Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So you don't think he should be allowed to be forgiven?

Yeah totally. I just have reservations about him playing for us.

This is just my opinion though, my own viewpoint on it.

Like I said earlier, if he tows the line and doesn't repeat that, then he could be a great signing. But he'll have to win me over.

I have no problem with giving people second chances.

I don't buy into glossing over it though with the 'not so bad', 'not really racist' comments.

It was a totally scummy thing to do and showed a fairly poor character from Vardy. Hopefully it was out of character however and he learned from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

vardy-k51D-U1509569765628rD-620x349@Gazzetta-Web_articolo.jpg?v=201606041853

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

*checks for feminists*......Can we come on her :P

As long as you're not abusive!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Tidy finish from Giroud bamboozling the Scottish keeper to give France the lead.

Without prejudice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

greendom wrote:
    Tidy finish from Giroud bamboozling the Scottish keeper to give France the lead.

Yeah but how about that build up play from the non arsenal player....

Pter wrote: »
    Yeah but how about that build up play from the non arsenal player....

It was Sagna!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

greendom wrote:
    It was Sagna!

Haven't had a player like him since Lee Dixon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Having Giroud and Vardy as our strikers will be so good. Two completely different options, genuine competition for places which will push both to improve and we could play them together too the odd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Arsenal beating Scotland 3-0 currently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Giroud again!

Arsenal beating Scotland 3-0 currently

Giroud with his second and Kos from a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

AW: Ivan cancel the vardy bid, ollies back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

wawaman wrote: »

Not sure if...

wawaman wrote: »

Is an argument that Giroud benefits from decent crosses against weak defenders?

You get enough weak defenders in the premiership but we just don't play the right way for him.

Keep Vardy on ice, watch Giroud's stock soar in the Euros, flog him and buy someone rediculous.

I'd say the Morata rumours are rubbish. No way would Wenger be stupid enough to go for ANOTHER striker like that. I'm sure that someone can point out stats that say Morata is good but he's just not the right fit and never will be. Neither was Benzema.

It just seems that we create so many chances that result in someone just needing decent finishing and the ability to beat a man for pace. Like we get our forwards space but you have to be able to use it.

Walcott fits the description but has no intelligence on the pitch. Should have called time on him earlier. Big black mark against Wenger too. If he believes in a player and is going to nurture and develop him for 8 years or whatever, he had to know when to call time in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I think France will do well at the euros, Giroud is in fine form and at 16/1 is worth a few quid each way

New rumour from Vardys agent that medical is tomorrow at 2pm in Colney. Personal terms agreed, could be announced Monday.

I am very very surprised at how fast and easy this is going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

If the Vardy thing is true, and we've already got Xhaka, I wonder what made the penny finally drop with the board? I dont remember us ever being this active so early on in the window. Im not complaining or anything, but its all very unArsenal like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I've a very nasty feeling about this. Something akin to Franny Jeffers... The fox in the box... From the foxes...

God forgive me!

I am welcoming a change of attitude from the gaffer, but I am not fully in favour of this person becoming our new man. big fish, small pond etc!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

New rumour from Vardys agent that medical is tomorrow at 2pm in Colney. Personal terms agreed, could be announced Monday.

In fairness, the biggest hurdle to deal with is usually the club, and in this case, they can't negotiate because Arsenal have met his release clause.

My guess is that Vardy is doubling his pay, or close to it, for the next three years. That's something that he simply couldn't get at Leicester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

wonga77 wrote: »
    If the Vardy thing is true, and we've already got Xhaka, I wonder what made the penny finally drop with the board? I dont remember us ever being this active so early on in the window. Im not complaining or anything, but its all very unArsenal like

I think the summer we got podolski santi and someone else I can't remember it was done early and quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

wonga77 wrote: »

I reckon its in case he has a good Euros. If he does then his price will soar. I am happy they are getting business sorted. Also means he will be available for the whole pre-season as well (depending how far England get in the Euros).

It's a strange position to be in with two major signings already sorted by the start of June (assuming the Vardy timeframe is accurate!).

I'm happy enough with Vardy and it leaves a lot in the kitty for a top level defender (yes I am getting greedy!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Have a bad feeling about this. I think one good season doesn't make a top level player. At 29 he won't get any better he'll only get worse and other than Arsenal no other team seems to have been in for him despite his magnificent season. Great at Leicester against teams willing to come out and play with loads of space to run into but how will he fare playing against properly stacked defences. Only time will tell I guess

sonic85 wrote: »
    Have a bad feeling about this. I think one good season doesn't make a top level player. At 29 he won't get any better he'll only get worse and other than Arsenal no other team seems to have been in for him despite his magnificent season. Great at Leicester against teams willing to come out and play with loads of space to run into but how will he fare playing against properly stacked defences. Only time will tell I guess

Personally, I feel my physical peak was aged 31-33

We need a striker that is different to Giroud and Vardy is that and whilst there is a risk that he is a one season wonder there is also a strong possibility he could do better with a player of Ozils class setting up scoring opportunities.

For the club a cost upfront of £20 million is well worth the risk.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    For the club a cost upfront of £20 million is well worth the risk.

Gunnerblog tweeted earlier that he understands the value is closer to £30m. Changes things a bit.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Gunnerblog tweeted earlier that he understands the value is closer to £30m. Changes things a bit.

It doesn't change a lot really, how much does a top class striker that has the potential to net 20 plus goals a season in the premiership cost in your estimation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Basil3 wrote: »
    Personally, I feel my physical peak was aged 31-33

Right. I dont think you're own personal situation has anything to do with Jamie Vardy though. Pacey players on the wrong side of 30 dont normally retain their pace that well. Fitness wise they could be A1 but that yard or two usually goes. Like I said I could be totally wrong and it wouldn't be the first time to be honest but there's a huge question mark over him. I'd rather have spent more on a more established striker that's proven themselves over a longer period of time.

Nevertheless if the deal goes through I'll wish him all the best and cheer for him when he's on the field

Like Ian Wright he was a late developer. Still playing non-league football until relatively recently so he should have plenty of miles on the clock. His relatively lowly start in football should keep him motivated.

He scored 11 goals in consecutive games. If he was that easy to defend against why did no team manage to stop him in that time.

As for other teams not being in for him, the clause only applied to Champions League clubs, which severely thins out the field. Talk is that Liverpool wanted him and were prepared to pay him even more than we are supposed to be.

It may not work out but I really believe it will.

Right. I dont think you're own personal situation has anything to do with Jamie Vardy though. Pacey players on the wrong side of 30 dont normally retain their pace that well. Fitness wise they could be A1 but that yard or two usually goes. Like I said I could be totally wrong and it wouldn't be the first time to be honest but there's a huge question mark over him. I'd rather have spent more on a more established striker that's proven themselves over a longer period of time.

Nevertheless if the deal goes through I'll wish him all the best and cheer for him when he's on the field

I was only really being tongue-in-cheek, but too lazy to use the smiley.

I don't think his pace is all he relies on. He can finish well, regardless....and it wasn't pace that got him the peno against Monreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

greendom wrote: »
    Like Ian Wright he was a late developer. Still playing non-league football until relatively recently so he should have plenty of miles on the clock. His relatively lowly start in football should keep him motivated.

He scored 11 goals in consecutive games. If he was that easy to defend against why did no team manage to stop him in that time.

As for other teams not being in for him, the clause only applied to Champions League clubs, which severely thins out the field. Talk is that Liverpool wanted him and were prepared to pay him even more than we are supposed to be.

It may not work out but I really believe it will.

Liverpool wouldn't pay £30m for a 29 year old. It would go against everything the owners have done over the last few years.

Yes they don't mind spending once the player will have a sell on fee in a few years but Vardy isn't that kind of purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

If Vardy does sign surely that's the exit door for Walcott? If West Ham pay £20m for Walcott it's more or less a straight swap. Walcott had his chance to be the pacey striker and didn't take it, not much downside to shipping him out and giving Vardy a go is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Everybody was crying with anger when we didn't sign a striker last summer or any outfield player.
    Now were on the brink of arguably the best player and prolific goalscorer of the whole of last season who scored in 11 consecutive games and he's only going to cost 25mill give or take?
    Who cares if he doesn't work out its not your money Wenger is spending.
    We've had a long boring 4 years with giroud upfront just enjoy the possibilities of a 20+premier league goal striker that can make the most of ozils talents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Vardy has personality, doesn't give a sh*t, works like a man possessed and scores goals.

I'll be very happy to have him with us if he signs.

As much as I dislike Giroud, having both him and Vardy gives us great options.

Couldn't care about his age. If we get a couple of 20+ goals a season from him id be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

€20m is a reasonable enough gamble, I can't say he's the man Id like us to sign but based on his last season we can more than afford the gamble.

Offload Walcott to cover the cost with some change and that's good business

Just need a new manager now

Arseblog saying Vardy pretty much done, definite interest in Wolfsburg LB, at least one other defender and a wide attacker!!!

Jeebus!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What have they done with our Arsene at all O_O

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Whilst Vardy wouldn't have been my first choice given his off field antics, his age, and his playing style which I'm not sure will suit Arsenal, more than happy with the signing.

Him and Xhaxa are 2 proper bullies who will fight their corner unlike slit of the selfie brigade we have. Good to get the deals done early. But we still need a couple more.

Didn't Rogriguez already openly say he wanted to join Xhaka at Arsenal aswell jesus if we keep going at this rate.....

And actually the more of I think of it , the more sense it makes , Arsene has seen the land for next season , he knows he has to deal with Mourinho and Pep and Conte and whatever else the premiership throws up so it makes sense to finally spend big or risk being left behind for the 1st time ever

What have they done with our Arsene at all O_O

If there's a pattern there, it seems that he's not relying on certain players, namely the 'potential' bunch: Walcott, Wilshire, Gibbs, Ox.

It seems Walcott and Gibbs are on the way out.

Wilshire will stay but without him, we've got 5 central players, 2 of whom can also play wide.

As I see it: new wide attacker, Sanchez, Campbell, Rambo, Wilshire are all in line for a wing spot before Ox gets on the pitch.

Just guessing but

Xhaka
    Santi
    New Wing - Ozil - Alexis
    Vardy

Coq
    Elneny
    Rambo --- Iwobi --- Campbell
    Giroud

Obviously Iwobi is a bit of a contradiction to what I've just said but we've no real reason to rely on any of the players that are more or less ubreliable.

• Advertisement

Sun (who i know are a rag) are linking us to Mikhataryan (is that right? ) but i wonder is he the wide player we're looking at , would very much be a typical wenger signing and in wenger's new favoured market too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Guessing that this might be the Arsenal squad next year

...............................(Ospina/Szcz)
    ....................................Cech

.(Jenkinson)....(Chambers).......Mertesacker.....(Monreal/Gibbs)
    ....Bellerin........Koschiellny..........Paulista...........Rodriguez

.......................(Elneny).........(Coquelin)
    ..................Wilshere/Ramsey...........Xhaka

..(Ramsey/Ox/theo)............(Cazorla)................(rotated)
    .....Mikhataryan...................Ozil.....................Sanchez

...................................(Giroud)
    .....................................Vardy

rotated = Campbell, Iwobi or Gnarby or potentially Cazorla or Ox/Theo

Wellbeck when fit to be 3rd choice CF and backup on the wings
    Wilshere probably not fit long enough but him or Ramsey would probably start next to Xhaka, not sure who though

One of Chamberlain or Walcott would probably push for a move if told straight that they would be backup at best
    One of Ospina/Szcz to not be okay with being 3rd choice and either be sold or loaned out
    I would also assume one of the CBs would be moved on (unless Chambers was loaned out) if a new guy is signed and yeah a starting CB partner for Kos would seem like the one missing piece. Debuchy no doubt would move on too.

Vardy has personality, doesn't give a sh*t, works like a man possessed and scores goals.

I'll be very happy to have him with us if he signs.

As much as I dislike Giroud, having both him and Vardy gives us great options.

Couldn't care about his age. If we get a couple of 20+ goals a season from him id be delighted.

Agreed.
    One thing we need at Arsenal is a bully, especially up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I would also assume one of the CBs would be moved on (unless Chambers was loaned out) if a new guy is signed and yeah a starting CB partner for Kos would seem like the one missing piece. Debuchy no doubt would move on too.

I'd assume we won't sell on any of our cb's regardless of whether we buy another one or not. We're short in that department already imo.

Agreed.

Team is definitely moving in that direction. Sanchez is feisty, Xhaka is coming with that reputation and now Vardy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

After calling for the 'finished product' for years I can't give out about Vardy, despite style reservations etc. very much a wait and see but getting excited regardless.

If we got Rodriguez, Vardy and Xhaka that would be a good summer, anything after a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

gosplan wrote: »
    If there's a pattern there, it seems that he's not relying on certain players, namely the 'potential' bunch: Walcott, Wilshire, Gibbs, Ox.

It seems Walcott and Gibbs are on the way out.

Wilshire will stay but without him, we've got 5 central players, 2 of whom can also play wide.

As I see it: new wide attacker, Sanchez, Campbell, Rambo, Wilshire are all in line for a wing spot before Ox gets on the pitch.

Just guessing but

Xhaka
    Santi
    New Wing - Ozil - Alexis
    Vardy

Coq
    Elneny
    Rambo --- Iwobi --- Campbell
    Giroud

Obviously Iwobi is a bit of a contradiction to what I've just said but we've no real reason to rely on any of the players that are more or less ubreliable.

Talking of patterns... Third place two seasons ago, second this season.

3...2...1 That's the pattern I want to see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

At the very least these signings or at least likely signings are getting us hyped about our club again, which is a nice feeling.

If vardy is singed pre Euros then it'll have been some business by Wenger, I'll take my hat of to him for that.

There has obviously been some serious soul searching within the club in recent weeks, maybe months.

I still have concerns about vardy, not specifically his off field antics, but the fact he's only had one good season (albeit a world class one) and that coupled with his age. Still I actually trust Wenger on this one. If he's willing to gamble on vardy then we should be too.

Exciting times again guys and girls.

Ps does anyone else think it'll be sad not see this seasons Leicester team in the CL. Would have been interesting. Hope they hold onto other players but think if vardy goes others will follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

omega man wrote: »
    At the very least these signings or at least likely signings are getting us hyped about our club again, which is a nice feeling.

If vardy is singed pre Euros then it'll have been some business by Wenger, I'll take my hat of to him for that.

There has obviously been some serious soul searching within the club in recent weeks, maybe months.

I still have concerns about vardy, not specifically his off field antics, but the fact he's only had one good season (albeit a world class one) and that coupled with his age. Still I actually trust Wenger on this one. If he's willing to gamble on vardy then we should be too.

Exciting times again guys and girls.

Ps does anyone else think it'll be sad not see this seasons Leicester team in the CL. Would have been interesting. Hope they hold onto other players but think if vardy goes others will follow.

I was hoping for Mahrez to come to us, and the rest to stay in Leicester.

If Mahrez, Vardy and Kante, who I rate highly after this season, all leave they are in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Agreed.

We need one at CB too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement