Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Liverpool look set to sign Sadio Mane for £30+ million.
    Am i wrong in thinking this is insane money? Or is this just the money you'd expect to pay for this type of player these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Am i wrong in thinking this is insane money? Or is this just the money you'd expect to pay for this type of player these days.

No. It is crazy. Paying for his PL experience though I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think the Giroud/Sanchez/Ozil combo is all wrong.

Giroud needs two wingers that stay wide and an AMF that charges into the box for layoffs, like Grizemann yesterday in the second half or Wilshire for us at times.

Drogba gave the blueprint. 2 wide players and lampard coming in late and smashing it home

Mourinho would turn Giroud into a fcuking hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

DeclanRe wrote: »

BBC says £34-36m. Right in the Sanchez bracket, hilarious :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

gosplan wrote: »
    Mourinho would turn Giroud into a fcuking assh*le

Fixed that there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

BBC says £34-36m. Right in the Sanchez bracket, hilarious :D

Sanchez was bought for a steal because he wanted out, before the megabucks came into the PL. Not comparable situations.

Pter wrote: »
    Sanchez was bought for a steal because he wanted out, before the megabucks came into the PL. Not comparable situations.
    Shush with your logic and let me laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Anyone know anything about Gabriel Barbosa -Gabigol!

Strictly in the unsubstantiated rumour section atm but apparently we have made a bid for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

L'prof wrote: »
    No. It is crazy. Paying for his PL experience though I'm afraid.

Liverpool are paying cos that's what he costs and Klopp wants him, he's had his eye on his since 2013/14 as did LFC transfer committee but Rodgers said no, Soton pounced for 12m. Such is life.

greendom wrote: »

Strictly in the unsubstantiated rumour section atm but apparently we have made a bid for him

Snap, just read something about him there! Only 19 and seems to have a good scoring record so far. Scored a couple for the senior team already, I think he's going to the Olympics too? Might see what he's about there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I bought him in football manager for Arsenal and he turned out great. Not sure that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I bought him in football manager for Arsenal and he turned out great. Not sure that helps

:pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Probably as useful an insight as anything any of us can offer on the lad tbh.

Does it for me!!

In truth, impossible to know how he'd turn out but a striker who's been playing for Santos since 19 and has Brazilian caps before his 20th birthday is exactly the type of player we should be looking for.

I mean Jesus Wenger, take a chance on someone will you.

I'd sign someone like him AND Higuain myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hes 19 and has already scored 54 goals for his club. Pretty impressive.

Hes also a sure thing on FM so..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Anyway, for what it's worth. I've seen enough of Morata to say "thanks, but f**k off, no thanks". He is at present, no where near a WC striker.

I sincerely hope we really are not chasing him. Giroud is far better than him at present in my opinion.

Poor old England. Too many Spurs duffers was never going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Loved watching MOTD. They roasted the English players.

Some tasty games in the quarters.

We are using Giroud as a lone striker and that is not how he excels.

100% agreed. Giroud would be fantastic in a 4-4-2.

Can't see Arsene changing things up though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭djan

Just to go back to the point on giroud working better with a partner up front, I'd have to definitely agree with that. I remember when Podolski was still at arsenal they played 2 up a few times and it worked fantastically well, although usually when behind and chasing a game but definitely saw it had potential.

It does make sense since giroud is one of the best at lay offs while his finishing can be literally hit and miss. Would be nice to go into a 4-1-2-1-2 or a variation of it. Sanchez has the stamina to play in that formation and Ramsey/Campbell on the other side likewise.

Think wenger is too stubborn for that though. Sure look at the wallcot over Campbell fiasco at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I see Edin Dzeko looks to be on the market again although I think he's about 30 now

Andip wrote: »
    I see in Edin Dzeko looks to be on the market again although I think he's about 30 now

Please god no... we haven't done anything to deserve that :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

100% agreed. Giroud would be fantastic in a 4-4-2.

Can't see Arsene changing things up though.

Would tend to agree.

See how much the game changed on Sunday when they put Griezmann up beside him; if you could find a nippy predatory forward to buzz around off him that'd be interesting. Maybe even Sanchez.

cson wrote: »
    Would tend to agree.

See how much the game changed on Sunday when they put Griezmann up beside him; if you could find a nippy predatory forward to buzz around off him that'd be interesting. Maybe even Sanchez.

There was a good point made on arseblog the other day that I never thought about regarding Sanchez positional disclipine.

He basically charges towards the ball whenever he sees it but being a good centre forward is about knowing when to up and when to make runs. Sacnhez will always drop too deep for the ball just to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

I dont see how it doesnt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Being linked heavily again with a Brazilian kid who has had his release clause triggered (40 mill pounds). 19 year old with big scoring record for Santos. Gabigol is the name I think!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Being linked heavily again with a Brazilian kid who has had his release clause triggered (40 mill pounds). 19 year old with big scoring record for Santos. Gabigol is the name I think!

I wonder does he want a month or two to think about it like Vardy? :rolleyes:

Andip wrote: »
    I see Edin Dzeko looks to be on the market again although I think he's about 30 now

Ah stop!
    Bendtner 2.0.

Ah stop!
    Bendtner 2.0.

Ah hardly! I wouldn't take him now, but there was a time I would have.

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »

I don't really believe it but I'd love it.

Even if he's at the lower end of the overhyped young Brazilian one-named strikers (Pato) compared to the upper end (original Ronaldo), he'd be a useful addition.

It just seems a bit 'not us' to be true.

On the plus side, Wenger is on record recently saying you have to go to South America for striking talent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Santos's president on how he doesn't want to sell Gabriel Barbosa (Gabigol) dubbed the new Neymar
    unless someone pays the release clause. We are open to talk, to negotiate. The career of a player isn’t only based on money.”

Barbosa is believed to have a £41.6million release clause in his contract.

according to ESPN Brasil Arsenal have tabled an official offer as they look to bring him to the Premier League.

Barbosa scored 21 goals (when he was 18) last year and another 21 the year before that (when he was 17) and is so far on target to get at least that amount again this year (probably more though as he would be expected to start several more games and is improving) and has 10 so far.

He already has 4 caps and 2 goals for Brazil's full international side which should make getting him a work permit easier for any side that tries to sign him.

A side in China have already made a firm offer for him also but he does not seemingly have an interest in heading to asia especially not seeing as a number of top European sides have apparently shown interest.

It's a lot of money but it also could turn out to be a bargain (similar price to what Utd look to be paying for MIkhytarian) considering how crazy the market is these days and the fact that he could be the next wonderkid turned superstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Hopefully it won't turn out as complicated as Neymars transfer with 3rd party owners and whatnot. I hope they do take the gamble and pull it off, but I can't see it happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Id love to see Gabigol at The Arsenal

Ive only watched him a handful of times

But he looks a super talent

I dont know If id say hes the new Neymar

Similar but seems more a striker than him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

aren't we in for Mkhitaryan? seems like he's united bound and Batshuayi to Chelsea. I really hope we get a proven striker / goal scorer

5star02707 wrote: »
    aren't we in for Mkhitaryan? seems like he's united bound and Batshuayi to Chelsea. I really hope we get a proven striker / goal scorer

Can't see Batshuayi fitting in with us at all.

Regardless of slight differences in height and pace, Batshuayi, Benzema, lukaku etc all just the wrong style of player.

Can't see Batshuayi fitting in with us at all.

Regardless of slight differences in height and pace, Batshuayi, Benzema, lukaku etc all just the wrong style of player.

Benzema is nothing like the other two there! His technique is outstanding, pretty much perfect for what we want.

I'd just rather someone with real pace and the ability to beat his man and finish.

I'd just rather someone with real pace and the ability to beat his man and finish.

Oh to dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

5star02707 wrote: »

Meet... Takuma Asano!

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/06/29/soccer/j-league/asano-gets-offer-from-arsenal/#.V3QF-5N96Tc

No idea either... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

The Japanese teams wiki page has Asano down as an Arsenal player weirdly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_national_football_team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

The Japanese teams wiki page has Asano down as an Arsenal player weirdly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_national_football_team

Edited by some random IP in Chile 3 hours ago... you're really going to believe that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Edited by some random IP in Chile 3 hours ago... you're really going to believe that?

Yes in fact I've already ordered an Arsenal jersey with Asano on the back...

Do you really think I believe that? It's just strange, I've never even heard of this lad before today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Yes in fact I've already ordered an Arsenal jersey with Asano on the back...

Do you really think I believe that? It's just strange, I've never even heard of this lad before today.

It's not that strange really. Any time any player is linked with any big club some random kid goes in and makes bogus wikipedia edits hoping to fool someone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I wish the silly season would f*ck off.

Dailymail links... I thought they were banned? :pac:

I wish the silly season would f*ck off.

I stuck with the thread through all the endless circular regime change repetition throughout the season...but makey up transfer rumours? Nope. Can't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jemser

The summer seems to be taking a familiar disastrous path
    Starts off excellent,sign Xhaka(Czech) fans get excited,things will be different this year.
    Become embroiled in a transfer saga(Suarez,higuian),loose out and look stupid
    Wenger off dropping names and we’re linked with endless players.
    Preseason creeps upon us and still no more signings.
    Time goes by and still no more players.
    Make some ridiculous last minute offers on deadline day but ultimately fail.
    Fans crack up again,Wenger says there was no value in the market and he’s happy with the squad.
    God I hope I’m wrong

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

jemser wrote: »
    The summer seems to be taking a familiar disastrous path
    Starts off excellent,sign Xhaka(Czech) fans get excited,things will be different this year.
    Become embroiled in a transfer saga(Suarez,higuian),loose out and look stupid
    Wenger off dropping names and we’re linked with endless players.
    Preseason creeps upon us and still no more signings.
    Time goes by and still no more players.
    Make some ridiculous last minute offers on deadline day but ultimately fail.
    Fans crack up again,Wenger says there was no value in the market and he’s happy with the squad.
    God I hope I’m wrong

I understand why you feel that... been here before deja vu and all that... but so far all that has happened is the first part (Xhaka) and unless you consider the Vardy thing a saga all that has happened otherwise is you've been linked to a few players like Higuain (has officially stated he wants out of Napoli now) and Barbosa.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement