Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Watching this friendly, I can really see why Roy took the gamble and brought him.

Clue: He's better than all their other players.

Bags of potential that he could realise with an injury free season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Marvellous pre-assist from Jack tonight ;)

Seriously though his introduction did improve the impetus of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

greendom wrote: »
    Marvellous pre-assist from Jack tonight ;)

Seriously though his introduction did improve the impetus of the team.

Far superior midfielder to milner and Rooney. Not convinced by Rooney in the cm position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Watching this friendly, I can really see why Roy took the gamble and brought him.

Clue: He's better than all their other players.

Wilshere Is world class, he just needs games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Arsenal fans hype up Wilshere but knock Ramsey. Jacks greatest moment for us was probably making fun of Spurs on our trophy celebration while Ramsey scored us the goal to actually make it possible :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Arsenal fans hype up Wilshere but knock Ramsey. Jacks greatest moment for us was probably making fun of Spurs on our trophy celebration while Ramsey scored us the goal to actually make it possible :pac:

Love Ramsey too. Brilliant player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The problem with both of them is that we're not giving what they need to succeed.

Wilshire plays on the wing but needs to be deeper with a decent enough holding midfielder behind him, like with him Song and Fab ages back.

Rambo needs to play in the same position but with a different type of DMF.

they can both be world class but not on the wing and not when they're injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wilshires goal against Norwich is one of the greatest goals I've ever seen.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That's oversimplifying it gosplan and absolving them of responsibility. In fairness to Jack he's had an awful lot of injuries which makes it very difficult to develop some consistency in his game. However he hasn't exactly always lit it up in central midfield either. He's well capable of playing wide too and personally I'm not convinced at all that a deep midfield role is best suited to him. To me his best qualities are his close control, ability to work through tight spaces and ghost past players, which probably suits a player further up the pitch more than a deep lying one.

He’s rarely shown that he’s got the temperament to play a deeper role (and I’m not sure about the passing range either). That’s not to say he can’t develop these elements in his game and move further back as he matures, but he’s not there now so I think it’s making excuses for him to say he’s not maximising his talent because he’s in the wrong position.

Rambo has his limitations and I agree re: the right midfield partner, but even still he could be doing better and he needs to learn to adjust his game for whenever he doesn't have a midfielder beside him who can smooth out his rough edges.

Mate your love for Ramsey Is worrying :pac: go back through the times Jack actually played and you'll see many great goals and assists however, his greatest asset Is his ability to control the midfield, check his performance against Barcelona a few years back, an absolute master class.

Give the lad a break, he's had a stupid amount of Injuries and sporadic appearances In his career to but too many stints together, I haven't seen anyone unjustly criticise Ramsey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

He’s rarely shown that he’s got the temperament to play a deeper role (and I’m not sure about the passing range either). That’s not to say he can’t develop these elements in his game and move further back as he matures, but he’s not there now so I think it’s making excuses for him to say he’s not maximising his talent because he’s in the wrong position.

Wilsheres passing range and abilities are the last thing I'd call into question about him

Ramsey is very selfish at times.
    That is unforgivable for me.
    7 goals in 44 appearances.
    He's the midfield equivalent of Giroud in attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Biased bollocks, that. What about the time he ran the midfield against the best team the world has ever seen?

I like Ramsey but when he's not scoring goals he's average at best. Positionally lacking, and his passing isn't fantastic either. Wilshere is much better in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Wilshere is prone to brainfarts that cost the team tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

mansize wrote: »

...for example...

Some dude writes an article over a year ago and that's your proof that Wilshere Is prone to brain farts and costs the team?

WIlshere is far more positionally disciplined than Ramsey. He is a bit confrontational at times yes, but aggression isn't a bad thing.

And if you're going to make claims about how Wilshere costs the team with brainfarts, at least do us the courtesy of explaining the arguments yourself instead of expecting us to to read some randomers article.

Some dude writes an article over a year ago and that's your proof that Wilshere Is prone to brain farts and costs the team?

I don't see anyone else being asked for evidence on their opinions but nyeh

I don't see anyone else being asked for evidence on their opinions but nyeh

You didn't give your opinion, you stated a "fact" and then linked us to someone else's opinion...

• Advertisement

Bottom of that article is a link to another article;

'Joking aside, the substitution and Jack’s subsequent performance caused Twitter to rally behind the midfielder, insisting that he’s one of our best and standing by Roy Hodgson’s decision to bring him to Euro 2016.'

http://dailycannon.com/2016/06/wilsheres-comes-on-for-england-they-score/

So even if this site doesnt like Jack, their view is that the rest of Twitter does.

You didn't give your opinion, you stated a "fact" and then linked us to someone else's opinion...

I proffered an opinion just like anyone else did

He hasn't played much this season where would you gather evidence from this season????

I proffered an opinion just like anyone else did

You made a bold statement about a player and have provided nothing to back It up?

You made a bold statement about a player and have provided nothing to back It up?

I gave that article that went through it

I gave that article that went through it

Ok mate.

Wilshere Is world class, he just needs games.

This is a very bold statement that didn't have any coresponding evidence, but it's popular so no one questions it.

Arsenal have a few World Class players - why is Wilshere one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Did Wilshere give up the cigarettes?

This is a very bold statement that didn't have any coresponding evidence, but it's popular so no one questions it.

Arsenal have a few World Class players - why is Wilshere one?

It's hardly a popular statement In fairness.

I think he's world class because he possesses world class qualities. His passion determination and commitment are almost unmatched at this club, he's got excellent positioning, awareness and vision. His passing Is very good his link up play Is excellent and when he goes forward he makes things happen.

He's extremely versatile In that he can be effective In an attacking midfield role In a holding midfield role or on the wings. He's not a goal scorer per say but he has scored some excellent goals In his time. He doesn't perform world class all the time nor does anyone. But he Is a world class player, he just needs to consistently play.

All my opinion of course, but at least i gave one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wislhires sending off against United certainly cost us points and a lot more that year. In fact you could use that whole game as example of how Wilshire has brainfarts.

It's hardly a popular statement In fairness.

I think he's world class because he possesses world class qualities. His passion determination and commitment are almost unmatched at this club, he's got excellent positioning, awareness and vision. His passing Is very good his link up play Is excellent and when he goes forward he makes things happen.

He's extremely versatile In that he can be effective In an attacking midfield role In a holding midfield role or on the wings. He's not a goal scorer per say but he has scored some excellent goals In his time. He doesn't perform world class all the time nor does anyone. But he Is a world class player, he just needs to consistently play.

All my opinion of course, but at least i gave one.

Now you did - I would see that as saying he has world class potential and as you say it's all opinion with 0 examples or evidence

Quazzie wrote: »
    Wislhires sending off against United certainly cost us points and a lot more that year. In fact you could use that whole game as example of how Wilshire has brainfarts.

The worlds best players get red cards all the time It's part of the game, Zidane,Vieira,Keane etc etc etc. I don't think you can use It as stick to beat them with though?

I wouldn't call a guy who smokes and off field behaviour as examples of determination or commitment - quite the opposite in fact

Now you did - I would see that as saying he has world class potential and as you say it's all opinion with 0 examples or evidence

Apart from countless excellent performances? Assists? Goals? I mean It's all out there, If you watch football you'll have seen It.

The worlds best players get red cards all the time It's part of the game, Zidane,Vieira,Keane etc etc etc. I don't think you can use It as stick to beat them with though?

If he was half the player Zizou was I'd accept the cards

• Advertisement

I wouldn't call a guy who smokes and off field behaviour as examples of determination or commitment - quite the opposite in fact

Holy mother of god...

Apart from countless excellent performances? Assists? Goals? I mean It's all out there, If you watch football you'll have seen It.

His best performances have been in an England shirt against below par opposition

Holy mother of god...

A committed player is committed to the club and health and fitness would be a priority

You would see his brain farts too

A committed player is committed to the club and health and fitness would be a priority
    If Wilshere turns out like Socrates I won't be complaining.

• Advertisement

If Wilshere turns out like Socrates I won't be complaining.

Let's not get too philosophical 😜

He Is healthy and extremely fit, maybe you should worry about more Important things than someone having a sly fag every now and then when It's completely irrelevant to anything, If you never saw It in the papers you'd never even know.
    You would see his brain farts too

Show me them, I haven't seen many.

He Is healthy and extremely fit, maybe you should worry about more Important things than someone having a sly fag every now and then when It's completely irrelevant to anything, If you never saw It in the papers you'd never even know.

Show my his excellent performances- in an Arsenal shirt which is far easier as highlights are more readily available than errors online

His fitness levels aren't at the level of the top pros

At this stage, you actually have to be joking and pulling our legs.

Pull a cogent argument together man and post it in 1 post.

He is a top pro, who has been injured. When he hasn't been injured, he has been hyper fit. It's reasonable to assume he wouldn't be picked by AW otherwise, added to the fact that there isn't a lick of fat on him and he runs and runs, until the game is over or he is subbed off.

Show my his excellent performances- in an Arsenal shirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywzcypMCKiY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNATMQUEZEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6HWZTlER5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rq_Llu5efU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iMcDk52GIU

etc etc

:rolleyes: for the sake of anyone reading this thread and my own sanity, we're done.

All the way back to 2011 for clips of a world class player...

Your pull out skillz have improved greatly in the past year, Ken. :p

All the way back to 2011 for clips of a world class player...

Yep and all the way up to 2016.

:rolleyes: for the sake of anyone reading this thread and my own sanity, we're done.

Has been a welcome change from the usual topics :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement