Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The G.A.A. - A Good or Bad thing?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingMonkey

the gaa is a ball of shi.te,they are only for themselves and everyone associated with it i feel sorry for them,it is about time it was disbanded,pathetic malingerers....a complete waste of time they dont care about results or organisation they only care about money.useless coc,ksuckers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

KingMonkey wrote:
    ....a complete waste of time they dont care about results or organisation they only care about money.useless coc,ksuckers

As opposed to other sporting organisations who have no care for money at all.

You can see their annual accounts on-line to see where all the money goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingMonkey

As opposed to other sporting organisations who have no care for money at all.

You can see their annual accounts on-line to see where all the money goes.

obviously u are another pro gaa plant involved in this hoodoo

tbh its quite pathetic,a disgrace if u will

yay another replay,more money for the grab all association

i cannot think of the last time they did anything good for anyone

a shower of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

KingMonkey wrote: »
    they are only for themselves and everyone associated with it

They're hardly going to be in it for Indian cricketers or South American pan pipe players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

the gaa is a ball of shi.te,they are only for themselves and everyone associated with it i feel sorry for them,it is about time it was disbanded,pathetic malingerers....a complete waste of time they dont care about results or organisation they only care about money.useless coc,ksuckers

You need to get out a bit more bud...;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

Dumb Facebook Posts Thread
    >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

obviously u are another pro gaa plant involved in this hoodoo

tbh its quite pathetic,a disgrace if u will

yay another replay,more money for the grab all association

i cannot think of the last time they did anything good for anyone

a shower of ****
    If you train really hard you might make the Under 14s next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Great if you play......disadvantaging if you're not.

I've seen brothers, nephews etc excel in life due to playing, having support from community etc. I've never had an interest and I've gotten "I didn't know you existed" on numerous occasions despite being involved with other things in community. I've also seen gaa players get further ahead in career purely down to profile than work ethic or skill.

I guess if you're good at it and are involved it's great but if not it can mean less opportunities opened, in my experience

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

caille wrote: »
    My idea of Hell is being trapped in a room where GAA matches are being played 24 hours on TV, with radio commentary going on simultaneously. And where the only people in the room are GAA heads, talking about GAA.

You could replace GAA with pretty anything there and I'm sure most people would agree. But thanks for sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

368100 wrote: »
    Great if you play......disadvantaging if you're not.

I've seen brothers, nephews etc excel in life due to playing, having support from community etc. I've never had an interest and I've gotten "I didn't know you existed" on numerous occasions despite being involved with other things in community. I've also seen gaa players get further ahead in career purely down to profile than work ethic or skill.

I guess if you're good at it and are involved it's great but if not it can mean less opportunities opened, in my experience

Very well put, I grew up in the country and never had an interest and I felt excluded and really isolated as a result. I come from a strong GAA family and they were completely accepted by the community but I was almost an afterthought, just because I didn't go to matches or want to go.

And what I detested most of all (and still do) is the way the GAA look after their own, with jobs, other supports etc. Absolutely disgusting, its just a me fein organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

And what I detested most of all (and still do) is the way the GAA look after their own, with jobs, other supports etc. Absolutely disgusting, its just a me fein organisation.

Well... maybe you describe how the FAI or IRFU (or any other sporting body of note in the country) look after non-members/fans/players? I mean compare like with like, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Well... maybe you describe how the FAI or IRFU (or any other sporting body of note in the country) look after non-members/fans/players? I mean compare like with like, right?

I'm sure that happens too.

What I disagree with is how participating in an unrelated discipline can advantage someone in their career over someone who has put more commitment and and higher level of skill into the same job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

368100 wrote: »
    I'm sure that happens too.

What I disagree with is how participating in an unrelated discipline can advantage someone in their career over someone who has put more commitment and and higher level of skill into the same job
    Exactly not what the way they should be probably doing stuff when we could be having a possible thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

****ing disgusting is right. How dare their members engage in networking! I especially hate the way they have the audacity to rally around members with depression, addiction, ill-health etc. Would you like some salt and vinegar for that chip on your shoulder?

armaghlad wrote: »
    ****ing disgusting is right. How dare their members engage in networking! I especially hate the way they have the audacity to rally around members with depression, addiction, ill-health etc. Would you like some salt and vinegar for that chip on your shoulder?

No thanks, don't actually have chips on me right now, I stand by what I said and from my own long experience. So there :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

No thanks, don't actually have chips on me right now, I stand by what I said and from my own long experience. So there :-)
    Well up yours :p

armaghlad wrote: »
    Well up yours :p

Right back at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I can't stand that King of the GAA fella, Mehall o Murrayhurtig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

There are so many that make good money from the GAA, journos, tv commentators, celebrities etc while the those doing the hard work i.e the players do it all for free.
    Its time for the GAA to pony up...same as the IRFU and FAI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

signostic wrote: »
    There are so many that make good money from the GAA, journos, tv commentators, celebrities etc while the those doing the hard work i.e the players do it all for free.
    Its time for the GAA to pony up...same as the IRFU and FAI

There isn't enough money currently to pay the players and the players know that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Exactly not what the way they should be probably doing stuff when we could be having a possible thing.

Wha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Im amazed at people saying how GAA look after their own with jobs etc..
    Why shouldnt they??? These players train 5/6 nights a week. Sacrifice social/family life for their clubs/county without the big soccer payout at the end of the week.
    Hurling is one of the most skillful games you could watch and the fact that this is a "hobby" makes it all the more outstanding.

Yes some players are sorted with jobs but I would imagine they would also have to have qualifications and ability to qualify.

Some of the posters make it sound like lads that arent qualified just walk into jobs just because they're involved in GAA ..Dont think its as easy as that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Rackard

sabat wrote: »
    Obviously? Because they take frees from a different distance and have to wear skirts? That's like saying Serena Williams isn't playing tennis because they only play 3 sets.

Frees from a different distance
    Can catch ball 3 times
    Can handpass ball into the goal
    Can drop their hurley
    Cannot tackle with shoulder
    Have to use tape on their hurleys where the metal band is.
    Use a smaller ball

I'm sure there's plenty more but that's off the top of my head.
    Sounds obviously different to me anyway.

Tennis is under the one umbrella too - Camogie are their own organisation.
    If they want to reduce to 7 a side, they can. Won't impact on hurling.

By your reckoning, hockey is probably the same sport as hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

SAMTALK wrote: »
    some of the posters make it sound like lads that arent qualified just walk into jobs just because they're involved in GAA ..Dont think its as easy as that tbh.
    Have you never heard of the Civil Service ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

PressRun wrote: »
    I think the Wiley brothers who play for Monaghan are Protestant. Don't know if they've ever been on the receiving any of any religion-based abuse, but I haven't heard of it if they were.

To be fair though, players get sledged on all sorts of ****e these days. You do hear the "horror stories" from time to time regarding the abuse some players have supposedly gotten, but tbh, I think, for the most part, it's fairly harmless stuff and most people are well able to handle themselves in the face of such nonsense. Sledging can be hard enough for refs to police as well. Players would be cute enough in making sure they aren't heard.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/monaghan-sectarian-abuse-row-escalates-as-clubs-trade-barbs-29267500.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Im amazed at people saying how GAA look after their own with jobs etc..
    Why shouldnt they??? These players train 5/6 nights a week. Sacrifice social/family life for their clubs/county without the big soccer payout at the end of the week.
    Hurling is one of the most skillful games you could watch and the fact that this is a "hobby" makes it all the more outstanding.

Yes some players are sorted with jobs but I would imagine they would also have to have qualifications and ability to qualify.

Some of the posters make it sound like lads that arent qualified just walk into jobs just because they're involved in GAA ..Dont think its as easy as that tbh.

I've seen how the D4, Rugger, Old boys network work and it is nepotism at its finest. I remember a barman, where I worked, being offered a job in Irish Life for no other reason than he was a son of an ex Irish Rugby international.

GAA tends to be trying to keep a lad in the local club or county or even worse, in the country, because he'll emigrate. Some don't really need that.

Michael Murphy had the chance to go to Aussie rules but declined it, this was when Donegal were considered a soft touch and got hammered by the likes of Cork and Armagh by 15 points or so, an object of derision really.

All Ireland medals were far from a realistic goal, even winning an Ulster title was a long shot. Murphy went to DCU as well so no job offer to keep him here.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Full of bigots. A good place for those who think they are more Irish than the rest of us yet they've always been closely tied in with a well known Middle Eastern religious cult from getting a weirdo in a dress who'll lecture you on your sex life to throw the ball in on cup final day to having blokes from the same organisation batter kids to play the chosen sport.

Liam Brady and Douglas Hyde are just two that have dared cross the bigots who are the essence of small time Ireland.

Wake up Rip. It's 2016.

Advertisement