Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Granit Xhaka : "I've always wanted to join the premier league. Plenty wanted me but it's only Arsene Wenger for me."

Wenger still has unbelievable pull with players.

In fairness, having just signed, he is not going to say

'I've always wanted to join the PL. It was always gonna be Leicester for me, but they couldn't stump up the cash, so Wenger was definitely my #2 choice'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Mind boggling as to why, maybe he's like that really sound teacher you had In school who didn't give you homework and always talked to you about football rather than teach you so you like him loads but when It comes time to do your exams you fail miserably because you never actually learnt anything? :pac:

Mind boggling as to why, maybe he's like that really sound teacher you had In school who didn't give you homework and always talked to you about football rather than teach you so you like him loads but when It comes time to do your exams you fail miserably because you never actually learnt anything? :pac:

Yeah, but then after the exam, you are a millionaire, because it's football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Granit Xhaka : "I've always wanted to join the premier league. Plenty wanted me but it's only Arsene Wenger for me."

Wenger still has unbelievable pull with players.

His stock in Switzerland/France/Germany as a man who does things the right way is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It looks like he had plenty to choose from and he chose us. Can only be a good thing!

Ah i was being facetious, and he does seem a good sort in the media. Just a pinch of salt when it comes to announcements for player signings for any club......
    "I am absolutely delighted to be joining Manchester United. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in Spain and there were a lot of clubs interested in me, but United is the only club that I would have left Real Madrid for.

"Louis van Gaal is a fantastic coach with a proven track record of success and I am impressed by the vision and determination everyone has to get this club back to the top – where it belongs. I now just cannot wait to get started."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Will be watching the Switzerland matches in the euros now with some interest. Nice to have a signing nice and early. Hopefully it's the first of a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Wenger's currency is still strong outside the erratic moods of the British tabloid press

Or he constantly churns out high finishes while others burn brightly for a whole but then fade around him???

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »
    Or he constantly churns out high finishes while others burn brightly for a whole but then fade around him???

Or he rarely rarely leaves a player in a worse place career wise.

If you're an upcoming player, there are few destinations better.

He's great. Now say 'lol' if you love Arsne!!!

lol

United: 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 7th, 4th, 5th.

Chelsea: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 6th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 10th.

Arsenal: 4th, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd.

We're certainly the most consistent of the past 10 years but with 0 league titles I don't see the appeal. United with 5 Chelsea with 3 City with 2 and now even Leicester with 1.

I can't think of many people who have aspirations of coming 4th or 3rd In their careers as opposed to actually being the best. Because for the past 10 years we've never been the best.

We're certainly the most consistent of the past 10 years but with 0 league titles I don't see the appeal. United with 5 Chelsea with 3 City with 2 and now even Leicester with 1.

I can't think of many people who have aspirations of coming 4th or 3rd In their careers as opposed to actually being the best. Because for the past 10 years we've never been the best.

You're correct. But right now those clubs have no CL and a lack of stability.

How many of those was the same manager???

Chelsea won 2 in the last 10 btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wenger's currency is still strong outside the erratic moods of the British tabloid press

But not with very many of the Arsenal fans unfortunately. He's lost his mojo.

Funny you mention that because I just finished Romford Pele's book and the Wenger he described had great banter and rapport with players, and seemed to have a great sense of humour. He has the height of respect for him and did say he would love for Arsene to win the league one more time. It was probably more out of loyalty and hope then actual belief that he said this.

He did however mention one very very interesting thing. During his time at Arsenal there was terrific unity and everyone got along at the club regardless of nationality, background and culture. However, when he returned to train with the club a couple of years later after he finished with Middlesbrough, he noticed that the same togetherness wasn't there. An example he gave, Arsenals top midfielder (Cesc), and their captain (William Gallas) never got along and never spoke to each other. Now he did accept that its unlikely in all cases that a dressing room of players will get along but he quite rightly said that in order for the team to be successful that at the very least, there should have been effective communication. He said that Wenger would never interfere and try and resolve it but would take a passive approach and move on the lesser important of the two where necessary. I can understand not interfering, but why make a troublesome player captain? (who fell out with many of our players)

I say that Roy Keane didn't speak to a good few of the Man United players either but on the pitch they were able to put differences aside for the good of the team. The others such as Sheringham respected him at the very least even if they didn't like his personality off the pitch

http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/10/cesc-fabregas-and-william-gallas-never-spoke-ray-parlour-reveals-toxic-arsenal-dressing-room-5872566/

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,751 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I come in peace.

I read today that there are ructions with arsenal supporters over the next club captain add apparently Koscielny is being proposed.

Why would he be an issue? He is amongst the best CBs in football and knows his stuff so why would these be any complaints? I've seen Cech touted as a captain, which is fair but as an ex Chelsea player and captain, possibly not arsenal fans first choice. (I've also seen Jack Wilshere mentioned but that had to be a joke.)

I come in peace.

I read today that there are ructions with arsenal supporters over the next club captain add apparently Koscielny is being proposed.

Why would he be an issue? He is amongst the best CBs in football and knows his stuff so why would these be any complaints? I've seen Cech touted as a captain, which is fair but as an ex Chelsea player and captain, possibly not arsenal fans first choice. (I've also seen Jack Wilshere mentioned but that had to be a joke.)

Koscielny is one of our longer serving players so personally id have no issue. Jack - no way. He is lucky to be at the club. Cech, tbh i wouldnt have a problem with either. He is vocal at the very least and is world class

Kos strikes me as being somewhat of an introvert, he deserves it, but would he want it.

Cech not a bad shout.

• Advertisement

But not with very many of the Arsenal fans unfortunately. He's lost his mojo.

I'd say its 50/50 (if not more in his favour atm)

I wouldn't mind being consistently Top 4 in the top league in my career.

Right now I'm Tranmere Rovers!

I come in peace.

Being made Arsenal captain means that you're out the door in the next year or two. Maybe some would like it to be Jack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

The fact that there are no obvious candidates for Captain speaks volumes about the complete lack of leadership we've had on the field over the last few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd say its 50/50 (if not more in his favour atm)
    I wouldn't have though. I think the vast majority of Arsenal fans feel its time for Wenger to move on, but they also appreciate that he has a contract to fulfill and they're happy to see him complete that. I think if it came out that Wenger signed a contract extension then you'd see the truth of how many fans want him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think if it came out that Wenger signed a contract extension then you'd see the truth of how many fans want him out.

If they sign a few good players and start the season well, we all know what's coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Even if Wenger won the league next season Id still prefer a change next year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Does anyone really expect us to be in anything other than a fight for CL football next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Does anyone really expect us to be in anything other than a fight for CL football next season?

Does nobody else forget all seasons past until the next lull in performances? I'm always optimistic and when they go on a good run next season and are there or there abouts, I'll let myself get excited too. They'll ultimately let me down I'm sure but from now until then I remain an optimist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Not me. Wenger is not capable of delivering the title, regardless of how the summer goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Barca sniffing around bellerin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Barca sniffing around bellerin.
    He's only after saying he doesn't want to go back. We'll get a few more years out of him yet.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

L'prof wrote: »
    Does nobody else forget all seasons past until the next lull in performances? I'm always optimistic and when they go on a good run next season and are there or there abouts, I'll let myself get excited too. They'll ultimately let me down I'm sure but from now until then I remain an optimist.
    We don't even have to wait for the next lull, we, last game aside, finished in a major lull.

Looking at the array of managers and clubs lining up against us next season, you just know that at least one of them will finish above us. It's pretty much guaranteed. Even finishing 2nd again would be a surprise.

gosplan wrote: »
    You're correct. But right now those clubs have no CL and a lack of stability.

Leicester do have Champions League as they just won the premiership something we've been unable to do for a very very long time, City also have CL football and are hardly unstable? Bad years for Utd and Chelsea yes, but can you honestly not see either challenging for the title next year?
    How many of those was the same manager???
    What's the relevance? You don't get a trophy for having the same manager and doing the same **** every single year for a very long time unfortunately.
    Chelsea won 2 in the last 10 btw
    2 more than we won. and I quoted the last 11 years.

I wouldn't mind being consistently Top 4 in the top league in my career.

Right now I'm Tranmere Rovers!
    I wouldn't mind even just participating in the PL In my career either but It's not exactly the dream of extremely talented professional footballers to finish 4th...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Same people who cursed Cesc, Nasri, RVP etc. Want Jack cut loose. Ridiculous, you can't expect loyalty if it's not shown, luckily for arsenal we're not in charge. If we can't get behind an academy player with huge potential who has been unlucky with injuries we may as well go support whichever team is winning on a given weekend.

Leicester do have Champions League as they just won the premiership something we've been unable to do for a very very long time, City also have CL football and are hardly unstable? Bad years for Utd and Chelsea yes, but can you honestly not see either challenging for the title next year?

Can't find the quote, but this time last year we all had a heated discussion about how amazing the Utd signings were, how Chelsea were bound to challenge and about how we couldnt possibly hope to stay in the top 4.

Fast forward to now, and Leicester are champions.

Of course Arsene could win the league.

AdamD wrote: »
    Same people who cursed Cesc, Nasri, RVP etc. Want Jack cut loose. Ridiculous, you can't expect loyalty if it's not shown, luckily for arsenal we're not in charge. If we can't get behind an academy player with huge potential who has been unlucky with injuries we may as well go support whichever team is winning on a given weekend.

Stop man It's embarrassing, I can't think of anyone more committed to Arsenal or to football In general, always gives 100% always determined always shows heart always goes hard has balls has skill has talent, get's Injured and has a smoke and half the fan base turn on him...
    Pter wrote: »
    Can't find the quote, but this time last year we all had a heated discussion about how amazing the Utd signings were, how Chelsea were bound to challenge and about how we couldnt possibly hope to stay in the top 4.

Fast forward to now, and Leicester are champions.

Of course Arsene could win the league.

I don't recall saying Arsene couldn't win the league, West Brom could win the league...

AdamD wrote: »

You cant reward mediocrity either. When he hasn't been injured, Jack like some of his fellow Arsenal compatriots, has flattered to deceive. I honestly dont mind the smoking. Parlour admitted they were up to far worse in his day and so did Merson and Perry Groves and they always gave 100%. I do believe Wilshere loves the club, however, he has a bit of an attitude on the field. Never stops yapping to the ref. His injuries too have become a bit of a burden on us. That said the tackle Paddy Mcnair injured him with that night against United was beyond reckless. Straight red all day long.

As for Cesc, Nasri, RVP, i personally had no problem with them moving or who they moved to tbh although I do take exception to the way they either engineered their moves and/or their comments afterwards.

l
    I don't recall saying Arsene couldn't win the league, West Brom could win the league...

Of course - apologies - didnt mean to put word in your mouth. While i was responding to your comment, i was also responding to the thread of conversation (see Pepe and Keano's posts).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You cant reward mediocrity either. When he hasn't been injured, Jack like some of his fellow Arsenal compatriots, has flattered to deceive. I honestly dont mind the smoking. Parlour admitted they were up to far worse in his day and so did Merson and Perry Groves and they always gave 100%. I do believe Wilshere loves the club, however, he has a bit of an attitude on the field. Never stops yapping to the ref. His injuries too have become a bit of a burden on us. That said the tackle Paddy Mcnair injured him with that night against United was beyond reckless. Straight red all day long.

As for Cesc, Nasri, RVP, i personally had no problem with them moving or who they moved to tbh although I do take exception to the way they either engineered their moves and/or their comments afterwards.

I like his attitude on the field. Yapping to the ref is needed, otherwise big teams wouldn't do it, and they bloody all do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Drexel wrote: »
    Even if Wenger won the league next season Id still prefer a change next year.

Not sure if your being serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I don't see us solving our striker issue. I think we will sign one but I have no faith that Morata is the striker we need.

Stop man It's embarrassing, I can't think of anyone more committed to Arsenal or to football In general, always gives 100% always determined always shows heart always goes hard has balls has skill has talent, get's Injured and has a smoke and half the fan base turn on him...

He has balls and goes in hard...

Gives away needless free kicks, gets suspended and injured

Some people seem to value chasing the ball like a headless chicken over controlled play

His tackling is atrocious

And Merson wasn't a great player, certainly wouldn't make the current team

• Advertisement

He has balls and goes in hard...

Gives away needless free kicks, gets suspended and injured

Some people seem to value chasing the ball like a headless chicken over controlled play

His tackling is atrocious

You're a funny man, got anymore jokes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

What's the story with Jenkinson? Is he gonna be sold on or what?

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    What's the story with Jenkinson? Is he gonna be sold on or what?

No idea, But If Debuchy Is being sold we should take Jenko back, he's not great but he has the tools he needs to become great. We'll also need cover for Bellerin that's not Chambers as he might be needed at CB.

No idea, But If Debuchy Is being sold we should take Jenko back, he's not great but he has the tools he needs to become great. We'll also need cover for Bellerin that's not Chambers as he might be needed at CB.

I don't think Jenkinson is good enough for Arsenal. He's not even good enough for West Ham!

greendom wrote: »
    I don't think Jenkinson is good enough for Arsenal. He's not even good enough for West Ham!

Wow, that's meaningful coming from you. (Don't mean that In a bad way). I would tend to agree but I feel he could come along, his passion lies with Arsenal though so that's where I think he would grow the most as opposed to being on loan. But we can't afford to play him In Important games. I'd give him FA and Carling cup games but they are very sporadic which Is bad for growth.

I'm not sure what should be done with him but I'd be sad If he was sold.

Edit: That's a lot of Buts...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement