Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

wonga77 wrote: »
    Fair play to Leicester though it has to be said. You can say the league is poor this year or whatever,so far they have taken their chance. Most people said they would fall away after losing at the emirates but they are still up there fighting away. Win lose or draw they have a fantastic attitude and play every game as if it was their last.
    Theres a lot to be said for application, attitude and determination, something many of our squad are lacking these days

No one remembers how it was won just who won it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Wenger will come up with some excuse. We long for a change.

Didn't he say he didn't care if Spuds or Leicester win the league this week during his press conference?

Don't you worry he find a excuse, the man's arrogance is beyond belief. The difference is this summer if he stays is, that he might buy two world class players instead of one, buy a bargain buy and then a couple of youths. Then leave us still lacking a decent squad. Lose our best player to our rivals (Ozil) and not replace him, then make up excuses about how our rivals spend big money and how we can't compete. That we should be grateful to him to be in the top 4.

We are in trouble of becoming a Liverpool soon enough.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Fair play to Leicester though it has to be said. You can say the league is poor this year or whatever,so far they have taken their chance. Most people said they would fall away after losing at the emirates but they are still up there fighting away. Win lose or draw they have a fantastic attitude and play every game as if it was their last.
    Theres a lot to be said for application, attitude and determination, something many of our squad are lacking these days

But doesn't speak volumes at how badly we've fallen under Wenger too, that a club who spends nothing can win the league. Yet we still have the same problems but this time we can't cover it up with Chelsea or City's big cash.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Didn't he say he didn't care if Spuds or Leicester win the league this week during his press conference?

Missed that, link please?

Looper007 wrote: »

:rolleyes:
    “You want to do well because you want to win for yourselves and you want to feel that you’ve given absolutely everything to win after that you do not choose who else wins it.

“Sport is about the guys who deserve it win it, it’s not the identity that’s important here what’s important if you give absolutely your best to be on top of everybody else.”

I know Wenger says a lot of weird things, but c'mon....no point trying to twist his words into something they're not.

Edit: If you want me to explain for you, I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Haven't read the thread since the match.

My one regret is that Coq didn't get sent off for properly lifting Kane out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Well, pride slightly restored. But still a sense of what might have been. Leicester's to lose at this stage. I hope we play like we're out of it. Pressure off means better performances.

****in hell it doesn't get any better. ****in disgraceful, it really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just looking at MOTD tonight.
    Ramsey played them on side for the first goal.
    Mert was a clown for the second. What was he doing? He's the most timid giant i ever saw.

• Advertisement

It's hilarious though, locals seem to be fairly happy with today overall. Must have already written the title off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

It's hilarious though, locals seem to be fairly happy with today overall. Must have already written the title off.

Yeah the draw today has all but ended our title challenge, with Leicester winning also. We would have to win all our remaining matches to stand a chance and that's not going to happen.

We are now in real danger of finishing outside the top 4 with Man city, West Ham and Man Utd right behind us now. What a depressing couple of weeks, season fell apart in typical Arsenal style. This is the most down I've felt about the club in quite some time.

I now realise that Wenger just doesn't cut it anymore and he essentially doesn't have to answer to anyone. Kroenke is a joke of an owner, as long as he owns the club this will continue. He doesn't give two ****s about the playing side of Arsenal, only how much money the club brings in and that it's an asset for his other businesses.

This summer what will the transfer strategy be? Last summer really ****ed us up, we now have to make wholesale changes in a transfer market that will only be overinflated due to the new tv money. Average players will be going for stupid money. I also get the feeling that Ozil and Sanchez will possibly be looking elsewhere in the summer, can't really blame them (Ozil) especially as he is literally a wasted talent in this side. Deserves better players around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Yeah the draw today has all but ended our title challenge, with Leicester winning also. We would have to win all our remaining matches to stand a chance and that's not going to happen.

We are now in real danger of finishing outside the top 4 with Man city, West Ham and Man Utd right behind us now. What a depressing couple of weeks, season fell apart in typical Arsenal style. This is the most down I've felt about the club in quite some time.

I now realise that Wenger just doesn't cut it anymore and he essentially doesn't have to answer to anyone. Kroenke is a joke of an owner, as long as he owns the club this will continue. He doesn't give two ****s about the playing side of Arsenal, only how much money the club brings in and that it's an asset for his other businesses.

This summer what will the transfer strategy be? Last summer really ****ed us up, we now have to make wholesale changes in a transfer market that will only be overinflated due to the new tv money. Average players will be going for stupid money. I also get the feeling that Ozil and Sanchez will possibly be looking elsewhere in the summer, can't really blame them (Ozil) especially as he is literally a wasted talent in this side. Deserves better players around him.

Özil won 1 league and a few super cups with one of the best teams in Europe around him, not sure where all this he deserves this and that comes from? If he wants to go let him go and any other player that feels the same.

I said it at the time and was shouted down and told about "cohesion" and how the team who finished 3rd last year had an extra, secret gear they would kick into this year. We went ahead and signed a single ****ing player in a position that no-one saw as a priority.

I was wrong about Chelsea though. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I'll be missing the game unfortunately. Have a stag party that's starting from 10am till like 5am.

Hopefully if we win i'll catch some of it on MOTD.

Missed the match but caught MOTD. Happy with the draw.

Still powering on here... Only puked twice! Come on McGregor!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Missed the match but caught MOTD. Happy with the draw.

Still powering on here... Only puked twice! Come on McGregor!!

We'll ****...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

My 6 year old asked me who the bad guys were in the Newcastle Bornmouth game that's on MOTD right now. I explained in my fatherly way that there aren't really any bad guys in sport.

She said...

'What about Chelsea. They're the bad guys. And they've the same name as Barbie's friend'

I'm not confidant but I'd actually be more confidant after yesterday despite being 2 further points behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

What do people think of Jogi Low? I know he has mainly been an international manager with a wealth of top players at his disposal, but think he would probably be the most realistic target we could get for next season? His lack of club experience would worry me and he doesnt have a good track record a club level either.

Jogi-Low.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm not confidant but I'd actually be more confidant after yesterday despite being 2 further points behind.

Well, if Ramsey and Alexis have found their scoring boots, then we'll be up there. If not, then we'll struggle for fourth I think.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Well, if Ramsey and Alexis have found their scoring boots, then we'll be up there. If not, then we'll struggle for fourth I think.

I think the formation he happened on yesterday offers more protection, gets the best out of Rambo while not exposing his weaknesses as much and gets the best out of Welbeck and his pace as a wide forward rather than a central finisher.

It clicked for the first time in months yesterday.

Then Sanchez seems to be finding form again.

I think we'll be better in the run in and I think Leicester will drop 8 points.

I just don't think we'll be THAT much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd rather Wenger than Vieira.

In fact my list goes

Simeone
    Koeman
    Wenger
    Claude
    Vieira.

Quazzie wrote: »

In fact my list goes

Simeone
    Koeman
    Wenger
    Claude
    Vieira.

Agreed. Vieira would be a horrible appointment. Mine would be at the moment.

1. Simeone
    2. Loew
    3. De Beor
    4. Bilic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Id take Hiddink if he is replaced at the end of season....even if it was only for a season. It was our best chance to take the league with the so called top teams all in transition and not doing well. I bet Fergie is fuming he not around today talk about easy pickings.

Wenger is like the sweet old grandpa now....I bet team talks go something like this:-

"Its not the winning or losing that matters, boys. Its the taking part that counts! Now who is for another Wurthers Original Sweetie"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I think the formation he happened on yesterday offers more protection, gets the best out of Rambo while not exposing his weaknesses as much and gets the best out of Welbeck and his pace as a wide forward rather than a central finisher.

It clicked for the first time in months yesterday.

Then Sanchez seems to be finding form again.

I think we'll be better in the run in and I think Leicester will drop 8 points.

I just don't think we'll be THAT much better.

We need to fight to the end and try and finish as high up the table as possible or just keep 4th place. Just keep fighting, one game at a time and the next one is the FA cup replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ozil needs to give an ultimatum to Wenger at the end if this season: Buy somebody who is capable and decisive to convert my plays or I'm going to submit a transfer request...ala Vibrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I said it at the time and was shouted down and told about "cohesion" and how the team who finished 3rd last year had an extra, secret gear they would kick into this year. We went ahead and signed a single ****ing player in a position that no-one saw as a priority.

I was wrong about Chelsea though. :pac:

Don't forget we were told our injury woes were sorted cause we brought in some German and we didn't need to buy anybody:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Don't forget we were told our injury woes were sorted cause we brought in some German and we didn't need to buy anybody:)

Wenger has a problem buying..... It's a hang up, an issue IMO, but he just cannot do it. Until we get past that we are going to struggle with a lack of talent. The only way past that is for him to go.

Ah of course, the new medical team. Of course the current form is down to them, they kept players fit who then got tired because they're aren't used to playing so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Ozil needs to give an ultimatum to Wenger at the end if this season: Buy somebody who is capable and decisive to convert my plays or I'm going to submit a transfer request...ala Vibrant.

Last thing we need is some primadonna players

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Last thing we need is some primadonna players

Last thing we need is players accepting mediocrity which is what we already have.

That exact conversation has been happening annually since the days of Vieira and Wenger doesn't change.

He's American

Last thing we need is players accepting mediocrity which is what we already have.

You mean the squad or performances?

Our squad is far from mediocre, but agree the performances have been.

If only they had the same relentless, never-say-die attitude as you on a sarcastic post spree :p

Basil3 wrote: »
    You mean the squad or performances?

Our squad is far from mediocre, but agree the performances have been.

If only they had the same relentless, never-say-die attitude as you on a sarcastic post spree :p

As with a couple of years ago I have to question the overall quality of our squad. We still haven't got a good enough striker. Our saviour at DM can only play well with a specific player beside him. At CB Mertesacker probably ain't good enough but we still need him, says a lot. One injury and we have bloody Gabriel in to try his best to **** up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Aside from his woeful play for kanes goal I think Mertesacker was our best player yesterday. Made some quality interceptions and tackles.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Aside from his woeful play for kanes goal I think Mertesacker was our best player yesterday. Made some quality interceptions and tackles.

Overall he's on the decline but he makes some amount of big interceptions. The difference when he's not on the pitch is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Quazzie wrote: »

In fact my list goes

Simeone
    Koeman
    Wenger
    Claude
    Vieira.

Would Ranieri make your list?

:confused::confused::eek:

• Advertisement

newbie2 wrote: »
    Would Ranieri make your list?

To be honest. No. He is having an excellent season at Leicester obviously, but this season is the exception and certainly not the rule when it comes Ranieri. He is a very competent manager, and his man management skills could benefit us, but overall as a package he is lacking.

The phrase "one swallow does not a summer make" comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Can't see the board going from doing nothing at all to Arsene being effectively sacked.

As for possible replacements I'd have loved Klopp but now he's gone it would be Simone.

Not a fan of ex-players coming back. Potentially a lot of baggage.

Thinking about it, How's Frank DeBoer and DB10 going at Ajax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Just for sh1ts and giggles

Ccy5PWtW4AAKw9G.jpg

:confused::confused::eek:

Just cause we actually did something in adversity on the pitch.

So Nancy Reagan pays the price for Rambo's goal? Not as high profile as his usual victims.

Just cause we actually did something in adversity on the pitch.

Well now we are reliant on other teams.
    I will live in hope but that's about it as I don't expect us to finish on top.
    We have to go to Everton, West Ham, Sunderland and Man City, all teams fighting for something. None of them easy. Plenty of adversity ahead i'd say.

I wouldn't put your money on us even at 100/1 never mind my own. We blew it again.

Well now we are reliant on other teams.
    I will live in hope but that's about it as I don't expect us to finish on top.
    We have to go to Everton, West Ham, Sunderland and Man City, all teams fighting for something. None of them easy. Plenty of adversity ahead i'd say.

I wouldn't put your money on us even at 100/1 never mind my own. We blew it again.

I agree.

I agree.

3rd place for us i'd say.

Let's not forget that City have a game in hand, and would also be above us if they win it.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Vieira would be a horrible appointment. Mine would be at the moment.

1. Simeone
    2. Loew
    3. De Beor
    4. Bilic

If Vieira was willing to be assistant to the new manager and over time take over then I think that be a better choice, although I don't think you see Vieira back at Arsenal he's been groomed for the Man City job one day.

I like the list you made, I love to have Simeone but I can't see him ever leaving A. Madrid unless he's pushed. Whats Loew record like with Clubs though, a big step compared to international football. De Boer would be fine but the Dutch league isn't the greatest. Bilic I think would be a great choice, with a lot more money and a better overall squad he could do the job.

I go all out for Simeone but would he take the step down to us plus I think he's very loyal to A. Madrid. Then Bilic for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement