Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

greendom wrote: »
    We have Xhaka, Coquelin and Elneny. We really have no need for Kante, even though I really like him. Much rather that money went towards a couple of strikers and a CB.

^This^

Nail on the head Greendom. It appears, that while we're all a small bit frustrated at the lack of clear signings in the striker deoartment, some people will have melt downs when any other BPL club signs a good player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Is it just me that had ruled Kante out once Xhaka had been signed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

greendom wrote: »
    We have Xhaka, Coquelin and Elneny. We really have no need for Kante, even though I really like him. Much rather that money went towards a couple of strikers and a CB.

I agree. I was merely saying Kante is a much better player than Coquelin. Judging by Wengers record in the transfer market, I will be stunned if he signs 2 more first team players even tho we need 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

L'prof wrote: »
    Is it just me that had ruled Kante out once Xhaka had been signed?
    No. Me too.
    Only difference is I ruled out any other meaningful signings given Wenger's history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Kante is much better than Coq.

But playing Kante AND Xhaka would be nuts. You'd basically be down to four attackers on the pitch.

He worked really well for Leicester last season but they were riding a wave and their chance conversion was totally unsustainable.

Really you'd need an awful lot of clinical firepower or signing Kante would just be a backwards step.

It's hard to know what Wenger's thinking is but you'd hope he's trying to replicate the Arteta/Ramsey central combination though with a tougher, more disclipined player in the Arteta role. I mean, for a brief while a couple of years back, Ramsey was the best CMF in the league and just couldn't stop scoring. We have to try and get back to that.

I think at this stage you could look at Caz being phased out and our central pairing being Xhaka/Rambo with Coq/Elneny as backup.

Though for the start of the season it'll be something like...

Xhaka
    Elneny
    Iwobi - Caz - ???
    ???

We just need more goals though. But I think at this stage Wenger knows this.

I'd fully expect a move for Higuain, Lacazette or Bacca to happen soon. Otherwise we may be looking for an alternate Sanchez on the other wing who could chip in with a lot of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Id love to be as positive as you Gosplan but im still not confident of getting Higuain, I just cannot see the club parting with the kind of money being mentioned. If you are to believe the reports, then Napoli want 90 or so million for him. Not a hope we are going that high, Id be gobsmacked if we even spent 65 million on him. It just doesnt seem like something Wenger would do

I hope im wrong though...

wonga77 wrote: »
    Id love to be as positive as you Gosplan but im still not confident of getting Higuain, I just cannot see the club parting with the kind of money being mentioned. If you are to believe the reports, then Napoli want 90 or so million for him. Not a hope we are going that high, Id be gobsmacked if we even spent 65 million on him. It just doesnt seem like something Wenger would do

I hope im wrong though...
    This is the thing though, if he wants to leave and he wants to join Arsenal, then it won't be 90 million for him, it will be a lot less. Paper won't refuse ink, and I think the cost of Higuain is greatly exaggerated by the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Well I guess he's stating the obvious, so who really cares? I guess you could say that it means he's not planning on selling anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/754295455719297024

Probably bull****, and I really don't want to lose Giroud, but...

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/754295455719297024

Probably bull****, and I really don't want to lose Giroud, but...

I know it only leaves us with one striker again but at least it would be a world class one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Getting Higuin would be excellent but letting Ollie go is madness so that means our back up is Wally and the Japanese lad

Crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

smilerf wrote: »
    Getting Higuin would be excellent but letting Ollie go is madness so that means our back up is Wally and the Japanese lad

Crazy

Asano was bought to be loaned out he won't be near the first 11 or bench this season.

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

The idea of Higuain makes me very happy. Getting rid of Giroud to do it makes me very sad.

Such a stupid move if it happens. We need to have both of them if we're to go to the next level.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Asano was bought to be loaned out he won't be near the first 11 or bench this season.
    so our options are Wally or Sanchez maybe Campbell if he stays
    Icardi. For me would be a good buy but at the right price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

gosplan wrote: »
    Kante is much better than Coq.

But playing Kante AND Xhaka would be nuts. You'd basically be down to four attackers on the pitch.

He worked really well for Leicester last season but they were riding a wave and their chance conversion was totally unsustainable.

Really you'd need an awful lot of clinical firepower or signing Kante would just be a backwards step.

It's hard to know what Wenger's thinking is but you'd hope he's trying to replicate the Arteta/Ramsey central combination though with a tougher, more disclipined player in the Arteta role. I mean, for a brief while a couple of years back, Ramsey was the best CMF in the league and just couldn't stop scoring. We have to try and get back to that.

I think at this stage you could look at Caz being phased out and our central pairing being Xhaka/Rambo with Coq/Elneny as backup.

Though for the start of the season it'll be something like...

Xhaka
    Elneny
    Iwobi - Caz - ???
    ???

We just need more goals though. But I think at this stage Wenger knows this.

I'd fully expect a move for Higuain, Lacazette or Bacca to happen soon. Otherwise we may be looking for an alternate Sanchez on the other wing who could chip in with a lot of goals.

Can't see Cazorla being phased out and I really hope he isn't. Unfortunately if he plays that means Ramsey is on the wing which is a waste to be fair. Gonna be interesting to see how/if Wenger can get the balance right in midfield with these players.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Can't see Cazorla being phased out and I really hope he isn't. Unfortunately if he plays that means Ramsey is on the wing which is a waste to be fair. Gonna be interesting to see how/if Wenger can get the balance right in midfield with these players.

Cazorla's great but he's 31. I'd expect to see 2 of he, Rambo and Ozil playing in each game this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

x PyRo wrote: »
    The idea of Higuain makes me very happy. Getting rid of Giroud to do it makes me very sad.

Such a stupid move if it happens. We need to have both of them if we're to go to the next level.

As much as I hate the sight of Giroud he's definitely too good to be sitting on the bench behind Higuain. If he had more to his game (ability to play out wide) then he'd be kept but he doesn't and when it comes to a choice between Higuain and Giroud well there ain't no choice to be made really.

The 50m +Giroud suits everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Basil3 wrote: »

That mean Matic available?

• Advertisement

That mean Matic available?

Mikel, more likely :D

Mikel, more likely :D

Mikel and Kalou.....:P Make it happen Arsene (i shouldnt joke)

Not sure if this image was posted yet but perhaps Arsene is being a bit more proactive then we think ;)

CnBoQm7WcAAVQpB.jpg

Lads are strikers in the league you would take a chance on?
    Sahko or Berahino for me

smilerf wrote: »
    Lads are strikers in the league you would take a chance on?
    Sahko or Berahino for me

Wouldnt have Saido the shíthead near the club. A woeful attitude.

The Greek Manolas rumoured to be available. Very good centre half. On a very small wage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Any idea who our new captain will be? Hardly Merstesacker?

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Any idea who our new captain will be? Hardly Merstesacker?
    Ramsey I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Not sure if this image was posted yet but perhaps Arsene is being a bit more proactive then we think ;)

CnBoQm7WcAAVQpB.jpg

Can you sign my autograph book for me Antoine?

Autograph book? It's looks more like a contract to me Mr Wenger!

Yes, everyone says that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

As much as I hate the sight of Giroud he's definitely too good to be sitting on the bench behind Higuain. If he had more to his game (ability to play out wide) then he'd be kept but he doesn't and when it comes to a choice between Higuain and Giroud well there ain't no choice to be made really.

The 50m +Giroud suits everyone.

The problem there though is that it's almost a step back to van Persi and Chamakh. When van Persi was playing it was fantastic but when he got injured the only back up was Chamakh.

Giroud will get us 15-20 goals a season which is exactly what we need as backup or on the bench. If it takes Huguain (or whoever else) time to settle we have a decent backup on the bench, and we are not relying on another Chamakh equivalent.

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    The problem there though is that it's almost a step back to van Persi and Chamakh. When van Persi was playing it was fantastic but when he got injured the only back up was Chamakh.

Giroud will get us 15-20 goals a season which is exactly what we need as backup or on the bench. If it takes Huguain (or whoever else) time to settle we have a decent backup on the bench, and we are not relying on another Chamakh equivalent.

All true but with RVP and Chamakh, we probably would have won one of the last 2 leagues.

Have to laugh at this thread. Going from "Giroud is crap, we need to upgrade to a WC striker ASAP" to "Wenger is crazy if he gets rid of Giroud, we need to keep him"!!!

Love him or loath him, OG has been a great player for us, and is far too good to be a number 2! 50 million euros for GH is good business, IF IT'S TRUE!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Plus I honestly would not be surprised if Giroud didn't wanna be a back up player and wanted first team football especially (but not just for this reason) so as to stay as France's starting striker.

If I was an Arsenal fan sure I would like him to stay but I wouldn't expect OG to wanna be on the bench most of the time and I would be very happy if they could upgrade him to Higuain. Ideally you could get another striker too, someone who would be happy to be rotated but I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised if this does not happen and the backup strikers are Walcott & Welbeck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Also reading more Mahrez links to Arsenal since he rejected a new contract at Leicster and (terrible source I know) according to Goal Arsenal have inquired about Manolas at Roma.

Apparently now that the Euros are over Kosc is back discussing a contract extension but talk of Bayern interest is also convieniently popping up now (but the story goes they want him as back up to Hummels & Boateng and I doubt he'd want that).

The Bacca links are still about and despite his age in the current climate the fee being mentioned for him isn't actually too bad

I'm amazed.

If we sign Higuain this place should be going mental.

There's clearly something up but people would rather complain about bad captain choices or players not being ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm amazed.

If we sign Higuain this place should be going mental.

There's clearly something up but people would rather complain about bad captain choices or players not being ready.

I don't normally bother with transfer nonsense.

Is there actually anything to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Also reading more Mahrez links to Arsenal since he rejected a new contract at Leicster and (terrible source I know) according to Goal Arsenal have inquired about Manolas at Roma.

Apparently now that the Euros are over Kosc is back discussing a contract extension but talk of Bayern interest is also convieniently popping up now (but the story goes they want him as back up to Hummels & Boateng and I doubt he'd want that).

The Bacca links are still about and despite his age in the current climate the fee being mentioned for him isn't actually too bad

No chance we'll sign Bacca

On another note is anyone heading over to the 1st game against the 'pool

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I don't normally bother with transfer nonsense.

Is there actually anything to this?

I think so.

No-one would make up the Giroud swap rumour. It's such a random unlikely thing that it has to be true.

Then Giroud's agent came out and actually talked about it. Big sign I think.

Napoli played hardball over price. Rumours of Juve helped.

Now I reckon Wenger has made a firm offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

who is our new captain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think so.

No-one would make up the Giroud swap rumour. It's such a random unlikely thing that it has to be true.

Then Giroud's agent came out and actually talked about it. Big sign I think.

Napoli played hardball over price. Rumours of Juve helped.

Now I reckon Wenger has made a firm offer.

It's so random how you see it all. We see player exchanges and links every year and you just decide this is true!

Rags would make up any rumour for a click.

People can piss and Moan and others can be overly positive but reality is everyone is just guessing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Seems very difficult to get the Arseamerica podcast on android.

Can anyone help with a link or something?

Stupid summer post Euros podcast drought.

Soups123 wrote: »
    It's so random how you see it all. We see player exchanges and links every year and you just decide this is true!

Rags would make up any rumour for a click.

People can piss and Moan and others can be overly positive but reality is everyone is just guessing

Granted. We're also linked with Bacca, Mahrez and Draxler.

I don't think there's anything to those stories.

Like I said the other day, when Giroud's agent and the BBC start talking about it, that kind of changes things.

Edit:
    But yes, this is my interpretation of things. Also even if we are fully in for him, that doesn't mean we're getting him.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Seems very difficult to get the Arseamerica podcast on android.

Can anyone help with a link or something?

Stupid summer post Euros podcast drought.

From their twitter bio:
    ArseAmerica Podcast
    @ArseAmerica
    Created by @christoronyi. Subscribe on iTunes & @Stitcher Radio. Stream, download, RSS at site & also avail at http://acast.com , http://podbean.com and http://podbay.com .

So just download the Stitcher or acast app from the play store, search for arseamerica, and follow. They haven't done anything since May, as far as I can see, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Strong rumours that it's going to be Mert...although others are looking to Ramsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

It still annoys me that they missed out on Higuain a couple of years back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Barlett wrote: »

Suarez still haunts me.

Barlett wrote: »

Only because he's done well?

Would be interesting if we had signed him, and therefore not Ozil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Only because he's done well?

Would be interesting if we had signed him, and therefore not Ozil.

Higuain was always going to do well. I'm happy we bought Ozil but he was always a curious luxury buy. His wasn't really a priority position, compared to our (somehow still ongoing) need for a striker.

Di Marzio ( who has been rubbish for Arsenal news) saying that we are meeting Icardis representatives next week. Would be an excellent signing.

Suarez still haunts me.

Suarez was never a runner

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement