Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Theres a certain Irony if Vardy declines the move to Arsenal on the basis he would have too much competition for a regular start & then Leicester go & sign 2 new strikers to reinforce the squad for a half dozen games in the CL giving Vardy the same situation & for less financial reward.

If he stays with Leicester he's showing a lack of ambition or confidence in his ability to sustain the form he showed last season IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

According to Corriere de la sport Arsenal have bid 60million€ for Higuain but have been told it's not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Suarez clause apparently existed & FSG just ignored it confident the player wouldn't action it legally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

greendom wrote: »
    According to Corriere de la sport Arsenal have bid 60million€ for Higuain but have been told it's not enough.

That's big money, I'd imagine napoli are holding out for around 80 million though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I can't believe that two years on that Arsenal and Wenger still get criticised for triggering what they believed was a release clause of £40m. Why would they offer more than was allegedly needed. What is the point of a release clause that allows you to talk to the player, but still allows the selling club to reject it? Sounds stupid, seeing how clubs tap up players all the time and Arsenal were obviously talking to him before they put in the bid.

Next we'll have people banging on about the time we didn't get Higuain again! Great times! I can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

greendom wrote: »
    Next we'll have people banging on about the time we didn't get Higuain again! Great times! I can't wait!

24mgqxu.jpg

Oh woe is me :(:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

DvB wrote: »
    If he stays with Leicester he's showing a lack of ambition or confidence in his ability to sustain the form he showed last season IMO.

Or it could be down to loyalty, rare enough these days but not out of the question either

wonga77 wrote: »
    Or it could be down to loyalty, rare enough these days but not out of the question either

Didn't show much of that at Halifax or Fleetwood ! (or Stockbridge Park Steels)

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »

Without sounding like Lineker its hardly a lack of ambition for him if he leaves the current league champions. Granted it remains to be seen whether Leicester can keep it going. Fair deuce to him if he does stay and best of luck to him but im a bit meh about it now tbh. if he comes to Arsenal then welcome but if he doesn't then we should move on immediately. Fair enough signing Vardy but he isnt worth a hot pursuit where we are losing time and possibly options. Time to move on here I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Regarding the Suarez bid I have never in my lifetime seen a club bid 1 pound on top of the release sum. It was a nonsensical bid.
    Had we had bid half a million more it would have looked a lot better and not have made the transfer bid the butt of jokes within the football world. It could not have been a serious bid to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Without sounding like Lineker its hardly a lack of ambition for him if he leaves the current league champions. Granted it remains to be seen whether Leicester can keep it going. Fair deuce to him if he does stay and best of luck to him but im a bit meh about it now tbh. if he comes to Arsenal then welcome but if he doesn't then we should move on immediately. Fair enough signing Vardy but he isnt worth a hot pursuit where we are losing time and possibly options. Time to move on here I think.

Agree fully with this. I'd say the club should at least have plan b in full swing. But I'm not hopeful!

Also, meant to add that the club have officially released Flamini today, he's the last current player to have played at Highbury! Confirmed that Tomas and Mikel also gone! Hardly breaking news, but just made official today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Regarding the Suarez bid I have never in my lifetime seen a club bid 1 pound on top of the release sum. It was a nonsensical bid.
    Had we had bid half a million more it would have looked a lot better and not have made the transfer bid the butt of jokes within the football world. It could not have been a serious bid to begin with.

But this means nothing, when release clauses are met do you know what the clause is and what sum was offered? Do you know the sum exact sum from any transfer? Most deals we only have a vague idea of what the fee is, we rarely ever know the exact fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Giroud'll be smackin them in in about half an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Giroud'll be smackin them in in about half an hour.

Either that, or he'll be getting booed for not being as good at blackmailing as their other striker.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Either that, or he'll be getting booed for not being as good at blackmailing as their other striker.

We shouldn't rule out going on strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

But this means nothing, when release clauses are met do you know what the clause is and what sum was offered? Do you know the sum exact sum from any transfer? Most deals we only have a vague idea of what the fee is, we rarely ever know the exact fee.

We know there's never a single pound at the end of any of them.

We know there's never a single pound at the end of any of them.

Well, not really. Liverpool announced that to make a show of the club and to belittle the offer. You just hear on the news that Club X has met the release clause value of player Y at club Z… You don't hear the fine details at all. I was lead to believe from an interview by an agent about it that this is in fact common practice. I'm clueless as to where/when that interview was mind you.

But then again, I don't really give a toss about what happened a couple of years ago, he would not be with us at this stage anyway, and probably would have bitten an ear/limb off somebody to force the move!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I reckoning is the Vardy deal is done. They are concerned that selling Vardy opens the door to the others and want to show a signing of intent first. There's are gentlemans agreement in place for all to sit quiet for now

Vardy will m get confirmed straight after Euro's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

What a joke Giroud is. HOW is he playing in the french team?

Boom de fcukin boom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Well done Giroud, shove the boos back their throats

You say something?

Well done Giroud, shove the boos back their throats
    still crap

still crap

In fairness, he's not crap. He's very good, just not good enough as the main striker for a team who wants to win the BPL or the CL.

He missed 3 ok chances before he scored that, but it was a good goal to his credit too. That epitomises OG though. He could easily end up golden boot with Pogba and Payet whipping balls at him. Let's face it, Romania are pretty poor!

emmetlego wrote: »
    In fairness, he's not crap. He's very good, just not good enough as the main striker for a team who wants to win the BPL or the CL

Neither was Vardy this time last year but things change

Soups123 wrote: »
    Neither was Vardy this time last year but things change

Thanks for that. I'm enlightened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Giroud was pretty good for France tonight. Prob the 2nd best player on the pitch after Payet.

Any chance of getting Payet from Weat Ham! 😀😀

emmetlego wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'm enlightened.

Come back tomorrow for more

• Advertisement

Fair play to Giroud. He misses chances but he never goes missing. Great character!

Great article by Tim on Arseblog today about Arsene and strikers...

http://arseblog.com/2016/06/gotta-fight-right-vardy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

We really missed the boat when it came to signing Payet and Mahrez. You'd have to think that Arsene in his prime would have snapped them up before anyone else.

So we dont need a Striker anymore? lol Giroud is not that good!

Oh for **** sake.

Can't you at least support him when there's no fear of being slagged by your mates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Pathetic. I take a stance of not 'supporting' an English team per se so from a neutral you appear to be an absolutely terrible fan. Giroud, an Arsenal player scores in an important international match for his nation and all you want to do is tear him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'm amazed you can spout this crap without being embarrassed. A ten year old would come up with more thoughtful posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I used to think you were a 'glass half-empty' kind of guy.

Now I think you might be the fourth personality type.

Far-Side.gif

I thought Giroud played well. Was unlucky to be called offside at one stage, and really should have buried one of his other header chances. Decent overall, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Basil3 wrote: »
    I thought Giroud played well. Was unlucky to be called offside at one stage, and really should have buried one of his other header chances. Decent overall, though.

Coulda had two or three, got himself in some good spots. The quality of service he gets from France is much better than at Arsenal crossing wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Fair play to Giroud for grabbing an important goal for France last night. Just like the many important goals he's scored for Arsenal. I still want a striker signed ahead of him though and have done for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Just on the vardy thing for a minute

If he does turn us down.....Where does this leave us as a proposition for other players coming to us , If a 29 year Leicester City striker turns us down. Does this make us less attractive to other possible players coming in, I don't know I think it's going to paint us in an awfully negative light if he doesn't sign now (i still think he will mind)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Just on the vardy thing for a minute

If he does turn us down.....Where does this leave us as a proposition for other players coming to us , If a 29 year Leicester City striker turns us down. Does this make us less attractive to other possible players coming in, I don't know I think it's going to paint us in an awfully negative light if he doesn't sign now (i still think he will mind)

I doubt anyone will care. I don't think a player who Arsenal are after ever asks himself the question "what did Jamie Vardy do?" and is influenced by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

taught koscielny played well against Romania , we just need another top class CB to pair with him ......

and obviously a good striker ha ha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Can't wait to see Xhaka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Can't wait to see Xhaka

Wasn't planning on watching this match at all but I've never seen him play so want a good look at him

Coventry done it with Lee Hughes back in 01 iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I'm liking what I've ben seeing from him thus far! Never wanders into the final third leaving gaps behind him. Great in little duels. Always looking for the ball. He does a lot of over-the-top balls which are accurate but usually get intercepted by a defender.

Rodrigues has also looked good for what it's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The Dragon Reborn

Can't wait to see Xhaka

Hes a player you wont notice, but get man of the match

Ramsey must think he is part of that Romanian squad of 1998 :D

P-b8457bbf-bc1c-4a29-a8dc-2d2b5d8a7042.jpg
    romania_3427811k.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement