Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Sky reporting it now. Waits for David Ornstein to tweet...

Just did!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

David Ornstein (@bbcsport_david)
    4 mins ago - View on Twitter
    Arsenal have triggered Jamie Vardy release clause & in talks with Leicester to sign the striker. Story broken by @StuartJamesGNM #AFC #LCFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He's a good player but at 29 there's only a few years left in him.
    He'll never replicate last season again either as defences will get to grips with him. Could be a one-hit-wonder.
    Surely there's a younger player equally as good on the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

The Ornacle has spoken. Wow, did not expect this.

At least he gave the reporter credit. Sky are shysters

He'll never replicate last season again either as defences will get to grips with him. Could be a one-hit-wonder.

Martial???

Is it a case of damned if they do and damned if they don't?

mansize wrote: »
    Martial???

Is it a case of damned if they do and damned if they don't?

Not at all. He's a good player as I said. It's just his age.

The Ornacle has spoken. Wow, did not expect this.

The next step up from Ornstein is Wenger/the club themselves. I see Wenger was at Wembley last night so maybe there was extra business to contend to.

Vardy a very good player but at 29 he isnt going to get any faster.

change of wrist support colour? :D

HTB1YpFQFVXXXXbWaXXXq6xXFXXXl.jpg

Not at all. He's a good player as I said. It's just his age.

£20mll if they won the BPL they'd recoup it in 1 season

If Wilshere is the reason Vardy signs and we win the BPL next season I'll never say anything bad about him again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Ian Wright Wright Wright was 29 when we signed him

So what Arsenal player will impress most at Euro 16???

Vardy ?

So what Arsenal player will impress most at Euro 16???

Vardy ?

Cheeky

wawaman wrote: »

oddly he also tweeted 7hours ago saying he wanted Vardy at Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I can't believe this.

I'm actually a bit torn about it. I still haven't adjusted to the fact that Jamie Vardy seems somehow to be really good.

As one of yis said, him and Ozil...and Jack...

Wow.

So I lasted about a week before I'm dying for next season already.

If we sign him a night out on the blue WKD and Thai prozzies is required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Can't believe people are doubting the signing of vardy for £20m.

He's proved it in the premier league
    He's doing the business internationally
    He's matured and has 3 top seasons at least considering his pace he will be quick for years to come.
    Arsenal need to win the premiership next season to keep Sanchez and ozil we don't want a young striker MAYBE come good when ozil is long gone.
    We need action now and have to change our transfer activity to suit.

What number would Vardy be? 14?

Can't believe people are doubting the signing of vardy for £20m.

He's proved it in the premier league
    He's doing the business internationally
    He's matured and has 3 top seasons at least considering his pace he will be quick for years to come.
    Arsenal need to win the premiership next season to keep Sanchez and ozil we don't want a young striker MAYBE come good when ozil is long gone.
    We need action now and have to change our transfer activity to suit.

For 20 m he'd be very good value.
    It's only his age that worries me but 2 good years would be great.

• Advertisement

2 years is enough to plug a gap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's a bold and somewhat reckless move by Wenger.

I think I like it.

What number would Vardy be? 14?

Ah ha i see what you done there :) Id imagine he'd get 9 which has been vacant since Podolski left.

Need one of those gifs where Wenger in smoking a blunt link a BMF

For 20 m he'd be very good value.
    It's only his age that worries me but 2 good years would be great.

RVP was 28 going on 29 (maybe even just turned 29) when he signed for United....

Different type of player though. Wrights game was more about poaching and lurking whereas Vardys game is more about running. Dont get me wrong, Wrighty scored plenty of screamers too but vast majority were inside the box.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    RVP was 28 going on 29 (maybe even just turned 29) when he signed for United....

Wenger rarely signs players nearing 30 though.

Basil3 wrote: »

RVP was a technically gifted player who didn't need pace really because his strengths were technique and power. No offence to Vardy but he's no RVP

Jesus, never realised that.

Ian Wright Wright Wright
    Ian Wright Wright Wright

I'm warming to this.
    Xhaka, Vardy a good CB and nobody of note leaving and i'd be very happy.

Ozil tips hat to Wenger

mqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

RVP was a technically gifted player who didn't need pace really because his strengths were technique and power. No offence to Vardy but he's no RVP

True, but RVP also cost more money with one year left on his contract. Point is that signing RVP was enough to get Fergie one last title, thinking short term. Vardy could be part of the puzzle that allows Wenger to do the same.

he signed for 22.5m though and that was what 3 years ago, prices have been inflated a lot in that time/ For 20m now I honestly think Vardy would be great Value. Having him and Giroud would give you great options and it wouldnt hurt that he just won the league and was the top scorer at his club while doing so. He also can play as the single CF upfront

The more I think about it the more I think it would be a very good move for Arsenal.

He scored in 11 games on the trot last season. Surely clubs would have become wary of him during that run.

Not sure if Leicester had to face the blanket defence at home as often as we do though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I cant believe people are having reservations about this. If it turns out to be true it would be a fantastic signing. Its far better than looking to the likes of Chamakh, Bentdner, Sanogo or anyone else like we have in the past. Maybe the penny has finally dropped with Wenger that projects arent the way to go. Regarding his age, 29 isnt exactly zimmer frame territory just yet, knock 2 or 3 good seasons out of him and he will pay for himself

wonga77 wrote: »
    I cant believe people are having reservations about this. If it turns out to be true it would be a fantastic signing. Its far better than looking to the likes of Chamakh, Bentdner, Sanogo or anyone else like we have in the past. Maybe the penny has finally dropped with Wenger that projects arent the way to go. Regarding his age, 29 isnt exactly zimmer frame territory just yet, knock 2 or 3 good seasons out of him and he will pay for himself

Sanogo might still come good!

Ah, not even I believe that.

Sanogoals. Heh.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The **** just happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Vardy is only a year older than Higuain and about half the price. Seems like a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Excellent news at that price if we do sign him. No worries about him settling into the Premiership either.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

God, this came out of nowhere!

Though if we're being honest its what everyone has been asking for.
    Passionate, gritty player.
    Scores at will.
    Knows the premier league (ish)
    Has his morally abject moments that people seem to love at other clubs.
    Speedy, and cheap.

20m is absolutely nothing considering the Morata rumours are 45m+ - look at the last top striker moves, Benteke, Lukaku, feckin Andy Carroll was 30m a while back. Obviously Vardy hasnt the years they have but I have a feeling we'll see a few more of the reserve strikers come up with a shot considering the trend recently.

We could get Vardy and another winger in, that and a Left back meaning Monreal can sub as CB (which i think he proved he is capable of) and a Calum chambers getting his act together I think we'd be looking decent next year.

Wenger ya mad man.

https://twitter.com/JWTelegraph/status/738839800132829184

Indeed. I think everyone can be happy if that's the case. Wenger having a crack at one last title before he bows out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Vardy is nothing compared to rvp in fairness.

Ibrahimovic to united

bangkok wrote: »
    Vardy is nothing compared to rvp in fairness.

Ibrahimovic to united

What people dont realise is that Vardy only scored 5 goals the previous season before hand. This could be a coup or another Franny Jeffers

What people dont realise is that Vardy only scored 5 goals the previous season before hand. This could be a coup or another Franny Jeffers

We all realise that. But at least we know he can score.

Like James Beattie did that one season. (Joking chill!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

I really don't know about this. The way I look at it is - he's had one great season. One. I'd be way more comfortable going for a good striker in their early 20s like Icardi or Aubameyang but that would mean spending serious money and Arsene just isn't gonna do that. Stinks a bit to me of once again going for the cheaper option. He relies totally on his pace and at 29 at best he'll have two seasons but if he gets injured it could be the end of him. There's no guarantee he'll score like he did last season either.

I know nobody will agree with me and ill probably be slated but there's too much risk involved here I think.

If this goes through and he's a massive hit then Ill have no problem holding my hands up by the way

Are we counting our chickens here?

Like, we made an offer (i think). Is it likely to be refused?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gus99

Not to nit-pick, we signed him 2 months before his 28th birthday

Ol' Donie wrote: »

If the story is true we have met the buy-out clause that only applies to Champions League clubs.

If we can make an attractive enough offer to Vardy I think this could well happen.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

As far as I gather, a release clause is met. The player could decide he wants to stay at Leicester (while pushing for a huge bump in pay), or he agrees terms with Arsenal.

There's no way this is going to happen!
    As Wenger has Giroud, Sanchez, Walcott and others that can play the role.
    I'm not too convinced about Vardy in a team that doesn't work for each other like Leicester have done this season.

On the other hand if Wenger does do it, I will be happy as it shows the man can change, even if it is after 10 years of arrogance and stubborn outlook!

• Advertisement

sonic85 wrote: »
    I really don't know about this. The way I look at it is - he's had one great season. One. I'd be way more comfortable going for a good striker in their early 20s like Icardi or Aubameyang but that would mean spending serious money and Arsene just isn't gonna do that. Stinks a bit to me of once again going for the cheaper option. He relies totally on his pace and at 29 at best he'll have two seasons but if he gets injured it could be the end of him. There's no guarantee he'll score like he did last season either.

I know nobody will agree with me and ill probably be slated but there's too much risk involved here I think.

If this goes through and he's a massive hit then Ill have no problem holding my hands up by the way

Do you understand how Wenger's brain works? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement