Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

As far as cup competitions go, I enjoy the WC and Euros when they come around - but give me Champions League over both of them anyday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Vardy signs new contract with Leicester

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Thats the end of that so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

He'll regret that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

just in yep, vardy agrees new contract. so who will Arsenal now pursue?

• Advertisement

5star02707 wrote: »
    just in yep, vardy agrees new contract. so who will Arsenal now pursue?

For starters anyone that doesnt have a deep hatred for the south of england by the looks of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

He would have improved us a little, and certainly offered us something we don't already have, a massive upgrade on Walcott (who has to be shown the door), and I won't hide the fact that I'm a little disappointed we won't be signing him.

That said, the neutral in me is happy he's sticking with them, I don't want this Leicester team to be quickly dismantled and just go away, I want us to get ahead of them by us improving and not by them being weakened. Lets just hope now all our eggs weren't in the Vardy basket and we still sign a top class striker for £30M+. Sadly, by now (long, long before now) we should all know not to expect anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Good news IMO, i'd be sad to see leicester lose all their best players and finish 12th. Also, Vardy is hardly a world class proven striker that will lead us to a title. He had 1 good season in the PL, if he can do what he did last year this year then you'd imagine his stock will rise. I'd much rather someone who has been consistently world class for a number of years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

To be honest, its dragged on for so long that there obviously wasn't a deep desire to join us, so maybe this news is the best outcome for all. Lets just hope if Leicester end up mid table, he doesn't mind the odd song when we meet :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I imagine the reason it wasn't announced until now was that he and/or his agent were hoping that Arsenal would raise their offer again.

When Arsene said that it looked like he was staying at Leicester, they realised that wasn't going to happen.

Call me vindictive but I really hope they get relegated !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Leicester are such a freakshow, it's hard to be confidant it would translate to another club.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I wouldn't sign any of their players but not the 29 year old striker with one good season playing one way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Part of me has a lot of respect for Vardy for sticking with Leicester, whatever way you look at it, it cant have been easy to turn down a move to Arsenal and any form of loyalty is rare enough these days

We have to buy a striker though and that's good.

Like we actually have to. It will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

My fear now is that if Vardy was first choice then who is second and third choice? No way we are spending 50/60m on a striker so where does this leave us? Not many better than him for £20m.

My fear now is that if Vardy was first choice then who is second and third choice? No way we are spending 50/60m on a striker so where does this leave us? Not many better than him for £20m.

I don't think Wenger views first choice the same way you or I do.

He probably viewed him as 'best value' at £20m.

He will pay more for the right player.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Troy Deeney is available possibly!

/leaves quickly :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Does it show that we have a small club mentality or a small budget?

Troy Deeney is available possibly!

/leaves quickly :pac:

And don't come back

I reckon it'll be between Higuain and Slimani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

gosplan wrote: »
    I reckon it'll be between Higuain and Slimani.

This Slimani lad most certainly isn't an upgrade on Giroud, nor does he have the advantage of youth over him as he's only a year or so younger than him

• Advertisement

Don't know why people think Vardy will regret anything!
    He's loyal to his club who won the league and didn't look to move for more money!
    Fair play to him

Don't know why people think Vardy will regret anything!
    He's loyal to his club who won the league and didn't look to move for more money!
    Fair play to him

He's not really an example of loyalty.

What he did was sign a contract a year ago, then get his agents shopping him out around the Premier League since May so he could negotiate a better contract for himself.

Fair play to him though, wish I could double my wages so easily :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Basil3 wrote: »

What he did was sign a contract a year ago, then get his agents shopping him out around the Premier League since May so he could negotiate a better contract for himself.

Completely agree, what he has also done, is open the flood gates for Kante, Mahrez etc to do the same, Leicesters wage bill is going to increase significantly in the next few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Seems you can't win in the world of football, you're with a small club you have a successful season and you leave them for more money and fame so you're a prick who only cares about money. You stay with your club despite the temptation from larger more successful clubs where you will no doubt make more money and you're still a prick. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Seems you can't win in the world of football, you're with a small club you have a successful season and you leave them for more money and fame so you're a prick who only cares about money. You stay with your club despite the temptation from larger more successful clubs where you will no doubt make more money and you're still a prick. Ridiculous.

I don't think he's a prick at all, but he certainly is not as loyal as people would like to make out. Like its possible he had no intention of considering a move and just wanted to squeeze more money out of Leicester.

Vardys Agent or someone close to him also would have had to tell us about the buyout clause, so they tell us and other clubs, someone comes in with an offer, he gets a bumper new deal and comes out looking like a hero. Its pretty brilliant

Who's calling him a prick? :confused:

Regardless, the way the whole thing was handled, fans of one team were going to be annoyed. It's clear that Vardy and his agents were playing clubs against each other to get more money for himself....which I guess is kinda prickish :D

He could have come out early on in proceedings and publicly said that he loves being at Leicester, and he wants to honour the contract he signed last year. Don't think anyone would have had any problem with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's all about perspective, Ken. He's made himself a hero in Leicester, but from an Arsenal perspective he used the club to get a better deal. Fair play to him, but that makes him a bit of a prick in my (Arsenal red) eyes.

He helped his side win the league.
    Anyone that thinks he would be happy to stay on 60k a week is deluded like Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Or maybe he just didn't want to move to arsenal!

Might have a better shot at the champions league with Leicester anyway :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

He helped his side win the league.
    Anyone that thinks he would be happy to stay on 60k a week is deluded like Wenger.

Arsenal were only offering £60k? I'd doubt that very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

L'prof wrote: »
    Arsenal were only offering £60k? I'd doubt that very much

I don't.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    This Slimani lad most certainly isn't an upgrade on Giroud, nor does he have the advantage of youth over him as he's only a year or so younger than him

Perhaps but there aren't many strikers we can get with a decent scoring record.

I'd prefer Higuain but it's a very very small pool you're looking at for our Giroud upgrade. And we're really talking about a potential Giroud upgrade. I don't expect anyone to be overwhelmed by the striker we buy tbh.

There's Janssen as well.

Can't really think of anyone else though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I don't.

Love the username

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

It was widely reported we offered a 3 year deal at 120k per week, Leicester offered 4 years at 100k per week. This was spoken about by several trust worthy media outlets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So is the trail gone cold now ? or are we in talks with anyone else

• Advertisement

So is the trail gone cold now ? or are we in talks with anyone else

Arsenal normally keep things very quiet, Vardy was only "outed" just as he was about to sign... Wait and see, and ignore the tabloids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

emmetlego wrote: »
    Arsenal normally keep things very quiet, Vardy was only "outed" just as he was about to sign... Wait and see, and ignore the tabloids!

Kept things very, very quiet last summer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Basil3 wrote: »

But then it could have been the agent doing all the pushing to line his own pockets also ! The more money vardy makes the more he makes and well that could have been a part of it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Quite disheartened that Wenger still thinks that value for money is still a possibility when shopping for strikers. Reeks of the same old ****e of the past few years to be honest. It's not your money, you're gone next year, just buy any player you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

According to L'Equipe, West Ham have made a €52m offer for Lacazette. Don't even know what to say about that.

• Advertisement

According to L'Equipe, West Ham have made a €52m offer for Lacazette. Don't even know what to say about that.

I'd call it ambition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

It's a joke we're not in for the likes of him.

50 million on a guy who actually can't get a game ahead of Giroud.

Why would we do that?

gosplan wrote: »
    50 million on a guy who actually can't get a game ahead of Giroud.

Why would we do that?

Not exactly setting the French league alight. Is he a striker or a winger?

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    It's a joke we're not in for the likes of him.

Why?

L'prof wrote: »
    Not exactly setting the French league alight. Is he a striker or a winger?
    emmetlego wrote: »
    Why?

21 league goals last year, 27 the year before. Almost 5 years younger than Giroud, plays an entirely different type of game to Giroud. Don't see why we shouldn't be in for him.

domrush wrote: »
    21 league goals last year, 27 the year before. Almost 5 years younger than Giroud, plays an entirely different type of game to Giroud. Don't see why we shouldn't be in for him.

Giroud scored 21 league goals in the same league 5 years ago

domrush wrote: »

Underneath that though, judgement on him isn't as strong as it could be.

Is he even in the French squad?

Should we base everything on 20+ goals in any European league?

Seems to me that there's 2 types of striker we can go for.

1: Already better than Giroud. Hugely expensive, no retail value, should see immediate effects. The only 2 I can think of are Higuain & Abum.

2: potentially better than Giroud. Young with perhaps a higher ceiling. People like Martial and Janssen. Not quite so expensive but will take a year or 2 to be what we want them to.

I don't think this guy is either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

We better buy only uk players!

mansize wrote: »
    We better buy only uk players!

Good job English players aren't turning us down so!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement