Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    That's why I said selective quoting. I know you won't watch the video but it's clear in the video.

Anyways I'm out now.

Oh Giggsy, you made me go watch the video.....seems you're the one with selective quoting.

He's obsessed!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Off the top of my head its hard to think he has prob been the best striker at the Euros!haha

Even looking at form over the season, I'd probably swap Kane for him and perhaps Sturridge if he could become injury free. Not a great deal of choice though

greendom wrote: »
    Even looking at form over the season, I'd probably swap Kane for him and perhaps Sturridge if he could become injury free. Not a great deal of choice though

Very scary how poor Kane was against Iceland, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Basil3 wrote: »
    Very scary how poor Kane was against Iceland, though.

Kane is going through a bad spell of form at the moment. Hasn't been himself since towards the end of the season imo.

He's probably the only thing about spurs that I'm envious of, would love him at Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Following quote was "last time I won title was 1 year ago, not 10 years ago, 15 years ago. It was 1 year ago. So if I have lot to prove imagine about others"

This was in reply to the question asking whether he has lot to prove after what happened last season.

Nothing to do with arsenal but somehow people are outraged for a simple tweet taken out of context

Giggsy, if you think that's not aimed at Wenger, and delivered with the knowledge exactly how to would be received, then you're really nailing your colours to the mast regarding discussions of Jose.

He's an arrogant, petty, vengeful, self-obsessed, very effective manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Deliberately at Wenger, who knows...it's only a matter of time before he takes another pop anyways. He's a vile individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I wish Wenger would come out like that though and say he has a plan for the season ahead with a set number of targets would stop alot of the bitching that goes towards him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wish Wenger would come out like that though and say he has a plan for the season ahead with a set number of targets would stop alot of the bitching that goes towards him

Hostage to fortune tactics? Arguably worse than being deliberately vague and non-committal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

While I have gone off Mourinho there is one thing I know and that is that he will have United challenging for the title. They will be hard to beat and up for every game under him.

Hard to take that away from him.

I will be hoping i'm totally wrong with that but my gut instinct tells me different. The man has a winning mentality even if we don't like him.

While I have gone off Mourinho there is one thing I know and that is that he will have United challenging for the title. They will be hard to beat and up for every game under him.

I will be hoping i'm totally wrong with that but my gut instinct tells me different. The man has a winning mentality even if we don't like him.

What's the saying? "You're only as good as your last (half) season managing.."

Something like that, anyway :D

Should be a good season, though. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

His football is puke, his attitude is puke. He dragged Chelsea's name through the muck last year. The reason he is successful is because he is bankrolled at every club. He calls Wenger obsessive and yet has another dig at him today? He is pathetic. A very shallow pig ignorant individual. Karma will bury his career good and proper this time. Times up Mourinho. Your about to be found out for good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

His football is puke, his attitude is puke. He dragged Chelsea's name through the muck last year. The reason he is successful is because he is bankrolled at every club. He calls Wenger obsessive and yet has another dig at him today? He is pathetic. A very shallow pig ignorant individual. Karma will bury his career good and proper this time. Times up Mourinho. Your about to be found out for good

I agree with everything expect for the karma thing and his time being up but the bolded part just isn't true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Leave Mourinho bitch away, the reality is that he will probably win a title with United...maybe win a title with United but he will surely leave or be sacked having dragged the clubs name through the dirt falling out with everyone along the way in three years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Come on Arsene, win the league this year and rid us of that garbage at United

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

HarryStuby wrote: »
    Mourinho aiming digs at wenger 10 minutes into his first press conference. He really is a pathetic individual. Nothing would give me more pleasure than for Mourinho and United to perform a guard of honour when we meet at the Emirates in April
    P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    The man is obsessed, embarrassing really.

This Mourinho bloke, is he a bit of a voyeur.....pacman.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

HarryStuby wrote: »
    Mourinho aiming digs at wenger 10 minutes into his first press conference. He really is a pathetic individual. Nothing would give me more pleasure than for Mourinho and United to perform a guard of honour when we meet at the Emirates in April

The game is actually in May, do you honestly think Arsenal will have the league won with 3 games to spare this coming season ? Honestly ? :o

Top four same as it always is, last season was there for your taking but he blew it, every other 'top' team were muck bar Spurs and he still fooked up.
    gosplan wrote: »

He's an arrogant, petty, vengeful, self-obsessed, very effective manager.

All true, remind you of anyone ? :P

d22ontour wrote: »

All true, remind you of anyone ? :P

In all honesty, no.

That's awful by the way. You can't be trying that hard.

Who does he remind you of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

The Alexandre Lacazette story seems to be gaining legs with a couple of papers, albeit a couple of French ones denying any release clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Andip wrote: »
    The Alexandre Lacazette story seems to be gaining legs with a couple of papers, albeit a couple of French ones denying any release clause.

A big fat "meh" to Lacazette! Not the required standard

A big fat yes to Lacazette, would be excellent business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

i still wish mourinho was in charge of arsenal as i am desperate for our club to win trophies at all costs now.

Anyways how is everyone?

i have just came back from an amazing trip in Peru and have been away for 3/4 weeks.

I missed most of the euro's, got disappointed when i heard my fellow Englishmen voted to leave the EU and then heard England performed amazing against mighty Iceland.

To say i am ecstatic and happy to be back in England is an understatement....

i still wish mourinho was in charge of arsenal as i am desperate for our club to win trophies at all costs now.

Anyways how is everyone?

i have just came back from an amazing trip in Peru and have been away for 3/4 weeks.

I missed most of the euro's, got disappointed when i heard my fellow Englishmen voted to leave the EU and then heard England performed amazing against mighty Iceland.

Welcome back. Arsne had some comments on Brexit in the last few days.

He's probably just miffed he can't pinch any 16 year olds from Barca anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

gosplan wrote: »

Anyways how is everyone?

Welcome back. Arsne had some comments on Brexit in the last few days.

He's probably just miffed he can't pinch any 16 year olds from Barca anymore.
    what did he say?

And this does bring up an interesting argument. We all know how hard it is for english teams to buy players from outside of the EU, Will the same thing happen now?

Could it weakened your league even more?

Yup. He might struggle a bit with a new league but we can play through balls to the striker again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

The fans give giroud a hard time, imagine what they will do to a guy that can't even make the French squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Lacazette is worth it even if you don't believe him to be better than Giroud. A completely different option at a similar level who's far younger so could kick on. I think that type of signing is the best we can hope for.

wawaman wrote: »
    The fans give giroud a hard time, imagine what they will do to a guy that can't even make the French squad

Yes because one man's squad selection defines a players quality :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd love Lacazette, but the story is a load of bull. There's no release clauses in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Tevez and Diego Costa can't make their national teams but they're both still quality strikers so that's not a great argument against Lacazette

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Tevez and Diego Costa can't make their national teams but they're both still quality strikers so that's not a great argument against Lacazette

You forgot Theo Walcott!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

If Giroud played for us how he does for France I'd be happy to go without a replacement. Whether that's his fault or not has been discussed at length over the past 5 pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Anyways how is everyone?

Welcome back, dude.

But you can leave that attitude towards Mourinho in Peru, thank you very much. :D

Anyways how is everyone?

And they say travel broadens the mind. BTW I'm shocked your not a brexiteer considering you seem to be welcome to the nuclear option at our fine 130 year old institution. These absurd ideas while different tend to go hand in hand.

130 years to build and 1 season to wreck. I'm glad that man is nowhere near our football club

what did he say?

And this does bring up an interesting argument. We all know how hard it is for english teams to buy players from outside of the EU, Will the same thing happen now?

Could it weakened your league even more?

He just spoke about how he was opposed to Brexit and he expects te league to lose money long run.

What it will do for the league is basically solidify it around money again.

Only starting internationals (special talent) for non-UK teams I think. Bellerin, Kos, Monreal, Cazorla etc.

The people it will hurt most are teams like Leicester and West Ham because unearthing gems like Kante or Payet will be really tough.

Whichever is the next richest league in Europe should benefit hugely though.

Is anyone else worried about the transfer strategy 'again' this year. Just seen that Man U have signed Mkhitaryan, that follows Ibra into the fold. Two major signings for a club that really didn't perform last year. I'm far from knocking Man U, of course they will always have the pulling power, probably enhanced by Mourinho as manager, but we always seem to be left with sloppy seconds or an empty bowl.

• Advertisement

Is anyone else worried about the transfer strategy 'again' this year. Just seen that Man U have signed Mkhitaryan, that follows Ibra into the fold. Two major signings for a club that really didn't perform last year. I'm far from knocking Man U, of course they will always have the pulling power, probably enhanced by Mourinho as manager, but we always seem to be left with sloppy seconds or an empty bowl.

So Utd bought one of the players of the Bundesliga last year. Guess what, so did we. Ibrahimovic was never happening, Wenger doesn't do egos/30+ year olds/300k+ wages.

We're seeing all of the other lads getting the 'shift' and are on their way home with their birds and we're panicking that its just Xhaka and an unheard of Japanese lad so far. The transfer season hasnt kicked in fully yet so panic on August 31st. I think we'll sign two others personally. I hope one is a good centre half. Its not going to be Matt Hummels unfortunately and im stumped as to whether there is any other known top class centre backs.

So Utd bought one of the players of the Bundesliga last year. Guess what, so did we. Ibrahimovic was never happening, Wenger doesn't do egos/30+ year olds/300k+ wages.

Sorry my point wasn't that we didn't sign Ibra, its more that time is ticking away again & there are no real signs of action. I think Xhaka will be great for the club, but we're either doing our business very privately, or I fear another bad transfer window

Sorry my point wasn't that we didn't sign Ibra, its more that time is ticking away again & there are no real signs of action. I think Xhaka will be great for the club, but we're either doing our business very privately, or I fear another bad transfer window

Wenger's always fairly quiet and then he might pull something out of the bag. And the way this summer is going, he will/has to. I'll start to panic myself if it reaches August with no sign of anything decent happening.

Wenger's always fairly quiet and then he might pull something out of the bag. And the way this summer is going, he will/has to. I'll start to panic myself if it reaches August with no sign of anything decent happening.

Hopefully, im just getting that de ja vu feeling...ill go back into my box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

We're seeing all of the other lads getting the 'shift' and are on their way home with their birds and we're panicking that its just Xhaka and an unheard of Japanese lad so far. The transfer season hasnt kicked in fully yet so panic on August 31st. I think we'll sign two others personally. I hope one is a good centre half. Its not going to be Matt Hummels unfortunately and im stumped as to whether there is any other known top class centre backs.

Van Djik for S'hampton would do good for us I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

One thing I've learned from the Euros is that being away with your national side in the middle of a tournament is no longer a stumbling block in a completing a transfer (Nani, Batshuayi).

Also finishing outside the champions league places doesn't matter a jot in terms of chasing the top players. Show them enough money and they'll join. Although that one has been apparent for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The transfer season hasnt kicked in fully yet so panic on August 31st. I think we'll sign two others personally

If I had a euro every time I seen a post similar to this every window I'd be signing the players myself

Wenger's always fairly quiet and then he might pull something out of the bag. And the way this summer is going, he will/has to

I see it differently, this is his last year he'll plan to leave the club in a 'healthy position' financially so I don't expect anything big

He knows no matter how this season goes he'll get a standing ovation at the end of season when he says goodbye.

I'm resigned to this season being a repeat season of the last few years and plan to acknowledge it as Wengers last and try appreciate him for what he has done but look forward to the next chapter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Soups123 wrote: »
    I see it differently, this is his last year he'll plan to leave the club in a 'healthy position' financially so I don't expect anything big

He knows no matter how this season goes he'll get a standing ovation at the end of season when he says goodbye.

I'm resigned to this season being a repeat season of the last few years and plan to acknowledge it as Wengers last and try appreciate him for what he has done but look forward to the next chapter

Agree with this.

There isn't going to be a big splurge suddenly after years and years of disappointment.

Will be business as usual.

He's already got the club to a healthy financial position - splashing out on 2 more players isn't going to change that. He said himself he needs 3 first team players, he's got 1. But go ahead, ignore that and go on a Wenger rant. Just what we need, never heard that one before!

He's already got the club to a healthy financial position - splashing out on 2 more players isn't going to change that. He said himself he needs 3 first team players, he's got 1. But go ahead, ignore that and go on a Wenger rant. Just what we need, never heard that one before!

I didn't go on a rant at all not sure in what tone you read it, I said I was going to try sit back and respect Arsene in his last season, I'll absolutely be one that stands up, I think next year of all years will be a free pass.

I was just saying I think he'll try leave the funds for the next man than spend big this summer.

I didn't go on a rant at all not sure in what tone you read it, I said I was going to try sit back and respect Arsene in his last season, I'll absolutely be one that stands up, I think next year of all years will be a free pass.

I was just saying I think he'll try leave the funds for the next man than spend big this summer.

Fair enough, I definitely read that wrong, apologies. Hate transfer season :o

Still though, he tried to get Vardy, and he won't just stop entirely now that that one fell through. I genuinely have faith he'll get somebody decent up front this window. No idea who mind.

Would like a centre half as well, but I'm not sure Wenger thinks the same.

Fair enough, I definitely read that wrong, apologies. Hate transfer season :o

Still though, he tried to get Vardy, and he won't just stop entirely now that that one fell through. I genuinely have faith he'll get somebody decent up front this window. No idea who mind.

Would like a centre half as well, but I'm not sure Wenger thinks the same.

I know the feeling!

Maybe your right, I just feel it'll be very reserved. I doubt we went gung Ho for Vardy I think he offered him a Welbeck/Walcott role.

It's early doors but I think it'll be precautionary signings nothing to committed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Agree with this.

There isn't going to be a big splurge suddenly after years and years of disappointment.

Will be business as usual.

No splurge suddenly after years??? Business as usual???

13/14: Özil in, no big departures £32.5m net
    14/15: Sanchez, Welbeck, Chambers in, no big departures £65.4m net
    15/16: Cech, Elneny in, no big departures £13.2m net
    16/17: Xhaka,...in, no big departures? £38.8m+ net?

Those kind of statements really annoy me. The last 4 years have seen massive changes in Arsenal's transfer policy. They no longer seem to be shackled financially by the Emirates. Last season wasn't amazing on that front but it was still a far cry from when they were servicing the stadium debt. Not having to continually sell their top talent while also actively seeking top class new recruits is a massive step forward.

Will it be enough to win the league or warrant extending Wenger's contract? Probably not, but there has been a massive shift in the last few years whether people like to believe it or not!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement