Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Being nice is important though. It helps to attract new players and new fans. It also helps the club get sponsorship if the manager is approachable and well liked.

That's very very true, I never thought like that before… But I guess winning brings in more fans. I never saw so many Chelsea and subsequently City jerseys in the school yard than I have in the last 15 years, see into that what you like!

That said, if you want to know how I feel, have a listen to Arseblog from this morning… He speaks exactly as I feel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Being nice is important though. It helps to attract new players and new fans. It also helps the club get sponsorship if the manager is approachable and well liked.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Some words of wisdom there for yis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Mourinho might be a great manager but he only brings short term success and usually leaves a trail of destruction behind him when he leaves. I don't think it would ever be worth sacrificing the integrity of the club just for this.

Mourinho might be a great manager but he only brings short term success and usually leaves a trail of destruction behind him when he leaves. I don't think it would ever be worth sacrificing the integrity of the club just for this.

And there it is folks. What I've been trying to say for months about this individual, without resorting to a string of expletives and demonstrative verbs and proverbs that would get me banned, and yet describe that person in detail!

Thank you Extra Gravy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

mansize wrote: »
    M Giroud scores for France

Just like Giroud to go on a great run for the Euro's and ruining my dreams of us landing a top class striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Just like Giroud to go on a great run for the Euro's and ruining my dreams of us landing a top class striker.

I imagine if he wasn't already an Arsenal player there would be plenty calling on Wenger to sign him. Lovely finish btw, from an amazing Pogba pass

It's a warmup match against Cameroon.
    He hasn't shown consistency at Arsenal.
    A few nice goals in the Euros won't make him top class.

It's a warmup match against Cameroon.
    He hasn't shown consistency at Arsenal.
    A few nice goals in the Euros won't make him top class.

True, but when it comes to transfer windows, the grass is always greener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Maybe somebody will take him off our hands if that's the case :pac:

A thing of beauty in any case...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

That ball... Pogba Is something else

That ball... Pogba Is something else

no credit for the Arsenal player in that move ?

It was a brilliant cross but not easy to put a chance like that away on the volley - smashing finish!

greendom wrote: »

It was a brilliant cross but not easy to put a chance like that away on the volley - smashing finish!

You're so tiresome

You're so tiresome

you just can't bring yourself to do it can you ?

Chambers made into the team of the Toulon tournament which England have just won. Would like to see him given more of an opportunity in the first team next year, not be sent off on loan.

you just can't bring yourself to do it can you ?

Bring myself to?? It was a good finish but the ball stuck out for me so I praised It and of course you jump all over It because It's not love and affection for Arsenal or something related to Arsenal. As I said, tiresome.

If Pogba was an Arsenal player you wouldn't have even commented on my post.

It was also shocking defending imo but nice goal all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Credit for arsenal players on this site?? You must be joking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I imagine if he wasn't already an Arsenal player there would be plenty calling on Wenger to sign him.

Would you be one of the very very few that would be calling on Wenger to sign him???

• Advertisement

Would you be one of the very very few that would be calling on Wenger to sign him???

Highly unlikely as he'd still be with Montpellier and nobody would know who he was.

I do like Giroud on a side note, just not as our main striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

In fairness greendom is one of the more consistent posters in here and isn't prone to freaking out when we don't sign sign someone the metro linked or had a fantastic campaign during the Euros.

Unfortunately, he is one of the few who can keep a level head during the transfer window unlike some others who not that long ago wanted us to sign Ricky Lambert during the transfer window because we hadn't signed anyone else or he was probably better than Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I see Yan Sommer is lamenting the loss of Xhaka from Borussia

"His departure is a huge loss for us because Xhaka is not just very important as a player, but also as a person," Sommer told sport1.de. "You can see that he is the one pulling the strings in midfield and our game would often run through him."

Sounds promising...could do with a midfield General !

Andip wrote: »
    I see Yan Sommer is lamenting the loss of Xhaka from Borussia

"His departure is a huge loss for us because Xhaka is not just very important as a player, but also as a person," Sommer told sport1.de. "You can see that he is the one pulling the strings in midfield and our game would often run through him."

Sounds promising...could do with a midfield General !

The more I hear of Xhaka, the better he sounds. The references seem to be glowing for him. Change of tack from Arsene? He seems to be going for a more determined, aggressive and physical player than previously with Sanchez, Elneny and now Xhaka also with the emergence of Coquelin

Definitely looking forward to seeing him In action. Wonder what the odds are for an Injury on his debut?

Definitely looking forward to seeing him In action. Wonder what the odds are for an Injury on his debut?

Dunno. It'll be a while before we know, he'll have the injury he picks up at the Euros to get over before we see him in action.

• Advertisement

I do often wonder is our injury record down to not being 100% committed to challenges barring obviously the odd exception like Ramsey against Stoke and McNair breaking Wilshere's ankle?

Perhaps it was just luck but we never had the same injury record from 98-04 in terms of long term injuries. Another theory is that teams approached us with more over zealousness when our leaders left such as Adams, Keown, Vieira, Bould, etc. Teams watched themselves with their tackles in those days or else you had a plethora of big angry men wanting to kill you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

"The number has special significance for him as it is the reverse of his year of birth - 92."

Could he not just pick, you know, 92?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Are we not linked with anyone today at all?
    Things are slowing up on this thread.

I heard we're In for Muller,Robben and Godin...

Muller and Robben will be part of a swap deal for Sanogo and Walcott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I heard we're In for Muller,Robben and Godin...

Muller and Robben will be part of a swap deal for Sanogo and Walcott.

Would they give us 50 m and Godin for Gibbs?

5star02707 wrote: »

The new Chamakh

Would they give us 50 m and Godin for Gibbs?

That's not worth It for us man, don't forget Gibbs Is also English, we'd need another 20m on top of that to make It worth considering...

Ps: I secretly have a soft spot for Gibbs.

Bring myself to?? It was a good finish but the ball stuck out for me so I praised It and of course you jump all over It because It's not love and affection for Arsenal or something related to Arsenal. As I said, tiresome.

If Pogba was an Arsenal player you wouldn't have even commented on my post.

If there was no intent to wind anyone up by only mentioning the non-Arsenal player in the move, fair enough.

I'd say it's a little odd in the Arsenal thread but fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Giroud was on a run of form tbf

Bellerin makes Spain's Euro 16 squad

If there was no intent to wind anyone up by only mentioning the non-Arsenal player in the move, fair enough.

I'd say it's a little odd in the Arsenal thread but fair enough.

Wind people up? I said Pogba Is something else so you think I'm trying to wind people up? Odd that you could say something about a non Arsenal player In the forum?

I don't know anymore, I really don't.

Wind people up? I said Pogba Is something else so you think I'm trying to wind people up? Odd that you could say something about a non Arsenal player In the forum?

Well that was a conversation killer!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

In fairness, for a player that gets through so much work, it's a ridiculous assist to pull out if the bag. He's one of very few complete footballers I can remember. Awesome player.

As regards Giroud, the finish looked nice but it was sort of on a plate. If he missed that for us people would be freaking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

gosplan wrote: »
    In fairness, for a player that gets through so much work, it's a ridiculous assist to pull out if the bag. He's one of very few complete footballers I can remember. Awesome player.

As regards Giroud, the finish looked nice but it was sort of on a plate. If he missed that for us people would be freaking out.

At this stage it doesn't even seem to matter anymore. If he misses he's **** and even if he scores he's still ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

farna_boy wrote: »
    At this stage it doesn't even seem to matter anymore. If he misses he's **** and even if he scores he's still ****.

No-one is saying he is sh!te. Just not good enough to get the required goals for a title win. Don't sensationalise it so much.

Even if he had done a back flip and knocked it in with his mickey, Wenger should still buy as top class a striker as he can.

It's not that It wasn't a good finish, It was good, but his conversion rate Isn't good enough, If Higuain scored that people would be like "man he's good" not because of the finish but because he consistently does stuff like that. How many chances does Giroud have to miss before he finally scores when he'splaying with us?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Giroud is a fine striker, but you wont win the league with him as first choice. I think thats all people are trying to say.

Plus the fact that it was a good finish bit the ball in was outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

keano_afc wrote: »
    Giroud is a fine striker, but you wont win the league with him as first choice. I think thats all people are trying to say.

I wouldn't say that for certain, could have easily happened this year for example, but he just doesn't get enough goals. He'll go on great runs of form but generally it's a goal here and there. Here's a list of all the times he scored more than once last season

09-12-2015 Olympiacos 0:3 Arsenal, 3
    13-01-2016 Liverpool 3:3 Arsenal, 2
    08-03-2016 Hull 0:4 Arsenal, 2
    15-05-2016 Arsenal 4:0 Aston Villa

It just doesn't inspire me with confidence. For what it's worth, I'm not sure that Morata is the answer either, but if signed would at least be another option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

gosplan wrote: »
    he could have been. He was available like Klopp and Guadiola was at the start of last season

No thanks. 4th every day over him please.

Gotta keep perspective on what's important.
    i rather winning the league twice every 4 years then coming 4th every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Wouldn't we all...just not with Mourinho at the helm

We haven't been 4th in a while...

Wilshere on for the last 25 for England against Portugal. Still 0-0 Portugal down to 10 men.

• Advertisement

Watching this friendly, I can really see why Roy took the gamble and brought him.

Clue: He's better than all their other players.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement