Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

UTD will be a force next season, no doubt.

He has some serious work to do with that team if that's the case. There's one star player in De Gea at the whole club and then Martial who is potential. Aside from those 2 United have a shocking squad. Okay Smalling is finding his feet too but Mourinho is gonna have to sign some big players imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The "class" of a manager really Isn't that Important to me. I'd be similar to Tayto In that I never really had a problem with him until that Incident. Don't get me wrong I wasn't a fan of him before that or anything but people saying he's going to fail and he's not a great manager because he only does well with money etc etc are just fooling themselves. UTD will be a force next season, no doubt.

I Agree, I think he'll definitely give them a short term boost, whether or not that generates into long term success is anyone's guess given the factors outside his & the clubs control. No one can gurantee long term success in the EPL, but short term he has a blank canvass.

As it stands I'd have United, City & Chelsea as likely to finish top 4 (Assuming they all spend silly money) leaving it up to Arsenal, Spurs & the rest to make up any gap those 3 can create for themselves.
    Big summer ahead for Arsenal.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    He has some serious work to do with that team if that's the case. There's one star player in De Gea at the whole club and then Martial who is potential. Aside from those 2 United have a shocking squad. Okay Smalling is finding his feet too but Mourinho is gonna have to sign some big players imo.

Agreed

A lot of money spent on decidedly average players at United over the last few years.

Mourinho will either have to improve them or find other clubs for them so they can be replaced. If they are serious challengers next year he will have done an amazing job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

............. .....Cech
    Bellerin..Koscielny..Gabriel ..Monreal
    ... Ramsey ... Xhaka ... Elneny
    .................... Ozil
    .......... Giroud .. Sanchez

That's how I'd line up the team based on what we have now. Bit harsh on Cazorla considering I rate him over Elneny and Ramsey but...

Giroud/Gabriel are weak links though.

I'd love to see us playing two up front again but I'd say it won't happen anytime soon.

If we do end up going into next season without having found an improvement on Giroud, the only way it could work would be to put someone up there along side him. I don't understand why it hasn't been tried properly before now considering his ability to play some one else in to be one of his main strengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

United City and Chelsea all have major rebuilding jobs on their hands.

I'd give us a better chance of challenging than those 3.

• Advertisement

Ah lads give over with the predictions!
    We won't win the league, as usual!
    What's more important is will the team actually give it a proper go instead of fluking second place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I just wanna see us play again, I'm getting withdrawals already :o

+1, I have them that bad that I watched every goal Podolski ever scored last night :confused:

Some screamers in there mind you

You could add a few things to that Ken, like with purpose, passion and desire to be champions ;)

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    +1, I have them that bad that I watched every goal Podolski ever scored last night :confused:

Some screamers in there mind you

A right lazy bastard towards the end though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

now official.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/May/club-statement-manchester-united-confirm-jose-mourinho-as-new-manager.aspx

Yet another top quality manager gone out of our reach. The longer wenger stays the less options we have for replacement

I wonder would he get the same welcome at Chelsea as Ranieri did if Utd were to win the title next season :pac:

"Mesut Ozil has put contract talks with Arsenal on hold for a second time, according to reports.

The Times claim Ozil wants to keep his options open and is concerned about the Gunners’ failure to challenge for major honours.

Arsenal are willing to pay the Germany international £200,000-a-week but the money isn’t said to be an issue for Ozil.

It is claimed a number of top European clubs are interested in the 27-year-old and he wants to explore his options before committing his long-term future to the north London club."

:confused: Stupid paper talk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"Mesut Ozil has put contract talks with Arsenal on hold for a second time, according to reports.

The Times claim Ozil wants to keep his options open and is concerned about the Gunners’ failure to challenge for major honours.

Arsenal are willing to pay the Germany international £200,000-a-week but the money isn’t said to be an issue for Ozil.

It is claimed a number of top European clubs are interested in the 27-year-old and he wants to explore his options before committing his long-term future to the north London club."

To be honest I'd be surprised if he didnt leave his options open, he knows that the worst case scenario is a 200k stg a week deal thats already on the table, but why not see who else is interested & wha thye may have to offer.
    The top players hold the power nowadays & they'd be mad to not explore options.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Ozil and/or Sanchez not sign contract extensions, without indications that something is going to change they pretty much know what to expect at Arsenal... pastures may look greener elsewhere in their eyes.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

A player of his quality should be exploring his options. if we bring in a couple more additions equivalent to Xhaka's quality, I imagine he'll be happy to sign a new contract. Whether we do or not is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

The "class" of a manager really Isn't that Important to me. I'd be similar to Tayto In that I never really had a problem with him until that Incident. Don't get me wrong I wasn't a fan of him before that or anything but people saying he's going to fail and he's not a great manager because he only does well with money etc etc are just fooling themselves. UTD will be a force next season, no doubt.
    The ideal situation at this stage is to let wenger see out the final year on his contract(he won't go volunterily) and try to tie up a deal to get koeman to take over next summer. He would be the ideal candidate for me with all his playing experience and the start he's made to his managerial career has been very encouraging. He gives me the impression that he is very ambitious and in my opinion he would be a perfect fit to take us forward post the wenger era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I dunno.

From Ozil's point of view it's probably Wenger spends or he should think about moving.

There'll be a huge period if transition when Wenger leaves. Ozil has about three years left at the top.

He should be playing in the latter stages of the CL, not helping. Stuttering club finish top four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

current squad, only some u21 listed. 26 atm, probably be a good few departures from it though.
    # |non HG |HG |u21
    1 |cech |szcz |chambers
    2 |ospina |gibbs |bellerin
    3 |monreal |jenkinson| iwobi
    4 |mert |coquelin| gnabry
    5 |kos |ramsey| toral
    6 |gabriel |wilshere| zelalem
    7 |cazorla |ox| akpom
    8 |xhaka |walcott|
    9 |elneny |welbeck|
    10 |ozil | martinez(gk)
    11 |sanchez | macey(gk)
    12 |campbell |
    13 |giroud |
    14 |debuchy |
    15 |sanogo |
    16 | |
    17 | |

batistuta9 wrote: »
    current squad, only some u21 listed. 26 atm, probably be a good few departures from it though.

Is that an official list?

I was concerned that all the talk was about Arteta and Rosicky leaving with no mention from the club about Flamini leaving as well. Bellerin tweeted a while back that he will miss Flamini, so that's close enough confirmation for me that he'll be going as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

no, officially made by me though :pac:

yeah i was going to include him, as he's still listed on the website etc. but apparently he is going, story on arseblog about them having to remove him from the kit builder thing on the online shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Lol forgot we still had sanogo.

Jesus wept.

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    no, officially made by me though :pac:

yeah i was going to include him, as he's still listed on the website etc. but apparently he is going, story on arseblog about them having to remove him from the kit builder thing on the online shop

I'd imagine Flamini will retire and completely devote his time to his new enterprise. I like him tbh. For me he is a cult hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'd imagine Flamini will retire and completely devote his time to his new enterprise. I like him tbh. For me he is a cult hero.

I love the guy.

Maybe more in a coaching/non playing role, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

https://streamable.com/g59v

Okay its not exactly a top class defence but that turn and finish was bloody exquisite. You can see why he has scored so many bloody goals this season.

So you could have that.....or Giroud. Not paying the few extra pennies was a huge mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Kirby wrote: »
    https://streamable.com/g59v

Okay its not exactly a top class defence but that turn and finish was bloody exquisite. You can see why he has scored so many bloody goals this season.

So you could have that.....or Giroud. Not paying the few extra pennies was a huge mistake.

It was more out of principle I think. Wasn't a deal already agreed and then Madrid moved the goalposts because they realised they could get more cash from Napoli?

Xhaka is no 16 next season according to online shop with Iwobi no 17

Spurs trying to copy some of our bad ideas now lol :pac:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36404799

mansize wrote: »
    And Merson wasn't a great player, certainly wouldn't make the current team

Disagree with that. Merson was quality. Id have him over Theo and Ox anyday of the week. Should have won far more England caps. Rocky Rocastle was better though

Disagree with that. Merson was quality. Id have him over Theo and Ox anyday of the week. Should have won far more England caps. Rocky Rocastle was better though

Ah, I loved Merse. We can't be starting on Merse, lads.

The player, anyway. Say what you want about his punditing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ah, I loved Merse. We can't be starting on Merse, lads.

The player, anyway. Say what you want about his punditing.

Hes loved at the Villa as well, pity he lived the of the pitch lifestyle he did, he had some much talent

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    Hes loved at the Villa as well, pity he lived the of the pitch lifestyle he did, he had some much talent

The other side is that maybe the big personality contributed to his genius on the field but yes the rock n roll lifestyle didn't help.He asked George Graham once why the club were so willing to stick by him

Graham replied

"When your Morris Minor breaks down you get rid of it but when your Rolls Royce breaks down you fix it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

According to Kicker.de information, Arsenal are strongly linked with Ricardo Rodriguez, the Wolfsburg's left back.

He has a release clause of €25M which isn't bad considering he's easily top 7 in the world in his position. If its true i'd say Gibbs must want out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Left back seems to be a strange position to be spending that amount of money on though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Left back seems to be a strange position to be spending that amount of money on though

I think Real paid 20m for a very young Ramos years ago.

I've no issue spending big of a defender if you get the years out of him it's a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    He has a release clause of €25M which isn't bad considering he's easily top 7 in the world in his position. If its true i'd say Gibbs must want out.

He is another Andre Santos. Would be a horrible signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Aubameyang leaving Dortmund according to the Gabon manager. Hopefully to Real so City/United/Chelsea won't get him.

• Advertisement

I think Real paid 20m for a very young Ramos years ago.

I've no issue spending big of a defender if you get the years out of him it's a bargain.

Had no idea Rodriguez was 23, feels like he's been around a good while

I think Left back we're good with Monreal and Gibbs if we were buying for there it'd absolutely have to be an upgrade from what i've read about this guy it doesn't inspire loads of confidence

I think Left back we're good with Monreal and Gibbs if we were buying for there it'd absolutely have to be an upgrade from what i've read about this guy it doesn't inspire loads of confidence

Disagree. Poor old Gibbs just ain't up to it, I'm really sorry to say.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Disagree. Poor old Gibbs just ain't up to it, I'm really sorry to say.

He's our backup left back, and he's nowhere near as bad as people make out....especially considering he doesn't get regular playing time.

That position is the least of our worries.

And gibbs was quite faultless any time he was called upon this season to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Im fine with Gibbs as backup tbh, he can be yellow at times but he is decent cover. Doubt theres any truth to that story, or Id hope not anyway. Other obvious holes need to be plugged first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And gibbs was quite faultless any time he was called upon this season to be fair

He is absolutely useless and afraid of his life.
    Do you not remember him ducking out of the way of a ball from a corner kick last season? Not for the first time either.

Everybody would agree Gibbs is nowhere near good enough but I think the point being made here is that there are other, more concerning areas of the pitch that need looking at.

Like a striker. And a forward. And a number 9. And a frontman. And yes, they are all the same position but bloody hell I think even the fans of the other teams think its ridiculous how long its been since Arsenal have had a world class striker. The salient point being, stop fannying about signing full backs and spent some money on a forward. kthxbye arsene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Reports linking up with Duvan Zapata who has 11 goals 61 appearances
    Jesus wept

smilerf wrote: »
    Reports linking up with Duvan Zapata who has 11 goals 61 appearances
    Jesus wept

His record is far better than 11 in 61 to be fair. We're more likely to sign a striker of his calibre than somebody like Higuain or Zlatan unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Basil3 wrote: »
    He's our backup left back, and he's nowhere near as bad as people make out....especially considering he doesn't get regular playing time.

That position is the least of our worries.

Yeah but if Gibbs wants to go (which wouldn't be surprising) then we have to buy. Monreal's 30 too.

He is absolutely useless and afraid of his life.
    Do you not remember him ducking out of the way of a ball from a corner kick last season? Not for the first time either.

His cameo v City was pure nerve wrecking. All of our work was nearly undone

It does amaze me that specific incidents stick in the mind with you guys, especially regarding Gibbs.

Just imagine if he had given away that penalty on Vardy instead of Monreal. Don't think we would have heard the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

We will appreciate Gibbs as our backup LB next year when we have Jenkinson backing up Bellerin on the opposite side!ha

We will appreciate Gibbs as our backup LB next year when we have Jenkinson starting on the right after Bellerin goes to Barca.

Fixed that for you. :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement