Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We were insane not to. he was ripe for the picking. I mean a measly fúckin 4m.

Because of this I think Wenger will not go for him.
    It would be a big loss of face.

In actual fact I think it will be like last year. We will be linked with every striker but buy nobody. Posturing and a smoke screen to fool the fans again.
    We will end up starting with Giroud, Welbeck and Walcott as back-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Henry not taking up his role with the u18s. Wenger gave him a choice between punditry and full time commitment to the role and he wouldnt give up the punditry.

Tbh i find it a bit strange that he was given this ultimatum considering that Liam Brady the previous director of youth football was allowed to continue his punditry with RTE (albeit not as often as Henry is involved with Sky and Brady was based in Ireland)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36774864

I think its more he fact that he'd be talking about the Premier League every week. Even last year he said a few things about Wenger, Giroud etc. Like you can't really have him doing that, and coming into the training ground on Mondays. I don't know any other pundit that does that. Internationals are different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Henry not taking up his role with the u18s. Wenger gave him a choice between punditry and full time commitment to the role and he wouldnt give up the punditry.

Tbh i find it a bit strange that he was given this ultimatum considering that Liam Brady the previous director of youth football was allowed to continue his punditry with RTE (albeit not as often as Henry is involved with Sky and Brady was based in Ireland)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36774864

Wenger just did 5 weeks of punditry in France. Odd reasoning.

Wenger just did 5 weeks of punditry in France. Odd reasoning.

Wenger isn't employed by France.
    Henry was employed by Arsenal, but then went onto Sky and tried to critique them. Like its common sense for me. I don't know how anyone could disagree with Wenger on this one.
    I disagree with most of what he does :D but not this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah totally agree he's undermining Wenger on TV and he's supposed to be his boss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Adams and Ljungberg both have coaching roles at the club. If Thierry wanted it badly enough he could have given up the awful punditry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

greendom wrote: »
    Adams and Ljungberg both have coaching roles at the club. If Thierry wanted it badly enough he could have given up the awful pundit.

Chose money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Good players don't necessarily make good coaches or pundits so I wouldn't be too worried about Henry, or for that matter Arteta heading to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Henry is retired, he can do whatever he wants with his life now, if you had the choice of millions to sit down and watch a match once a week or the choice of a humble salary (in comparison) to put in a lot of time and hard work which one would you choose? Be honest with yourself.

He doesn't owe anything to the club, he's already given more than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I see West Ham could be landing Bacca, I'm a fan of his wouldn't mind Wenger taking a punt on him as back up. Wouldn't cost a whole lot either.

• Advertisement

Henry is retired, he can do whatever he wants with his life now, if you had the choice of millions to sit down and watch a match once a week or the choice of a humble salary (in comparison) to put in a lot of time and hard work which one would you choose? Be honest with yourself.

I would say the reverse is also true

Guys, Just looking at Memz Dogz tweets there and it dawned on me Joel is still at the club. Can he fulfill the striker role if called upon? Dont forget this young man was immense for Costa Rica at the last world cup.

Henry is doing his coaching badges though and needs to be coaching full time to achieve his full A licence. The fact he wouldnt give up punditry may indicate his overall commitment to coaching though tbf lucrative money had a say in it.

Perhaps this is why Wenger never kept Keown or Dixon on as coaches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Immense is a strong word. He was good

mansize wrote: »
    Immense is a strong word. He was good

He ran his legs off against Greece as the lone striker in one game and i rememeber admiring the maturity he played with

Ah the praise for running a lot.

Never got the myself. Prefer clever players like Ozil and Pires, who are often mislabelled as lazy

Ah the praise for running a lot.

Never got the myself. Prefer clever players like Ozil and Pires, who are often mislabelled as lazy

I like Ozil and Pires as much as the next man and each player brings their bit to a team whatever it may be. Still think its great to see a youngster putting in a trojan effort. Dont forget also he scored a few goals in that world cup too for an unfancied country.

I like Ozil and Pires as much as the next man and each player brings their bit to a team whatever it may be. Still think its great to see a youngster putting in a trojan effort. Dont forget also he scored a few goals in that world cup too for an unfancied country.

So did Robbie Brady in the Euros

So did Robbie Brady in the Euros

Fair point. Speak of Brady he was linked with Leicester recently. Raneiri's mother doing her scouting of Irish talent again no doubt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Campbell for me nearly always has a positive effect on the games he plays in.

Dunno why he doesn't get a proper go in the team.

• Advertisement

I'm imaging how well Theo Walcott would play on a rolling 30 day contract...

I'm imaging how well Theo Walcott would play on a rolling 30 day contract...

You serious? :eek: Thats all Campbell is on?

You serious? :eek: Thats all Campbell is on?

Don't know what Campbell's on just thinking how well Theo plays as his contract expires...

Don't know what Campbell's on just thinking how well Theo plays as his contract expires...

Twould make you sick. He didnt try a leg last year. A disgrace and Ox is another.

Twould make you sick. He didnt try a leg last year. A disgrace and Ox is another.

Ox is more consistent than Theo, but neither at a level Arsenal should be at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ox is more consistent than Theo

I agree if by that you mean Chamberlain is consistently shìt. At least Walcott actually has the ability to win a game and score a couple of goals every now and then.

What a horrid pair of players though.

Can't believe any fan would side with Henry in the pundit row tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I agree if by that you mean Chamberlain is consistently shìt. At least Walcott actually has the ability to win a game and score a couple of goals every now and then.

What a horrid pair of players though.

How many English players that wenger bought has actually worked out well!?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

He's not English (Ethiopian parents, German born and was playing underage for them but switched to America U20/U23 where he lived since age 9) although he will count as a homegrown player... Do you guys still have high hopes for Gedion Zelalem?

Now 19, spent last season on loan playing for rangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

He's not English (Ethiopian parents, German born and was playing underage for them but switched to America U20/U23 where he lived since age 9) although he will count as a homegrown player... Do you guys still have high hopes for Gedion Zelalem?

Now 19, spent last season on loan playing for rangers.

Definitely, still very young and has been highly praised while coming through the youth squads!

Just had a look at the 50 Greatest Players on the official site there. Decided to break them out by manager. Some impressive groups of players there!

Arsène Wenger|George Graham|Bertie Mee|Terry Neill|Billy Wright
    1: Thierry Henry|4: Ian Wright|8: Liam Brady|3: Tony Adams|24: John Radford
    6: Robert Pires|7: David Seaman|9: Charlie George|10: Pat Jennings|30: Frank McLintock
    11: Freddie Ljungberg|19: Ray Parlour|14: David O'Leary|23: Brian Talbot|39: Bob Wilson
    12: Marc Overmars|21: Lee Dixon|17: Pat Rice|28: Charlie Nicholas|40: George Armstrong
    13: Kanu |26: Paul Merson|35: Sammy Nelson|36: Kenny Sansom|50: Peter Storey
    15: Sol Campbell|27: Alan Smith|42: George Graham|44: Malcolm Macdonald
    22: Emmanuel Petit|32: Nigel Winterburn|45: Alan Ball|48: Tony Woodcock|
    25: Ashley Cole|37: Michael Thomas|47: Frank Stapleton
    29: Nicolas Anelka
    33: Sylvain Wiltord

Don Howe|Herbert Chapman|Bruce Rioch|George Swindin|Joe Shaw
    16: David Rocastle|18: Cliff Bastin|2: Dennis Bergkamp|41: George Eastham|31: Ted Drake
    20: Martin Keown|46: Alex James
    38: Steve Williams|49: David Jack

Phil Kelso|Stewart Houston|Tom Whittaker
    43: Andy Ducat|5: Patrick Vieira|34: Danny Clapton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Can't believe any fan would side with Henry in the pundit row tbf
    Would you expect him to give up £4M a year to go manage out U18s? I certainly wouldn't.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Would you expect him to give up £4M a year to go manage out U18s? I certainly wouldn't.

If he has ambitions to be a manager in years to come, then yes that's exactly what i'd expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

DeclanRe wrote: »
    If he has ambitions to be a manager in years to come, then yes that's exactly what i'd expect.
    He can still become a manager and be a pundit at the same time. You're making out as if he has to work for Arsenal to go down that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Lots of people rubbishing it but there's definitely something to this Arsenal Napoli Higuain Giroud thing.

It's a move that would benefit all parties as long as a price can be agreed on.

Napoli are obviously going to look for as much as they can but with time ticking away and Higuain publicly saying he's not extending, then they'll have to meet in the middle...unless some bananas club comes in and pays them a rediculous amount.

Then it's down to Wenger finally realising that a bird in the hand IS worth 2 in the bush. Stop planning for the future for once and take the top class striker when you have the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

gosplan wrote: »
    Lots of people rubbishing it but there's definitely something to this Arsenal Napoli Higuain Giroud thing.

It's a move that would benefit all parties as long as a price can be agreed on.

Napoli are obviously going to look for as much as they can but with time ticking away and Higuain publicly saying he's not extending, then they'll have to meet in the middle...unless some bananas club comes in and pays them a rediculous amount.

Then it's down to Wenger finally realising that a bird in the hand IS worth 2 in the bush. Stop planning for the future for once and take the top class striker when you have the chance.
    This is time to finally sort out our options up front. Strikers linked to clubs or moving everywhere this summer: Batshuayi, Ibra, Hulk, Pelle, Nolito, Janssen, Musa have already moved and just today Kevin Gameiro could be off to Atletico and Zaza to Wolfsburg. Hope we can jump into the fray with Higuain or failing that, trying to convert Draxler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Looks like Mertesacker is set to be named captain. A player we should be moving on never mind making captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I bet there was no story to begin with. The 'journalist' created the story and has now created a suitable 'out' for themselves so they aren't called out on their BS when the transfer doesn't go through. If its not in the Guardian (not the rumour mill) or the BBC I wouldn't pay any attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yep this is a load of bollocks why would they care if the news of the meeting got out sure if the fans see there actively going after a triple a signing they cut some slack don't see how the news coming out about a meeting damages wenger or the club barring alerting other clubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Initial contacts suggested Vardy and Higuain were gettable, at the expense of Giroud. Napoli wanted to wait until after the Euros to see how Giroud got on, so Arsenal tried to get an early agreement on Vardy. When that fell through, Napoli pushed for more in their deal so Wenger balked at the increase.

No sources yet, but if we all start posting it on twitter you should read about it in the Daily Mail by the weekend.

For once I'm glad Wenger didn't give a club what they wanted.

Nothing in the pipeline at all lads.

It's all being orchestrated to keep the fans fooled and have them thinking we are actually in the market for a striker when the truth is we're not.

I told you all last night we will have Giroud, Welbeck and Wally as our strikers at the start of the new season.

Looks like Mertesacker is set to be named captain. A player we should be moving on never mind making captain.

Christ. But there was no obvious successor. A 1 year captain I expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's all being orchestrated to keep the fans fooled and have them thinking we are actually are in the market for a striker when the truth is we're not.

I told you all last night we will have Giroud, Welbeck and Wally as our strikers at the start of the new season.

If Welbeck were fit I would be inclined to agree with you. The fact that he is out for 9 months means that a first team forward will be purchased

It's all being orchestrated to keep the fans fooled and have them thinking we are actually in the market for a striker when the truth is we're not.

Could be right, could be wrong, important to note though we won't have Welbeck for a long time...

But but but but but ..... we had no cover before and bought nobody.

Christ. But there was no obvious successor. A 1 year captain I expect

Kosc should be our Captain

Kosc should be our Captain

He doesn't strike me as the guy who would like to be captain. Seems quite introvert.

He's a great player but not sure he'd like the captains role

He doesn't strike me as the guy who would like to be captain. Seems quite introvert.

He's a great player but not sure he'd like the captains role

As opposed to the extroverted Mertesacker?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement