Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai’s 2017 Ioniq EV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

They've done a very smart deal with GoCar/Europcar to cure range anxiety. Should swing a lot of people.

Link to IT article

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Could work out for them.

This is wrong in the article.

Arguably of more interest is the the Ioniq Plug-in which allows for full-electric drivability of more than 50km thanks to the 0.9-kWh lithium-ion polymer battery. This time around the 1.6 petrol engine is linked to a more powerful 61-bhp (45 kW) electric motor and CO2 emissions drop to 32g/km.

The 0.9 Kwh battery if for the Non plug in.

The Plug in has about 8 Kwh storage good for about 25 ish miles at about 60 mph.

It's insane they way they are allowed over rate the KM so much, that NEDC test again misleading potential buyers.

I would imagine the plug in to cost around 35,000 Euro's in Ireland making it poor value against the 30 Kwh Leaf and the Battery version of the Ioniq is likely to be cheaper then the PHEV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Nice looking car, €35k for a PHEV isn't bad, undercuts the Golf GTE and the Outlander by a lot.

No one knows the price yet, that was me guessing.

Considering the 300-340 Km (@100 Kph) Bolt or Ampera-E will cost 35K USD, and have 200 HP, that's a lot more than the Hyundai making the Hyundai pretty old Skool by comparison, especially when you add the 5 k grant and VRT relief the Ampera-E should appeal to many more people in 2 years.

I just hope Opel Ireland will import it, the Model 3 will be a good alternative and Leaf II and possibly a longer range I3 and Golf E.

We just need more than small hatch cars, a few Estates and Crossovers would be nice too !

I'd love to see a proper 7 seater EV - a reasonably priced car rather than the Tesla S and Nissan EV200 Van.

• Advertisement

7 Seaters are a rip off though, just look at the Galaxy !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Rumor is that the BEV Ioniq might undercut the Leaf in price.
    6.6kW charger as standard. Adaptive cruise control.

More importantly: 80kW CCS rapid charging (400V up to 200A, not 100kW like the marketing says). #dingdongCHAdeMOsdead

Competition is definitely needed to keep the EV momentum going.
    cros13 wrote: »
    #dingdongCHAdeMOsdead

The non-Leaf drivers will definitely be happy about that as the CCS rollout has been slow enough here. When do you think we'll see the first public CCS only site here? Are the CCS chargers behaving themselves now?

samih wrote: »
    When do you think we'll see the first public CCS only site here?

Probably 2018, too many CHAdeMO vehicles on the road here at the moment and the difference in price between single standard and triple head rapids is only a few hundred euro. Germany/Netherlands/France have rapidly increasing numbers of CCS-only rapids. We should see the number of CCS rapids in europe overall exceed the CHAdeMO install base in the next two to three months, even with Ireland and Estonia dragging down the numbers.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for ESB to wake up and start installing more CCS sites until Hyundai et al. scream at them and threaten bad press.
    samih wrote: »
    Are the CCS chargers behaving themselves now?

Yup, I'd actually call CCS a little more reliable than the CHAdeMO side. Though occassionally the CCS side of the efacec QC45 units locks up and no-one notices until a CCS driver actually shows up to the charger. efacec are supposedly working on a fix, ecotricity in the UK has seen the same issue. For the moment the only fix for that is cutting the power to the charger (remote reboot has no effect as it does not restart the PLC board).

Ultimately the only solution is multiple rapids per site.

Some rumours now that Kia and even more interestingly Renault Samsung may also be going CCS.

• Advertisement

Rumor is that the BEV Ioniq might undercut the Leaf in price.
    6.6kW charger as standard. Adaptive cruise control.

More importantly: 80kW CCS rapid charging (400V up to 200A, not 100kW like the marketing says). #dingdongCHAdeMOsdead

The 80 Kw Charge might not actually be much quicker than the Leaf 30 Kwh depending at which point it starts to ramp down the current and how fast.

But Adaptive cruise I would love !

6.6 kw charger should be standard in the Leaf, it's standard on the 30 Kwh in the U.S, no reason it shouldn't be here !

I wonder do the ESB have the power for multiple DC installation ? They have 100 Kw on most if not all the DC sites, they have to for the triple headed units at least for AC and DC charging together.

They also need to come up with a plan for funding which they have not and I think they're about finished with the E.U funded chargers. They've sadly abandoned AC for now, Renault and Nissan promised faster AC charging, Renault Zoe is great but Nissan failed to have more than 6.6 kw and this is why the ESb installed the 22 Kw points, they have terrific potential.

Nissan also promised Nissan and Renault and the Government they would have the infrastructure ready and they got diddly squat from them, apart from a few Nissan Dealer DC points the ESB got nothing, the Government gave them nothing but expected them to fund a lot of the infrastructure and maintain it for free, I mean seriously, where is the money going to come from ? It's a very expensive network for the amount of electrics on the road.

I think that they have this new monitoring now live that it will enable them to monitor the busier locations and add fast chargers as they deem necessary but funding ?

7 Seaters are a rip off though, just look at the Galaxy !!!

but I have 4 kids so we need a big car - we do try to balance things out. Thats why I have an EV and the wife drives a Landcruiser :p

Yawlboy wrote: »
    but I have 4 kids so we need a big car - we do try to balance things out. Thats why I have an EV and the wife drives a Landcruiser :p

I was just saying they're a rip off not that you shouldn't get one ! ;)

Well your only EV options at the moment are the eNV200 7 seater (~€26k) or the Model X (will probably start at ~€90k in Ireland).

New 30kWh battery for the env this summer of course. I've driven it for few days of testing, EV powertrain is so much better than the diesels they usually have in those kind of vehicles. A lot more creature comforts as well with the heated seats etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Well your only EV options at the moment are the eNV200 7 seater (~€26k) or the Model X (will probably start at ~€90k in Ireland).

New 30kWh battery for the env this summer of course. I've driven it for few days of testing, EV powertrain is so much better than the diesels they usually have in those kind of vehicles. A lot more creature comforts as well with the heated seats etc. etc.

cros13, does any of the dealers in Ireland supply an env 7 seater? Have not seen one yet. Where did you do the test drive?

peposhi wrote: »
    cros13, does any of the dealers in Ireland supply an env 7 seater? Have not seen one yet. Where did you do the test drive?

I got a tester directly from Nissan HQ. Any of the Leaf dealers can sell you the eNV series as well.

Autogefuhl has a good overview of the Ioniq here:

It's a nice care but it's too little too late.

If GM are releasing a 300 km EV in 2017 for around the same price then I certainly can't see a sane reason to buy the Hyundai Ioniq EV ? Unless they're planning on selling it a good bit cheaper which I doubt.

And not forgetting the Model 3 for around the same price as the Opel Ampera-E.

It's a nice care but it's too little too late.

If GM are releasing a 300 km EV in 2017 for around the same price then I certainly can't see a sane reason to buy the Hyundai Ioniq EV ? Unless they're planning on selling it a good bit cheaper which I doubt.

And not forgetting the Model 3 for around the same price as the Opel Ampera-E.

The Bolt in the US will start at $38k, after incentives I'd see it hitting Irish roads for €33k if we're lucky. 60kWh variant of the new Leaf will probably be more than €30k OTR too.

The information I have is that the Ioniq EV will either match or beat the 30kWh Leaf on price. For that you get a bigger vehicle with more passenger and boot space, it's lighter with 10% more motor power, the same range (give or take a km or two), Android Auto & CarPlay.
    They have a deal with GoCar car sharing in dublin city and a deal with enterprise for longer rentals.
    Honestly, I'd rate it above the Leaf if it was out today. The only pause I'd have is ESB needs to get more CCS rapids out.

• Advertisement

Really ? GM publicly stated 35 K before incentives.

The Ioniq is without doubt a nice good car but it should have been more. If it's even approaching the 60 Kwh Bolt/Ampera-E on price then it will have a hard time selling.

The ESB need funding for chargers, the Government aren't interested and they're making no money from it so the incentive for the ESB to invest is practically Nil.

GM stated the Bolt would be $30k after federal incentives in the US. Seeing as the federal incentive is $7,500 and rapid charging is not included as standard I arrived at a $38-39k figure. Given current exchange rates, VRT, transport and a 10% EU import duty on the cars being imported from the US (for the immediate future they will not be assembled in the EU) we'd be lucky if it doesn't hit 45-50k here after the grant for the first units. I made the assumption that a little bit of demand would enable them to setup final assembly in europe with cells from LG Chem's new factory in Poland. If that happens we might have a shot at 33-35k after grants.

Car & Driver made many of the same assumptions I did for the US price:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-ev-concept-photos-and-info-news

At the minute it's looking like the Model 3 will be significantly cheaper than the Bolt. Final assembly already possible for up to 100k vehicles at Tesla tow NL facilities, and a base price in the US at least $3k lower.

40-45K isn't what I can an affordable EV for the masses. In that case there is no way Opel Ireland would import it.

Its all about the Tax revenues in Ireland, no real incentives for EV's and no political party will want to lose out on the € coming in from booming ICE vehicle sales.

If they were serious we would be spending millions on Charge points and incentives.

Its all about the Tax revenues in Ireland, no real incentives for EV's and no political party will want to lose out on the € coming in from booming ICE vehicle sales.

If they were serious we would be spending millions on Charge points and incentives.

Not necessarily , there are Billions of Euro's leaving the economy on foreign energy, electrics can use the energy we need to import much more efficiently and we can take much greater advantage of wind energy, we also shouldn't ignore Solar PV which has huge potential even in Ireland and the few larger solar PV farms that we have have proved this, Solar PV is vastly cheaper than wind energy too just 2-3 Kwp of Solar on every domestic Roof in Ireland would make a big difference and it's not that expensive and far more practical than solar hot water panels, you're water is heated and that's it where with Solar PV you can heat your water and continue to use any available solar energy until the Sun goes down.

So we are already spending Billions more on subsidising the fossil fuel industry why not our own economy, jobs and much cleaner vehicles ?

Billions of Euro's leaving the economy on foreign energy

Close to €7.5 billion. I spoke to a senator recently about transport electrification and made that point.

The NRA/TII is fully aware that we're going down the EV road eventually anyway. They've already completed a couple of studies and datasets looking toward replacing the revenue from fuel & motor taxes with satellite road pricing.
    So you'd pay per km based on the type of roads you travelled on.

Close to €7.5 billion. I spoke to a senator recently about transport electrification and made that point.

The NRA/TII is fully aware that we're going down the EV road eventually anyway. They've already completed a couple of studies and datasets looking toward replacing the revenue from fuel & motor taxes with satellite road pricing.
    So you'd pay per km based on the type of roads you travelled on.

I'll believe it when I see pay per Km.

Interesting, 7 Billion a year leaving the economy in importing fossil fuels, amazingly that's the same as the interest we pay on the bank bail out a year and nothing to show for it.

Still 7 billion by not importing fossil fuels can be spent in the economy lessening the need for riding us with more tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭denismc

WhatCar just did a write up on the Ioniq with an estimate of UK prices. Comes in a bit cheaper than the Prius so maybe we will have comparable pricing here.

"Prices will start from around £22,000 for the hybrid model, which means this Ioniq will be cheaper than a comparable Toyota Prius, which starts at £23,295.
    Next year, the plug-in hybrid and EV versions of the Ioniq will join the range, and prices for those models are expected to start from around £27,000. In comparison, the plug-in hybrid Toyota Prius is priced from £28,395, while fully electric vehicles like the Renault Zoe and Nissan Leaf hatchbacks start at £13,945 and £19,490 respectively."

http://www.whatcar.com/news/2016-hyundai-ioniq---everything-you-need-to-know/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The esb is currently engaged in a program to upgrade ALL fcps to at least dual head , CCS and chademo , and triple head in most cases

This is already budgeted and is being carried out

Certainly by the end of the year , other then private chademo , all public fcps with be capable of CCS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

BoatMad wrote: »
    The esb is currently engaged in a program to upgrade ALL fcps to at least dual head , CCS and chademo , and triple head in most cases

This is already budgeted and is being carried out

Certainly by the end of the year , other then private chademo , all public fcps with be capable of CCS

Really? That would be amazing

s.welstead wrote: »
    Really? That would be amazing

I have it directly from the man controlling the whole ecars network.

Which is who ?

Which is who ?

you dont expect me to name him on a public forum do you

samih starting a rumour mill: So a CCS capable Leaf on the way as MY17 :-)

Forgot to say: The BEV Ioniq sounds very expensive for what it is, if it really costs 27k pounds.

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    you dont expect me to name him on a public forum do you

It's hardly a secret now is it?

It's hardly a secret now is it?

perhaps , so we all now who he his, he's a friend of mine , so , it he wants to make himself known on boards , that fine

I dont think anyone should be identified by third parties on boards unless its clear that they are either in the public domain by the nature of their work for by media reporting

I think thats fair for all concerned

Ok fair point.

Advertisement