Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Part of me wants to just go asleep for two months.
    Transfer season takes years off me with the stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I still think he's coming to be honest , IF he was staying why not announce it straight off the bat and they have bid 20 mil for Deeney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

omega man wrote: »
    Reckon Ozil would relish the thought compared to Giroud week in week out.

Imagine if Ozil, Sanchez, Wilshere, Cazorla et al had a proper world class finisher in front of them.
    My word, we would ****ing stroll to the title.
    That's what makes our dillydally pussyfooting (not this window, but in general speak) all the more frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Imagine if Ozil, Sanchez, Wilshere, Cazorla et al had a proper world class finisher in front of them.
    That's what makes our dillydally pussyfooting (not this window, but in general speak) all the more frustrating.

Absolutely it is so frustrating that the final piece is not there. It has to be first priority to get a top shelf finisher. Feckin compete and land a big fish! I want Higuain......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Like who? Wenger ain't going to outbid other teams to get Morata or Higuain. That's my gut feeling.

Vardy is also proven premiership, smashing records along the way to winning the league title at a club who should have been battling relegation again.

Not sure why he's not getting the love here compared to other top strikers. I get the off field stuff to some extent but not the footballing ability.

Yeah but two weeks ago none of us would have said that Wenger would ever go for Vardy either!

For me, the only (slight) reservation I have about Vardy is that he has only shown it for one season in what was a very strange season. At the same time its only £30 million so why not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Like who? Wenger ain't going to outbid other teams to get Morata or Higuain. That's my gut feeling.

Vardy is also proven premiership, smashing records along the way to winning the league title at a club who should have been battling relegation again.

Not sure why he's not getting the love here compared to other top strikers. I get the off field stuff to some extent but not the footballing ability.

Part of my reasoning is I straight up done like him as a player

And I think they could be a touch of the Michael Ricketts about him

But I do think we're signing him and I hope I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

And this is the problem, we are super rich, we can compete with any club for any player financially, sporting wise though players may not choose us.

But Kirby said it a couple of days back too many are brainwashed that we don't have resources, we have fcukin loads of money buckets of it.

Vardy is a cheap option and that's why we are in for him, hoping he might bang in a few, he's another Welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Soups123 wrote: »
    And this is the problem, we are super rich, we can compete with any club for any player financially, sporting wise though players may not choose us.

But Kirby said it a couple of days back too many are brainwashed that we don't have resources, we have fcukin loads of money buckets of it.

Vardy is a cheap option and that's why we are in for him, hoping he might bang in a few, he's another Welbeck

Don't think there's any comparison between this transfer and the Welbeck one. Welbeck was an emergency buy after Giroud got injured, Vardy is our attempt at getting the striker that'll win us the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

it'll be interesting if he doesn't sign - which if he doesn't do before the england game, i don't he will - vardy the #1 striking target, who'll be 2nd or 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Don't think there's any comparison between this transfer and the Welbeck one. Welbeck was an emergency buy after Giroud got injured, Vardy is our attempt at getting the striker that'll win us the league.

I meant ability wise rather than the situation. Price is playing a huge part here, if he had no release clause I doubt we'd be anywhere near this deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I really don't think this would be the panacea people are suspecting. Of course improvements to the squad should always be sought but don't forget the favourites for the Euros are starting with the same striker who sits in front of those players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

greendom wrote: »
    I really don't think this would be the panacea people are suspecting. Of course improvements to the squad should always be sought but don't forget the favourites for the Euros are starting with the same striker who sits in front of those players.

Let's see how it goes for the tournament. A big problem for us is that our build up is so slow and we end up entrenched on the oppositions 18 yard box for most of the match and find it really hard to get through.

A lot of people seem to blame Giroud for that but if you look at his most recent goals for France he seems to be one of the few people in the box when he scores which at the very least says to me that if you deliver the ball in to him quickly he can score.

I still find that one of the more frustrating aspects of our play though, our inability to break quickly and get the ball into the box. It seems that everytime we do break by the time we actually put the ball into the box all of the opposition have already managed to get back into position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Are we penny-pinching again lads?

While I wouldn't mind having Vardy in our side I would prefer a striker who has done the business consistently for a few seasons. Looks like we should have gone all guns blazing for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and beat City for his signiture. I have been reading up on the 26 year old and he looks the business.

Now that would be some statement of intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Aubameyang signing would be a major sign of intent, not only to the opposition but also to the fans and prove to them that the club are serious about moving forward and competing at the top.

However not only would we have to break our transfer record, we'd have to absolutely smash it as i dont think he's going anywhere for less than 70-80 odd million. And as we all know, thats not how Arsenal roll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

imagine ye could have signed suarez a few years ago if ye didnt go in with that pathetic bid. He would have won ye the league as well

Thinking about it, what a team Dortmund are for finding and developing talent. They seem to be able to rebuild their squad with loads of talent every few years before being cleaned out. Maybe we should stick in a bid for their scouting team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I still don't see how the bid was 'pathetic'. Pure spin from the Liverpool PR team. I wonder what we bid for Vardy? Probably just over the release clause again, because that's how release clauses work. Liverpool were never selling Suarez to Arsenal because the owner had no interest in selling to an English team and was even willing to take the risk of being taken to court by not acknowledging the release clause in his contract. You can blame Arsenal for many transfers but in the Suarez case you just can't legislate for the Liverpool owner essentially acting illegally.

Delighted to see them finish 8th, wouldn't be surprised if potential transfer targets and their agents look at Liverpool slightly differently now knowing they may not see out the terms of a contract.

AdamD wrote: »
    I still don't see how the bid was 'pathetic'. Pure spin from the Liverpool PR team. I wonder what we bid for Vardy? Probably just over the release clause again, because that's how release clauses work. Liverpool were never selling Suarez to Arsenal because the owner had no interest in selling to an English team and was even willing to take the risk of being taken to court by not acknowledging the release clause in his contract. You can blame Arsenal for many transfers but in the Suarez case you just can't legislate for the Liverpool owner essentially acting illegally.

Delighted to see them finish 8th, wouldn't be surprised if potential transfer targets and their agents look at Liverpool slightly differently now knowing they may not see out the terms of a contract.

Exactly - either there was a release clause and Liverpool acted illegally or there wasn't and Arsenal were misled. Pathetic doesn't come into it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The thing about Aubameyang is that he is still young enough to have a decent sell on value. So the £60m outlay isn't really the issue. Even if we got £30m in 4 years time, it would still be a bargain - especially as he's proven talent.

So whats stopping them from making a bid? Wages? If Arsenal thought that bringing in a world class player would disrupt the wage structure then they are defeated before they begin.

There are loads of successful teams that have key players on bigger wages than other talented players and they seem to be able to gel fine. The ket compoent is that you are seen as a winning team - both domestically and in Europe.

Bring in the key players now - spend thje money and start winning things. it gets easier from that point on.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/23446686

arsenal bid 40m and £1. it was a joke of a bid. He was worth much much more. should have just bid 45-50m and signed the player. no chance pool were going to sell after an embarassing bid

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/23446686

arsenal bid 40m and £1. it was a joke of a bid. He was worth much much more. should have just bid 45-50m and signed the player. no chance pool were going to sell after an embarassing bid

A release clause is a release clause - that's how they work - once they are met they are triggered. This one wasn't for reasons stated above. Absolutely pointless to bid any more

A release clause is a release clause - that's how they work - once they are met they are triggered. This one wasn't for reasons stated above. Absolutely pointless to bid any more

its not championship manager they are playing, they are business men doing the deal. £1 over 40m was an insult. why not pay £41m. he was world class and was a steal at that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

its not championship manager they are playing, they are business men doing the deal. £1 over 40m was an insult. why not pay £41m. he was world class and was a steal at that price
    You'd be an awful businessman.

"Sure why not just throw in another million quid, for the craic like"

You'd be an awful businessman.

"Sure why not just throw in another million quid, for the craic like"

prize money alone in the premier league is 100m before gate receipts are even taken into account.

Arsenal fans have been getting ripped off for years with ticket prices.

£1m extra would have made no difference to ye. 1 pound was a joke.

prize money alone in the premier league is 100m before gate receipts are even taken into account.

Arsenal fans have been getting ripped off for years with ticket prices.

£1m extra would have made no difference to ye. 1 pound was a joke.

you're right it would have made no difference because Liverpool weren't selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Not for 40M they weren't

suarez wanted to go, Gerrard even told him not to go as he was better than that going to arsenal. If arsenal bid 45-50m and suarez wanted out it would have been very hard to keep him. 40m plus 1 pound liverpool said no chance and dug the heels in

They were either selling for 40m as legally obliged, or they weren't. 41m would have made **** all difference. They feigned insult to win the PR battle whilst dishonouring his contract.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ah come on lads. Don't respond to this sort of thing.

• Advertisement

65m+ and we would have had friction, offering 40m and 1 pound was a joke, everyone who isn't an Arsenal fan believes so.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ah come on lads. Don't feed the very obvious troll.

hardly trolling. im good friends with Arsenal supporters and they were disguisted with the 40m and 1pound offer.

People who think offering £1 over a release clause is insulting aren't the people in charge of £40m deals.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

hardly trolling. im good friends with Arsenal supporters and they were disguisted with the 40m and 1pound offer.

Apologies. Went too far there, but this discussion has been done to death a million times. I've edited the post to better get across what I meant.

People who think offering £1 over a release clause is insulting aren't the people in charge of £40m deals.

Anyone thinking someone the quality of Suarez was going to be bought for 40m is crazy, regardless of release clauses.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Apologies. Went too far there, but this discussion has been done to death a million times. I've edited the post to better get across what I meant.

im a United supporter, all im saying was and many agree, Suarez wanted to move to Arsenal at the time. ye had 150m or whatever in the bank to spend on players, no debt, ye could have made a big statement, broke the british transfer record, signed suarez for £55m, he would have probably guaranteed ye the last 2 or 3 league titles and ye would have got further in europe and no one would ever have known about any release clause.

• Advertisement

Anyone thinking someone the quality of Suarez was going to be bought for 40m is crazy, regardless of release clauses.

Huh? A release clause in a contract is legally binding. Either Liverpool chanced their arm and risked being taken to court or one didn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

im a United supporter, all im saying was and many agree, Suarez wanted to move to Arsenal at the time. ye had 150m or whatever in the bank to spend on players, no debt, ye could have made a big statement, broke the british transfer record, signed suarez for £55m, he would have probably guaranteed ye the last 2 or 3 league titles and ye would have got further in europe and no one would ever have known about any release clause.

Why would you bid 15 million more than a release clause? You'd want to be an idiot to bid more than mandatory to activate a release clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Is this type of outdated discussion not better off in the Liverpool thread?

Huh? A release clause in a contract is legally binding. Either Liverpool chanced their arm and risked being taken to court or one didn't exist.

The release clause doesn't mean you automatically get that player, it means the club must accept the offer and allow the player to speak to the other club. If we offered 50-70 mill I guarantee you a deal would have been made.

Why would you bid 15 million more than a release clause? You'd want to be an idiot to bid more than mandatory to activate a release clause.

here is what John Henry said at the time...

"Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world," Henry is reported to have said. "He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals, offered £40m plus £1. What we've found … is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football. "It doesn't matter how long a player's contract is, he can decide he's leaving. We sold a player, Fernando Torres, for £50m, that we did not want to sell, we were forced to.
    "Since apparently these contracts don't seem to hold, we took the position that we're just not selling."

He basically said we didnt want to sell Torres as well but the moeny offered we had to. If Arsenal came in with a british transfer record would have been hard for liverpool to refuse

• Advertisement

During the summer transfer window, the PFA reported that the contractual provision in Suarez’s contract with Liverpool was a ‘good faith’ release clause rather than an automatic release clause. The two are quite different. With an automatic release clause, player ‘y’ must be allowed to speak to purchasing club ‘x’ if the minimum release amount is offered. A ‘good faith’ clause means the parties are required to negotiate in good faith once a bid has been made. Importantly, a good faith clause does not automatically trigger the selling club to accept the offer.

The PFA were reported to have been arbitrating between the player and the club, and explaining to the player the likelihood of the clause standing up to a robust legal examination. As such, it was considered by the PFA that the clause was not an automatic release clause.

I agree it's been done to death so i will stop with the Suarez stuff now, but I thought the bid was ridiculous and even after the bid was rejected we should have offered more.

The release clause doesn't mean you automatically get that player, it means the club must accept the offer and allow the player to speak to the other club. If we offered 50-70 mill I guarantee you a deal would have been made.

That's a possibility but it depends on the release clause and the conditions around it. It seems the Arsenal legal team assumed it was a straight-forward release clause without such conditions, or they would have bid highe.

I would have loved to have bought Suarez at any price, if we had him that season we would have strolled to victory.

Regardless of the amount of money that he was worth at the time, Arsenal believed that he had a £40 million release clause, hence the £40 million and 1 offer. Once Liverpool said no, It wasn't Arsenal that needed to sue, but rather Suarez. For various reasons, he choose not to.

The facts haven't changed since, and aren't going to. We've all had this discussion at the time, and numerous times since. I just want to move on, to what I hope is a much better transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If the player had a release clause of £40M, why would Arsenal bid more? Bidding £40M +£1, or £65M makes no difference because at either Liverpool were obliged to sell. So at either bid they must accept the offer, with obviously the higher figure leaving them feeling better about it.

Quazzie wrote: »
    If the player had a release clause of £40M, why would Arsenal bid more? Bidding £40M +£1, or £65M makes no difference because at either Liverpool were obliged to sell. So at either bid they must accept the offer, with obviously the higher figure leaving them feeling better about it.

That's complete BS that's why. They were never obliged to sell.

Apparently (according to Ray Parlour) there was a medical and photo shoot booked for Vardy.

I'd say he's not coming now and we should be looking elsewhere.

That's complete BS that's why. They were never obliged to sell.

yes Arsenal were misled.

Quazzie wrote: »

I dont think they were obliged to sell, Bidding over the 40 million only allowed us to make an offer and talk to the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Here's some baseless speculation.

Sky Sports are saying that Watford have made a bid for Berahino. Does that make him a Deeney replacement, and thus Deeney is a Vardy replacement for Leicester? Just can't see the sense in us agreeing to wait ages for Vardy unless we already know he's coming but Leicester need to get their ducks in order first.

Here's some baseless speculation.

Sky Sports are saying that Watford have made a bid for Berahino. Does that make him a Deeney replacement, and thus Deeney is a Vardy replacement for Leicester? Just can't see the sense in us agreeing to wait ages for Vardy unless we already know he's coming but Leicester need to get their ducks in order first.

I'd say Leicester are looking to improve/strengthen their squad for next season, especially with Champions League football so Deeney wouldn't necessarily be a replacement for Vardy - I hope he is though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement