Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

• 03-03-2016 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

New thread, old thread was over 10k.

Enjoy guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Delightful.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    New thread, old thread was over 10k.

Enjoy guys

normally id like to accusing you of adding further curse to us Gav but i dont think things can get any worse :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

well were off to a great start anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

normally id like to accusing you of adding further curse to us Gav but i dont think things can get any worse :pac:

It could, you could be 10th while the league above ya is there for the taking. :o

we've started playing a bit but its 6 months too late to do anything.

Ye're still well in it, beat Spurs and anything is possible.

sonic85 wrote: »
    well were off to a great start anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

sonic85 wrote: »
    yeah there was one passage near the end I think that summed it up - ozil with the ball wide on the left, ramsey beside him but made a nothing run down a dead end leaving ozil with 3 (I think) Swansea players around him and nowhere to go and no one to pass it to. he ended up knocking it backwards over the halfway line to mert who spread it out wide right. no support no imagination just backwards and side to side passing. I think ozil just threw his hands up. I was never ozils biggest fan but ive come around to him in the last while. hes too good for us and in a better set up side he would be unreal

I felt sorry for him. His body language sometimes isn't great, but I don't think he ever really hides. He was on the ball on a lot tonight, looking for openings, trying to play people in and it looked like he was playing with an invisible forwad line, who were looking to hide behind their markers instead of trying to escape from them. Admittedly his corner taking was below par, but, aside from Campbell, I thought he was the only player to emerge with some credit tonight.

It just made me think of the one time in my life that I found myself agreeing with Alan Shearer: When he said that a top striker should be scoring 30 plus goals a season for Arsenal, considering the amount of chances that Ozil creates. And I hate having to agree with that fat-headed platitudinous prick, but the flute was right about that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I had considered not posting in this thread so I wouldn't be sucked back in but I'm just
    a sucker for punishment.

It could, you could be 10th while the league above ya is there for the taking. :o

we've started playing a bit but its 6 months too late to do anything.

Ye're still well in it, beat Spurs and anything is possible.

Well at least ye tasted league success. We wont beat Spurs. No response after that shíte from the other day. Curtains

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's only 3 defeats in a row while we're all dancing over 3 wins in a row! It's not over yet, probably the worst league in epl history this year and realistically, a decent run from anyone in the top for sees them win

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Don't be surprised if Man Utd now make a charge and go for the title, since everybody at the top don't appear to want it, lol. Remember City with 6 games to go and well behind in points...and won it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Watching the second goal for Swansea again, and Cech looks even worse. He completely flapped at it.

Well at least ye tasted league success. We wont beat Spurs. No response after that shíte from the other day. Curtains
    It's only 3 defeats in a row while we're all dancing over 3 wins in a row! It's not over yet, probably the worst league in epl history this year and realistically, a decent run from anyone in the top for sees them win

thats it ina nut shell, throw a run of wins together and its open again.

I honestly assumed Arsenal, Sour and City would all win tonight and gobble up Leicester's lead, who would have predicted that after their draw theyed have gained points on their rivals.

Utd are laughing after their win too and West ham are in the mix for top 4 but only 3 teams can win the league from here I think and city arent one of them.

I will settle now for a CL place next season, a new manager and a half dozen new players of quality.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I will settle now for a CL place next season, a new manager and a half dozen new players of quality.

Kidding ourselves with that competition unless we are prepared to make a proper stab at it. Also the attitude of the players must be right. Theo Walcott should be turfed out on his ear. His attitude since his return from injury is scandalous. We need to ditch Chamberlain, Wilshere, and Gibbs. Arteta, Mertesacker, Flamini, Gabriel are no longer fit for purpose.

Kidding ourselves with that competition unless we are prepared to make a proper stab at it. Also the attitude of the players must be right. Theo Walcott should be turfed out on his ear. His attitude since his return is scandalous.

We would if the other two wishes I wanted were granted. New manager and 6 new players

Kidding ourselves with that competition unless we are prepared to make a proper stab at it. Also the attitude of the players must be right. Theo Walcott should be turfed out on his ear. His attitude since his return is scandalous.

No english side will win the competition for the next few years, yes the EPL has all the money but not enough of the quality.

Not to compete with Real, Bayern, Barca and even PSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Heh you're not asking for much mate :p Hope you get your wishes though. Don't think many are rallying around Wenger.

We might actually beat Spurs.

Don't get me wrong, I think Arsenal are really, really gone to the dogs after tonight, and no matter what happens at White Hart Lane there will be much crying and gnashing of teeth to come before the seasons end.

But winning at Spurs would be one of those results that Wenger always miraculously seems to pull off to save himself: One of those that occurs when defeat would mean crossing the Rubicon entirely, into the realm of catastrophic undeniable failure. It's happened several times before and it would be more Arsenally than ever if it were to happen this weekend: We are rubbish and they are quite good.The footballing Gods would be serving up their cruelty in extra large doses: giving us clear hope and then bringing it down like a knife in the guts a few weeks later.

