Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, the article linked only says that it had to be triggered, which it was. There's another article that says the deal had to be done before that date.

I think that the deal is either done, but not announced, or it won't happen at all.
    Those 90min articles are nonsense I wouldn't pay them any mind.

However I do have a feeling we won't be signing Vardy, I feel like if it was gonna be done it would have been done a couple of weeks ago. Hoping I'm wrong obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Who knows? He might have been telling the truth, or it could be another:
    "I don't know Cazorla."

He generally says "no" to any rumours. The "on what I know" might be accurate or might just be a dig at the press, if he knows he's coming. You just never know. He even did his supposed tell - the "Ozil smile" - when he was asked about Benzema + Draxler in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sanchez smashed it last night, Chile beat Mexico 7-0.

Only got the 1, but looking at the goals, he was instrumental in nearly all of them. What a man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

On the Benzema thing, I read somewhere that he was definitely coming, but Wenger pulled the plug when he heard about the scandal and the bribery, to be honest, that does make sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

emmetlego wrote: »
    On the Benzema thing, I read somewhere that he was definitely coming, but Wenger pulled the plug when he heard about the scandal and the bribery, to be honest, that does make sense!

Any idea where you saw that?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Any idea where you saw that?

I can't remember, I've spent the last 30 minutes trawling through Google looking for it! Maybe I just dreamed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭HarryStuby

Vardy deal dead in the water by all accounts, not overly disappointed. Go out and pay the money for higuan, guaranteed 30 plus goals a season in that arsenal side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

HarryStuby wrote: »
    Vardy deal dead in the water by all accounts, not overly disappointed. Go out and pay the money for higuan, guaranteed 30 plus goals a season in that arsenal side

Who knows what "the money" is? If we could get him for £60m, sure, I think we should, but who says we can? Who says he even wants to play for us?

• Advertisement

Who knows what "the money" is? If we could get him for £60m, sure, I think we should, but who says we can? Who says he even wants to play for us?

Anything around the 60 million mark is well worth it in my opinion and I think it's within our price range. I think coming from Napoli to arsenal is a definite step up especially to play with the likes of Sanchez and ozil

Anything around the 60 million mark is well worth it in my opinion and I think it's within our price range. I think coming from Napoli to arsenal is a definite step up especially to play with the likes of Sanchez and ozil

Unfortunately he has to think what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I agree.

But what if they want £100m? £120m? £60m is a number I plucked out of the sky, I've no idea what he'd cost this year and nor do most people.

It's not as simple as saying just pay whatever the price is, that's a long term losing strategy.

Ornstein has spoken

@bbcsport_david: Vardy set to reject Arsenal & stay at Leicester. No final decision yet but favouring #LCFC. #AFC won't improve offer, pursuing other options

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/744542067326599168

I agree.

But what if they want £100m? £120m? £60m is a number I plucked out of the sky, I've no idea what he'd cost this year and nor do most people.

It's not as simple as saying just pay whatever the price is, that's a long term losing strategy.

If they want 100 mil then he won't be bought simple as that, I think 60-65 mil in this crazy market is definitely worth it, I can't see Napoli getting anything more than that from anyone given he is 28. Hopefully Walcott moved on for 20 mil to balance the books a bit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Hamsik is at Ozil and Sanchez's level,

Saying that I agree that Arsenal is a step up

Just not a massive one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Ornstein has spoken

@bbcsport_david: Vardy set to reject Arsenal & stay at Leicester. No final decision yet but favouring #LCFC. #AFC won't improve offer, pursuing other options

Time to move on. But where to? :confused: We're not going to spend on Higuain, Morata deal would be too complicated. Perhaps take a punt on Batshuayi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ornstein has spoken

Wow. I'd say this little move earned him a ****load of extra cash on his new deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Time to move on. But where to? :confused: We're not going to spend on Higuain, Morata deal would be too complicated. Perhaps take a punt on Batshuayi?

Higuain or bust!!!

Jeez we have gone back to 2013...All over twitter that were in for Jovetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Xhaka up against Özil in the last 16? :D

• Advertisement

Jeez we have gone back to 2013...All over twitter that were in for Jovetic.

I think you need to change who you follow on Twitter. Not anywhere in my feed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Disappointed about Vardy. Finding a top rate striker is going to be tough.

greendom wrote: »
    Disappointed about Vardy. Finding a top rate one is going to be tough.

I do wonder how the Leicester fans would feel if he was essentially doing a Rooney. He has had plenty of interviews where he can say that he's happy staying at Leicester, but he declines to comment, from what I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Ornstein has spoken

F*ck vardy, this deal always felt iffy for the start, club can't be blamed if the player they bid for lacks ambition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Move on.
    Plenty more fish in the sea.

Xhaka up against Özil in the last 16? :D

Pretty sure i read before today's game that Xhaka had made the most passes in the tournament.

And Rambo the most tackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

wawaman wrote: »
    F*ck vardy, this deal always felt iffy for the start, club can't be blamed if the player they bid for lacks ambition

To be fair I would've said he was never the right player for us from the start unless he was going to change his style of play or we were going to change ours. We don't need to change the way we play just get better personnel who can implement our game plans properly.

Aubameyang Higuain or Icardi please. Three players who would be a proper upgrade on what we have

I think you need to change who you follow on Twitter. Not anywhere in my feed :pac:

I came across one account reporting it so done a search and there was quite a few sources reporting that its between ourselves and a Russian outfit for him.. ill take with a grain of salt for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Xhaka is looking immense :) always wants and makes space for a pass . Think the PL is going to suit him in every way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Part of me actually admires Vardy if the stories are true and he is staying at Leicester. He is apparently turning down more money and the chance to play for a top tier club (no offence meant to Leicester). He has chosen loyalty, admittedly for more pocket change than before but still it's a rare occurrence.

It's going to be interesting to see if Kante and Mahrez stick around now. I think Kante is definitely gone but Mahrez might stay now too.

• Advertisement

Move on.
    Plenty more fish in the sea.

lots of tiddlers who you'd normally throw back if you caught them. Is our net strong enough to catch a biggun?

https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/744648241703174144

Xhaka greeting his new Arsenal team mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/744648241703174144

Xhaka greeting his new Arsenal team mate

haha the look on his face when Giroud turned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Everything I see about Xhaka, I like!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

mansize wrote: »

Yeah I've been paying particular attention to Xhaka in his three games. Obviously it's only a small sample but he has barely given away the ball in the three games. It's not just sideways or backwards either, he plays quite a few good forward passes and can hit an accurate long pass too. One thing for sure is that he won't go hiding in games anyway. I think he will transition seamlessly into the Arsenal side. Really promising signing from what I've seen (admittedly only 3 games) so far.

Can't wait till next season. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

mansize wrote: »

Me too although Neil Lennon only thinks 'he alright. A bit like Charie Adam'! He's turning into Eamonn Dunphy.

This day 21 years ago, we signed a certain Mr Dennis Bergkamp. God is far too concise a word to describe him!

sonic85 wrote: »
    To be fair I would've said he was never the right player for us from the start unless he was going to change his style of play or we were going to change ours. We don't need to change the way we play just get better personnel who can implement our game plans properly.

Aubameyang Higuain or Icardi please. Three players who would be a proper upgrade on what we have

Icardi is the last player we need

Have a look at what he did in his past

Really a unlikable guy

• Advertisement

This day 21 years ago, we signed a certain Mr Dennis Bergkamp. God is far too concise a word to describe him!

What I would give for a Bergkamp now..you just couldn't clone him...he was too good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Icardi is the last player we need

Have a look at what he did in his past

Really a unlikable guy

Yep I know what he did - he's a bit of a c**t but Vardy isn't all sweetness and light either and people for the most part are delighted with him being linked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Yep I know what he did - he's a bit of a c**t but Vardy isn't all sweetness and light either and people for the most part are delighted with him being linked.

What did he do?

I don't think most were too unhappy to hear that he's staying either. Yes, he'd be a great foil for Giroud, and would push him for the starting spot, but I think the general feeling about him now, is it's his loss!

There are far better than him out there, and we have the money to go get them. What this whole thing has done is showed that Wenger wants a striker, and it's a priority. Now that, I am happy about, and I'd say most are like that too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I don't think most were too unhappy to hear that he's staying either. Yes, he'd be a great foil for Giroud, and would push him for the starting spot, but I think the general feeling about him now, is it's his loss!

There are far better than him out there, and we have the money to go get them. What this whole thing has done is showed that Wenger wants a striker, and it's a priority. Now that, I am happy about, and I'd say most are like that too!

It also shows that Wenger is after the cheapest possible solution and that there'll be no smashing the piggy bank open to get the player we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Giroud > Icardi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Quazzie wrote: »
    It also shows that Wenger is after the cheapest possible solution and that there'll be no smashing the piggy bank open to get the player we need.

As pessimistic as it sounds, I think this is spot on.
    We're simply not that type of club.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Giroud > Icardi.

Its easy to big up the cool players abroad though.

Icardi has been called out by Maradonna of all people about his lack of class

That says a lot about the lad tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Its easy to big up the cool players abroad though.

Icardi has been called out by Maradonna of all people about his lack of class

That says a lot about the lad tbh

Maradona says lots of things, most of them bull****. Diego Costa has a lack of class, I'd sign him in an instant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

At some point we have to buy a good striker on the rise. We ain't getting a world class striker, only Bayern, Barcelona and Madrid can sign those. Our best option is a striker who's already good but has the potential to be world class. So somebody who is around Giroud's level but with far greater potential (ie. with more athleticism than a snail) is what we'll be looking at.

AdamD wrote: »
    At some point we have to buy a good striker on the rise. We ain't getting a world class striker, only Bayern, Barcelona and Madrid can sign those. Our best option is a striker who's already good but has the potential to be world class. So somebody who is around Giroud's level but with far greater potential (ie. with more athleticism than a snail) is what we'll be looking at.

Think you're confusing athleticism with pace. He's a very physical presence and defenders have to be very strong to keep him at bay.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement