Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago-based holiday

Options
  • 02-03-2016 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I'm going to be spending a few weeks in Chicago later in the year. As I'm there for quite a while, can anyone recommend other cities or places to visit for a few days that would be able accessible from Chicago. I won't have access to a car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

I'm going to be spending a few weeks in Chicago later in the year. As I'm there for quite a while, can anyone recommend other cities or places to visit for a few days that would be able accessible from Chicago. I won't have access to a car.

Milwaukee is good for a couple of nights. We spent two nights there on our last visit to Chicago. It's about 90 minutes by train and the train runs very regularly. Some great bars and restaurants there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

A cabin on a train for a few nights is a relaxing way to see the country. They're really well run, clean, efficient. Its more expensive with a cabin but you're also saving on hotels. An overnight from Chicago and you'd be in New Orleans the next afternoon.

https://www.amtrak.com/midwest-train-routes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Milwaukee aside, which is a great spot, there are not a huge amount of places you can go within a few hours of the Chicago area without a car.

However, there are many cheap flight options, or as per the prior post, overnight trains you can take. Southwest does great deals for flights, Spirit and Frontier are the other main low cost airlines. I'd highly recommend New Orleans and Nashville. Toronto is a quick flight too.

Advertisement