Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

The EPL doesn't start for nearly a month.
    Everyone should be back hale and hearty.
    Didn't see anyone get a serious injury during the Euros.

Yeah but we need as many excuses as possible for if something goes wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yeah but we need as many excuses as possible for if something goes wrong.

A couple of weeks holidays and then into full training mode for the league.
    Can't understand how lads can be tired from playing a few games of football.

I'm with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The EPL doesn't start for nearly a month.
    Everyone should be back hale and hearty.
    Didn't see anyone get a serious injury during the Euros.

players do need a break. Players that were playing yesterday have been playing without one for a year now - (bearing in mind when preseason started last season). I'd rather players come back properly rested and ready for the new season than have them lose form and fitness midway through next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ramsey doesn't think he'll be ready for the opener against the Pool, so I don't see the rest making it either: http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/687238/Arsenal-news-Aaron-Ramsey-Liverpool-Euro-2016-Premier-League-gossip-rumours

greendom wrote: »
    players do need a break. Players that were playing yesterday have been playing without one for a year now - (bearing in mind when preseason started last season). I'd rather players come back properly rested and ready for the new season than have them lose form and fitness midway through next season.

Yes a fortnight off and they should be raring to go.

L'prof wrote: »
    Ramsey doesn't think he'll be ready for the opener against the Pool, so I don't see the rest making it either: http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/687238/Arsenal-news-Aaron-Ramsey-Liverpool-Euro-2016-Premier-League-gossip-rumours

He wasn't injured and didn't play in their last game.
    He should have no excuses not to play.

The whole of July off for Ramsey, what more does he want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

He wasn't injured and didn't play in their last game.
    He should have no excuses not to play.
    The whole of July off for Ramsey, what more does he want?

:p They're not going to be rushed back lads. Hopefully have a full squad by the time they play Southampton at home on 10th Sept :mad:

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    :p They're not going to be rushed back lads. Hopefully have a full squad by the time they play Southampton at home on 10th Sept :mad:
    Ah nice, now even if we do sign someone and they're **** they'll be allowed to be **** til the end of September til they "bed in" with the lads coming back from their summer holidays.

Ah nice, now even if we do sign someone and they're **** they'll be allowed to be **** til the end of September til they "bed in" with the lads coming back from their summer holidays.

But then you have to factor in how long it will take the new player (s) to gel with the current ones even after they come back. Hopefully by December everyone will know eachother.

They should get 2 weeks off like the rest of us get. No more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

But then you have to factor in how long it will take the new player (s) to gel with the current ones even after they come back. Hopefully by December everyone will know eachother.

New players?? You're hopeful!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Apparently Alex Manninger has hit hard times and is signing for Liverpool. It's horrible when you see a player compromise themselves like this ;)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool-are-on-the-verge-of-adding-a-very-surprising-blast-from-the-past-to-their-squad-34874095.html

Who to trust? The (admittedly knowledgeably) Boards posters or the medical experts at Arsenal? Hmmm!

• Advertisement

Not actually sure if you're being serious.

Players need a minimum of a month off. Usually it works out to more than that because their fitness levels will drop off a bit and needs to be built back up.

The way you're carrying on, you'd think they were getting as much time off as a schoolteacher in Ireland :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Sure even playing amateur football I always found myself needing a month or two break from football in the summer to be fully recharged for the new season ahead, if not physically then mentally. I can only imagine how tough it is on the lads who play full time, and before anybody comes back with "there well paid for it", that doesnt make them any less human than the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Sure even playing amateur football I always found myself needing a month or two break from football in the summer to be fully recharged for the new season ahead, if not physically then mentally. I can only imagine how tough it is on the lads who play full time, and before anybody comes back with "there well paid for it", that doesnt make them any less human than the rest of us.

Doubt you had the tailored fitness plans, all the cardio ,fitness+sceintific equipment ,physios and daily massages :)
    A month off me hole

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Doubt you had the tailored fitness plans, all the cardio ,fitness+sceintific equipment ,physios and daily massages :)
    A month off me hole

That's why they get the time off.

Besides, why should someone like Theo get more than a month off, and someone who busts their gut like Ramsey or Sanchez can't?

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's why they get the time off.

Besides, why should someone like Theo get more than a month off, and someone who busts their gut like Ramsey or Sanchez can't?

Has Theo been linked with a move away yet? Can't stomach seen him in an Arsenal jersey for any longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Is Gianluca Di Marzio reliable at all? Seems to have a big Twitter following.

Anyway, he's claiming tonight that Arsenal want to do a deal with Napoli, cash + player exchange for Higuain, with Giroud going the other way. Also says Higuain rejected a move to China.

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/calciomercato/napoli-larsenal-pensa-ad-higuain-ce-stata-anche-unofferta-dalla-cina/

Could be nonsense, but slim pickings these days.

Anyway, he's claiming tonight that Arsenal want to do a deal with Napoli, cash + player exchange for Higuain, with Giroud going the other way. Also says Higuain rejected a move to China.

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/calciomercato/napoli-larsenal-pensa-ad-higuain-ce-stata-anche-unofferta-dalla-cina/

The Giroud leaving bit is a dead giveaway that this story is a pile of shíte. Couldnt imagine Wenger parting with Giroud somehow.

notsure-1.jpg

Oh you bastard getting my hopes up. Maybe they could throw in Walcott to "sweeten" the deal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Di Marzio is usually on the money with Italian based stories, no smoke without fire if Di Marzio is saying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

In for Rugani too according to Di Marzio but Juve said no. Higuain and Rugani, what a summer that would be.

gandalf wrote: »

Oh you bastard getting my hopes up. Maybe they could throw in Walcott to "sweeten" the deal :)

The mere mention of Walcott would actually sour the deal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

This isn't happening, can't see Wenger doing it. Sure, Higuain is a (large) upgrade, but we'd still only have one striker. He gets injured, back to square zero/walcott.

....give them Walcott instead ;)

We could paint a beard on Walcott and give him platform shoes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

gandalf wrote: »
    notsure-1.jpg

For us?

Ah, that's mean.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    The mere mention of Walcott would actually sour the deal :D

Napoli would probably never sell us any player ever again. We'd be blacklisted for all times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Our game of Sunday ball and what they're doing aren't the same game of football.

Ill give Ramsey his credit, he ran until he almost dropped against the Belgians. id be happy to give the boys a rest tbh. There is no point rushing them back and burning them out for the year. Ronaldo's injury last night was a sign of one game too many. Portugal to their credit came through some tough games. Love em or hate them they showed unbelievable resolve.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Our game of Sunday ball and what they're doing aren't the same game of football.

I often played Minor GAA on a Sat and Junior and Senior on a Sunday.
    Later in London I played two Sunday league games, one at 11 am and another at 3.30 pm. Great fun too.
    These boys don't have another job to go to either. Football is their job. Fitness should not really be an issue except in the case of a long injury and getting back into the pace of the game.

Ill give Ramsey his credit, he ran until he almost dropped against the Belgians. id be happy to give the boys a rest tbh. There is no point rushing them back and burning them out for the year. Ronaldo's injury last night was a sign of one game too many. Portugal to their credit came through some tough games. Love em or hate them they showed unbelievable resolve.

I was very impressed with their defence especially their right-back Cedric.

I was very impressed with their defence especially their right-back Cedric.

That young midfielder Sanches got ypott. A ball of class. Gone to Munich :(

Couldn't believe he was only 18. Strong and brave too when you compare with the likes of OX and Wally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Please Wenger just pay whatever napoli are asking. Higuain is the best available striker out there at the moment, we'd finally have a replacement for Van Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Definitely my favourite player of the tournament, played with such confidence for his age. Who better to learn from than Vidal and Alonso at Munich, has a bright future ahead of him.

Who to trust? The (admittedly knowledgeably) Boards posters or the medical experts at Arsenal? Hmmm!

Do we have any of those yet? :pac:

• Advertisement

Where were they when we signed Kallstrom? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I kind of expected this all summer but the Giroud thing is a bit of a surprise.

Higuain and us makes so much sense though. He wants England this summer, there's no other CL qualified team that need him. Utd and Chelsea don't need him.

Also if we got Giroud we'd need a second signing too!!!

gosplan wrote: »
    I kind of expected this all summer but the Giroud thing is a bit of a surprise.

Higuain and us makes so much sense though. He wants England this summer, there's no other CL qualified team that need him. Utd and Chelsea don't need him.

Also if we got Giroud we'd need a second signing too!!!

Giroud and Higuain are of a similar age so if this is true we would presumably also be on the look out for a younger striker. Not talking about a youth project but someone to go straight into the 1st team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

To be honest if the caveat to getting Higuain was to lose Giroud I'd be cool with that but at the same time sad to see him go love our Olly even if he does frustrate the **** out of us at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

To be honest if the caveat to getting Higuain was to lose Giroud I'd be cool with that but at the same time sad to see him go love our Olly even if he does frustrate the **** out of us at times

I'd be disappointed. Giroud is an excellent backup/squad option etc. At his age he may not see it that way which is fair enough.

But Wenger's been trying to replace him for years. Maybe he thinks the only way is to just get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I never believe these player exchange stories they just don't happen.

I would love Higuain but we need to keep Giroud too, we need quality options and back up. Higuain makes so much sense for the player and Arsenal if we could just get it done! I miss having an Henry, Ian Wright goal scoring machine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah Ideal situation we pay through the nose and be done with it and keep Giroud aswell its a long season ahead and if we realistically want to fight on all fronts we'll need both ....But in saying that if I was forced to pick one over the other that's where Giroud would lose for me and if it meant we could then go away and get a Draxler/Turan aswell it would definitely be worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Why do we do this to ourselves each summer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Why do we do this to ourselves each summer:)

As life always proves the chase is better than the kill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

One of the front page items on Gazzetta Dello Sport today reads:

'[font=verdana, arial]Higuain auction[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial]Arsenal offer 60m plus Giroud, no to Atletico[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial]Juve insist on El Pipita and marks Sanchez'[/font]

[font=verdana, arial]I doubt Napoli would ever sell to Juve. TuttoSport (based in Turin) also has a front page Arsenal item that reads 'For Higuain 60m plus Giroud!'[/font]

[font=verdana, arial]Gazzetta story is here: [/font]
    [font=verdana, arial]http://www.gazzetta.it/Calciomercato/11-07-2016/higuain-arsenal-giroud-60-milioni-ma-juve-flirta-col-pipita-marca-sanchez-160319088811.shtml[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

2013 was the time to get Higuain. It annoys me that we missed out on him a few years ago and seemingly still chasing him now.

If we're spending that sort of money we should look for somone younger like Griezmann.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement