Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

Lads on twitter losing their willies over not signing morata or vardy. Bit ridiculous tbh.

I'll agree we need a striker but I'd prefer us to sign the right striker as opposed to just any name.

We have at least as good as Morata and we done as good as we can with Vardy. There are very few batistuta types around today. I'm assuming lascazette offers something different in terms of being a box lurker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I read somewhere that Henry was quoted as saying that Lacazette could be great in a two striker system with Giroud. Wenger is probably too stubborn to change at this stage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

who in your opinions would be better upfront FOR US , Lacazette or Griezmann ? Im only saying Griezmann because of the linking effect he has with Giroud up top for France ?

I read somewhere that Henry was quoted as saying that Lacazette could be great in a two striker system with Giroud. Wenger is probably too stubborn to change at this stage though.

Really what he should have done with giroud and podolski tbh instead of sticking podolski out wide

pudzey101 wrote: »
    who in your opinions would be better upfront FOR US , Lacazette or Griezmann ? Im only saying Griezmann because of the linking effect he has with Giroud up top for France ?

If you can control and finish then either would do well with Giroud. He's a great foil. Sanchez would do well beside him too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Lads on twitter losing their willies over not signing morata or vardy. Bit ridiculous tbh.

I'll agree we need a striker but I'd prefer us to sign the right striker as opposed to just any name.

We have at least as good as Morata and we done as good as we can with Vardy. There are very few batistuta types around today. I'm assuming lascazette offers something different in terms of being a box lurker?

I'm not getting the big deal with Morata with some of the fanbase. His goal scoring record isn't great, he's just another version of Giroud and he's massively overpriced (but who isn't these days) plus he's more a sub then a first teamer at Juventus. Yes he's young but I don't see a world class player in him.

Vardy deal was just his agent trying to hike up his wages. I doubt Vardy even wanted to join us.

I think the fact everyone else around is building their teams, we continue to see the same old plodding by Wenger like he does every season. Yes one signing done (just before the season tickets went out too maybe I'm been cynical) but this season he needs to show far more ambition and yet he's in France doing punditry and still haggling over prices.

Looper007 wrote: »
    I'm not getting the big deal with Morata with some of the fanbase. His goal scoring record isn't great, he's just another version of Giroud and he's massively overpriced (but who isn't these days) plus he's more a sub then a first teamer at Juventus. Yes he's young but I don't see a world class player in him.

Vardy deal was just his agent trying to hike up his wages. I doubt Vardy even wanted to join us.

I think the fact everyone else around is building their teams, we continue to see the same old plodding by Wenger like he does every season. Yes one signing done (just before the season tickets went out too maybe I'm been cynical) but this season he needs to show far more ambition and yet he's in France doing punditry and still haggling over prices.

He done punditry for the World cup and more or less came back with Sanchez. Wouldn't think xhaka had anything got to do with season ticket sales. He'll be a top player for us and he replaces Arteta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Theres a terriffic striker plying his trade for Napoli that would be a superb signing for us. Lorenzo Insigne.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Really what he should have done with giroud and podolski tbh instead of sticking podolski out wide

Now this I agree with, Podolski was a brilliant finisher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

emmetlego wrote: »
    Now this I agree with, Podolski was a brilliant finisher!

you knew the minute that ball came to his left peg he was 95% going to score :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So it seems we're keeping Alexis and Jeff is now first team.

That's Jeff, Iwobi, Wilshire, Campbell, Rambo probably, Ox etc for one position.

No way are we getting an orthodox winger for that side. With Alexis coming in on the opposite side and creating a lot but losing the ball a lot, Wenger will stick with a good passing wide midfielder who retains the ball but can tuck in too.

Depending on the striker it may even be worth switching Ramsey and Ozil from the wing to AMF.

And today's Twitter rumour mill is suggesting Draxler and Turan bids made

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SteakandKidney

emmetlego wrote:
    And today's Twitter rumour mill is suggesting Draxler and Turan bids made

Considering the comments made by the latter about Arsenal earlier in the year I would be not be pinning my hopes on that particular rumour

Considering the comments made by the latter about Arsenal earlier in the year I would be not be pinning my hopes on that particular rumour

I missed that, and Google is showing me nothing on it.... Enlighten me please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I missed that, and Google is showing me nothing on it.... Enlighten me please!

He said arsenal was his plan b if he couldn't go to barca. Don't see anything wrong with that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    He said arsenal was his plan b if he couldn't go to barca. Don't see anything wrong with that tbh.

No way are we getting Turan.

gosplan wrote: »
    No way are we getting Turan.

Yeah I agree, would be a good signing though, exactly the kind of winger we should be looking to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SteakandKidney

P4DDY2K11 wrote:

He was speaking about getting his move from athleti to Barcelona and he said to himself to at the time that " if I play really well I get to sign with Barca and if I play well I maybe get to sign for arsenal". now it may well be the case in some respects but I think it shows a total lack of respect to publicise such thoughts. If I was managing a team of arsenals standing and I heard a comment like that I wouldn't take him on a free

He was speaking about getting his move from athleti to Barcelona and he said to himself to at the time that " if I play really well I get to sign with Barca and if I play well I maybe get to sign for arsenal". now it may well be the case in some respects but I think it shows a total lack of respect to publicise such thoughts. If I was managing a team of arsenals standing and I heard a comment like that I wouldn't take him on a free

Its reality though, they are a level above us. I'd be delighted if he signed for us tbh at any motivation level. He's quality and he's a leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Wenger has just confirmed that the moth that landed on Ronaldos face came from his wallet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Remember saying a few weeks back when Sissoko said he wanted to come to arsenal that he can **** off ....but on this showing i'd definitely have him doesn't even look the same player

He is quality. He is very Vieira like with his powerful running and breaking tackles etc. Best player on the park so far!

Why was he so poor for Newcastle last season can't figure it out at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Why was he so poor for Newcastle last season can't figure it out at all

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

When Sagna left us I felt his best years were well behind him, hard to believe he's still operating at this level. On saying that I also though Evra was finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He is quality. He is very Vieira like with his powerful running and breaking tackles etc. Best player on the park so far!

In fairness he's had more bad matches than good ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Sissoko knows full well that any half decent performance will see him move away from Newcastle, as it is hes most likely already secured a transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

That clip of Sissoko that went viral at the start of the Euros summed him up.

On the sideline doing the most half hearted warm up you could ever see, until he noticed the camera was on him and he frantically sprung into action. No thanks.

Probably is motivation but being managed by that Shhteve can't have helped and been surrounded by dross at Newcastle, when they signed him 1st he did have a good start with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Arsene needs to call up Griezmann and commiserate with him and make him an offer he can't refuse :D

If Carlsberg did transfers eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

wawaman wrote: »
    Wenger has just confirmed that the moth that landed on Ronaldos face came from his wallet

Stealing Keano's jokes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

gandalf wrote: »
    Arsene needs to call up Griezmann and commiserate with him and make him an offer he can't refuse :D

If Carlsberg did transfers eh!

Even though it would be an amazing signing, Giroud would still be our striker and our current problems would still persist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Even though it would be an amazing signing, Giroud would still be our striker and our current problems would still persist.

They would make a formidable partnership

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

This has possibly been raised already - But i'm seriously worried. Its a month away from our Liverpool match, Giroud will now go on 3 weeks holidays, he will come back, nowhere near match fit and will probably take another 3-4 weeks to get up to speed. So whats going to happen, Are we lining up with Walcot up front? Like surely if we were going to get a striker, we would be going for one asap, like we need to get someone integrated into the team asap, I feel like Liverpool, could absolutely spank us. And its going to be an uphill battle from there on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah we are going to be massively depleted for the first match against Liverpool. I reckon we will be missing Giroud, Koscielny, Ozil, Ramsey and Alexis for that game. Possibly even more. I know Liverpool and other teams are going to be in a similar situation, but it's not ideal. We had a slow start in 14/15 season after the World Cup, so I dread a similar situation this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Isaac Hayden gone to newcastle

greendom wrote: »
    They would make a formidable partnership

Against the likes of Ireland and Iceland yes but when it matters Giroud will let us down. A top striker is the most important position in football no matter how good our three behind him would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Against the likes of Ireland and Iceland yes but when it matters Giroud will let us down. A top striker is the most important position in football no matter how good our three behind him would be.

Eh, Griezmann is a top striker.

Not that we have the slightest chance of signing him in the first place.

Eh, Griezmann is a top striker.

Not that we have the slightest chance of signing him in the first place.

He is not a #9 that can play upfront by himself in the system we play. He plays as the second striker in a 4-4-2.

He is not a #9 that can play upfront by himself in the system we play. He plays as the second striker in a 4-4-2.

Hence Giroud. Don't tell me it wouldn't work when it has in the Euros so far, and more tellingly worked perfectly for Atletico with a worse striker than Giroud in Torres.

Although, you may be right in that Wenger might not opt for a 4-4-2 in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Hence Giroud. Don't tell me it wouldn't work when it has in the Euros so far, and more tellingly worked perfectly for Atletico with a worse striker than Giroud in Torres.

Although, you may be right in that Wenger might not opt for a 4-4-2 in the first place.

I don't think we'd be capable of a 4-4-2

You kind of need 3 in the middle these days, especially in the PL, Ozil would have no role in the middle and the 2 in the middle would need to be box to box work horses.

Ramsey and Wilshere fit the mould but they never seem to work well together.

I don't think we'd be capable of a 4-4-2

You kind of need 3 in the middle these days, especially in the PL, Ozil would have no role in the middle and the 2 in the middle would need to be box to box work horses.

Ramsey and Wilshere fit the mould but they never seem to work well together.

I would have thought Ramsey/Xhaka would work, based off what I've seen with Xhaka. Gets around, but is positionally disciplined enough to not leave holes.

Ozil is the big problem there though, needs to be in his best position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I would have thought Ramsey/Xhaka would work, based off what I've seen with Xhaka. Gets around, but is positionally disciplined enough to not leave holes.

Ozil is the big problem there though, needs to be in his best position.

True, but yes Ozil is the problem. He's wasted on the wing and having Ozil and not using him would be a sin.

I'd throw a bid at Lacazette and see what we could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

A 4-4-2 would suit Giroud but probably not many other players in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Anyone else think Giroud looked injured last night? Maybe injured is a bit strong but it looked like he was moving around a bit gingerly at times and I wonder was he trying to play through the pain (he did have a knee brace in the pictures after the semis against Germany in case anyone is wondering where I am getting this from).

If that is the case, I would be more worried about him being injured for Liverpool rather than just tired.

On the plus side though, it might force Wenger into buying some one.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Anyone else think Giroud looked injured last night? Maybe injured is a bit strong but it looked like he was moving around a bit gingerly at times and I wonder was he trying to play through the pain (he did have a knee brace in the pictures after the semis against Germany in case anyone is wondering where I am getting this from).

If that is the case, I would be more worried about him being injured for Liverpool rather than just tired.

He'll probably miss the Liverpool game regardless of whether he's injured or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It's a sad state of affairs if Wenger has to be forced into buying someone. Yet again we'll be left dick in hand when the transfer window shuts claiming no value in the market. Even the bargain basement option (Vardy) turned us down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

he did take a knock last night and you could see him grimacing a little after I thought. Kos played in a knee brace too and took quite a knock at the end of the match.

Isaac Hayden gone to newcastle

How is no English players able to break onto our first team from our academy when we were laden with English players in the 80s and 90s? Something seriously wrong here. Its not as if we are winning all round us and we've brought alot of crap over the years so standards couldnt be that high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The EPL doesn't start for nearly a month.
    Everyone should be back hale and hearty.
    Didn't see anyone get a serious injury during the Euros.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement