Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yup, I know. It got me interested. I looked up his stats, and for a pure goalscorer, he doesn't hit the target very often.

Example, last season. Only 2 shots per 90 minutes, and only 1 of them on target. 1 shot on target per match....Giroud has double the shots, and double on target.

I'd more look at accuracy and conversion rate than sheer volume of shots.

If we're saying 2 shots per game, then he has a 25% conversion rate which would be super with us.

gosplan wrote: »
    I'd more look at accuracy and conversion rate than sheer volume of shots.

If we're saying 2 shots per game, then he has a 25% conversion rate which would be super with us.

Yeah, it's a good ratio. Just needs to be shooting a lot more, otherwise he won't get 20 in a season. Maybe Ozil can help with that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We're not getting Higuain, so at this stage I think Icardi is probably our best option. And lets face it, nobody wants us to start another season with just Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

[quote=tipp_[/QUOTE]

There is no point having useless unreliable players on the bench either.[/quote]

Amen to that.

Fergie always had his subs bursting to get on the pitch to impress him. Don't see the same motivation in the Arsenal players.

keano_afc wrote: »
    We're not getting Higuain, so at this stage I think Icardi is probably pur best option. And lets face it, nobody wants us to start another season with just Giroud.

You'll be very surprised at the support Giroud gets in this forum.

Don't understand it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Gas fans! A wife of a footballer tweets from London (allegedly) and this thread goes into meltdown.

A couple of things.

1) Any person can change their location details on a tweet!

2) she's probably just doing it to drive a better deal from his current club.

Lastly, as I don't really know if Icardi is any good, but if we can't get the top class fellas we need, then at least a good option instead of Giroud is certainly most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm not against Giroud. I happen to think he's a bloody good player. But not having a viable alternative is mismanagement. We've suffered for too long, there is no reason why we should be starting yet another season with just him leading our line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I really like Giroud and I don't understand why so many under-estimate him. He does need another striker to compete with him/play alongside him/replace him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I think nearly all of us in here think Giroud is a good striker but his biggest problem is the boots he had to fill. When you compare him to the strikers before him - RVP, Henry, Anelka, Wright - he's just not in their league. And that's not his fault but it might explain the fan's frustration. As Wenger once said, if you eat caviar every day it's difficult to return to sausages.

• Advertisement

Not saying its going to happen but for me if we bought Icardi over Higuain it would make more sense in terms of longer term and sell on value.

Sure Higuain is probably a better player and we should have went for him back in 2013, but at this stage, Icardi could develop more as he has a bit of youth on his side and we could get better value out of him over the next three seasons and sell him at a profit if he goes well. Wages probably wouldnt be as high either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

As Wenger once said, if you eat caviar every day it's difficult to return to sausages.

Never had caviar before, but I think I'd prefer sausages!
    Sure Higuain is probably a better player and we should have went for him back in 2013, but at this stage, Icardi could develop more as he has a bit of youth on his side and we could get better value out of him over the next three seasons and sell him at a profit if he goes well. Wages probably wouldnt be as high either.

Selling on players for profit should no longer be thought of as a positive. At this stage Arsenal should be holding on to all their best players!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Not saying its going to happen but for me if we bought Icardi over Higuain it would make more sense in terms of longer term and sell on value.

This is so depressing to read!

itsjaybud wrote: »

I think its better to have a player of sell on value after two seasons if you are forking out big money for him though tbh irregardless of the longevity of his term at Arsenal. If its short term its better that we are able to make a bit of money on him. His age is an advantage in this regard.

L'prof wrote: »
    Selling on players for profit should no longer be thought of as a positive. At this stage Arsenal should be holding on to all their best players!
    I don't see the need to sell players on at a profit all the time but it's annoying seeing that we only ever seem to let players go at the end of contracts or when they retire lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

If this is Wengers last season (don't know yet though) than he should just buy the best striker that he can and look at it in a short term view, to go all out this season and try to win one last league title. It's an awful lot of money to pay, but Wenger deserves to treat himself for once and not worry about longevity and sell on value.

He could sign a new contract I suppose, I'm sure we will find out either way soon enough.

• Advertisement

I don't see the need to sell players on at a profit all the time but it's annoying seeing that we only ever seem to let players go at the end of contracts or when they retire lately.

I genuinely have no issue with this whatsoever! Even when they were selling all their best players, they never seemed to be able to get crazy money for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

My worry is that Chelsea are not done yet in the striker market and can outbid us for anyone. They still haven't given up on Morata at this point so if the Icardi link is real, let's get it done quick before the options start to dry up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

itsjaybud wrote: »

It's obvious though.

Long term Higuain will cost us 80 million from our accumulated transfer kitty.

Icardi would cost nothing if he was sold on.

Being happy with this is all provided we spend the rest on players.

I'd still personally go Higuain but if someone's arguing that Icardi allows us to fill the gap spend the 80 million on transfers over the net few years, I don't think they're bang out of line.

Clubs have to consider this. Now way would Pogba get 100 million if he was 29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I genuinely have no issue with this whatsoever! Even when they were selling all their best players, they never seemed to be able to get crazy money for them!
    Who is that to the right in your sig?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

What's the situation with Aubameyang? I havent heard anything about a potential move out of BVB. With the money quoted for Higuain I'd go for Aubameyang first.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Who is that to the right in your sig?

Sanchez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Hyzepher wrote: »
    What's the situation with Aubameyang? I havent heard anything about a potential move out of BVB. With the money quoted for Higuain I'd go for Aubameyang first.

Aubameyang would probably cost us the same, has 4 years left on his contract and seems happy at Dortmund.

My worry is that Chelsea are not done yet in the striker market and can outbid us for anyone. They still haven't given up on Morata at this point so if the Icardi link is real, let's get it done quick before the options start to dry up.

Costa is making a bit of noise to leave too.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Aubameyang would probably cost us the same, has 4 years left on his contract and seems happy at Dortmund.

I'd say Aubameyang would cost about €25-30m more than Icardi. But can't see Dortmund selling him in the same window they sell Hummels and Mkhitaryan.

All agents are greedy though. If enough noise is made then a club will always sell

Costa is making a bit of noise to leave too.

I wouldn't say no to Costa at Arsenal, we need a player everyone hates that isn't Wilshere. People seem to forget how good a striker he actually is too, played a major part in 2 title wins in the past 3 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say no to Costa at Arsenal, we need a player everyone hates that isn't Wilshere. People seem to forget how good a striker he actually is too, played a major part in 2 title wins in the past 3 seasons.

Id burn me jersey if I seen that scumbag in it.

Gringo180 wrote: »

That's another way of looking at it :pac:

Pogba pretty much a done deal to Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I'd say they would give him a new one 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Pogba pretty much a done deal to Utd.

Ramsey is miles ahead and cost 1/20th of what Pogba will. Please let it go through :)

Ramsey is miles ahead and cost 1/20th of what Pogba will. Please let it go through :)

He is when he plays for Wales but hasnt really shown his best for us in a couple of seasons. He was bang average last season, cant fault his work ethic but he wasnt up to it quality wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Supposedly Mario Gomez is not going back on loan to Besiktas. He's 31 now but would he be worth a punt?
    I'd still prefer a pacy striker but it seems like we are dragging our heels as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ramsey isn't great at controlling the game in a possession system, hes strong in broken play and counter attacks, hence looking better for Wales than Arsenal. I'd take all International Football with a pinch of salt, most teams they're playing against are half filled with league 1 level players.

Ramsey Xhaka
    Could work very well though, Xhaka seems to have more of a controlling passing game.

Lots of foreign press reporting Icardi. I'd be happy with that, good goal record and age profile.

AdamD wrote: »
    Ramsey isn't great at controlling the game in a possession system, hes strong in broken play and counter attacks, hence looking better for Wales than Arsenal. I'd take all International Football with a pinch of salt, most teams they're playing against are half filled with league 1 level players.

Ramsey Xhaka
    Could work very well though, Xhaka seems to have more of a controlling passing game.

Good analysis and I agree with that. He could easily stop with the silly flicks and going for the killer pass all the time and just try and retain the ball and play the simple pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

AdamD wrote: »
    Lots of foreign press reporting Icardi. I'd be happy with that, good goal record and age profile.

https://twitter.com/AFCPressWatch/status/755896008907845632

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

He is when he plays for Wales but hasnt really shown his best for us in a couple of seasons. He was bang average last season, cant fault his work ethic but he wasnt up to it quality wise.

Ramsey works in the spaces for Wales, that Ozil works in for Arsenal

It's why I said yesterday Wengers biggest job will be finding a system or formation that can get the best of both of them

Seeing quotes from the interview and it sounds pretty definitive. What are we up to at all at all at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Seeing quotes from the interview and it sounds pretty definitive. What are we up to at all at all at all?

Dont have access to twitter at work.
    What does it say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

ronjo wrote: »
    What does it say?

He is staying put. In other news Mario Gomez is availible !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What are we up to at all at all at all?

The usual... Buying one player early to sell season tickets, buying some Japanese player to make the Asian supporters feel more than the fact that they're just another cash stream, fannying around for the rest of the summer until fan rage makes Wenger buy a Kim Kallstrom/Danny wellbeck on deadline day. Go into the season without strengthening key areas, lose the opening game, qualify second in our CL group, get knocked out by Barca/bayern, beat United/Chelsea/city once in the league, proclaim ourselves title challengers, trip up over whatever team Sam Allerdyce is managing, take 5 points from a potential 21 somewhere in the season, finish fourth. Wenger in/Wenger out arguments.

Repeat.

ronjo wrote: »
    What does it say?

http://www.football-italia.net/87707/icardi-i-only-want-inter

Mauro Icardi has a 'strong bond' with Inter and is 'working to stay', but he will 'behave like a professional'.

The agent is being linked with a move to a variety of other teams, including Napoli, Atletico Madrid and most recently Arsenal.

The polemical statements released by the player's agent and wife Wanda Nara have kicked off a tense situation, with the Argentine somewhat at odds with the club and the fans.

“I'm here, and I'm happy here, I say that all the time,” Icardi told Il Corriere dello Sport. “I have a contract with Inter until 2019 and they're my team. For everything else, it's the club that has to speak. I'm working to improve my game, to play well and to provide options for the Coach.

“My entire family's objective is to stay in Milan. I never concealed the fact that I'm happy in this city, as are Wanda and the children. Milan is our home, and that's why she's in talks with the club. We're trying to find a solution.

“For now, Wanda deserves an A+ as an agent. She's working very well.”

The 23-year-old poacher was then asked whether the tense situation and the continuous rumours on the market were causing him problems.

“Frankly, no. I'm a professional and I'm acting like one. I do what I must and I think I've worked well on the pitch so far. In the training camp, things are working out well.

“Last season finished badly with the thigh injury, but this one started out on the right foot. Physically I'm well, I just need to improve my condition, which is normal.

“I'm not interested in rumours and I don't give much weight to what is said or written in the media. What I want is known by everyone. I'm happy here, and this is where I want to stay.

“When I chose Inter I wanted to affirm myself in these colours and that objective hasn't changed. We reached the Europa League in the first season, missed it in the second, made it in the third. Now we're ready to come back to Europe as protagonists.

“Me, wearing other colours? I'll tell you the truth, I'm an Interista. Very much an Interista. This is the team I'm a fan of and these are my colours. There's a strong bond.

“Football is a business and anything can happen, but I'm wearing the captain's arm-band for Inter, I've been here three years and my objective is to win as a Nerazzurro. I want to make it.”

The usual... Buying one player early to sell season tickets, buying some Japanese player to make the Asian supporters feel more than the fact that they're just another cash stream, fannying around for the rest of the summer until fan rage makes Wenger buy a Kim Kallstrom/Danny wellbeck on deadline day. Go into the season without strengthening key areas, lose the opening game, qualify second in our CL group, get knocked out by Barca/bayern, beat United/Chelsea/city once in the league, proclaim ourselves title challengers, trip up over whatever team Sam Allerdyce is managing, take 5 points from a potential 21 somewhere in the season, finish fourth. Wenger in/Wenger out arguments.

Repeat.

Big Sam is England manager! That blows your theory out of the water! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

At this rate we'll probably see Adebayor and Rvp back in arsenal shirts LOL

smilerf wrote: »
    At this rate we'll probably see Adebayor and Rvp back in arsenal shirts LOL

Think we'll wait till we lose the first game before we try to bring a striker in. Hope Akpom stays fit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Basil3 wrote: »
    Big Sam is England manager! That blows your theory out of the water! :pac:

As does the beating United/Chelsea/City bit... that wont happen this year, Arsenal dont bt Mourinho or Pep teams (or Chelsea for that matter):rolleyes:
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

If Icardi is a non runner, who does that leave us with? Higuain news seems to have disappeared altogether

wonga77 wrote: »
    If Icardi is a non runner, who does that leave us with? Higuain news seems to have disappeared altogether

The club always keep things quiet, so just hope for nobody and be pleasantly surprised when/if we do sign someone.

You're also less disappointed when nothing happens. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Ramsey miles ahead of Pogba I've heard it all now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

I've applied for Red Membership on Jul 9. My ID says I'm a red member but no sign of the card yet.

How long does it normally take for the card to arrive?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement