Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

There's no way this is going to happen!
    As Wenger has Giroud, Sanchez, Walcott and others that can play the role.
    I'm not too convinced about Vardy in a team that doesn't work for each other like Leicester have done this season.

On the other hand if Wenger does do it, I will be happy as it shows the man can change, even if it is after 10 years of arrogance and stubborn outlook!

If there's one single thing we know, it's that Walcott can't play that role!

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    If there's one single thing we know, it's that Walcott can't play that role!

Only took 10 years to realise it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

I think we can say it 80% doesnt look like Walcott will be with us next season..

and good riddance!

Ajfunky wrote: »
    I think we can say it 80% doesnt look like Walcott will be with us next season..

and good riddance!

I can imagine him running into the door frame and losing control of his kitbag on his way out of the Emirates.

Sorry Theo. I love you, man, but jesus, would you just concentrate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I really hope there is nothing in this story. A one hit wonder and a very dis-likeable person. It would be a pure desperation signing along the lines of Andy Carroll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Being strongly linked with 2nd top scorer in the league last season and premier league winner and I'm unhappy.

Can't help but think he will never achieve what he did last season again, but feck it, it's not my money and tbh 20million if that's the fee, is nothing. Some of the money that will be thrown about this summer will be crazy and we could do a lot worse.

nice to see us getting (or trying to get) our business done early.

Here's hoping Wenger goes mad and spends a load of money and really goes for it next season.

Be even more special to win it with Jose at United and pep at city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Why do people dislike Vardy?

jester77 wrote: »
    I really hope there is nothing in this story. A one hit wonder and a very dis-likeable person. It would be a pure desperation signing along the lines of Andy Carroll.

We should sign Andy Carroll.

At least then he couldn't score against us anymore.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Why do people dislike Vardy?

Probably that racist business. Which was a bit nasty.

For my own summation, at £20m its well worth a gamble. In terms of actual optimism i'm pretty much on the fence tbh.

For Vardy to excel im not sure we can continue to play at the same pace of football. To get the best out of him it has to be high tempo, high octane stuff. He'll probably suit us away more than at home tbh if we are on the counter attack but he'll become very frustrated and starved of ball if we are arseing around with it like we tend to do. That said we seem to be going for a more direct type of player. We have signed Elneny and now we have Xhaka with Vardy to follow soon perhaps. Then factor in Ozil who always takes the right option good or bad, Jack who likes to draw defenders in with his runs, Santi, and Alexis.

• Advertisement

I still don't believe it will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

United fans on twitter saying they turned down Vardy for Ibra

No UCL, no release clause!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Ive been following Arsenal 25 years now and I'm genuinely shocked, to realise that we only signed Ian Wright when he was 29 years old!!! Never realised that. And to think that he went on to become the all time top goal scorer before Henry arrived. Ian Wright was also a late bloomer playing non league football, just like Vardy.

Don't really know what to make of the possible Vardy signing, very un Wenger like. Obviously 24 league goals in a season is pretty impressive, but we do play a different style and face different defensive set ups to what Leicester did. No,doubt he has great talent, be interesting to see how he gets on in the euros.

He's a good player but at 29 there's only a few years left in him.
    He'll never replicate last season again either as defences will get to grips with him. Could be a one-hit-wonder.
    Surely there's a younger player equally as good on the continent.

41061-albert-einstein-insanity-definition.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

We need a new striker
    We need a prolific striker
    We need someone who takes half chances
    We need a proven goalscorer

Sh*t it's Vardy

Only f*cking Arsenal fans

He's what we need ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Double post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Wow this is the first I've heard of this Vardy business all day. I'm all for it, after seeing the muck that teams have signed in the past few years for far more than 20 million its plain to see Vardy for that price is an absolute steal.

People saying he relies purely on his pace need their heads examined. He is clearly an outrageously good finisher as well and his general positioning last season was incredible, almost has that Harry Kane ability of just being in the right place at the right time.

I'll be delighted if we sign Vardy, for better or for worse it shows Wenger still gives a fùck and wants to go out with a bang by winning one last title. It's the least Wenger signing I've heard of in a long time but it'd be a big big move if we pull it off.

Fingers crossed Vardy and Leicester are interested in the offer, good to know it's been confirmed by Ornstein, his word is gospel when it comes to Arsenal imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

When Jose signed for ManUtd, Arsenal fans here talked all about class and are not for winning at all cost. Now you guys are happy signing Vardy who was clearly seen making racist comments. Football fans and fickle nature eh?

Not having dig at anyone just general observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    When Jose signed for ManUtd, Arsenal fans here talked all about class and are not for winning at all cost. Now you guys are happy signing Vardy who was clearly seen making racist comments. Football fans and fickle nature eh?

I think you'll find that's the reservation people have

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

To be fair this is exactly what most posters are saying, and sums up my own feelings about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

That is definitely how I feel. Decent player but a but of an idiot. Im a bit disappointed that we are not going out all for Aubameyang.

I think it shows that Arsene knows we need someone at least

You're spot on.
    Arsenal fans are deluded because of so many years making excuses for Mr Wenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Of course you're having a dig.

I'd rather we didn't sign him for that reason. Hard to believe we can't find someone elsewhere.

A good few other regs have said this too so your assessment seems slightly wrong.

Though I'd say there's a difference between a striker in a team and the figurehead of your club. Jose might prove us all wrong and become a respectful human being and then I'd say 'well done Utd' for going back on their original assessment of his character and their decision not to let him lead the club.

As regards Vardy, I've no real problem with the age profile as he ticks my two main boxes (is fast, can finish) but Wenger needs to sign another forward as well that may be the main man in 2 years.

gosplan wrote: »
    Of course you're having a dig.

I'd rather we didn't sign him for that reason. Hard to believe we can't find someone elsewhere.

A good few other regs have said this too so your assessment seems slightly wrong.

Though I'd say there's a difference between a striker in a team and the figurehead of your club. Jose might prove us all wrong and become a respectful human being and then I'd say 'well done Utd' for going back on their original assessment of his character and their decision not to let him lead the club.

As regards Vardy, I've no real problem with the age profile as he ticks my two main boxes (is fast, can finish) but Wenger needs to sign another forward as well that may be the main man in 2 years.

Obviously when it suits you.

Jose might prove us all wrong and become a respectful human being and then I'd say 'well done Utd' for going back on their original assessment of his character and their decision not to let him lead the club.

:pac:
    He's already shown more intent in host first week of appointment than the previous manager had in 2 seasons.
    Make no mistake, they will be above us next season and United fans won't give a **** what fans of other clubs think about their manager as long as he makes them a success, as that is the ultimate goal no?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

Don't think Arsenal will sign. Doesn't have the technical ability to fit in and won't have space to run in behind.

Just can't see wenger spending that money on a 29yo one season wonder. Smokescreen.

Also can people stop reading one or two posts by individual Arsenal fans (ignoring others) and then saying things like "all ye Arsenal fans think this or that" it's silly.

I might be mistaken here but did Vardy not just tell some Japanese guy to "fu*k off Jap".

OK it's not good and Jap can be viewed as more insulting than say "Irish" but would he be getting all this Racist stick if he told an Irish man to "fu*k off paddy".?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

yupya1 wrote: »
    Don't think Arsenal will sign. Doesn't have the technical ability to fit in and won't have space to run in behind.

Just can't see wenger spending that money on a 29yo one season wonder. Smokescreen.

Also can people stop reading one or two posts by individual Arsenal fans (ignoring others) and then saying things like "all ye Arsenal fans think this or that" it's silly.

I might be mistaken here but did Vardy not just tell some Japanese guy to "fu*k off Jap".

OK it's not good and Jap can be viewed as more insulting than say "Irish" but would he be getting all this Racist stick if he told an Irish man to "fu*k off paddy".?

Chances are his name would have been paddy :)

Obviously when it suits you.

Well one does all the pre and post match interviews, dictates the style of play, atmosphere at the club, relationships with opposition, officials and media, professional relationships within the club etc,

The other is a striker.

But just to confirm, I am in no way excited about the prospect of Vardy.

:pac:
    He's already shown more intent in host first week of appointment than the previous manager had in 2 seasons.
    Make no mistake, they will be above us next season and United fans won't give a **** what fans of other clubs think about their manager as long as he makes them a success, as that is the ultimate goal no?

I keep saying, if success is all that matters, then why don't we all just support Barca.

There is more to football than winning in any way possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

There is always these one season English wonders.

Then the next season they dissappear.

No thanks.

Well one does all the pre and post match interviews, dictates the style of play, atmosphere at the club, relationships with opposition, officials and media, professional relationships within the club etc,

The other is a striker.

But just to confirm, I am in no way excited about the prospect of Vardy.

So class is needed only for manager but not much for player?

I'm not saying all Arsenal fans support the Vardy signing and called Jose names, just that I found few who did in this thread itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm not saying all Arsenal fans support the Vardy signing and called Jose names, just that I found few who did in this thread itself.

I was fuming when he clattered into Koscielny's legs and won Leicester a penalty. But I'd be delighted if he did the same in an Arsenal shirt with Smalling. That's the hypocrisy of a football supporter. I've learned to live with the contradiction

I keep saying, if success is all that matters, then why don't we all just support Barca.

There is more to football than winning in any way possible.

Same argument from you each time.
    We support arsenal not arsenal wenger.

Arsenal fans saying "I don't care about winning, only about how we show ourselves to the rest of the world" are up their own holes.

No it's clearly lacking in both and that's a problem for a supporter of either team who believes there are standards in that regard.

But next year, for better or worse, Arsenal will still be Wenger FC and Utd will be Jose FC.

Individual players don't have as much an influence on the ethos of a club, that's all I'm saying.

Indeed. Btw, no-one was talking about Wenger. If you want to talk about him then fire away.

• Advertisement

Arsenal fans saying "I don't care about winning, only about how we show ourselves to the rest of the world" are up their own holes.

And you can't use quotation marks if people didn't actually say something.

Jesus, king of the strawmen or what.

And you can't use quotation marks if people didn't actually say something.

Jesus, king of the strawmen or what.

You are up your own hole!

You are up your own hole!

And you seem intent on having a row. Have a good day.

Gundogan? Nah.
    Zlatan? Meh.
    Vardy? Oh yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Gundogan? Nah.
    Zlatan? Meh.
    Vardy? Oh yeah!

Have enough CMs at the club for years to come but would have loved Ibra alright

• Advertisement

JustTheOne wrote: »
    There is always these one season English wonders.

Then the next season they dissappear.

No thanks.

Or Liverpool sign them.

It has the smell of that kinda move that Pool have been making for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Would have preferred Higuain/Icardi but very happy with the Vardy signing. Hopefully we can grab Gabigol as well and loan him back for next year.

Pointless arguments aside, all I'm saying is that I have an issue with Arsenal signing someone who would racially abuse someone.

I'd also have an issue with them signing people like Terry and Benzema and a few others.

I gather many think it's only about winning but for some reason I want decent guys lifting the trophies that we win, not scumbags who are decent footballers.

My point is that 'success is all' is a fairly hollow philosophy that embraces drugs, diving, cheating, whatever ... including switching club.

Arsenal for me is a great club run in a good way. I have a major beef with Kronke and that spoils it for me. I also have an issue with stuff Wenger has done in this regard. I think the Suarez bid was just being an asshole. Plus some of the 'I didn't see it' stuff is a bit too much.

But there's a type of person I'd rather now have at the club. Racists, people who blackmail teammates, people who sleep with teammates' wives and so on.

In short, I am up my own hole.

Clean sheet for Ospina in the Copa last night as Columbia beat the USA 2-0, Sanchez not out until Monday night I think against Messi and co

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I didn't hear about Vardy's racist comments.
    When did that happen and who was abused?

Late night casino thing.

Keeps shouting 'hey Jap, walk on Jap' or something to an Asian guy.

The Leicester Thai orgy was much worse for me but not sure he was involved.

I'll also put it out there. I'd have huge concerns Vardy would be doping and he'd just get injured/lose form at our club if he stopped.

As far as I can make out he had a row with a guy in a Casino last summer and told him to f**k off, he called him a "jap" three times. All caught on camera, he apologised later.
    I think its a mountain out of a molehill tbh, calling someone a Jap obviously isnt politically correct but it doesnt make him a registered member of the KKK or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Vardy is a cracking signing imo. Cheap as chips too the way the money is going. I used to have pretty strong opinions on Vardy but being honest, none of us know him personally and everyone makes mistakes. Just because his are a bit more publicised doesn't mean plenty of other footballers haven't done similar or worse. If he starts scoring for fun I doubt there'll be too much outrage.

Also on the one season wonder: how many times has a premier league team signed one of the top players for the premier league winning side? This isn't the same as signing someone from Southampton or Everton imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Hardly racist in my view it's a short version of Japanese.

wonga77 wrote: »
    As far as I can make out he had a row with a guy in a Casino last summer and told him to f**k off, he called him a "jap" three times. All caught on camera, he apologised later.
    I think its a mountain out of a molehill tbh, calling someone a Jap obviously isnt politically correct but it doesnt make him a registered member of the KKK or anything.

Ah yeah, it's not the worst thing ever. Not nice though.

If it doesn't happen again and he cuts out the diving, then OK. In essence if he behaves as a representative of the club should.

It's like some Man U fan's hope of Jose. If he changes his spots, represents them with their traditional integrity, and is still as hugely effective as a manager, then well done them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement