Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

Ramsey miles ahead of Pogba I've heard it all now...

Yeah. He did play better than him at the Euros though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very quiet on the transfer front.
    Told yis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If Higuain is wanted by Juve, it seems we're done there.

Our options haven't really changed since the start of the window.

Only striker that moved so far that would have perhaps suited us was Jenssen to Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Very quiet on the transfer front.
    Told yis.

Do you not get bored coming in here saying: WE'RE SIGNING NOBODY.

Then either we sign somebody and you say 'Not enough'.

Or we don't sign anybody and you say 'I told you so'.

Sums up your posts for about 3 years, really adds **** all to any discussion. We know where you stand on everything and your arguments are never nuanced enough for anyone to enjoy reading for the 80th time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Carlos Bacca posted a pic on Instagram with his luggage packed. Most likely off to West Ham.

If Icardi is a non-runner, that really only leaves Higuain, Lukaku, and Mario Gomez as possibly available strikers this summer. Considering Juve and Chelsea could easily outbid us for the first two, I'm getting a sinking feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

AdamD wrote: »

Sums up your posts for about 3 years, really adds **** all to any discussion. We know where you stand on everything and your arguments are never nuanced enough for anyone to enjoy reading for the 80th time.
    You're dissatisfaction with Tayto is similar but less than our dissatisfaction by Wenger and the Boards' attitude to transfers. Are we not allowed discuss in the transfer thread. You know. The thread dedicated to discussing transfers. I for one always enjoy Tayto's contributions, and find them for the most part to be on point. Just because we're not all Wengerites doesn't make our opinions any less valid. If he's constantly being proven right as you state, then maybe redirecting your angry outbursts somewhere else might be appropriate.
    Carlos Bacca posted a pic on Instagram with his luggage packed. Most likely off to West Ham.

If Icardi is a non-runner, that really only leaves Higuain, Lukaku, and Mario Gomez as possibly available strikers this summer. Considering Juve and Chelsea could easily outbid us for the first two, I'm getting a sinking feeling.

If we end up with Mario Gomez I'll be seriously pissed off. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Quazzie wrote: »

Seriously, it's not going to happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You're dissatisfaction with Tayto is similar but less than our dissatisfaction by Wenger and the Boards' attitude to transfers. Are we not allowed discuss in the transfer thread. You know. The thread dedicated to discussing transfers. I for one always enjoy Tayto's contributions, and find them for the most part to be on point. Just because we're not all Wengerites doesn't make our opinions any less valid. If he's constantly being proven right as you state, then maybe redirecting your angry outbursts somewhere else might be appropriate.

He doesn't make contributions, he says the same thing over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Im for sure not a "Wengerite" - And i enjoy looking at this thread - and seeing what people think of the rumours etc, and i value everyone's opinion here, particularly as this is for a lot of dedicated and more enthusiastic fans.

But when people post short little lines, where there main purpose is to essentially say "I am right - you are wrong"
    Its frustrating

He doesn't make contributions, he says the same thing over and over.
    Here are all his posts in this thread, All 296 of them. Have a look yourself, and you'll find that they are most definitely not all the same. Sure there might be a similar vibe to his most recent ones, as he, and many others, get frustrated with this transfer window, but your tantrum is uncalled for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Here are all his posts in this thread, All 296 of them. Have a look yourself, and you'll find that they are most definitely not all the same. Sure there might be a similar vibe to his most recent ones, as he, and many others, get frustrated with this transfer window, but your tantrum is uncalled for.

Perhaps, but the told yis post is the Boards equivalent of Walcott pulling out a challenge. Very poor!

How does a day without rumours equate to 'I told you so'?

When the window closes, Tayto can do that all he likes.

At the moment though it's just petty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Im for sure not a "Wengerite" - And i enjoy looking at this thread - and seeing what people think of the rumours etc, and i value everyone's opinion here, particularly as this is for a lot of dedicated and more enthusiastic fans.

But when people post short little lines, where there main purpose is to essentially say "I am right - you are wrong"
    Its frustrating

But by the same token you have to understand that if people are constantly saying this this this and this and then it turns out you were right and after months of arguments you're right, there is some justification in saying, after all that, I was right and you were wrong.

I'm not talking about Tayto's argument specifically but the sentiment behind it.

greendom wrote: »
    Perhaps, but the told yis post is the Boards equivalent of Walcott pulling out a challenge. Very poor!
    Fair point. I don't take offense to them personally but that's probably because I agreed with him when he first posted so I can empathize with the smugness of being proven right. I think it's a way to perhaps try "get one over" on the people who can see no wrong with Wenger*. That is equally frustrating.

*by Wenger I of course mean Wenger & the board

gosplan wrote: »
    How does a day without rumours equate to 'I told you so'?

When the window closes, Tayto can do that all he likes.

At the moment though it's just petty.
    I was told the very same thing this time last year, and then when the transfer window closed we had these people try tell us there was no one better than Giroud out there. I know it's early days, but surely you'll concede we've been here before many times over the last few years so you can understand why we think nothing is going to change.

I was told the very same thing this time last year, and then when the transfer window closed we had these people try tell us there was no one better than Giroud out there. I know it's early days, but surely you'll concede we've been here before many times over the last few years so you can understand why we think nothing is going to change.

I don't know why people keep twisting what was said about Giroud. Multiple top Premier League clubs were after a striker last summer, nobody signed anyone better than Giroud. There's a difference between 'nobody better available', and 'nobody better'.

Of course there are better players than him out there. And yes, I know that we're a 'big club' and have '£200m in the bank' and have the funds to 'sign any player we want to'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Basil3 wrote: »
    I don't know why people keep twisting what was said about Giroud. Multiple top Premier League clubs were after a striker last summer, nobody signed anyone better than Giroud. There's a difference between 'nobody better available', and 'nobody better'.

Of course there are better players than him out there. And yes, I know that we're a 'big club' and have '£200m in the bank' and have the funds to 'sign any player we want to'.

We did the best we could but their was no quality in the market right?

But by the same token you have to understand that if people are constantly saying this this this and this and then it turns out you were right and after months of arguments you're right, there is some justification in saying, after all that, I was right and you were wrong.

I'm not talking about Tayto's argument specifically but the sentiment behind it.

I agree to an extent, but lets wait until the transfer window closes. Then we can all start saying who was right and who was wrong.

I agree to an extent, but lets wait until the transfer window closes. Then we can all start saying who was right and who was wrong.
    And how we need more time for players to bed in/recover from summer/get fit after doing nothing all summer.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »

Bacca and Jackson Martinez both moved last year, and plenty might argue they'd be better for us than Giroud.

Pogba was never available this summer yet he's now joining United. Big teams with ambition don't wait for others to make things happen, they go out and make it happen themselves. We're not a small club and the conjob that the club does every year to make us think we are is incredible.

And how we need more time for players to bed in/recover from summer/get fit after doing nothing all summer.

Completely agree, the sooner we get someone in the better.
    But if it was a case of getting someone Carlos Bacca now, or Icardi or Lacazette in a week or two. Id happily wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Completely agree, the sooner we get someone in the better.
    But if it was a case of getting someone Carlos Bacca now, or Icardi or Lacazette in a week or two. Id happily wait.

Icardi doesn't look like it'll happen either. I think we should be going for Bacca, looks like we're running out of options fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Icardi doesn't look like it'll happen either. I think we should be going for Bacca, looks like we're running out of options fast.

As I said, Bacca has posted an Instagram pic today that heavily hints at him flying off to a new club. I think it'll be West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Bacca and Jackson Martinez both moved last year, and plenty might argue they'd be better for us than Giroud.

Pogba was never available this summer yet he's now joining United. Big teams with ambition don't wait for others to make things happen, they go out and make it happen themselves. We're not a small club and the conjob that the club does every year to make us think we are is incredible.

Jackson Martinez isn't very good at all. Decent player who padded his stats out for Porto against weak teams, got shown up at Atletico, went off to China for a paycheck.

Icardi, Aubameyang, Higuain are the caliber of player we need, not him.

Jackson Martinez isn't very good at all. Decent player who padded his stats out for Porto against weak teams, got shown up at Atletico, went off to China for a paycheck.

Icardi, Aubameyang, Higuain are the caliber of player we need, not him.
    For the record I wouldn't have been happy with either Bacca or Martinez, but I'm just throwing them up there as examples others have given previously.

For me it's Higuain or Lukaku.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

For the record I wouldn't have been happy with either Bacca or Martinez, but I'm just throwing them up there as examples others have given previously.

For me it's Higuain or Lukaku.

Fair enough. Lukaku is a weird one, his first touch drives me to madness and I don't even support any team he's played for, yet his goal record at his age is very good. I'd take him if Higuain or Icardi aren't possible, definitely.

Fair enough. Lukaku is a weird one, his first touch drives me to madness and I don't even support any team he's played for, yet his goal record at his age is very good. I'd take him if Higuain or Icardi aren't possible, definitely.

I'd love Lukaku, he's done really well to score as much as he has with that poor Everton midfield behind him.

I wouldn't really like Lukaku.

Get some young South American striker and Mahrez for the same price.

I have no problem if Wenger looks at Higuain/Icardi/Lukaku and decides 'poor value'.

Just as long as there's somewhere else he considers good value.

As regards the earlier conversation.
    Over the last few years, we've had options too. That's what the naysayers aren't considering. 2 years ago, Alexis was also a consideration as a striker. Last year Walcott was too. It's not like Wenger constantly said 'oh I don't need anything beyond Giroud'. That's hugely negative revisionism.

Now however, it's clear there are no more internal options. Now he needs to find someone because we only have Giroud.

If this is a Higuain type or a up and coming striker or a winger that scores lots, I don't care. But someone needs to come in.

Koulibaly's name has been thrown about quite a bit the last two days or so. Anyone know much about him? 37m tag on him.

Surely we dont need another midfielder? Fair enough Flamini will probably leave which would mean that Xhaka, Elneny and A.N other (Koulibaly) are replacements for Arteta, Rosicky and Flamster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Koulibaly's name has been thrown about quite a bit the last two days or so. Anyone know much about him? 37m tag on him.

Surely we dont need another midfielder? Fair enough Flamini will probably leave which would mean that Xhaka, Elneny and A.N other (Koulibaly) are replacements for Arteta, Rosicky and Flamster.

Is he not a centre half?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

I know nothing about him, other than a quick google tells me he's a defender and not a midfielder. We do need a defender!

I'm hoping for a big season from Ramsey, we really need more goals from midfield and if he brings his shooting boots this season he might be the best man for that.

DvB wrote: »
    Is he not a centre half?
    L'prof wrote: »
    I know nothing about him, other than a quick google tells me he's a defender and not a midfielder. We do need a defender!

I stand corrected you are right. Had it in my head he was a defensive midfielder.
    And we do need a centre half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I thought he was already gone?

wonga77 wrote: »
    I thought he was already gone?

Was it officially announced he wasn't going to be offered another deal?

Edit: I see the list there. There wasn't much made of his departure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Wonder will we see anymore of Debuchy?

Was it officially announced he wasn't going to be offered another deal?

Edit: I see the list there. There wasn't much made of his departure

Apparently Leeds are keen on him, I think he'd do well there for a year or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

wonga77 wrote: »
    Wonder will we see anymore of Debuchy?

I wouldn't imagine so. I can see him being sold or loaned out again, Bellerin is the clear first choice and Debuchy won't settle for a place on the bench, judging by his impatience last season. Jenkinson and Chambers can also play there, so a decision will have to be made about a few players soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think draxlar is the player we need and will get

The only problem there is that he's only been at Wolfsburg for 1 season

• Advertisement

Id be over the moon if we got him. The Higuain price really is silly, when you consider we could probably get Draxler and Lacazette for the same price.

Attention and thanks-whore much? You're own posts never did much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

3 weeks away from the start of the league.

2 tough matches to start in Liverpool and Leicester. And with extended holidays and injuries we have Apkom as our striker.

It smacks of incompetence.

Worse is people already defendingWenger with the line no one better available. It wasn't true last year and it isn't true this year.

Big teams make players available.

Not to even sign a back up let alone an upgrade on Giroud is ridiculous.

It will be toxic at the Emirates if we don't sign a striker and lose to Liverpool and Leceister. But utterly predictable.

And we will have Wenger spouting how he tried with Vardy and there was no one better available.

I can't figure out if it is stubbornness or incompetence. But it bloody stinks.

We need a central defender, a winger and a striker. But we will get none and ironically Xhaxa was needed 2/3/4 years ago but with Coq and Eleny it was the least of our pressing concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Double post. Long time since we won the double.

Pudders wrote: »
    3 weeks away from the start of the league.

2 tough matches to start in Liverpool and Leicester. And with extended holidays and injuries we have Apkom as our striker.

It smacks of incompetence.

Worse is people already defendingWenger with the line no one better available. It wasn't true last year and it isn't true this year.

Big teams make players available.

Not to even sign a back up let alone an upgrade on Giroud is ridiculous.

It will be toxic at the Emirates if we don't sign a striker and lose to Liverpool and Leceister. But utterly predictable.

And we will have Wenger spouting how he tried with Vardy and there was no one better available.

We need a central defender, a winger and a striker. But we will get none and ironically Xhaxa was needed 2/3/4 years ago but with Coq and Eleny it was the least of our pressing concerns.

Agree with your post as it's how i feel. We need players to bed in before the season begins but i'd argue that we still need Xhaka as i can recall when Coq was out and so was Arteta and having a player like him is good as he looks like he could play a few positions he's so strong and good in the tackle. Wenger found Coq's position by accident because of injuries in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Would Milik from Ajax be worth a punt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I fear for next season I really do

Pudders wrote: »

Links to the posts where people have said this in this transfer window.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Jaysus lads take the summer off

We can all get onto eachother in the new season :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

ok here goes.
    "WENGER OUT"
    :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement