Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Mata??? Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mata was brilliant for Chelsea before Mourinho. But he's just not been the same since, and considering his only possible position is taken by the best no 10 in the world...nah.

emmetlego wrote: »
    On Vardy... Most sources now reporting that he wants to concentrate on the euros and will make his decision after them... Now call me big headed, but unless he really wants to come to a big club like Arsenal, he should be told to füc right off. You don't hold a club like ours to ransom! You either want to play for us, or you don't. Simple! Not liking these developments at all. Move on now please Wenger, go grab Higuain if he's available!

But really, we don't know what the story is. Maybe it's agreed and they just don't want to announce it until after the Euros, because of the sh!t storm it might cause right ahead of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Basil3 wrote: »
    But really, we don't know what the story is. Maybe it's agreed and they just don't want to announce it until after the Euros, because of the sh!t storm it might cause right ahead of the tournament.

Normally when its agreed sources start reporting it as a done deal for a few days prior to the clubs' announcements a la Xhaka. Seems to be nothing concrete saying Vardy is actually coming. Not sure whether Leicester are stalling it but if its Vardy I'd imagine he would be looking to use a good Euros campaign as a futher bargaining chip

On Vardy... Most sources now reporting that he wants to concentrate on the euros and will make his decision after them... Now call me big headed, but unless he really wants to come to a big club like Arsenal, he should be told to füc right off. You don't hold a club like ours to ransom! You either want to play for us, or you don't. Simple! Not liking these developments at all. Move on now please Wenger, go grab Higuain if he's available!

Hear hear. He's trying to have his cake and eat it. Weeks of negotiations could be lost with other players because a guy who was with Fleetwood Town not so long ago wants all the time in the world to decide whether he wants to join one of the worlds biggest clubs or not.

With the greatest respect to Leicester I can fully understand their standpoint on this. Of course they will want to hang on to their best players and i fully respect that but Vardy is beginning to take the Michael here. Surely to god his decision should take at the most days as opposed to weeks? :mad:

Anyone hope Wenger might get Eva on board if anything just to piss off that other meglomaniac at United? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'd imagine Wenger is looking at other strikers already, I doubt his plan of action for the summer was Vardy or bust. Then again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Anyone hope Wenger might get Eva on board if anything just to fix our bleedin players? :D

FYP

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Anyone hope Wenger might get Eva on board if anything just to piss off that other meglomaniac at United? :D

I'd love him to grab Eva for the club, purely for selfish reasons mind you… And I will be keeping those thoughts to myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I'd imagine Wenger is looking at other strikers already, I doubt his plan of action for the summer was Vardy or bust. Then again...

The thing I don't get is that he was shopped around to clubs a few weeks ago by his "people", we bite and he basically gets a double your money contract to play for a big club in London. Verbally agrees to this contract and .........then decides he needs to have a think about things. Either he has signed already and wants it to look like a tough decision or he was looking for a club to show interest so Leicester would offer a bigger contract

domrush wrote: »
    Normally when its agreed sources start reporting it as a done deal for a few days prior to the clubs' announcements a la Xhaka. Seems to be nothing concrete saying Vardy is actually coming. Not sure whether Leicester are stalling it but if its Vardy I'd imagine he would be looking to use a good Euros campaign as a futher bargaining chip

But as I say, we don't know. He knows that if it's announced, he and his wife will get nothing but abuse right as the Euros start. Maybe he didn't want to deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Aubamenang to city, we should be all over him. Yet we are been played like a fiddle by Jamie f*cking vardy

I'd love him to grab Eva for the club, purely for selfish reasons mind you… And I will be keeping those thoughts to myself!

Of course... We can rule out the likes of these pics id assume :pac:

55638287ae600588a43413ffa09962074ea86f26a699f29bf55b5da18abd452c_1.jpg

MM dat ass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Jesus christ!

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Jesus christ!

Yep, i know, i know the threads gone off topic but it felt it was my duty to take our minds off the Vardy saga :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

In Vardy's defence, this news came out on Friday. He had been married 2 days, pulling away from the England camp to do so. He now is involved in an England camp preparing for an international tournament for the first time in his life while being asked if he wants to join Arsenal. An absolutely massive decision for him bearing in mind it means leaving the league Champions.

I think it's OK for him to take a step back and be allowed to think things through. No less annoying for us though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Distracted there.....so what were we talking about??!!

greendom wrote: »
    In Vardy's defence, this news came out on Friday. He had been married 2 days, pulling away from the England camp to do so. He now is involved in an England camp preparing for an international tournament for the first time in his life while being asked if he wants to join Arsenal. An absolutely massive decision for him bearing in mind it means leaving the league Champions.

I think it's OK for him to take a step back and be allowed to think things through. No less annoying for us though

Days, no problem but weeks is taking the piss. He had better be worth this wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ah Jesus I hate this "holier than thou" stuff. When people write this kind of stuff I just think of Liverpool fans....let's not be Liverpool fans please. The mans 29, he's come from the bottom of the divisions, he hasn't had a whole career earning massive money, he's got 3 or 4 years max left at the top.

• Advertisement

Ah Jesus I hate this "holier than thou" stuff. When people write this kind of stuff I just think of Liverpool fans....let's not be Liverpool fans please. The mans 29, he's come from the bottom of the divisions, he hasn't had a whole career earning massive money, he's got 3 or 4 years max left at the top.

And? No man bigger than the club. How dare you compare me to the delusional ones!

Mores the reason to be biting arm and all off. Its a fairly lucrative offer. Also we can offer Champions league football fairly regularly.. Even more than Man United, Liverpool or Spurs these days. We could lose weeks waiting for him to decide only for him to say no at the end of it and other targets are gone at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

In fairness to Vardy, he is getting one and only one big move in football to set his family up for life.

Of course he's not staying at Leicester. Then there's no big signing on fee...ever.

It's also not at all surprising that he'll use the Euro's as a bargaining chip.

I don't agree that he's playing us like a fiddle. As far as I know, he's said FA on the matter.

Of course he'll try as get the best deal possible.

I forgot how much I hated the summer on boards. Pretty much anyone we remotely like being mildly linked to another club is a reason to have a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Days, no problem but weeks is taking the piss. He had better be worth this wait.

It probably would just be a matter of days if it hadn't been for the Euros. Hogdson wants the squad fully concentrated on the tournament and not dealing with agents managers etc etc.

Had to share this vid i discovered on twitter just now. Incredible video from an incredible game way back when i was a mere twinkle in me aul mans eye :)

Koeman officially going to Everton. Another top manager gone.

Pity. Hopefully we'll have a viable candidate for Wenger to hand it over to whenever he steps down. Moshiri is backing Everton now. Wasn't he part of the Usmanov/Dein consortium?

Competent manager? Yes?

Good year at Southampton? Yes?

Not a top manager though.

I mean after 10 years he went from Valencia to AZ to Feyenoord to
    Southampton.

Koeman is like a poor man's LVG

Aubameyang going to city too according to SSN

• Advertisement

Hardly a top manager.
    What's he done that's so special?

Decent yes, but woudn't consider him anything special.

There's something called Thierry Henry: My France, My Euros on BBC One now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

gosplan wrote: »
    Competent manager? Yes?

Good year at Southampton? Yes?

Not a top manager though.

I mean after 10 years he went from Valencia to AZ to Feyenoord to
    Southampton.

Koeman is like a poor man's LVG

+1

Plus it's thought he has an issue dealing with the ego/personality of big name players.

He suited to a smaller clubs imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd love him to get injured to really screw up his delaying tactics.

Was he not over a decent young Ajax team with a young Zlatan if i recall back in 2002/03?? I suppose your only as good as the hand you have really and sometimes the hand can surprise you. Just look at Raneiri at Leicester.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'd love him to get injured to really screw up his delaying tactics.

Jeez its probably then or ever we'd sign him :eek:

:D

On koeman...at the end of the season when we finish 4th we usual and Everton finish 5th or 6th who will have had the better season...you can quote this next May :pac:

Decent manager aye...just another slipping through the net as far as I'm concerned.

On koeman...at the end of the season when we finish 4th we usual and Everton finish 5th or 6th who will have had the better season...you can quote this next May :pac:

Decent manager aye...just another slipping through the net as far as I'm concerned.

You're predicting we finish ahead of them, and using that as proof that they will have had a better season than us?

I swear to jesus this thread annoys me sometimes.

Based on what?
    I'm sorry but he's shown nothing to suggest he's good enough to manage Arsenal or get us a title.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    You're predicting we finish ahead of them, and using that as proof that they will have had a better season than us?

I swear to jesus this thread annoys me sometimes.

Did you not see this :pac: after I said that? Jesus yourself.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Based on what?
    I'm sorry but he's shown nothing to suggest he's good enough to manage Arsenal or get us a title.

What's Wenger done in the same time period? Managed one of the biggest clubs in the world to 4th place in the league every year. Maybe I'm just TOO desperate for change. We've got one signing done this window, I want to see 3 more and I want Wenger to win the title. Neither of those things will happen next year.

Oh yeah, I wonder why it's going to be weeks.....surely there's nothing else that he's going to be preoccupied with. He's just sitting around his house, pondering whether to sign for Arsenal for the next few weeks :rolleyes:

Abeumyang to City means we can basically pick from Vardy and Higuain now.

I'd totally go with Higuain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Same. Wonder if there's any truth in the Liverpool rumours though? If he went there I'd go spare!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think most would but for 60-70m I don't know if Wenger would when someone like Vardy is available for 50m less. That 50m could sign and pay for the wages of a Mahrez / Mikhataryan at the very least (probably with more than 10m to spare) on top of the Vardy signing.

Thing with Higuain though is isn't he also at an international tournament so I dunno if it'd be done faster... really don't think he would head to Liverpool though, could be proved wrong but if a CL club would stump up the money surely thatd be his destination if he moves.

• Advertisement

What's Wenger done in the same time period? Managed one of the biggest clubs in the world to 4th place in the league every year. Maybe I'm just TOO desperate for change. We've got one signing done this window, I want to see 3 more and I want Wenger to win the title. Neither of those things will happen next year.

Hate to be pedantic, we were 2nd last year, 3rd the year before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Arsenal as a club can do way better than Koeman. Decent manager and worked well at Southampton but if/when Wenger does leave Arsenal will shopping for a new manager from the top shelf.

Anything reliable on Aubameyang? Can't see him going to City, its a decent wedge and he'll most likely be second fiddle to Aguero

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mkhitaryan rejected a contract offer from Dortmund apparently, they're really getting gutted this summer by the looks of it.

I think most would but for 60-70m I don't know if Wenger would when someone like Vardy is available for 50m less. That 50m could sign and pay for the wages of a Mahrez / Mikhataryan at the very least (probably with more than 10m to spare) on top of the Vardy signing.

Thing with Higuain though is isn't he also at an international tournament so I dunno if it'd be done faster... really don't think he would head to Liverpool though, could be proved wrong but if a CL club would stump up the money surely thatd be his destination if he moves.

Despite me not really liking Vardy, an important point is that the last time h scored more than 20 goals was 5 years ago in the conference.

In the last 4 years his league goals totals have been 4,16,5,24.

Higuain is a year younger and his last five goals totals have gone 22,16,17,18,36.

I mean why exactly do we want the money?

For me it's to buy someone like Higuain.

I find it really hard to believe that playing for us, afaik the team who creates the most chances last year, he wouldn't have added 10-15 goals more.

That would bring us to 80 points which is where you start to win leagues.

Vardy is a much much bigger unknown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Despite me not really liking Vardy, an important point is that the last time h scored more than 20 goals was 5 years ago in the conference.

In the last 4 years his league goals totals have been 4,16,5,24.

Higuain is a year younger and his last five goals totals have gone 22,16,17,18,36.

I mean why exactly do we want the money?

For me it's to buy someone like Higuain.

I find it really hard to believe that playing for us, afaik the team who creates the most chances last year, he wouldn't have added 10-15 goals more.

That would bring us to 80 points which is where you start to win leagues.

Vardy is a much much bigger unknown.

Higuain is a year younger and will cost about x3 the price of Vardy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement