Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

13/14 and 14/15 were unusual but 15/16 was business as usual to be honest, and 16/17 has been business as usual so far. The money spent on Xhaka is nothing in today's market.

13/14 and 14/15 were unusual but 15/16 was business as usual to be honest, and 16/17 has been business as usual so far. The money spent on Xhaka is nothing in today's market.

Examples of other seasons like 15/16? Based purely on net spend?

Funny how Xhaka signing can have a negative spin put on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Basil3 wrote: »

Nobody has put a negative spin on us signing Xhaka.

The problem is we need a CF, a CB, a RW. Nobody knows if we are going to get what we need and judging by past transfer windows it's hard for people to be optimistic about Wenger addressing the areas where we require quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's the manner in how we bought those massive signings, massive fan unrest, pressure on Wenger to buy someone, last minute panic buys (mostly)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

We were clearly in for Vardy, so Wenger obviously sees a gap there. So Im sure he will still address it. To be honest - im happy he is taking his time and looking at all the options, and not just pulling the trigger and spending 30+ million on someone like Mane!
    I also think we will get a decent winger.
    There are 2 long months left, lets not start panicking just yet.
    Although - I would be concerned with the start of our season.

Sanchez needs a break, as does Ramsey, Giroud, Ozil and Kos

Liverpool will be a tricky one if we are missing all these guys

It's the manner in how we bought those massive signings, massive fan unrest, pressure on Wenger to buy someone, last minute panic buys (mostly)

Which big signings were last minute panic buys?

I wouldn't call Welbeck a massive signing, but I know he was last minute to cover injury.

Ozil wasn't last minute panic, as far as I remember. It was reliant on the Bale deal going through, which happened the day before.

I know we've made a few signings at the end of the window in the past, but that's back when we were aiming to get value buying players for £10-15m and balance the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Utd in talks to sign Pogba! Well thats worrying

DeclanRe wrote: »

Exactly the type of player we need in the middle

DeclanRe wrote: »

As if we would be in for a player like pogba. We're probably looking for the "next pogba" playing for the under 15s at some lower French division club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Which big signings were last minute panic buys?

I wouldn't call Welbeck a massive signing, but I know he was last minute to cover injury.

Ozil wasn't last minute panic, as far as I remember. It was reliant on the Bale deal going through, which happened the day before.

I know we've made a few signings at the end of the window in the past, but that's back when we were aiming to get value buying players for £10-15m and balance the books.

Mertersacker. Arteta etc that came after the 8 2 defeat at OT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

As if we would be in for a player like pogba. We're probably looking for the "next pogba" playing for the under 15s at some lower French division club.

Well going from experience, When you find him, dont let him leave for free and then have to buy him back for a Bazillion pounds.

Always a lesson learned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So I wonder is there anything in the rumours on twitter today of a 40 odd million bid for draxler bid going in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So I wonder is there anything in the rumours on twitter today of a 40 odd million bid for draxler bid going in

IMO if we get a wide player, it'll be someone that can play up front too.

The backdrop to all of this is that Giroud is the only striker we have till Christmas so a purchase will be made there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Think that ship has sailed.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Improved our squad with Cesh and no major departures. Doesn't sound like business as usual to me!

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    Improved our squad with Cesh and no major departures. Doesn't sound like business as usual to me!

We bought a goalkeeper when we needed a CF, CB, CDM and RW. Sounds like business as usual to me.

Cech/Ospina
    Debuchy - Chambers - Gabriel - Monreal
    Elneny - Xhaka
    Ozil - Sanchez
    Welbeck

That's nearly a full team we've signed since we last had to sell someone we didn't want to (RVP)

People saying 'business as usual' have short memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Average players bottling it every season.

Arsene with the same excuses.

Business as usual indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

L'Equipe linking us to a French Lille full-back named Djibril Sidibé: http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Arsenal-fonce-sur-djibril-sidibe/704073

Apparently everything was agreed for him to join Monaco for €15m, as of Monday, but we've jumped into discussions with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

How sexual would Giroud and Griezmann up front be for Arsenal!!

• Advertisement

I know another thing that is business as usual :pac:

And that folks is why Giroud is only good enough for a place on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How slow was Giroud there? He ain't a sprinter.

How slow was Giroud there? He ain't a sprinter.

It's horrible to watch. So slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Fairly happy with Ozil getting more of rest than Kos and Giroud which will be the case if the Germans don't score in the next 5 minutes :D

We were talking about the transfer market.

But sure whatever.

April was rainy. FFS business as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I vaguely remember us being linked with griezman a few years ago.

How did we end up with giroud and atlethico end up with him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I vaguely remember us being linked with griezman a few years ago.

How did we end up with giroud and atlethico end up with him?

I'm kind of hoping that Arsene has a few too many Stella Artios one night and puts in a drunken bit for Griezmann and it's accepted.......

If Carlsberg did dreams.............:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

gandalf wrote: »
    I'm kind of hoping that Arsene has a few too many Stella Artios one night and puts in a drunken bit for Griezmann and it's accepted.......

If Carlsberg did dreams.............:D

We were definitely linked with him years ago.

Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

We've been linked with most players at some stage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

JustTheOne wrote: »
    We were definitely linked with him years ago.

Shame.

Yeah we were linked to Griezmann and we all assumed Wenger would convert him from a winger to a striker and look how well that turned out. Think we got Sanchez instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Cmy3KxlXEAA__GH.jpg

Sad for Ozil but hopefully the other two boys can finish the job on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

L'Equipe linking us to a French Lille full-back named Djibril Sidibé: http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Arsenal-fonce-sur-djibril-sidibe/704073

Apparently everything was agreed for him to join Monaco for €15m, as of Monday, but we've jumped into discussions with him.

Apparently in tomorrow's L'Equipe it says: 'Arsenal have submitted a salary offer to Lille full-back Djibril Sidibé, but no bid yet'. That's from the Twitter account of Get French Football (@GFFN).

Apparently in tomorrow's L'Equipe it says: 'Arsenal have submitted a salary offer to Lille full-back Djibril Sidibé, but no bid yet'. That's from the Twitter account of Get French Football (@GFFN).

That'd probably be Gibbs out the door so.

Then Walcott please.

Then buy a striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

gosplan wrote: »
    That'd probably be Gibbs out the door so.

He's a right back, bad news for Jenkinson.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

L'prof wrote: »
    You’re moving the goal posts now. The context of this is you objecting to a guy saying there wouldn’t be a big splurge and it’d be business as usual. We’ve signed quality players before. Signing Cech alone for £10m isn’t a splurge under any definition, and frankly neither is Xhaka, not when the new reality is mid-table premiership teams are going for players for that sort of money.

I think everyone who supports Arsenal understands what ‘business as usual’ means; I really don’t know why you decided to take issue with this guy's use of the term. We may have loosened the purse strings a bit in recent years but we still under-invest relative to our rivals and leave the team glaringly short in crucial areas as a matter of routine. We'll sign one or two good players and do enough to finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Business as usual.

Transfer fees go up. Bergkamp for £7.5m in 1995 was a bigger outlay then than Xhaka is now.

No negative spin, it’s just what it is.

Gibbs going then?
    Hopefully. Then he can duck out of the way of the ball for some other team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

kellso81 wrote: »
    He's a right back, bad news for Jenkinson.

Seems he can play both comfortably, like Azpilicueta. Played most his football at left back last year as far as I can tell.

Gibbs going then?
    Hopefully. Then he can duck out of the way of the ball for some other team.

Still blows my mind that you can have such hate towards a guy who hardly played for us last season, and when he did, he played well (generally).

• Advertisement

Transfer fees go up. Bergkamp for £7.5m in 1995 was a bigger outlay then than Xhaka is now.

No negative spin, it’s just what it is.

Poor example, but anyway.

£35m for a player in his position and at his age is a decent chunk of money, even by today's standards.

Still blows my mind that you can have such hate towards a guy who hardly played for us last season, and when he did, he played well (generally).

It's over several years.
    I have no time for cowardly players.
    Never saw much in Gibbs tbh.
    The reason he played so little is because he's no use.

It's over several years.
    I have no time for cowardly players.
    Never saw much in Gibbs tbh.
    The reason he played so little is because he's no use.

Yeah, I view all footballers as cowards, so I guess that's the difference. I'm trying to think of a player who doesn't turn away from a ball.

Anyway, I think he's a decent squad player. I would only get rid of him if someone is going to push Monreal to backup LB. The problem is why would you even waste money/effort doing that, when there are much more pressing issues in other positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

and when he did, he played well (generally).

That's a very firm statement! I personally don't think he was anywhere near the required standard. He was brought on in games to see out results, and gave us far too many scares with missed tackles, awful passing and the aforementioned "ducking" episodes! Personally. Would like to see a replacement, and in an ideal world, one who would challenge Monreal for the starting berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

To improve on Monreal you're looking at outlaying 25 million. Anyone going for that kind of money doesn't go to sit on the bench. Gibbs is a good squad player and performed fine for the games he played IMO. Monreal is also a consistent performer for us, feel no need to improve on him. He also has the fitness to play almost every game. A striker and a RW are far far more important.

On a seperate note, Ramsey is shown his ability at CM during the Euros when he's not shackled with a lot of defensive duties. Could a Xhaka-Ramsey partnership bear fruit? And if so, could Caz possibly fill the RW role? I have no faith in Walcott and seemingly Campbell won't be given a shot regardless of his ability or attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Left back is the least of our problems really, Monreal is class and while Gibbs does have some faults, he's a backup player and is perfectly fine for that role.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I view all footballers as cowards, so I guess that's the difference. I'm trying to think of a player who doesn't turn away from a ball.

Anyway, I think he's a decent squad player. I would only get rid of him if someone is going to push Monreal to backup LB. The problem is why would you even waste money/effort doing that, when there are much more pressing issues in other positions?

But all footballers are not cowards. Gibbs is.
    Plenty of evidence even during the the Euros of defenders throwing themselves in the way of shots i.e Rep of Irl, N. Irl, Wales, Iceland, France, Germany, Italy etc etc.
    If we got 10 million for Gibbs and replaced him with another 10 million brave defender i'd be very happy.
    He's been a senior panel player for 10 years and has got worse every year imo.

But all footballers are not cowards. Gibbs is.
    Plenty of evidence even during the the Euros of defenders throwing themselves in the way of shots i.e Rep of Irl, N. Irl, Wales, Iceland, France, Germany, Italy etc etc.
    If we got 10 million for Gibbs and replaced him with another 10 million brave defender i'd be very happy.
    He's been a senior panel player for 10 years and has got worse every year imo.

I doubt he's even at the club 10 years ffs and he's never been a senior player, he's only about 25 now. He has regressed over the past two or three years but he's more than adequate to play the role of second choice left back.

domrush wrote: »
    I doubt he's even at the club 10 years ffs and he's never been a senior player, he's only about 25 now. He has regressed over the past two or three years but he's more than adequate to play the role of second choice left back.

Maybe you should have looked it up before posting ;)

Maybe you should have looked it up before posting ;)

From his wikipedia page he managed a grand total of 18 league appearances at the club in his first five years..

domrush wrote: »
    From his wikipedia page he managed a grand total of 18 league appearances at the club in his first five years..

And we know the reason why?
    He's only getting on now when Monrael loses a leg.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement