Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job Issues

Options
  • 02-03-2016 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I applied for a position within a large company and was asked to come for interview. When I arrived there the job they were interviewing my for was different to what I applied for but I didn't mind as it looked like I could do it. I was offered the position and gave them all my paperwork so I could be set up with hr/payroll.

My first week was fine, I was being trained by the person who was leaving and was told that I would be looking after all employees paperwork/wages etc. My second week was alot different. I was expected to input everyones wages into the system for payroll but I hadn't received any training on it bar 20 mins with the person who was leaving who basically showed me how to log and the layout of the complicated system. On Friday I was very nervous that everyones wages would be messed up as there was nobody to check them and my boss said that they had to be done by the end of the day and the sooner that I took responsibility the better. I have no problem taking responsibility and have had loads of responsibilities in previous rolls but I do need to be trained first!

Anyway I have been trying to get my employee number so I can start getting paid and nobody would reply to me regarding it. I was very worried as I have spoken to people and they have been there over a month and aren't set up with HR/Payroll yet.

I emailed my boss yesterday explaining that until I get paid I will not be returning to work and explained that I cannot afford to travel in and out everyday.

My boss called my father as he is my next of kin saying she was worried about my health!!! I was out sick previously and she called and text him then also. As far as I knew they are not allowed to ring next of kin unless there is an emergency?????? I know I've probably shot myself in the foot by not going into work but are they allowed to do this?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How long are you with the company in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This is my 4th/5th week

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What-to-do wrote: »
    This is my 4th/5th week

And you'd already had a period of sick leave and have now effectively gone on strike?

As for contacting your father, they are entitled to your next of kin details, do you know did they try to contact you before contacting him?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sorry, but such extreme passive-aggressive behaviour is an indicator of mental health problems. Boss's actions quite reasonable.

I agree that they should have set you up to be paid - but wonder if the reason it's not been done is something to do with you. Did you ask the person who was leaving how it would be handled.

I'd strongly suggest a visit to your GP to get a sick certificate for this week, and an apology to the manager. And some job-hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

only starting and you causing this much hassle

I understand about the payment but my god they will fire you and hire someone else within a week no problem and you wont be able to do anything.

And in this economy were work is hard to get your really pushing it to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Contact next of kin when you informed your manager why you won't be at work, that is just a spiteful manager and no one could condone it. Waiting over a month for an employee number and maybe 2 months for wages is also ridiculous.
    You might have taken the extreme option but you are right to not just sit and take it as most on here seemingly would happy to do so.
    Look for a new job, that company sounds toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Maybe the OP was to set herself on the Payroll software seen as she is in charge of Payroll?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Sorry, but such extreme passive-aggressive behaviour is an indicator of mental health problems. Boss's actions quite reasonable.

What absolute nonsense.
    Senna wrote: »
    Contact next of kin when you informed your manager why you won't be at work, that is just a spiteful manager and no one could condone it.

+1

OP I'd usually recommend someone give any new position a few months before making any decisions. Based on what you've stated already, I think it's time you started looking for another job.

You didn't handle the issue of your own pay as well as you might have. Something to keep in mind for the next job.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Maybe the OP was to set herself on the Payroll software seen as she is in charge of Payroll?

Considering s/he doesn't have an employee number, they can't just start paying themselves wages without being in the system.

Considering s/he doesn't have an employee number, they can't just start paying themselves wages without being in the system.

You might not be issued a works number straight away but if you email management/HR they could have given the go ahead and approve your inclusion.

I think the OP was a little over the top deciding not to come in but I also think the manager was wrong to contact the OPs father.

• Advertisement

You might not be issued a works number straight away but if you email management/HR they could have given the go ahead and approve your inclusion.

I think the OP was a little over the top deciding not to come in but I also think the manager was wrong to contact the OPs father.

But that didn't happen, op contacted HR and no response.
    As said the op when for the extreme option but if I was in their shoes, I'd be out the door, life's to short for that kind of working environment.

But that didn't happen, op contacted HR and no response

Sorry missed that bit in the OPs post.

I wasn't paid for 6 weeks (paid monthly) when I started my last job. It would never had occurred to me to just not turn up as jobs were hard to come by when I started there.

Sorry missed that bit in the OPs post.

I wasn't paid for 6 weeks (paid monthly) when I started my last job. It would never had occurred to me to just not turn up as jobs were hard to come by when I started there.

But were you also not trained, given an important task like employees wages entry and told to "get on with it" and have your boss phone your father out of spite?

But were you also not trained, given an important task like employees wages entry and told to "get on with it" and have your boss phone your father out of spite?

For the first three weeks no training was given. I joined in the middle of a very busy period and work was left for me to do, that someone applying for my job should have the required skills to be able to complete the tasks, until it quietend down and more time could be spent on training.

Are we sure the boss wasn't worried about the OP?

The OP was trained in for a week wasn't s/he? It was just one area, payroll responsibility that the issue seems to be besides not being paid themselves.

Also it's not clear from the OP if the job they applied for would have required prior experience or not? Assuming no prior experience was required then it was indeed unfair to expect so much so soon. However if the OP had worked in similar roles previously maybe it was assumed she would have the required skills and knowledge.

For the first three weeks no training was given. I joined in the middle of a very busy period and work was left for me to do, that someone applying for my job should have the required skills to be able to complete the tasks, until it quietend down and more time could be spent on training.

The OP was trained in for a week wasn't s/he? It was just one area, payroll responsibility that the issue seems to be besides not being paid themselves.

Also it's not clear from the OP if the job they applied for would have required prior experience or not? Assuming no prior experience was required then it was indeed unfair to expect so much so soon. However if the OP had worked in similar roles previously maybe it was assumed she would have the required skills and knowledge.

I'll let the op answer, but just from reading the opening post, job given was now what was applied for, training first week didn't include what had to be done second week.

Hi Everyone,

The job I applied for was a specific administration role. I come from an accounts background so I would have definitely needed training for it (and I did receive some for a small part of the work I was doing). I wouldn't have minded trying figure some of it out myself but there was nobody there to check if I was doing anything right so I did not know if I was messing up or not. I have never worked with peoples wages before and was very uncomfortable with the responsibility I was given with no training. I did not appreciate my boss saying that I needed to take responsibility for things and figure it out when I asked her anything. I think that in all honesty she didn't know how to do them because she started the week before I did!

When I returned to work from being ill other staff members said that they didn't think I would have come back after what had happened and how I was being treated.

My boss called my dad for no reason, it was not my mental health she was worried about. She told him she was worried because she hadn't heard from me even though I had informed her that I would not be returning to work until I was paid. Since then I emailed her asking her not to contact my father and that I would only speak through email because I wanted any communication documented and she left me a voicemail saying she understood that but wanted me to call her anyway.

I know I was quick to leave and my job is probably gone but from what I have been told it was normal for people not to get paid and I was not comfortable working there under the conditions I was.

Hi Everyone,

The job I applied for was a specific administration role. I come from an accounts background so I would have definitely needed training for it (and I did receive some for a small part of the work I was doing). I wouldn't have minded trying figure some of it out myself but there was nobody there to check if I was doing anything right so I did not know if I was messing up or not. I have never worked with peoples wages before and was very uncomfortable with the responsibility I was given with no training. I did not appreciate my boss saying that I needed to take responsibility for things and figure it out when I asked her anything. I think that in all honesty she didn't know how to do them because she started the week before I did!

When I returned to work from being ill other staff members said that they didn't think I would have come back after what had happened and how I was being treated.

My boss called my dad for no reason, it was not my mental health she was worried about. She told him she was worried because she hadn't heard from me even though I had informed her that I would not be returning to work until I was paid. Since then I emailed her asking her not to contact my father and that I would only speak through email because I wanted any communication documented and she left me a voicemail saying she understood that but wanted me to call her anyway.

I know I was quick to leave and my job is probably gone but from what I have been told it was normal for people not to get paid and I was not comfortable working there under the conditions I was.

What sort of job is it? How many members of staff did you need to input payroll for? Are staff on salaries?

It's little consolation now but with all payroll software you can click into previous periods and check postings for each individual staff member.

Also if people are paid an hourly rate you only need enter the hours worked for that week/fortnight and the salary and the software will calculate gross and net for you.

My advice would be to go in Monday morning and apologise for leaving. Maybe you can salvage your job for the time being until you can find something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

My boss called my father as he is my next of kin saying she was worried about my health!!! I was out sick previously and she called and text him then also. As far as I knew they are not allowed to ring next of kin unless there is an emergency?????? I know I've probably shot myself in the foot by not going into work but are they allowed to do this?[/QUOTE]

Okay i work in HR and ive done a similar role to you (so much so i might pm you to see if its the same company) im gunna take it step by step with you.
    I applied for a position within a large company and was asked to come for interview. When I arrived there the job they were interviewing my for was different to what I applied for but I didn't mind as it looked like I could do it. I was offered the position and gave them all my paperwork so I could be set up with hr/payroll.

you accepted the role knowing what it was. No problem here. did they give you a time frame to be set up by HR (this can take a long time depending on the org, ive seen it take 3-4 weeks sometimes)
    My first week was fine, I was being trained by the person who was leaving and was told that I would be looking after all employees paperwork/wages etc

do you feel you received sufficient training? a week I feel is fair enough as long as you have someone to ask questions to after
    My second week was alot different. I was expected to input everyones wages into the system for payroll but I hadn't received any training on it bar 20 mins with the person who was leaving who basically showed me how to log and the layout of the complicated system.

firstly a tip for you going forward i know if just the way your talking but dont use that language at work to your Hr people (I received no training.. apart from the training of 20 mins that i had, that means you did have training if you didnt feel comfortable you should have said something) what did you spend the rest of the week doing?
    I am going to assume its putting in the hours: eg Sarah worked 8.5 hours on Monday.
    On Friday I was very nervous that everyones wages would be messed up as there was nobody to check them and my boss said that they had to be done by the end of the day and the sooner that I took responsibility the better

were anyone wages messed up? did you ask your boss to check them?
    Anyway I have been trying to get my employee number so I can start getting paid and nobody would reply to me regarding it. I was very worried as I have spoken to people and they have been there over a month and aren't set up with HR/Payroll yet.

like i said above this can take time its not as simple as filling out a form, revenue etc have to be contacted if you use Core HR its easier but not every company has this.

How many times did you contact HR to ask them had you been set up, ask them what could you do to assist etc?
    I emailed my boss yesterday explaining that until I get paid I will not be returning to work and explained that I cannot afford to travel in and out everyday.

If you did this to me I would tell you not to come back. you are on probation and seem to be a bit dramatic.

You tried to call your employers bluff and it looks like it didn't work. You dont mention in your post how often you approached HR or your boss to ask for help or to speed up the employee number issue.

You also dont mention if the boss tried to call you or contact you before calling your Dad.

From my reading of it and this is just my opinion and a little harsh it sounds like you had a bit of a hissy fit, didn't approach the boss or HR to see what the problem was and decided to issue them an ultimatum.

By emailing the boss and not approaching them directly you also shoot yourself in the foot, why not just talk to them? talking about emailing and documenting things is ridiculous and overly dramatic when your only in the door its not like they are deliberately trying to piss you off by not giving you an employee number they are probs busy or have forgotten (not good but it happens)

Ringing your Dad wasnt cool but im guessing your maybe a bit younger? (again just an assumption) and they were worried about you. If you were sick before and she rang it sounds like she didnt get your email before she rang him. Her first port of call would be to ring you then follow up. You didnt say if you sent the email first and then followed up to say you would not be attending work.

Long story short yes you have shot yourself in the foot and yes they were right to do it.

From my POV id be letting you go because of what I said above, no one wants drama or trouble at work life is hard enough :-)

Best of luck with it though hope it works out for you.

The week before I started I came in to fill out paperwork etc and I was told I would be paid my second week there. I emailed/contacted HR EVERYDAY asking for updates and if there was anything I could do to speed up the process.

A weeks training is fair enough but there was nobody to query things with going forward. When I did I was told to take responsibility.

The payroll system was not like that at all. There was about 50 different areas where people worked (site cards) and you need to input the hours which is fine but I didn't know peoples pay code which would determine the hourly rate (there was about 20 different types with just letters e.g S1 C2 C3 etc) or their site card. Also peoples names weren't on the system. I did not know how to add them or input/remove sick days. Alot of peoples wages weren't right and from what I noticed it was a regular occurrence. I told my boss I wasn't confident with it and wanted someone to look over it and I was told that the sooner I take responsibility for things the better.

I am not young and have worked in many different place here and abroad and I have never seen anything like there.

Today I have been offered a new role in a new company who are aware of the company I have left and the problems within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

The week before I started I came in to fill out paperwork etc and I was told I would be paid my second week there. I emailed/contacted HR EVERYDAY asking for updates and if there was anything I could do to speed up the process.

then you did your due diligence so you are in the right
    A weeks training is fair enough but there was nobody to query things with going forward. When I did I was told to take responsibility.

this is a tough one, knowing when someone is totally trained in in a role is a fine line, it sounds like from what you are saying that you were not given the support you needed after training opposed to not being training which again is fair enough of you to say.
    The payroll system was not like that at all. There was about 50 different areas where people worked (site cards) and you need to input the hours which is fine but I didn't know peoples pay code which would determine the hourly rate (there was about 20 different types with just letters e.g S1 C2 C3 etc) or their site card. Also peoples names weren't on the system. I did not know how to add them or input/remove sick days. Alot of peoples wages weren't right and from what I noticed it was a regular occurrence.

1: report them to NERA, this is against the law and has serious repercussions for an organisation.

2: you should have been left a list of all the codes and what they meant.

3: im guessing that you saying this is a regular occurrence is because the person who trained you didn't really know what they were doing so it was a cycle of lack of knowledge, your boss their boss etc dont know whats going on.
    I told my boss I wasn't confident with it and wanted someone to look over it and I was told that the sooner I take responsibility for things the better.

your boss is an assh0le and you are better off. Bosses,managers,supervisors are there to support staff not tell them to suck it up. if youw ere there 2 weeks and told to take responsibility she either over estimated your skills and experience of she was over sold on your skills and experience.
    I am not young and have worked in many different place here and abroad and I have never seen anything like there.

i only raised this because of her ringing your dad, the only time I would ring someone's next of kin was if there was an emergency OR
    if they were a bit younger or inexperienced in the working world and i couldnt get though to them, even at that I wouldnt speak to them about the issue i would only say i am having difficulty contacting so and so can you get them to call me.
    Today I have been offered a new role in a new company who are aware of the company I have left and the problems within it.

best of luck in the new job! sounds like things have worked out for the better.

• Advertisement

The payroll system was not like that at all. There was about 50 different areas where people worked (site cards) and you need to input the hours which is fine but I didn't know peoples pay code which would determine the hourly rate (there was about 20 different types with just letters e.g S1 C2 C3 etc) or their site card. Also peoples names weren't on the system. I did not know how to add them or input/remove sick days. Alot of peoples wages weren't right and from what I noticed it was a regular occurrence. I told my boss I wasn't confident with it and wanted someone to look over it and I was told that the sooner I take responsibility for things the better.

OP I think if you had posted this first nearly everyone of us would have told you to walk.

That company is a ticking time bomb and Id guess the people in management are in over their heads.

I'd also agree with the previous poster and report them to NERA. There could and most likely are numerous employee working condition breaches.

Advertisement