Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

But all footballers are not cowards. Gibbs is.
    Plenty of evidence even during the the Euros of defenders throwing themselves in the way of shots i.e Rep of Irl, N. Irl, Wales, Iceland, France, Germany, Italy etc etc.
    If we got 10 million for Gibbs and replaced him with another 10 million brave defender i'd be very happy.
    He's been a senior panel player for 10 years and has got worse every year imo.

I said I view them as cowards, and they are compared to other sports which show true bravery. Every single one of our defenders would (and do) turn their back on a ball getting kicked at them. They don't get the same grief as him. There's plenty of evidence of him committing himself to hard tackles, but for whatever reason you remember only that he doesn't do that.

In any case, I'm not even saying he's amazing. There's no reason to get rid of him, though - unless he wants to leave. Last season was a small sample size for Gibbs, but statistically speaking he has better defensive stats than both Bellerin and Monreal. He has weaknesses he needs to work on (and it's not too late for him to do so), and that's why he's only a number 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Basil3 wrote: »
    I said I view them as cowards, and they are compared to other sports which show true bravery. Every single one of our defenders would (and do) turn their back on a ball getting kicked at them. They don't get the same grief as him. There's plenty of evidence of him committing himself to hard tackles, but for whatever reason you remember only that he doesn't do that.

In any case, I'm not even saying he's amazing. There's no reason to get rid of him, though - unless he wants to leave. Last season was a small sample size for Gibbs, but statistically speaking he has better defensive stats than both Bellerin and Monreal. He has weaknesses he needs to work on (and it's not too late for him to do so), and that's why he's only a number 2.

We're not talking about other sports though. We're talking about football and Arsenal. The only other defender I saw do it was Mert and I also lambasted him about it on this thread. The problem is that Gibbs has been poor consistently.

Ugh, this turning away from the ball thing again. Show me someone outside the box who's tracked a player and is stationary when a shot is taken who don't either go toward the ball or turn away to do something else once the ball has been played.
    Last-ditch blocks are just that, last ditch. It's your only job at the time. If someone is outside the box and you "make yourself big" and face the ball while a runners goes around you and cuts inside for a handy ball then the player is called an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I'll see your ducking Gibbs, and I'll raise you a jump out of a challenge Walcott!!!

Ugh, this turning away from the ball thing again. Show me someone outside the box who's tracked a player and is stationary when a shot is taken who don't either go toward the ball or turn away to do something else once the ball has been played.
    Last-ditch blocks are just that, last ditch. It's your only job at the time. If someone is outside the box and you "make yourself big" and face the ball while a runners goes around you and cuts inside for a handy ball then the player is called an idiot.

You're saying Gibbs is awesome? :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Linked with Subotic now. Quality defender but seems to have been injury prone over the last few seasons.

domrush wrote: »
    Van Djik for S'hampton would do good for us I think

Talk of Subotic being available also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Linked with Subotic now. Quality defender but seems to have been injury prone over the last few seasons.

Six league starts last season. Doesn't seem worth it, although Bild mentioned his fee as being 5m eur, which is worth a punt.

An update from Telegraph on that possible Sidibe signing: not happening.

According to Le 10 Sport, the transfer has already been agreed between Monaco and Lille and no amount of late Arsenal shoving in is going to change things.

It's also been suggested that Wenger is reluctant to match the 15 million euros bid that has been accepted, in an entirely uncharacteristic move on his behalf.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Yeah we were linked to Griezmann and we all assumed Wenger would convert him from a winger to a striker and look how well that turned out. Think we got Sanchez instead?

Grieszman was a rough diamond until Simeone coached him I feel. He has really grown into an absolute gem. A genuine contender for ballon d'or this year whatever happens Sunday

• Advertisement

Grieszman was a rough diamond until Simeone coached him I feel. He has really grown into an absolute gem. A genuine contender for ballon d'or this year whatever happens Sunday

Griezmann was having a great season at Malaga when we were linked with him, in January 2014 - around same time as we were first linked with Draxler.

Draxler or Griezmann, who would we choose that month? An already-injured Kim Kallstrom, of course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

OK not gonna panic of these rumours of alexis wanting a move back to juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

If he moves we know who's fault it is , The arsenal board and manager for showing a total lack of ambition in the last few transfer windows

I certainly won't blame Alexis I mean he's won more trophies with his country for **** sake in the 2 years he's been here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Would anyone take Alexis leaving and being replaced by Griezmann?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

salmocab wrote: »

No, we wouldnt be much better if any better at all. Cant be losing our top players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

People can want griezmann all they want, he won't be going Arsenal. After the euros he had your looking at 60/70m for him. Waaay out of our league

Griezmann was having a great season at Malaga when we were linked with him, in January 2014 - around same time as we were first linked with Draxler.

Draxler or Griezmann, who would we choose that month? An already-injured Kim Kallstrom, of course :D

Draxler looked better back then (hard to believe its been 2 and a half years ago it feels like yesterday)

Griezman was a talent but has matured considerably since he joined Atletico Madrid. He has learned to be part of a collective effort.

wawaman wrote: »
    People can want griezmann all they want, he won't be going Arsenal. After the euros he had your looking at 60/70m for him. Waaay out of our league

We can admire a new Ferrari without ever realistically owning one can't we? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

We can admire a new Ferrari without ever realistically owning one can't we? :p

True! But when all our neighbours get ferraris and we are still haggling over a 15 year old banger with a broken suspension, the banners will come out!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Maybe wenger should take the england job , he won't have to spend any money ever again and still be getting an outrageous paycheck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

wawaman wrote: »
    True! But when all our neighbours get ferraris and we are still haggling over a 15 year old banger with a broken suspension, the banners will come out!!

That banger lacks a little bit confidence.....

salmocab wrote: »

I'll probably get slaughtered for this, but I have to speak my thoughts! Yes, in a nutshell, I would! Alexis brings us the X factor that keeps the opposition terrified, but for me, he loses the ball way too easily for my liking. Yes, he hunts like a wild dog trying to retrieve it, but for me, while he can be explosively brilliant, he is far from consistent and has more poor games than brilliant.

Ok so, I've opened my legs, go give me a kicking!! Or at least tell me why I'm wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

emmetlego wrote: »
    I'll probably get slaughtered for this, but I have to speak my thoughts! Yes, in a nutshell, I would! Alexis brings us the X factor that keeps the opposition terrified, but for me, he loses the ball way too easily for my liking. Yes, he hunts like a wild dog trying to retrieve it, but for me, while he can be explosively brilliant, he is far from consistent and has more poor games than brilliant.

Ok so, I've opened my legs, go give me a kicking!! Or at least tell me why I'm wrong!

Grizemann yeah but let's be realistic.

Losing Alexis would be a big loss.

He's far from perfect, doesn't link well with people and really only has one way of playing. If he was smarter he'd be a top class CF.

However, he's a game changer. At the very highest level, he can just make things happen and we don't have another like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Maybe wenger should take the england job , he won't have to spend any money ever again and still be getting an outrageous paycheck

Maybe you should go for it. Show us how it's all done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I read that his main injury last season was thrombosis which isn't something I'd worry about reoccurring. Seems he didn't see much football as Tuchel favoured Sokratis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

This won't go down well but all our top players are unwanted players from other clubs

Sanchez-couldnt quite break into barca team fair enough it was an unbelievable barca team at the time and arrival of neymar put final nail in his coffin .

Ozil- out the door once arrival of bale was announced

Cech- shown the road due to courtois being preferred

They are all great players but why aren't we trying for the bales courtois and neymars of the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

This won't go down well but all our top players are unwanted players from other clubs

Sanchez-couldnt quite break into barca team fair enough it was an unbelievable barca team at the time and arrival of neymar put final nail in his coffin .

They are all great players but why aren't we trying for the bales courtois and neymars of the world?

Players being unwanted by clubs doesn't make them any less of a player. Funny that you use Cech and Courtois as examples as Cech is still a superior keeper to the over rated Courtois, and also wasn't unwanted by his club, Mourinho wasn't happy with him leaving at all.

Players like Neymar and Bale command 300k a week at least, there are few clubs that can pay that salary and we aren't one of them, not under Wenger anyway. Who says these players wanna play for Arsenal? It's not fifa you can't just sign whoever you please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Players being unwanted by clubs doesn't make them any less of a player. Funny that you use Cech and Courtois as examples as Cech is still a superior keeper to the over rated Courtois, and also wasn't unwanted by his club, Mourinho wasn't happy with him leaving at all.

Players like Neymar and Bale command 300k a week at least, there are few clubs that can pay that salary and we aren't one of them, not under Wenger anyway. Who says these players wanna play for Arsenal? It's not fifa you can't just sign whoever you please

We've always operated this way; Bergkamp and Henry are two notable arrivals who were unwanted at their previous clubs.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    We've always operated this way; Bergkamp and Henry are two notable arrivals who were unwanted at their previous clubs.

I hope you genuflected when you mentioned the deities?

Morata rumour gaining momentum in Twitter-land, all click bait and not one decent source mentioning it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I hope you genuflected when you mentioned the deities?

Morata rumour gaining momentum in Twitter-land, all click bait and not one decent source mentioning it!

Lacazette too. Be good if we get one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

greendom wrote: »
    Lacazette too. Be good if we get one of them

I'd rather both and Higuain/Hriezmann lets just make it happen! Blow the bejaysus out of it in his last season!!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

DenMan wrote: »

Can't wait for people to lose their minds over losing a player they know nothing about

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Can't wait for people to lose their minds over losing a player they know nothing about

Glad we didnt get him. We need a CB, RW & a CF, anything else would be a waste until we get those three positions sorted.

As it stands right now its Walcott or Sanogo to start upfront against Liverpool :)

Glad we didnt get him. We need a CB, RW & a CF, anything else would be a waste until we get those three positions sorted.

No point buying another CB if we're not going to give the ones at the club a chance.

Unless we sign Hummels that is.

RW won't happen. One of Rambo/Wilshire will play there.

CF is an absolute must.

gosplan wrote: »
    No point buying another CB if we're not going to give the ones at the club a chance.

CF is an absolute must.

Mertesacker isn't good enough. Gabriel is very green and in the Kos mold and so should remain his understudy/back up. He doesnt seem to fancy Chambers at all, but he would be my personal choice to partner Kos. If not, we definitely need another starting calibre one.

Ramsey has to play central. We saw how devastating he could be from a central position before and with Wales over the Euros. Relying on Wilshere is like relying on Diaby these days. We definitely need a new starter out there or for the left side to move Alexis to the right. We need to move on Walcott however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Bacca on the way from AC to West Ham apparently, not that long ago he was linked with big money moves to a few big clubs. Whatever happened to the story that we were interested in Rodriguez? Thought he looked very good for the Swiss in the Euros

The problem is Rambo plays for Wales where we play Ozil.

Xhaka, Coq, Elneny, Caz, Wilshire, Rambo.

Six players for 2 positions. One of them is going wide.

The problem is Rambo plays for Wales where we play Ozil.

Xhaka, Coq, Elneny, Caz, Wilshire, Rambo.

Six players for 2 positions. One of them is going wide.

I wonder would a 4-1-4-1 formation work for us?

Xhaka
    Alexis
    Ramsey
    Ozil
    New Winger
    New CF

Then our backups would all have a place in our squad too.

Coquelin/ Elneny
    Welbeck
    Wilshere
    Cazorla
    Ox
    Giroud

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Arsenal tried to get Thierry Henry before he went to Juventus. Juve did not go too well.

Bergkamp did not do well at Inter either, despite his performances for Ajax

Cech was brilliant for much of last season (First West Ham game in the season was bad though)

Ozil? meh, hot and cold

As it stands right now its Walcott or Sanogo to start upfront against Liverpool :)

Id rather Sanogo given the choice tbh. He'll at the very least put himself about.

https://twitter.com/eoinmons/status/751777125238120449

If there is one thing the internet delivers on, its the continous golden analogies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

http://www.football365.com/news/griezmanns-straight-man-giroud-deserves-plaudits-too

Nice article. I hope we capitalise on his strengths next season.

CF is an absolute must.

He's gone to bayern munich. he'll probably retire there

Id rather Sanogo given the choice tbh. He'll at the very least put himself about.

Agreed. No room on the pitch for cowards like Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Agreed. No room on the pitch for cowards like Walcott.

Mad to think he has had 10 years at the club and still doesn't look like a professional footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/afcstuff/status/751819358758965248

Not bad, maybe we could stick him up front against Pool ;)

Further to yesterday's discussion about Morata for Sanchez...

Apparently a Juve director has said Arsenal told Juve that Sanchez was not for sale at any price... And a Madrid spokesman has said that Morata will be staying with the club this term...

That's the end of that so!

• Advertisement

Further to yesterday's discussion about Morata for Sanchez...

Apparently a Juve director has said Arsenal told Juve that Sanchez was not for sale at any price... And a Madrid spokesman has said that Morata will be staying with the club this term...

That's the end of that so!

Happy on both counts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement