Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

As opposed to the extroverted Mertesacker?

Mertesacker seems to be well liked and well respected within the squad. If you dont have an obvious leader on the pitch that seems to me to be the best choice for a captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

14505557797_9043c347d7_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Mertesacker seems to be well liked and well respected within the squad. If you dont have an obvious leader on the pitch that seems to me to be the best choice for a captain.

He's not a leader, he's far from it. You take language away and the only leaders we see on the pitch are Kos and Sanchez, make one of them Captain not some giraffe who can't stand up for himself nevermind his teammates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Nothing in the pipeline at all lads.

It's all being orchestrated to keep the fans fooled and have them thinking we are actually in the market for a striker when the truth is we're not.

I told you all last night we will have Giroud, Welbeck and Wally as our strikers at the start of the new season.

Jesus, all this negativity will kill you tayto.

Look at the facts (fachts):

Wenger himself said we need 3 first teamers. We've bought one so far.

We've already tried to sign a striker. Sure, it didn't work out, so you think he's just going to give up?

The amount of ****e thrown around in this thread would drive ya mad. There's no grand Arsenal conspiracy to keep fans having false hope, like what would that achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Cech or Ramsey for me. Unsure would Sanchez's temperament suit captain. Kos is far too passive in my opinion. Has to be a player who starts every game though, not sure what the point was in Arteta being captain last year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nothing in the pipeline at all lads.

It's all being orchestrated to keep the fans fooled and have them thinking we are actually in the market for a striker when the truth is we're not.

I told you all last night we will have Giroud, Welbeck and Wally as our strikers at the start of the new season.

In fairness to Arsenal and Arsene, I doubt very much that they'd bother their hole trying to make it look like we're going to buy anyone when the press does it so well for them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Jesus, all this negativity will kill you tayto.

Look at the facts (fachts):

Wenger himself said we need 3 first teamers. We've bought one so far.

We've already tried to sign a striker. Sure, it didn't work out, so you think he's just going to give up?

The amount of ****e thrown around in this thread would drive ya mad. There's no grand Arsenal conspiracy to keep fans having false hope, like what would that achieve?

Can't thank enough.

gosplan wrote: »
    Can't thank enough.

Nothing directed specifically at Tayto or anything. Just mean that this thread is overcome with negativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Nothing directed specifically at Tayto or anything. Just mean that this thread is overcome with negativity.

Thats so negative gos. GAWWWWD....

• Advertisement

So brighten it up instead of moaning about it

So brighten it up instead of moaning about it

There's something going on between us and Napoli for Higuain. He's the best possible player available to us and would represent an amazing summer.

mercutio-forever-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Tayto is right though and I wouldn't be too hopeful of top striker coming in either. They won't pay the money that Napoli will be demanding for Higuain. We have bought a Japanese Striker which is earmarked for the future. To buy an upgrade for Giroud or even somebody on a par with him, will cost the club a record transfer fee. I really don't see that happening, would love to be wrong though.

Arsenal fans are within their right to be negative about transfers and transfer windows in general. You just have to look at the previous 5 years or so to see why.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Arsenal fans are within their right to be negative about transfers and transfer windows in general. You just have to look at the previous 5 years or so to see why.

The last 5 years where we've absolutely smashed our transfer fee record?

CatInABox wrote: »

And ignored glaring holes in our team which we continue to do and lost some top top players and missed out on some of the best players in the world because of a few million quid and panic bought sh1t players etc etc etc

Yeah bought Ozil and Sanchez, but had missing pieces in the rest of the team. Ozil was basically the only first team player we bought that summer bar Flamini on a free transfer. He was also bought in the 11th hour.

The summer Sanchez was bought, we basically had only 6 first team defenders for 4 positions in the squad. Debuchy, Mert, Kos, Gibbs, Monreal and Chambers. This was before Bellerin was anywhere close to getting a game.

We have bought Xhaka for around our transfer record too, doesn't mean it would be a great window either, if it closed today. My point is, we rarely go into a season happy with the squad, there is always a missing piece or two. I think that's why a lot of our fans and this thread can be negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

It's fairly rare than any team gets all the players they need in 1 transfer window though - Chelsea almost did so 2 years ago, but even the new spine they created (GK, CM, DMC, MC and ST) was bought over 2 windows and not 1.

It's a very competitive market out there, and fee / willingness to spend isnt the only factor.

Tayto is right though and I wouldn't be too hopeful of top striker coming in either. They won't pay the money that Napoli will be demanding for Higuain. We have bought a Japanese Striker which is earmarked for the future. To buy an upgrade for Giroud or even somebody on a par with him, will cost the club a record transfer fee. I really don't see that happening, would love to be wrong though.

If you can't be hopeful in the middle of a transfer window when your club is actively looking for a striker AND you're all on zero points in the league, then supporting a club probably isn't a worthwhile endeavour.

I mean if you can't be hopeful now, then what's the point of it all?

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If there's no signs of us getting anybody by the time the season starts, then anger is justified. Losing your **** while there's a month before we even play any games is just silly.

If you can't be hopeful in the middle of a transfer window when your club is actively looking for a striker AND you're all on zero points in the league, then supporting a club probably isn't a worthwhile endeavour.

I mean if you can't be hopeful now, then what's the point of it all?

giphy.gif

Ah I'm not panicking just yet and am still hopeful. When the season kicks off I'll be as positive as anyone and be optimistic about putting in a title challenge. The heart says it but the head thinks otherwise. Just frustrated that it appears Wenger doesn't always give himself the best chance to win.

Last summer and the last few months of last season would scar any fan tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

So we're not even half way through July and people are freaking out. The suggestion that Wenger won't buy any more players is absolute madness, I think Wenger has finally broken some of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If there's no signs of us getting anybody by the time the season starts, then anger is justified. Losing your **** while there's a month before we even play any games is just silly.

This. I think it's important to get new signings in before preseason starts to be honest. Some players can take a long time to settle. If transfers drag out until deadline day then they've missed all of pre season and the 1st 3 league games. Wenger might try to introduce them in to the 1st team slowly or they mightn't adjust to the league as quickly as we'd all hope. You could be looking at 25-33% of the season gone before new players hit form and sometimes that's a minimum. That side of it really drives me mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Knowing Arsenal, I suspect whilst they won't pay 79 million for him, they are secretly trying to negotiate a deal for his right leg. It will probably end up that we're offered his left in a cut down deal involving a swap for the whole of Theo, but ssssshh, this is top secret & comes from a very reliable source down the pub

Andip wrote: »
    Knowing Arsenal, I suspect whilst they won't pay 79 million for him, they are secretly trying to negotiate a deal for his right leg. It will probably end up that we're offered his left in a cut down deal involving a swap for the whole of Theo, but ssssshh, this is top secret & comes from a very reliable source down the pub

The Giroud thing makes sense if you think of crazy valuations.

Wenger knows that in today's market he has to pay a lot for Higuain, like somewhere in the 50 million or so range.

But then Napoli say 'no he costs 80'

So what does Wenger do except say 'well in that case Giroud costs 50 ... So I'll give you him plus 30'

But make no mistake, he's only worth 80 million if someone comes out and offers that. Napoli are basically saying 'well if decent strikers cost 30, then surely Higuain costs 80'. But that only makes sense if people like PSG are in for him. There's a lot of clubs that can spend 30 million now on a player but that doesn't mean 80 is somehow an easier valuation to meet.

Napoli have to be realistic and they'll know that if they wait, he'll have a year left after the season and whatever they get for him will have to be spent on replacing him. Giroud plus enough to buy another player is not a bad offer for someone who you'll get 12 months max from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Not a chance that Giroud is leaving as any part of a player+cash deal, this isnt a computer game. Cant believe that people think this may happen. Wenger hasnt invested this much time and faith in Giroud to use him as a bargaining chip for someone else

wonga77 wrote: »
    Not a chance that Giroud is leaving as any part of a player+cash deal, this isnt a computer game. Cant believe that people think this may happen. Wenger hasnt invested this much time and faith in Giroud to use him as a bargaining chip for someone else

Afaik Wenger has tried to replace Giroud as the main striker with Gervinho, Sanogo, Podolski, Alexis, Walcott and Welbeck. And technically Higuain and Suarez too I guess.

I'm not saying the deal is guaranteed or even happening but he's been trying to replace him for years.

I don't think Wenger is sold on Giroud at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Also if there wasn't anything in it Higuiain would not have turned down the massive offer from China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

meh, maybe its just me but I dont see us getting Higuian, and in the offchance we do then I certainly would like to keep Giroud all the same. Wellbeck is out long term and Walcott is a bag of sh1t. Dont know if Sanogo is still on the books but last I remember he was flunking at Charlton. Dont know anything about Asano but we shouldnt expect too much going on similar signings from the past

I see Sanchez is expected to miss the start of the season according to some of the papers tonight. Will our front three against Liverpool consist of Walcott, Chamberlain and Campbell/Wilshere/Iwobi?

Xhakas first day at Arsenal Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Giroud was always the No2 striker. Podolski was the great white hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Looks like Mertesacker is set to be named captain. A player we should be moving on never mind making captain.

It would be typical Wenger doing that. Selecting a captain tht isnt even guaranteed his starting position. Absolute joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Also if there wasn't anything in it Higuiain would not have turned down the massive offer from China

Some players reject Chinese offers no matter how good these are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ramsey showed himself to be a real leader for Wales this Summer. I think he should be our captain. Perhaps he will be when Mert isn't playing

greendom wrote: »
    Ramsey showed himself to be a real leader for Wales this Summer. I think he should be our captain. Perhaps he will be when Mert isn't playing

I would really love Ramsey to be captain. He leads by example, always gives 100%.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of people who would prefer him not to be in the starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Yeah bought Ozil and Sanchez, but had missing pieces in the rest of the team. Ozil was basically the only first team player we bought that summer bar Flamini on a free transfer. He was also bought in the 11th hour.

The summer Sanchez was bought, we basically had only 6 first team defenders for 4 positions in the squad. Debuchy, Mert, Kos, Gibbs, Monreal and Chambers. This was before Bellerin was anywhere close to getting a game.

We have bought Xhaka for around our transfer record too, doesn't mean it would be a great window either, if it closed today. My point is, we rarely go into a season happy with the squad, there is always a missing piece or two. I think that's why a lot of our fans and this thread can be negative.
    You're looking at it from a purely objective perspective. The pessimism comes from experience. The lack of hope is the result of years of similar events, where we seemed like we were on top of things, but let things unravel and ultimately did nothing. Take the summer we were linked with Suarez, then Higuain, and then bought no one. Or the times we finally fixed one long-term problem area, but didn't address the others.

wonski wrote: »
    Some players reject Chinese offers no matter how good these are.

The reasons I think there's something in it are

1: we're in the market for a striker
    2: Giroud's agent commenting
    3: BBC story

3 is really the big one for me as the BBC don't make stuff up like the rest.

But I agree that no way in hell are we paying 80 million.

But then neither is anyone else so he's not really an 80 million player.

Be very surprised if a proper move isn't made for Higuain or Lacazette at some point soon.

In terms of pure goals to games ratio, I believe both of those are in the top six in Euorope over the last couple of years. The other 4 are totally ungettable by us.

Positivity people!!!!!!

The reasons I think there's something in it are

1: we're in the market for a striker
    2: Giroud's agent commenting
    3: BBC story

3 is really the big one for me as the BBC don't make stuff up like the rest.

But I agree that no way in hell are we paying 80 million.

But then neither is anyone else so he's not really an 80 million player.

Be very surprised if a proper move isn't made for Higuain or Lacazette at some point soon.

In terms of pure goals to games ratio, I believe both of those are in the top six in Euorope over the last couple of years. The other 4 are totally ungettable by us.

Positivity people!!!!!!

I'd say definitely something in it, but I can't see us paying €80m and given the fact that Chelsea are also in for a striker with Morata bid rebuffed, I'd say we would have competition in any event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I be shocked if come the Liverpool game we haven't at least signed a top class CB and ST by then, the balls on Wenger to go into a season not having made the team stronger is mind boggling to me. Plus if he comes out of the Liverpool game with a defeat at home, the place will erupt.

I expected this summer to be Wenger's time to go out and mean business but yet again we're hearing stories of him wraggling and trying to buy on the cheap. He won't get away with "no value in the market" excuses any more, show some ambition and get us back up where we belong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I see Sanchez is expected to miss the start of the season according to some of the papers tonight. Will our front three against Liverpool consist of Walcott, Chamberlain and Campbell/Wilshere/Iwobi?

Plus with Giroud, Kos, Ramsey and Ozil not playing. With that front three, you can see the fans just crapping on it when things go wrong. How is Wenger getting away with this, are we supposed to be a big club or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Hi guys,

Something away from transfers. My young fella is getting seriously into football so I am thinking of trying to bring him to a match next season. I was a red member or maybe silver (did that exist or am I dreaming it) many years ago and had a TRS membership no. for tickets etc. but that expired.

So I am wondering. I am going to get a red membership for myself in order to try to get the odd match ticket but should I register the young fella as a junior member? WIll that improve his chances of getting junior tickets etc? Or would it improve the chance of family tickets etc?

Thanks for the help,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

DenMan wrote: »

I was really sad to see him go, I just don't think he's at a good enough level anymore for us to justify bringing him back. We need a seriously good CB to partner Kos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Apparently Campbell has been told to find another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Good for him. I hope he finds a good club that actually fúcking play him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

I was really sad to see him go, I just don't think he's at a good enough level anymore for us to justify bringing him back. We need a seriously good CB to partner Kos.

True but I'd rather have Vermaelen there with him than Mertesacker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Prick move by Wenger if true. What a quality player, his attitude on the pitch was immense it was clear he was playing his bollocks off for a place yet wasters like Walcott and Chamberlain got their game over him.

Hopefully he goes on to have a great career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Prick move by Wenger if true. What a quality player, his attitude on the pitch was immense it was clear he was playing his bollocks off for a place yet wasters like Walcott and Chamberlain got their game over him.

Hopefully he goes on to have a great career.

Agree with Walcott and Ox being wasters but wasn't a quality player, average at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Agree with Walcott and Ox being wasters but wasn't a quality player, average at best

Neither here nor there, "average" still better than what Walcott and ox give. Campbell is the type of guy who would run through a brick wall for you. Walcott on the other hand... What game was it where he jumped out of the tackle, the really embarrassing one. Spurs?

Lots of the Italian media saying Higuain is off to Juve now. You couldnt make this up. Asano will end up staying and in the first team squad.

Lots of the Italian media saying Higuain is off to Juve now. You couldnt make this up. Asano will end up staying and in the first team squad.

Will Napoli sell to Juve.....I guess maybe if the money is right, but I can't imagine it's a happy choice

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement