mix! I'll just have to suck it up & get it sorted somehow. I'm really hoping an affidavit will suffice but I somehow doubt it as my solicitor is pretty thorough & would have suggested it when I explained my difficulties.

I agree with April that its going to become more & more difficult as time passes. I know plenty of people didn't register for NPPR but it irks me that I'm not one of them but still have to prove it was a primary residence years after the fact.

Thanks all for your input, I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

We had no choice, had to get a utility bill and had closed our utility accounts because we moved out a year ago.
    Bord gais gave us copies which was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

Oh dear, Oh dear, am I feeling your pain! It is now 2018 and I have to provide proof of address for all years from 2009 - 2013. It's with Donegal County Council and the list of viable options are quite slim. Utility bills, bank statements, credit union statements not acceptable, I'm at my wits end! Two of the companies I worked for during that time have long since disappeared, so can't get P60's, or letter from employers for that time. Didn't have a mortgage on the property to no joy there. NCT certs apparently are accepted, but who the heck has them 9 years later, I can't even remember the bloody car I drove in 2009! Transfer of vehicle documents? What? Didn't have health insurance either, one of the few accepted documents, couldn't afford the thing at the time. Don't remember who I had my car insurance with over those years either, like most people I shopped around and went from Billy to Jack, depending on who was the most affordable. So it looks like I can't get clearance to sell my house and I'm definitely not paying a 7000 or more penalty when the house was my sole, permanent residence. I'm up a gum tree here... :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s bad.
    Dublin City will accept utility bills or a sworn affidavit.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

From the Donegal County Council Criteria...

Please note that utility bills, bank statements,
    TV licence, House Insurance nor Statutory
    Declarations are not sufficient to demonstrate
    that the property was the PPR of the owner.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

April 73 wrote: »
    Is this requirement not going to create more & more trouble as the years go by? It will be extremely difficult to offer proof as we move further away from the NPPR years.
    My banking is online & I regularly change utility companies & those bills are also online.

OP - hope you get sorted.

It is going to stop in 2025 when 12 years will have elapsed. From 2021, 2009 documents won't be needed and from 2022, 2010 docs won't be needed.
    It would probably be easier to declare an amnesty at some stage than have this messing go on for the next 7 years. the amount of money the councils are getting in from late payers must be down to a trickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is going to stop in 2025 when 12 years will have elapsed. From 2021, 2009 documents won't be needed and from 2022, 2010 docs won't be needed.
    It would probably be easier to declare an amnesty at some stage than have this messing go on for the next 7 years. the amount of money the councils are getting in from late payers must be down to a trickle.

I know someone who paid the 7k to get a house sold as he couldn't find anything for some years. So if the trickle is mostly people paying the large sum now I don't see any amnesty - yet.

L1011 wrote: »
    I know someone who paid the 7k to get a house sold as he couldn't find anything for some years. So if the trickle is mostly people paying the large sum now I don't see any amnesty - yet.

7k might be a large sum to a house seller but it must be costing the councils a lot to administer the scheme. Salaries have to be paid to staff dealing with exempted cases where no money comes in. It may also be causing houses to stay off the market resulting in a lower supply of housing and consequently higher prices,rents and homelessness costs.
    It may be that by 2020 or 021 that there is an overwhelming case for a pragmatic approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

7k might be a large sum to a house seller but it must be costing the councils a lot to administer the scheme. Salaries have to be paid to staff dealing with exempted cases where no money comes in. It may also be causing houses to stay off the market resulting in a lower supply of housing and consequently higher prices,rents and homelessness costs.
    It may be that by 2020 or 021 that there is an overwhelming case for a pragmatic approach.

The staff won't be doing this full time and most exempted cases are going to be quite easy to process; I suspect the number of houses being held off the market for that long could be counted on one hand as the maintenance expenses over the time period would outweigh the NPPR cost.

Every minute a member of staff spends on processing an exempt sale, which the vast majority are, has to be paid for. Is it worth doing all of that work in order to obtain a handful of payments of €7k?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

kceire wrote:
    That’s bad. Dublin City will accept utility bills or a sworn affidavit.

Ive just done a sworn affidavit with SDCC for this, no bills etc.
    shuffle65 wrote:
    From the Donegal County Council Criteria...

Donegal is full of holiday homes hence the questionable criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jolhm87

How did you fair with Donegal County Council since? Going through this myself now. Was 20 at the time and never changed my address with Revenue etc until 2015!! Never even thought I'd need to prove I lived in my own house! I can still see all the old letters I threw into the fire not two months ago as I was clearing out all the old junk I definitely won't need to take to the new house! Go figure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Was anyone in college at the time?
    I emailed Electric Ireland to no avail & couldn't get through to them on the phone.
    Talk to them here: https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1349

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jolhm87

I was in college yeah. Lived at home when I registered and never changed it with them after we bought the house unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 emz2021

jimmy just wondering if the sworn affidavid was enough? did you also need bills ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 emz21

hi jimmy, did they except the sworn affidavit or did they come back to you looking for more? 20 days till closing and this has just came up now so we have sent in the sworn affidavit and hoping the dont look for bills ect as time isnt on our side, we only baught the house end of 2013, the cert from the previous owner was never completed.

Advertisement