No english side will win the competition for the next few years, yes the EPL has all the money but not enough of the quality.

Not to compete with Real, Bayern, Barca and even PSG.

Chelsea have always proved a thorn in Barca's side and would give them more of a game then we have.

Arghus wrote: »
    We might actually beat Spurs.

Don't get me wrong, I think Arsenal are really, really gone to the dogs after tonight, and no matter what happens at White Hart Lane there will be much crying and gnashing of teeth to come before the seasons end.

But winning at Spurs would be one of those results that Wenger always miraculously seems to pull off to save himself: One of those that occurs when defeat would mean crossing the Rubicon entirely, into the realm of catastrophic undeniable failure. It's happened several times before and it would be more Arsenally than ever if it were to happen this weekend: We are rubbish and they are quite good.The footballing Gods would be serving up their cruelty in extra large doses: giving us clear hope and then bringing it down like a knife in the guts a few weeks later.

• Advertisement

Here is Claude from AFTV being interviewed tonight. Looks a broken man.

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

We're literally the only club in the world who could send the keeper up for a corner and end it with him pulling his hamstring on the way back.

Arsenal; the kings of banter.

x PyRo wrote: »
    We're literally the only club in the world who could send the keeper up for a corner and end it with him pulling his hamstring on the way back.

Which probably means he out for 6 weeks or the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

wer all very upset and emotional tonight and justifiably so but putting a rational head on for a second...if you are Arsene Wenger..you have looked at...

Alexis fluffing two exceptional chances...that he would have hammered in a while back...
    Peter Cech....shocking for the goal (which is offside)
    Bellerin (your contender for POTY) completely switching off.

that's 3 of our best and best most dependable at fault tonight.

that said I don't have much faith for Saturday....unless everything Alexis hits goes in....its due.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

ya really couldn't make it up!

Chelsea have always proved a thorn in Barca's side and would give them more of a game then we have.

We've not lost to them in a good few years alright but I'd be confident this Barca side would steam roll us.

Last year we narrowly went out to a vewy good PSG side who were thumped by Barca. If we faced Barca this year we'd end up losing by a good few on aggregate and I think all the British clubs would.

They're just on another level and I cant see an English side winning the UCL unless they got a favourable draw avoiding a Barca/Real/Bayern until the final at least, a one off game, anything is possible, trying catch those teams over 180 mins is very difficult.

It's crazy the distorted picture you can get of a game if you just watch the highlights. You'd kinda think Arsenal made a game of it, instead of the reality of them becoming a ragged impotent mess in the second half.

Followed by more patented joke analysis on MOTD: Focusing on Sanchez and how he had a good but unlucky game. No mention that at times he looked like he couldn't do anything right and was obviously bang out of form. The Campbell substitution and the poisonous atmosphere was not mentioned once.

Danny Murphy Special(on the blatant foul on Ozil in the build-up to Swanseas first goal): "That's a fifty-fifty, for me".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

thats it ina nut shell, throw a run of wins together and its open again.

I honestly assumed Arsenal, Sour and City would all win tonight and gobble up Leicester's lead, who would have predicted that after their draw theyed have gained points on their rivals.

Utd are laughing after their win too and West ham are in the mix for top 4 but only 3 teams can win the league from here I think and city arent one of them.

Normally I'd agree, but in Arsenal's case it's not just a bad run of games is it? It's season in season out, February in February out and we all know how it ends.

Arghus wrote: »
    It's crazy the distorted picture you can get of a game if you just watch the highlights. You'd kinda think Arsenal made a game of it, instead of the reality of them becoming a ragged impotent mess in the second half.

Followed by more patented joke analysis on MOTD: Focusing on Sanchez and how he had a good but unlucky game. No mention that at times he looked like he couldn't do anything right and was obviously bang out of form. The Campbell substitution and the poisonous atmosphere was not mentioned once.

Danny Murphy Special(on the blatant foul on Ozil in the build-up to Swanseas first goal): "That's a fifty-fifty, for me".

I always fast forward when Murphy opens his gob. Nothing useful to say. We can cite excuses and unfair decisions as in the Ozil foul, not given, but we did not take our chances. A desperate team at the minute.

• Advertisement

I always fast forward when Murphy opens his gob. Nothing useful to say. We can cite excuses and unfair decisions as in the Ozil foul, not given, but we did not take our chances. A desperate team at the minute.

I agree about the foul. We should have been alive to what was happening, instead of dozily letting Routledge into score. Wenger blamed that decision for the result: Real horsecrap.

Murphy is a really quite awful pundit though. He trots out with some awfully lazy stuff, I've never heard him express an opinion that isn't some way approaching a lazy cliché. Shearer is no great shakes, but he can occasionally make some interesting observations about forward play. Murphy is useless! Because we all know at least a little bit about Arsenal it's noticeable - when he's called upon to diagnose the teams malaise - that he really doesn't have anything useful to impart and worst of all some of the crap he comes out with is just completely wrong! And if he's wrong about Arsenal I have to presume he's wrong about everyone else too.

Sorry to be banging on about him, but he annoys me greatly. You'll hear him referred to as one of the more knowledgeable pundits. My hole. Just because he had a good career, sounds like he's no craic whatsoever, and his default and seemingly never-changing facial expression is that of a man who is consistently smelling a nearby unclaimed and dirty Guinness fart, and is trying to play it cool because it could be him; that does not mean that he should be confused with someone who knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Mourinho v Wenger head to head
    Played 12
    MOURINHO WON 7
    WENGER WON 0
    DRAWN 5

and why does someone disagree in taking Mourinho to arsenal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

and why does someone disagree in taking Mourinho to arsenal?

Because he's a classless oaf? I like to think one of the reasons I support our once great club is that we have standards to uphold. Wenger has many faults, but he's never tried to eye gouge an opponent.

Jose is a scumbag.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Son of a beach ball.

It's all so depressingly Arsenal.

I've always been a bit of a Wenger man, think he's has been a great manager, but there's definitely something wrong at Arsenal, and I think he's the main enabler of it. We've just lost two games at a critical time in the league, two games that, with all respect to the teams we faced, we should have won at a canter.

Back to Rocket League for me, might actually win something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Do you not remember Schmiechel in 98 after Overmars had scored. He did the same thing trying to foul one of our players on the break.

Last night was fcuking shameful though.
    I am sure its been mentioned but taking off Campbell?? WTF???

Ozil must be sick of setting up these wasters to muck everything up

I'd love to hear an explanation for the Campbell decision. Utterly baffling!

Dreading the NLD now... Sign of the times, used to relish them!

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    I'd love to hear an explanation for the Campbell decision. Utterly baffling!

Dreading the NLD now... Sign of the times, used to relish them!

Fully expecting them to hammer us.
    Gabriel looks like a rabbit in the headlights and what confidence Cech brings will be gone by Ospina coming in.
    Grioud, sanchez and Walcott have 1 goal in 29 games supposedly?

Jaysus Wept

I don't usually let sport have such a big effect on me, but I'm very upset over the turn of events and results over the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Nothing less than the resignation of Wenger at the end of the season will be good enough. His arrogance has been an ever tightening noose around the club for the last 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Maybe a new thread is just what was needed.

It's after becoming a no win situation now. If Arsenal do win the title (cough) they will say it's the worst title ever and they tried everything not win it. If they don't, ah well, being the laughing stock is almost guaranteed now anyway.

emmetlego wrote: »
    I don't usually let sport have such a big effect on me, but I'm very upset over the turn of events and results over the last week.

the league was totally there for the taking and we have put in two of the limpest most pathetic performances in the last few days.
    I thought we played well against Barca and was pretty confident after the game but by Christ I was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

At this rate. I want us to buy the title and get Mourinho even for just two seasons. Don't care I want to smile again and celebrate with my club at all costs

Boskowski wrote: »
    Maybe a new thread is just what was needed.

It's after becoming a no win situation now. If Arsenal do win the title (cough) they will say it's the worst title ever and they tried everything not win it. If they don't, ah well, being the laughing stock is almost guaranteed now anyway.

I couldn't give a rats Arse what others think, I want the premier league, whether others think it's the worst ever is irrelevant to me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Right do we dare to start thinking we have a good chance again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Theres no Wenger defenders here anymore though is there? They have been thinned out through the years, or else they're in hiding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

message to FLOOPER - I hope you didn't find that pub !

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

wonga77 wrote: »
    Theres no Wenger defenders here anymore though is there? They have been thinned out through the years, or else they're in hiding

I was for an incredibly long time, but i'm afraid i have to resign the fact that he cannot take the club any further. He should have left last year after the double FA Cup win. :(

I sent to a load of mates that a West Ham/Swansea double was over 40/1. No-one did it including me :(

Nearly 3 years ago to the day I posted this ON 17-01-2013 - After watching another abject performance from Wenger and his Arsenal team V Swansea

spent the last 3 years and more listening to posters who hadnt a clue about football, tactics or players ability arguing every point I raised highlighting Wengers faults.
    Id forgive them if this stuff was under the surface, but its been staring them right in the face for many years, they just knew so little about football they couldnt see it.
    fk em. and Wenger too

I'll never take you seriously with your condescending attitude. Everyone has a right to their opinion, whether you agree or not.

Trying to make out you have superior knowledge, or that your opinion matters more, just results in you looking like a tit.

In my humble opinion, of course :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

wonga77 wrote: »

I still am, while admitting we are struggling at the moment.

But I'm not getting into it with yis now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

We're now in a top 4 battle as much, if not more than, a title fight.

We haven't progressed this season from a points total to date and that paints a picture. The only reason we find ourselves with a chance to win it is solely down to the collapse of Chelsea and City.

I fully expect us to hit some form when it's too late but we'll just about secure top 4 and Wenger will be offered a contract extension. Depressing isn't it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement