Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

We should be selling both Walcott and Walcott the 2nd. Both incredibly disappointing players. As was mentioned, poor Joel Campbell, clearly has great desire and ability yet doesn't get a look in over lesser players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

domrush wrote: »
    Apparently Walcott is staying and has agreed with Wenger to confine his role to the right wing for the coming season.

Poor Joel Campbell, can't believe he's being ostracised once again after putting in a fantastic effort every time he's played. A genuine desire to play, have an impact and some good creativity from him this season was a real shining light for me, why Wenger places no faith in him I've no idea? He should really be looking to make a move if he doesn't want his career to languish, which is a real shame IMO.

This times a thousand. Campbell may not be the most gifted player but what he lacks in ability he more than makes up for in effort. Has always played well when called upon and ended up not even making the panel towards the end of season. Meanwhile Walcott strolls around, hiding most of the time, ducking out of tackles and seems to get endless chances to prove himself. It really is one of the most annoying things Wenger has done lately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Not selling Walcott is outrageous, complete drain on resources and keeping better more deserving players out of the picture.

Our third highest paid player :confused:

I think there's an element of pride in it at this stage, so much time has been invested and money has been invested in Walcott that the club don't know how to call it quits. I really thought he'd turned it around in September/October, both physically and mentally but now he's regressed more than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Apparently Walcott is staying and has agreed with Wenger to confine his role to the right wing for the coming season.

Poor Joel Campbell, can't believe he's being ostracised once again after putting in a fantastic effort every time he's played. A genuine desire to play, have an impact and some good creativity from him this season was a real shining light for me, why Wenger places no faith in him I've no idea? He should really be looking to make a move if he doesn't want his career to languish, which is a real shame IMO.

What's the source for this before I get worked up?

The only way I would be ok with Walcott staying at this stage is if he halved his wages and actually acted like he gave a damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Just reading there that Dani Alves is expected to leave Barca for Juve. Hopefully Bellerin resists the temptation to join Barca, though if they come looking for him it will be hard to turn down

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    What's the source for this before I get worked up?

The only way I would be ok with Walcott staying at this stage is if he halved his wages and actually acted like he gave a damn.

The Mirror and The Telegraph. Read it on Arseblog myself, mainly discussing him swallowing his pride and realising he isn't cut out for CF.

He's on 110k Sterling a week and his contract isn't due a change until 2019. Considering all his antics over wages in the past I can't see him taking any cut before his current contract runs out.

Wenger's panel decisions for a lot of the season were ridiculous in my opinion. Having both Arteta and Flamini on the bench along with Walcott just seemed crazy to me, at least Welbeck and Campbell are never anonymous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Walcott knows that him bring sold means mid-table at best and probably a drop in wages.

Not much we can do if he doesn't want to go.

He knows he's not trusted as a striker so he's trying to say the right thing. Hopefully Wenger just leaves him out altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

The Mirror and The Telegraph. Read it on Arseblog myself, mainly discussing him swallowing his pride and realising he isn't cut out for CF.

He's on 110k Sterling a week and his contract isn't due a change until 2019. Considering all his antics over wages in the past I can't see him taking any cut before his current contract runs out.

Wenger's panel decisions for a lot of the season were ridiculous in my opinion. Having both Arteta and Flamini on the bench along with Walcott just seemed crazy to me, at least Welbeck and Campbell are never anonymous

I don't either to be honest, but the biggest barrier that we have to get rid of him is clearly his wages. No club would be willing to take him on at his current wages and many would probably struggle to pay his wages even if he did half his demands. He just appears to be another Arshavin at this stage.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gosplan wrote: »
    Walcott knows that him bring sold means mid-table at best and probably a drop in wages.

Not much we can do if he doesn't want to go.

He knows he's not trusted as a striker so he's trying to say the right thing. Hopefully Wenger just leaves him out altogether.

He's surely a player Liverpool or Tottenham would take a punt on. Leicester would be an ideal move for him too, he'd surely feel he had something to prove if he went somewhere else. He'll never do it for Arsenal imo but he'd be worth a gamble for any of the other clubs vying for the top few places if they got him at a good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He's surely a player Liverpool or Tottenham would take a punt on. Leicester would be an ideal move for him too, he'd surely feel he had something to prove if he went somewhere else. He'll never do it for Arsenal imo but he'd be worth a gamble for any of the other clubs vying for the top few places if they got him at a good price.

I don't think that there is a match between a team (West Ham, Leicester) that wants him and a team that could afford him (Liverpool, Spurs). That means he is probably going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Godge wrote: »
    I don't think that there is a match between a team (West Ham, Leicester) that wants him and a team that could afford him (Liverpool, Spurs). That means he is probably going nowhere.

West Ham being given a 60,000 stadium basically for nothing should mean they can afford his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

greendom wrote: »
    West Ham being given a 60,000 stadium basically for nothing should mean they can afford his wages.
    West Ham came out saying that the money being quoted for Vardy is ridiculous so they definitely won't be going near Theo.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

With the crazy money in the PL at the moment I don't think there's any team in the top ten that couldn't afford him if they wanted him. Shaqiri is playing for Stoke sure, nothing makes sense anymore in my eyes.

Quazzie wrote: »
    West Ham came out saying that the money being quoted for Vardy is ridiculous so they definitely won't be going near Theo.

They wouldn't get near Vardy either unless they get a bye to the Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I don't pay any attention to transfers, rumours etc. does anyone know If Laporte,Godin,Hummels,De Vrij or Umtiti are available or have been linked with anyone?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Hummels signed for Bayern

Hummels signed for Bayern

Wow, that's a big move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Wow, that's a big move.

Have you been living under a rock?

Have you been living under a rock?
    I don't pay any attention to transfers, rumours etc.

I guess so.

Umtiti linked With Barca

• Advertisement

Wonder how much Southampton would want for Van Djik

Umtiti linked With Barca

Why do we never go for players like this before the bigger clubs get involved?? It's mind boggling.

Why do we never go for players like this before the bigger clubs get involved?? It's mind boggling.

This is definitely an area where Wenger has dropped the ball somewhat. You would imagine that the likes of Mahrez and Kante would have been picked up by him if they had been emerging 10 - 15 years ago

Umtiti linked With Barca

Who?

Who?

Samuel Umtiti, a "promising young" CB, I've watched him play about a dozen times last year and halve a dozen the year before and each time he impresses. After every match I watch I say why don't we sign him?

I've been babbling on about him In here for months. But alas Barca will scoop him up.

Who?

Lyon defender, scored a cracker at WHL a couple of years ago.

Keeping Walcott sucking more resources is unforgivable!
    Selling him shows Wenger made the wrong choice persisting with him year after year, and Wenger never admits he made a mistake in a transfer.

Keeping Walcott sucking more resources is unforgivable!
    Selling him shows Wenger made the wrong choice persisting with him year after year, and Wenger never admits he made a mistake in a transfer.

I don't think Walcott sticking around will be a deciding factor on who we sign. In the end, he could be put out on loan and someone else can pay a fair chunk of his wages.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I don't think Walcott sticking around will be a deciding factor on who we sign. In the end, he could be put out on loan and someone else can pay a fair chunk of his wages.

That won't happen and you know it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mahrez is not at the Euros being Algerian and all so expect that story to pick up

tancredi palmeri

"Arsenal have bid €32m (£25m) for Mahrez. Arsenal, before bidding for Mahrez, had several meeting with the player's entourage and the player is open for moving."

Palmeri is a bull****ter of the highest order.

I understand you guys being fed up with Walcott but tbh once his presence does not affect the potential of players being brought in be it Mahrez, Mikhataryan or whomever then who cares and Walcott would not be the worst sub to be able to bring on when opponents are tiring or guy to have incase you have injuries.

Him staying might mean that it may be more likely that Chamberlain could go though and he is the type of player that a West Ham type club might want and could afford wage wise.

I understand you guys being fed up with Walcott but tbh once his presence does not affect the potential of players being brought in be it Mahrez, Mikhataryan or whomever then who cares and Walcott would not be the worst sub to be able to bring on when opponents are tiring or guy to have incase you have injuries.

Him staying might mean that it may be more likely that Chamberlain could go though and he is the type of player that a West Ham type club might want and could afford wage wise.

It does though, greatly, he is making up numbers but more importantly he is costing us 110k per week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Basil3 wrote: »

Not a chance Walcott will be loaned out

Except our last two signings, Elneny and Xhaka.

Umtiti might flop hugely. The list of players people in here have complained about us NOT buying in long and varied.

I get your point but we can't assume you're correct.

It does though, greatly, he is making up numbers but more importantly he is costing us 110k per week...

Arsenal are loaded though and surely someone would be offloaded even if you couldn't find takers for the reluctant to leave Theo. Chamberlain for instance fits the bill if a RW was to be brought in but as said on the last page I doubt anyone would be surprised to see Joel Campbell also go especially as Wenger has been known to play Ramsey out wide so Campbell really would be well down the pecking order.

• Advertisement

The thing is though, it's up to him. Like we can try and sell him but would you

A: admit you're a second rate player and join a club in the hunt for a Europa spot on reduced wages

B: stay and try to prove yourself

I'm not saying he'll get any better but Wenger's probably just given him a form of ultimatum for the first time in a decade.

Except our last two signings, Elneny and Xhaka.

Umtiti might flop hugely. The list of players people in here have complained about us NOT buying in long and varied.

I get your point but we can't assume you're correct.

What are you talking about? Xhaka could flop just as much as anyone else could flop? Elneny has looked decent the few times he's played, wouldn't exactly call him a fantastic signing YET.

Anybody could flop at a club, with your logic we should but no one? 1 year 11 months ago I said we should get Umtiti, now Barca are in for him... You have to feel he has something special if they are after him?

If you get my point why are arguing it saying that you can't assume i'm right? Right about what?

What are you talking about? Xhaka could flop just as much as anyone else could flop? Elneny has looked decent the few times he's played, wouldn't exactly call him a fantastic signing YET.

Anybody could flop at a club, with your logic we should but no one? 1 year 11 months ago I said we should get Umtiti, now Barca are in for him... You have to feel he has something special if they are after him?

If you get my point why are arguing it saying that you can't assume i'm right? Right about what?

No Barca sign plenty of turkeys. And they're 'linked' with way more.

In Elneny and Xhaka, we were trying to sign upcoming talent before they're too big.

That's what you were complaining about, no?

My point about flopping is you can't just assume you're a brilliant scout and complain when the club don't do exactly what you want them to. (Though this is 90% of being a supporter these days)

No offence ment. I just think Umtiti being linked with Barca is a pretty flinsey reason to have a dig at Arsenal.

Your point being 'we should sign Umtiti'.

That may or may not be correct. We won't know for a few years.

No Barca sign plenty of turkeys. And they're 'linked' with way more.

In Elneny and Xhaka, we were trying to sign upcoming talent before they're too big.

That's what you were complaining about, no?

And we don't?

You're assuming they will be big though, yet dismissing the fact that Umtiti will be big??

What I am complaining about is letting young talented players who look very likely to be the real deal going unnoticed while the Barca's,Bayern's,Madrid's,United's,City's,Chelsea's go out on a limb and buy them.

• Advertisement

And we don't?

You're assuming they will be big though, yet dismissing the fact that Umtiti will be big??

What I am complaining about is letting young talented players who look very likely to be the real deal going unnoticed while the Barca's,Bayern's,Madrid's,United's,City's,Chelsea's go out on a limb and buy them.

I'm not assuming anyone will be big. Just your point above about young talented players is countered by Elneny and Xhaka.

My point about flopping is you can't just assume you're a brilliant scout and complain when the club don't do exactly what you want them to. (Though this is 90% of being a supporter these days)

No offence ment. I just think Umtiti being linked with Barca is a pretty flinsey reason to have a dig at Arsenal.

I am not a brilliant scout nor have I ever claimed to be one? I didn't realise suggesting possible signings in the Arsenal thread was wrong?

That is not the reason i "had a dig at Arsenal" we aren't good at signing young stars anymore, if you choose to believe otherwise that's fine but you're objectively wrong.
    Your point being 'we should sign Umtiti'.

That may or may not be correct. We won't know for a few years.

So hold on, you stated you agreed with my point which means you also think we should sign Umtiti yet now you're saying it may or may not be correct? Any chance you could be a bit clearer? I'm getting confused?

I'm not assuming anyone will be big. Just your point above about young talented players is countered by Elneny and Xhaka.

Both of them are unproven (based on your criteria) so no, no it is not.

Both of them are unproven (based on your criteria) so no, no it is not.

Relax Ken.

It goes like this

You: we never look to sign potential world class players anymore. Should have gone for Umtiti.

Me: what about Elneny and Xhaka when it comes to potential world class stuff. I get your point about Umtiti, looks good though we don't really know.

That's all.

Relax Ken.

It goes like this

You: we never look to sign potential world class players anymore. Should have gone for Umtiti.

Me: what about Elneny and Xhaka when it comes to potential world class stuff. I get your point about Umtiti, looks good though we don't really know.

That's all.

I am relaxed man? That's not quite the way it went but it's really not a big deal.

If you think Elneny and Xhaka over the course of the last how many years is us being good at signing young soon to be world class players that's fine man but we've dropped the ball in this aspect significantly in my opinion, and i'm sure many others.

I am relaxed man? That's not quite the way it went but it's really not a big deal.

If you think Elneny and Xhaka over the course of the last how many years is us being good at signing young soon to be world class players that's fine man but we've dropped the ball in this aspect significantly in my opinion, and i'm sure many others.

I'd have moe faith in Xhaka than Elneny.

We missed out on Hazard, Mata, Ronaldo etc simply because we weren't as big. I think Xhaka is us getting back on track in this regard.

I'd hope that this is the widow to make hay while the sun shines to be honest.

For this window and this window only, we're a bigger pull than Chelsea and Utd.

That won't happen and you know it!

I don't have a clue, and I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I wonder would Mata be available, not that we need a player in that position but wasn't it Jose that turfed him out of Chelsea?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

On Vardy... Most sources now reporting that he wants to concentrate on the euros and will make his decision after them... Now call me big headed, but unless he really wants to come to a big club like Arsenal, he should be told to füc right off. You don't hold a club like ours to ransom! You either want to play for us, or you don't. Simple! Not liking these developments at all. Move on now please Wenger, go grab Higuain if he's available!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I wouldn't go near mata best years are behind him

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement