Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

With better players around him he would be. Walcott and Chamberlain were disgraceful last year

With a combined 2300mins (that's almost 26 full league games between them) they can't be blamed for his drop in form?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

With better players around him he would be. Walcott and Chamberlain were disgraceful last year

Stop that talk!

Giroud is sh*t and we must never forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

He has Mesut fecking Ozil providing him with chances-a-plenty!

He has Mesut fecking Ozil providing him with chances-a-plenty!

True. Still think the job up front that he does on his own against two centre halves is very very underrated.

True. Still think the job up front that he does on his own against two centre halves is very very underrated.

Personally, I love his work rate and job he does. I just don't think he scores enough to lead the line on his own. I'd love to see him as part of a front 2 but I can't see Wenger reverting to that now.

L'prof wrote: »
    Personally, I love his work rate and job he does. I just don't think he scores enough to lead the line on his own. I'd love to see him as part of a front 2 but I can't see Wenger reverting to that now.

Is there a hint that he may have considered this option with Vardy?

Is there a hint that he may have considered this option with Vardy?

Maybe in a handful of games max I'd say. Other than that it'd be either/or or Vardy out on the wing! I'd love to know how much Wenger really wanted Vardy. Didn't seem too disappointed that he extended his contract at Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Way to stick it to his doubters. He has a brilliant attitude considering the unnecessary stick he gets. Needs better ball at Arsenal too. He suffered because the likes of Walcott and Chamberlain were piss poor

Honestly mate. He blows too hot and cold. We need an alternative to him up front. Somebody with some real quality. Giroud is a good player, but mostly for 50 or 60 percent of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

As mentioned previously, France's fastpaced game clearly suits him more than our slow build up around the box. While Ozil can pick out some beautiful passes, the quality of crossing in the team is fairly woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I wonder how Iceland would do in the Premier League? I've always wanted to see a crossover of club and country, or throw Celtic in the PL for a year and see how they get on :pac:

• Advertisement

domrush wrote: »
    As mentioned previously, France's fastpaced game clearly suits him more than our slow build up around the box. While Ozil can pick out some beautiful passes, the quality of crossing in the team is fairly woeful.

Nail......on......head. Take a bow my son.

Ozil aside, I can't think of another player that would give him a direct pass like matuidi did last night

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Honestly mate. He blows too hot and cold. We need an alternative to him up front. Somebody with some real quality. Giroud is a good player, but mostly for 50 or 60 percent of the season.

Fair enough he's no higuain but I'd definitely keep him as a squad player

Nail......on......head. Take a bow my son.

Ozil aside, I can't think of another player that would give him a direct pass like matuidi did last night

So hold on, Centre forward is no longer the problem, and what we need is more creative players?? What am I missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

So hold on, Centre forward is no longer the problem, and what we need is to be more creative players?? What am I missing?

No not at all.

I think people are saying we could get a lot more out of Giroud if we had a different style that would suit him better or, preferably, a top class centre forward, like Griezmann that would play off him in some formation where we had two up front e.g. 4-4-2

The likelihood of either is slim though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

farna_boy wrote: »
    No not at all.

I think people are saying we could get a lot more out of Giroud if we had a different style that would suit him better or, preferably, a top class centre forward, like Griezmann that would play off him in some formation where we had two up front e.g. 4-4-2

Yeah you know what I knew that's what he meant I just have this impulse to start arguments :pac:

So hold on, Centre forward is no longer the problem, and what we need is to be more creative players?? What am I missing?

What he said below

No not at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not even sure I buy that. I think we'd get a lot more out of him if we played against Ireland or Iceland every week.

AdamD wrote: »
    Not even sure I buy that. I think we'd get a lot more out of him if we played against Ireland or Iceland every week.

Bit unfair now. he has scored in some big games for us the last four years. Europe last year against Bayern Munich, hattrick in that do-or-die game v Olympiakos. He's definately worth his place on our squad.

Yes his finishing can be erratic at times and he isnt quick enough to get into the box but lets not be hasty and get rid of him. Get a good striker in by all means but keep Giroud as backup because he'll get us goals especially off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Bit unfair now. he has scored in some big games for us the last four years. Europe last year against Bayern Munich, hattrick in that do-or-die game v Olympiakos. He's definately worth his place on our squad.

Yes his finishing can be erratic at times and he isnt quick enough to get into the box but lets not be hasty and get rid of him. Get a good striker in by all means but keep Giroud as backup because he'll get us goals especially off the bench

Pretty fair assessment of Giroud, he'd be an excellent backup option to have and I doubt there'd be a better second option at many clubs.

And from what I recall when he was used as a sub before, he caused problems when he came on. He's a big guy and would be a nice option to have against a tiring defence if required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

He's never scored more than 16 goals in premier league season for us which is not enough to win a premiership. He's 30 in September so he's not going to improve and he's had 4 seasons to prove himself a couole of them with ozil behind him he's just not good enough for us I'm afraid.

He's never scored more than 16 goals in premier league season for us which is not enough to win a premiership. He's 30 in September so he's not going to improve and he's had 4 seasons to prove himself a couole of them with ozil behind him he's just not good enough for us I'm afraid.

That's the cold hard truth isn't it?

I do really like the guy despite previously hating him and I would love to have him as second choice, but we need a number 1.

That's the cold hard truth isn't it?

I do really like the guy despite previously hating him and I would love to have him as second choice, but we need a number 1.

I've grown fond of the guy aswell he tries his heart out hed be perfect in a 2 man attack but Wenger chooses one up front so it's hard to know where his place is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

so it's hard to know where his place is

Back at Montpellier would suit him nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm delighted that 4 of our players are still involved in the Euros and lighting it up. The EPL is starting in a little over a month though and I'm pretty worried that this will lead to a slow start to the league campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Looking at the Euros, which strikers would you take to replace Giroud?

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Looking at the Euros, which strikers would you take to replace Giroud?

Off the top of my head its hard to think he has prob been the best striker at the Euros!haha

Off the top of my head its hard to think he has prob been the best striker at the Euros!haha

Yep, nobody. But you can take plenty of snapshots from last season and say that he was the best striker in the premier league too. Thing is, if one of the other top players was lighting up the Euros we'd all be saying that he wouldn't leave his club/wouldn't come to Arsenal/Arsenal wouldn't stump up the transfer fee/Arsenal wouldn't pay his wages/etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Any interest in any of our players I wonder? I read somewhere a few weeks back that Southampton were interested in Ox but thats about it, will we be forced to look at Walcott again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

It must be very frustrating for Giroud. Tried hard all the time, scores pretty frequently, yet still just a bit behind the main world class "game-winning" strikers.
    Gets booed by home supporters because hes not Benzema, turns it around so he gets a major applause but still wont be considered great.

greendom wrote: »
    I'm delighted that 4 of our players are still involved in the Euros and lighting it up. The EPL is starting in a little over a month though and I'm pretty worried that this will lead to a slow start to the league campaign.

Getting the excuses in early :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Does anyone know if any of our players are playing in the Olympics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Does anyone know if any of our players are playing in the Olympics?

The new Japanese bloke Asano will be anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭HarryStuby

Mourinho aiming digs at wenger 10 minutes into his first press conference. He really is a pathetic individual. Nothing would give me more pleasure than for Mourinho and United to perform a guard of honour when we meet at the Emirates in April

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

HarryStuby wrote: »
    Mourinho aiming digs at wenger 10 minutes into his first press conference. He really is a pathetic individual. Nothing would give me more pleasure than for Mourinho and United to perform a guard of honour when we meet at the Emirates in April

The man is obsessed, embarrassing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

He didn't. He said few managers haven't won title in last 10 years, 15 years and some never. Media some how turned it into dig at wenger and people are falling for it.

Oh no, don't tell me all the United fans are going to act like Mourinho is a saint now.

Oh no, don't tell me all the United fans are going to act like Mourinho is a saint now.

Who said he is? in this case he didn't take shot at anyone and that was clear for anyone who watched the press conference and heard the questions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Who said he is? in this case he didn't take shot at anyone and that was clear for anyone who watched the press conference and heard the questions too.

I watched the press conference, and i thought it was a shot at Wenger. He has previous, so that's why i interpreted his words that way. But if i was a Utd fan, i'd be defending him too

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭HarryStuby

It's clear who he is having a dig at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

On Giroud, I believe the way Arsenal play doesn't suit him. He spends a lot of time with his back to goal or in a crowded box. He is far better suited to a counter attacking game or a game where crosses are put into the box and he rarely gets that at Arsenal. I think if you put him in the Chelsea team of 14/15 he scores as many as Costa did.

• Advertisement

He didn't. He said few managers haven't won title in last 10 years, 15 years and some never. Media some how turned it into dig at wenger and people are falling for it.

Seems the BBC left out the 15 years part just to add to the drama?
    "There are some managers who haven't won titles for 10 years. Some of them never. The last time I won was a year ago."

He is obsessed, though. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

He is the only one who is prepared to put his head in where it hurts

eagle eye wrote: »
    On Giroud, I believe the way Arsenal play doesn't suit him. He spends a lot of time with his back to goal or in a crowded box. He is far better suited to a counter attacking game or a game where crosses are put into the box and he rarely gets that at Arsenal. I think if you put him in the Chelsea team of 14/15 he scores as many as Costa did.

I've always said Monreal and Bellerin aren't great at getting decent crosses in, but others disagree. Never really seen any stats on it.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Seems the BBC left out the 15 years part just to add to the drama?

He is obsessed, though. :D

Following quote was "last time I won title was 1 year ago, not 10 years ago, 15 years ago. It was 1 year ago. So if I have lot to prove imagine about others"

This was in reply to the question asking whether he has lot to prove after what happened last season.

Nothing to do with arsenal but somehow people are outraged for a simple tweet taken out of context

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Let's just ignore him and look forward to his next eventual meltdown. Hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ah who cares what he says (other than the United fans flocking in here to defend him obviously) , not like Wenger is in anyway affected by it. The very fact that he feels the need to keep mentioning Wenger is telling in its own right.

Following quote was "last time I won title was 1 year ago, not 10 years ago, 15 years ago. It was 1 year ago. So if I have lot to prove imagine about others"

This was in reply to the question asking whether he has lot to prove after what happened last season.

Nothing to do with arsenal but somehow people are outraged for a simple tweet taken out of context

Not sure what you mean by tweet....I'm just reading quotes from the press conference from more than one source. They all say the same thing, which means they are selectively quoting to play up his obsession with Wenger.

"There are some managers who last won a title 10 years ago, some of them the last time was never.

"The last time I won a title was one year ago."

I'm yet to see what you've quoted above.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by tweet....I'm just reading quotes from the press conference from more than one source. They all say the same thing, which means they are selectively quoting to play up his obsession with Wenger.

"There are some managers who last won a title 10 years ago, some of them the last time was never.

"The last time I won a title was one year ago."

I'm yet to see what you've quoted above.

That's why I said selective quoting. I know you won't watch the video but it's clear in the video.

Anyways I'm out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That's why I said selective quoting. I know you won't watch the video but it's clear in the video.

Anyways I'm out now.

You sure are, Giggsy.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    You sure are, Giggsy.

Well played sir.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement