Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Procedure for taxing vehicle online (after buying used)

Options
  • 02-03-2016 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently sold my car privately and then bought a used car from a dealer.
    Change of ownership is registered for my new car and I have the new VLC in hand.
    I just received a notification via email that the tax is due on my old car.

My question is :

How do I make the change to paying motor tax online for the new car and remove myself from the old car?

Thanks for any help on this topic.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Check the reg of the old car on www.motortax.ie. Vehicle status, the dealer should have transferred the car into their garage code.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it though, maybe contact the garage. You can't really do anything to take it out of your name yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the dealer should have transferred the car into their garage code.

I sold my car privately. So you're saying I'm not on the hook if the buyer never transfers the vehicle to his name?

I also want to know how to get a pin to pay tax for the new car or do I have to fill out a paper form?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cL0h wrote: »
    I sold my car privately. So you're saying I'm not on the hook if the buyer never transfers the vehicle to his name?

If you sold it privately then you the seller should have sent off the log book with the buyer's details on the change of ownership section filled in, you should not have given the log book to the buyer to do so.
    cL0h wrote: »
    I also want to know how to get a pin to pay tax for the new car or do I have to fill out a paper form?

If the new car is now in your name, you can request a new PIN on the motortax.ie website. They will issue you a PIN via email and you can tax the car online. Car needs to be transferred to you first though.

The car is transferred to me since I have the VLC (log book.)
    I entered my details at motortax.ie and got:
    "This vehicle is not eligible for online taxing. Please contact your local motor tax office."
    I also tried using the digits from the VLC as advised for new cars and that didn't work either.
    What are my options now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say you may have to make a trip into them, might be faster than trying to get hold of them on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

For the old car, you should have sent off the logbook with the buyers details on it, if they go through a toll etc, you'll be billed. Maybe contact them and see what's happening.

Advertisement