Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'm all for keeping him, he was unlucky this season with injuries but he always seemed decent in the first half of the season. He'll be second string to bellerin anyway and that's about the level he's at. Debuchy won't be happy sitting on the bench for another season so I imagine we'll sell him on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

To be honest will you get a better RB who is happy to sit on the bench behind Bellerin (kida like Gibbs on the opposite side) and probably only play a handful of games unless the Spaniard gets injured? Debuchy wasn't happy with that role for example.

Would Lukaku suit Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

To be honest will you get a better RB who is happy to sit on the bench behind Bellerin (kida like Gibbs on the opposite side) and probably only play a handful of games unless the Spaniard gets injured? Debuchy wasn't happy with that role for example.

Would Lukaku suit Arsenal?

No Lukaku for me,never rated him and still don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I'm not sure he's what we need, but I definitely rate him highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Morata<Lukaku if €45m is being shelled out.

Yeah I don't know if he suits Arsenal exactly but he scores so many and is still so young, premiership proven (please don't jump on the use of that term) and could perhaps even do better with players like Ozil supplying him. Probably not ideal for the Giroud style link up play etc but their really aren't that many top level CF talent out there.

The thing re the Morata comparison above, I don't think 45m euro would get you Lukaku though... maybe 60

Yeah I don't know if he suits Arsenal exactly but he scores so many and is still so young, premiership proven (please don't jump on the use of that term) and could perhaps even do better with players like Ozil supplying him. Probably not ideal for the Giroud style link up play etc but their really aren't that many top level CF talent out there.

100% agree with you. I was asking for Lukaku last year but everyone on here shat on the Idea.

100% agree with you. I was asking for Lukaku last year but everyone on here shat on the Idea.

I'm still not sure he is right for Arsenal but he unlike many is almost certainly on the move and in terms of CF at that level that cannot be said for many.

Well he just had a much better season, and has publicly stated he wants to leave recently.

I'm still not sure he is right for Arsenal but he unlike many is almost certainly on the move and in terms of CF at that level that cannot be said for many.
    Pter wrote: »
    Well he just had a much better season, and has publicly stated he wants to leave recently.

He's not my #1 choice but If that's who we got I'd be ok with that. My only worry would be that he would flop because of a styles clash. If that were to happen we'd be screwed.

• Advertisement

He's not my #1 choice but If that's who we got I'd be ok with that. My only worry would be that he would flop because of a styles clash. If that were to happen we'd be screwed.

*shakes head*

I watch too much PW, now all I can think is ahh so that is how he will get injured once he signs for Arsenal
    styles-clash-o.gif

Not sure who else will be on the move in that position at that quality outside of him and Zlatan whom I believe is Utd bound. Arsene as well seems to like to get players who want to move or whose club want them to move instead of having to pay over the odds to get people so I'm not really sure who else to logically suggest.

*shakes head*

I watch too much PW, now all I can think is ahh so that is how he will get injured once he signs for Arsenal
    styles-clash-o.gif

Not sure who else will be on the move in that position at that quality outside of him and Zlatan whom I believe is Utd bound. Arsene as well seems to like to get players who want to move or whose club want them to move instead of having to pay over the odds to get people so I'm not really sure who else to logically suggest.

Lukaku seems a bit long for AJ :pac:

Yeah It's hard for us to speculate because we don't know the market right now, who's available who's not etc. From what we have Lukaku prob seems best right now, but It's a long summer and a lot can change. Higuain,Lacazette,Muller,Benzema. They're my picks but alas they are highly unlikely for many reasons. It would be like CZW trying to sign Lesnar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd have Lukaku up there ahead of most others. He'll finish more of Ozil's chance than most other strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'd love Lukaku, would have taken him last season too. Things could have been so different!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

This wait and see who becomes available really grinds my gears. That was the excuse Wenger gave last season. You don't wait around and see who is available, but you actively go out and aggressively look for the players you want.

Arsenal have the money, stadium and squad to push on with the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City etc. There is no reason that we should be left behind. Wenger should do himself justice and be aggressive for once especially as it may be his last season. Players don't magically become available. Was Cesc available when we sold him to Barcelona, RVP to Man Utd? If Wenger wants a Lukaku, Lacazette, Morata etc well then go get him. I'm not saying it's easy, but it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Lukaku would be an amazing signing. His goals to games ratio is ridiculous and he's still in his early 20s. I dont understand why anyone would turn their nose up to him.

So shall i tell Arsene we have decided on Lukaku?

This wait and see who becomes available really grinds my gears. That was the excuse Wenger gave last season. You don't wait around and see who is available, but you actively go out and aggressively look for the players you want.

Arsenal have the money, stadium and squad to push on with the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City etc. There is no reason that we should be left behind. Wenger should do himself justice and be aggressive for once especially as it may be his last season. Players don't magically become available. Was Cesc available when we sold him to Barcelona, RVP to Man Utd? If Wenger wants a Lukaku, Lacazette, Morata etc well then go get him. I'm not saying it's easy, but it can be done.

A player has to want to come, but it also depends what position they are in with their current contract. RVP is a bad example.

Look at last season. Several clubs were in for a striker. Even United, who would pay insane money to 'make a player available' couldn't do it.

Pter wrote: »
    So shall i tell Arsene we have decided on Lukaku?

Doesn't matter!
    He will still look for a striker who is unproven otherwise he gets no recognition.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah I'd be happy with Lukaku aswell a demon when motivated , I think Wenger would work wonders with him too definite upgrade on Giroud and actively wants to leave and is definitley better than Morata

We're not going to pay the money for Higuian so Lukaku is my next choice for definite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Doesn't matter!
    He will still look for a striker who is unproven otherwise he gets no recognition.
    Ye we'll probably end up with that Vincent Jansen bloke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think Morata is the kind of striker we'll be looking at. Hes scoring in big games but needs to put a full season together. The actual world class strikers only go to Real/Barca/Bayern really and what's actually disappointed me in recent seasons is Arsenal not taking a punt on a striker the level below in the hope they'd develop. Giroud was never going to be that player so we should have taken this punt a year or two ago.

Lukaku would be quality, he's everything Welbeck should be imo. For his age his scoring record is incredible. I've seen him criticised on here for his poor link up play but that shouldn't be a problem with our midfield, I'd say Ozil is dying for Wenger to sign a player like him that'll actually finish the chances he creates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'd feel safer with Lukaku just as I've seen him for a couple of seasons now and know what to expect.

If we sign Morata and he stinks then I don't think I could cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Lukaku blows hot and cold just like Giroud. I guarantee with an Emirates shirt on, there will be plenty of moaning about him.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Lukaku blows hot and cold just like Giroud. I guarantee with an Emirates shirt on, there will be plenty of moaning about him.

I'd argue the players around him blow hot and cold. I'd imagine he'd fair a lot better with our midfield around him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Look at Benteke at the Villa, we loved him, from day one he was hated at Liverpool because pretty much he wasnt Suarez and didnt play the Liverpool way, never got a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36393608

No more FA Cup 1\4 final replays!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

mansize wrote: »
    And Merson wasn't a great player, certainly wouldn't make the current team

Love to see some of our current players try score the goals he did off their nut on coke ;-)

Still though he was a great player in his time.

Looks like Ramsey is getting an upgrade....(or sold :p)

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/735850359202156544

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Looks like Ramsey is getting an upgrade....(or sold :p)

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/735850359202156544

Handed the no. 8 shirt after Arteta's departure apparently

http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/26/arsenal-confirm-aaron-ramsey-has-taken-mikel-artetas-no-8-shirt-5906850/

387017.jpg

Almost forgot. 27 years ago today folks :)

https://twitter.com/arsenalaction/status/735749583511261184

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Interesting points comparing Giroud and Lukaku. Personally, while I realise this is all about opinions, it's all hyperbole when you can say a fella can or will not be better in our team. I'd say that if Wenger thinks he'd fit our system, then he'll go for him. And also, personally speaking again, if Wenger spends big on any striker, and he doesn't become a huge success with our supply train, then he should step down immediately. The time for excuses for this man are over. I've said that already, after years of defending him.

That said… I do believe that he should be offered the time to step down in his own good time, and not ****ed out like LvG was or countless others… But I do feel strongly that unless we win, or even have a proper challenge against ManU under mou, or City under Pep, then he should really go. He should also have a statue erected to him, as our greatest ever manager. I still respect him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

....... and they still hate us for it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I don't want to overstate this, but that was literally the very best thing that's ever happened in the history of the world. Anywhere. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

One of the reasons I support Arsenal in a Liverpool mad family.

Doesn't matter!

He signed Özil so that knocks your theory out of the water

Also reading according to the Sun (rag) that Jose turned down Arsenal (amongst other clubs)

Yeah sure pal.

Starting XI of players currently at Arsenal

...........Cech
    Bellerin............Monreal
    .......Koscielny..Gabriel
    ....Xhaka....Santi
    Ramsey....Alexis
    ..............Ozil
    .....Giroud

He signed Özil so that knocks your theory out of the water

Also reading according to the Sun (rag) that Jose turned down Arsenal (amongst other clubs)

Yeah sure pal.

Did you see the smiley?
    Anyway Ozil isn't a striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

now official.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/May/club-statement-manchester-united-confirm-jose-mourinho-as-new-manager.aspx

Yet another top quality manager gone out of our reach. The longer wenger stays the less options we have for replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

now official.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/May/club-statement-manchester-united-confirm-jose-mourinho-as-new-manager.aspx

Yet another top quality manager gone out of our reach. The longer wenger stays the less options we have for replacement

like he was ever going to be arsenal manager

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Starting XI of players currently at Arsenal

............. .....Cech
    Bellerin..Koscielny..Gabriel ..Monreal
    ... Ramsey ... Xhaka ... Elneny
    .................... Ozil
    .......... Giroud .. Sanchez

That's how I'd line up the team based on what we have now. Bit harsh on Cazorla considering I rate him over Elneny and Ramsey but...

Giroud/Gabriel are weak links though.

............. .....Cech
    Bellerin..Koscielny..Gabriel ..Monreal
    ... Ramsey ... Xhaka ... Elneny
    .................... Ozil
    .......... Giroud .. Sanchez

That's how I'd line up the team based on what we have now. Bit harsh on Cazorla considering I rate him over Elneny and Ramsey but...

Giroud/Gabriel are weak links though.

Just as I see it. We really do need two proper players for those positions and then maybe a winger who could play on either side. Are there many about though?

now official.

I'm all for "Wenger out" but I'd rather keep him for ten more leagueless years than have Mourinho at the club.

now official.

How any self respecting Arsenal fan could ever want him to take over is beyond me. You'd really take that cretin at the club for the sake of a premier league trophy?

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'm all for "Wenger out" but I'd rather keep him for ten more leagueless years than have Mourinho at the club.

Mourinho is a great and successful manager of course BUT when he abused his team doctor who was concerned about HIS player it was then I lost respect for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Mourinho is a great and successful manager of course BUT when he abused his team doctor who was concerned about HIS player it was then I lost respect for him.

Personally I lost respect for him long before that. His behaviour whilst at Real Madrid was disgraceful. The eye gouging incident sealed the deal as far as I was concerned.
    His disrespectful comments to other managers since then (Wenger & Benitez for example) have been equally distasteful.

The man simply lacks class, successful he may be, but classy? Never.

He's a bigger job at United than most people think & there's a decent chance he'll make a mess of it & no doubt leave his usual train wreck of a situation in his wake. They're welcome to him IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm surprised he was respectable to you before that :D

• Advertisement

The "class" of a manager really Isn't that Important to me. I'd be similar to Tayto In that I never really had a problem with him until that Incident. Don't get me wrong I wasn't a fan of him before that or anything but people saying he's going to fail and he's not a great manager because he only does well with money etc etc are just fooling themselves. UTD will be a force next season, no doubt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement