Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Vardy standing next to and chatting to Wilshere at the England team photo. It's a done deal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Vardy standing next to and chatting to Wilshere at the England team photo. It's a done deal...

They've boarded the plane now so we're going to have to wait for an announcement

greendom wrote: »
    They've boarded the plane now so we're going to have to wait for an announcement

Is Simon Brodkin (Jason Bent) on the plane this time? he joining too? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

he did, like Cesc before him tbf give us 8 of his best years and was an unbelievable talent.

Did he? I just remember Wenger standing over him through all his injuries and then after his 1st full season he did a legger when Fergie came calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

By and large to be fair Arsenal fans are no different than any other fans in terms of fickleness and while i myself didn't like some of Van Persie's comments when he left such as 'the little boy' bullshít, he did, like Cesc before him tbf give us 8 of his best years and was an unbelievable talent. Both deserved to win trophies with us too because they were top drawer but there wasn't enough experience around them to reinforce the side. Im probably out on my own in remembering these players for what they brought to the side more than for the acrimonious circumstances which they left.

I reckon time will be kinder to Vardy if he does leave than it was to RVP. Arsenal and Man U have always had a competitive rivalry with each other over decades regardless of respective league position and it hurt Arsenal fans to see RVP at Man U of all places given the rivalry that went before. Whereas Leicester may find it a bit more difficult to hit those heights again especially with everyone around having the finances to strengthen. This season should be cherished for them regardless and anyone who contributed it should not be forgotten

For me the big difference is that Vardy has given Leicester a fair bit over the last four years - two seasons in the championship and 2 in the premier league. His best goal return has obviously been this year but he played min 30 games each season and gave what he could, helping to secure promotion in 2013/2014 and then the title in 2015/2016.

RVP on the other hand was carried by Arsenal for 6 years, never coming close to 30 league games or scoring more than 11 premiership goals. Year seven he really came on scoring 18 goals but still missed a third of the league.
    Then in his final year he played every game, scored 30 league goals and promptly left.

The truth is that he wasn't an amazing talent and didn't deserve trophies until the end. He was carried by fitter better players and a club and manager that showed him too much loyalty.

I think that's what people have a bit of animosity towards him.

L'prof wrote: »
    Did he? I just remember Wenger standing over him through all his injuries and then after his 1st full season he did a legger when Fergie came calling.

In RVP's first 6 years with us, he scored an average of 8 league goals per season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

So much for this announcement by Vardy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggggghhhhhh

That's better

There's a twist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

gosplan wrote: »
    For me the big difference is that Vardy has given Leicester a fair bit over the last four years - two seasons in the championship and 2 in the premier league. His best goal return has obviously been this year but he played min 30 games each season and gave what he could, helping to secure promotion in 2013/2014 and then the title in 2015/2016.

RVP on the other hand was carried by Arsenal for 6 years, never coming close to 30 league games or scoring more than 11 premiership goals. Year seven he really came on scoring 18 goals but still missed a third of the league.
    Then in his final year he played every game, scored 30 league goals and promptly left.

The truth is that he wasn't an amazing talent and didn't deserve trophies until the end. He was carried by fitter better players and a club and manager that showed him too much loyalty.

I think that's what people have a bit of animosity towards him.

Ah here lets not get carried away, I agree with most of what you say but regardless of how he left nobody can deny that he was a world class talent, the problem is that he was made of wet cardboard. Had he been injury free for more time then im sure we would have won stuff with him as our main striker. He practically won the title for United when he went there, thats part of why people have animosity towards him

L'prof wrote: »

Thats true. Still a class player though. Did we really need the money at the time considering we bought Ozil 12 months later? Should we have held firm? Or is 22m too good to turn down for a 28/9 year old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Thats true. Still a class player though. Did we really need the money at the time considering we bought Ozil 12 months later? Should we have held firm? Or is 22m too good to turn down for a 28/9 year old?

Too many ifs and buts to be honest. He forced his way out and Wenger let him go. Best striker we've had since Henry but injuries played their toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Ornstein speaks again!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Ornstein speaks again!

Nothing new to report really. I suppose Sky sports have someone waiting at the other side for him? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Is Vardy the answer to our need for a world class Striker?

• Advertisement

Oh Arsenal. Thou giveth and taketh away for sport. Why must you derive such apparent pleasure from causing one so much suffering and pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm conflicted by the Vardy signing. Think its mad money for what he's achieved so far but then that's the way transfers are headed. I've no doubt though that the fact he's going on 30 is influential - if he was 24 say I'd have no doubt most Arsenal fans would be behind it.

Ultimately the lad scores goals in the league and shouldn't really need any bedding in time that say an Icardi/Lacazette/Auba would need.

Still incredibly out of left field from Arsenal though.

Would have much preferred Mahrez if we we're taking someone from Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm a bit confused by it all to be honest. We're singing a striker who scored lots of goals for a team who play on the counter - a team that spend most of the game without the ball. In other words, everything we are not. Can he adapt his game to suit a team who like to hold on to the ball? Will be interesting to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

In my opinion Vardy has already decided to leave Leicester its just Arsenal have not announced anything yet, cant see Arsenal sitting by the phone waiting on him to decide.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by it all to be honest. We're singing a striker who scored lots of goals for a team who play on the counter - a team that spend most of the game without the ball. In other words, everything we are not. Can he adapt his game to suit a team who like to hold on to the ball? Will be interesting to see.

Are we changing our game to a more direct one though? And we do tend to play counter attack away from home the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

The only thing stopping us playing counter attacking football is Giroud. We've shown that with a speedy player up front we are effective on the counter.

You'll struggle to find a better striker on the counter than Vardy.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Ah here lets not get carried away, I agree with most of what you say but regardless of how he left nobody can deny that he was a world class talent, the problem is that he was made of wet cardboard. Had he been injury free for more time then im sure we would have won stuff with him as our main striker. He practically won the title for United when he went there, thats part of why people have animosity towards him

Yeah, tonnes of ability, no denying that.

But it would be like Wilshire having a stand out season, being made captain ad pissing off.

Nearly all the time, players owe the club nothing. I think RVP owed us though.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Stillman reckons we're going to be changing playing style.

Remember; our most successful football under AW was primarily counter attacking relying on quick transitions via the guile of Pires/Bergkamp and the pace of Henry/Ljungberg.

What will be very instructive as to whether this is happening is what wide forward Wenger will sign; if its someone pacy versus someone technical. If it's the former then we're almost certainly changing style.

Exciting times to be an Arsenal fan tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So Vardy calls someone"Jap" and hes below us, but RvP allegedly rapes someone and we treated him like a god. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Vardys wages at Leicester 60k a week to Arsenals 120k a week is a no brainer :) I reckon he'l hang on till after the euros and see how he plays to decide his future ( risky move)

Wel probably have Morata or someone like that signed by the time they're over instead on waiting on a decision :)

Quazzie wrote: »
    So Vardy calls someone"Jap" and hes below us, but RvP allegedly rapes someone and we treated him like a god. :rolleyes:

I feel like that's directed at me but I don't get your point at all.

We were loyal to RVP and nurtured him or many years.

What does that have to do with Vardy?

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Vardys wages at Leicester 60k a week to Arsenals 120k a week is a no brainer :) I reckon he'l hang on till after the euros and see how he plays to decide his future ( risky move)

What's Leicester's counter offer? I imagine they could match those wages for him but if they did so they'd have to give Mahrez and Kante a similar rise (which im not sure they could afford) or they'd probably be straight out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Just after seeing this on one of the fan arsenal pages on Facebook...

That's so fake it's not even fair.
    That's a mirrored pic of Xhaka with Vardys head.
    Look at the sponsor.

• Advertisement

Confirmed as fake. Its a photoshopped and reversed photo of xhaka.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Sh*te! Have to say I'm coming round to the idea of vardy at arsenal. He'll get us goals that's for sure

I wonder can Leicester match the 120k wage as that would set a precedent for the rest of the squad to look for more and all their PL money will disappear quickly.

You'd imagine no news is good news (if you want him to be an Arsenal player)

This is how Arsenal do business after all.
    If he was staying at Leicester I'm sure they'd be more than delighted to come out and say he's going nowhere etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

CkNV9qMWUAAbEcS.jpg

Leicester to send us the lookalike instead :D any word or movement on rodriguez ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ozazaki has been quoted saying how surprised Arsenal players will be with his pace.

greendom wrote: »
    Ozazaki has been quoted saying how surprised Arsenal players will be with his pace.

I think it's his goal return in the league that will be more surprising! :)

So Vardy isn't expected to make a decision today according the sky sports news

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10305522/jamie-vardy-not-expected-to-make-decision-on-arsenal-move-on-monday-sky-sources

Have to say I'm not surprised, this kind of thing is never as straight forward as it's expected to be

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    So Vardy isn't expected to make a decision today according the sky sports news

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10305522/jamie-vardy-not-expected-to-make-decision-on-arsenal-move-on-monday-sky-sources

Have to say I'm not surprised, this kind of thing is never as straight forward as it's expected to be

I reckon a lot of the imminent decision thing is just click whoring.

Very hard to imagine that he hasn't already decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Bloody worked. I've checked my phone about a million times for news today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I think he may not sign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

He's updated his Twitter with new Leicester Jersey on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

the leicester mercury had a story yesterday that no decision is imminent

it's the biggest decision of his career to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

mansize wrote: »
    He's updated his Twitter with new Leicester Jersey on

Is that not the English jersey?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

In his profile pic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

You just get the feeling that this is done, and it's just a charade for good PR for Mr Vardy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I feel like that's directed at me but I don't get your point at all.

We were loyal to RVP and nurtured him or many years.

What does that have to do with Vardy?

Genuinely wasn't aimed at you. Or at least not intentionally. More so aimed at people who are hypocritically shunning Vardy for saying a word "some" deem to be racist, and the same people worshipped someone who was accused of raping someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

mansize wrote: »
    In his profile pic

not according to his wife

https://twitter.com/RebekahVardy/status/739922861071204353

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Quazzie wrote: »
    Genuinely wasn't aimed at you. Or at least not intentionally. More so aimed at people who are hypocritically shunning Vardy for saying a word "some" deem to be racist, and the same people worshipped someone who was accused of raping someone.

RVP was accused, but never found guilty of anything.

Are you saying he should be treated as guilty because someone made false charges against him?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement