Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

Holding is very young but looks a great prospect tbf if this clip is anything to go by

Good clip of him here on this page making a tackle with one boot on

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10506781/rob-holding-close-to-transfer-to-arsenal-from-bolton

At least we are trying to recruit players who are physical and committed on the pitch for a change

Pudders wrote: »
    Double post. Long time since we won the double.

Once upon a time disappointment being a Gooner meant lamenting not doing a treble. I remember being gutted in 2003 when we let the title slip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Lacazette has told Lyon he wants to leave, according to L'Equipe.

Lacazette has told Lyon he wants to leave, according to L'Equipe.

Where does he want to go is the next thing? People would criticise Wenger but he is trying to massage the ego of alot of prícks to be fair to him. Vardy wanted four weeks to think about whether he wanted to join Arsenal and Icardi apparently sends his wife over to negotiate and yet he doesnt want to leave inter? Its probably the waiting is the most annoying part and watching others isnt easy either. I hope we do sign at least two more proven players. Id be happy with Holding too. There is a bit of stuff in that lad by the looks of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

According to his latest interview Gazidis is saying that we are still struggling to keep up with the "big boys" moneywise and that maybe we will have to do a Leicester and buy from the lower leagues...is he serious? Just because it worked for Leicester doesn't mean it's a plan of action that will work for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Expect lads here to have a meltdown after this interview

http://p1r.es/2ahbXwW

Kinda worrying all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Expect lads here to have a meltdown after this interview

http://p1r.es/2ahbXwW

Kinda worrying all the same
    Gazidis, Kroenke and the Board need to go.

Have no problem with them saying we need to sign players from the lower leagues, if a player is good enough I don't care where they get them

But only doing it because we don't have money and can't compete, well they can fcuk right off giving peddling that line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

j14 wrote: »
    According to his latest interview Gazidis is saying that we are still struggling to keep up with the "big boys" moneywise and that maybe we will have to do a Leicester and buy from the lower leagues...is he serious? Just because it worked for Leicester doesn't mean it's a plan of action that will work for us.

I don't mind that too much but Wenger needs to go out and find the strikers.

We've had a line of Bergkamp, Henry, RVP, Ade, Giroud.

And it's ground to a dead halt.

I've no doubt that in this era of massive spending, the only way for Arsenal to have a truly world class striker is to develop one like with Henry or RVP.

But we're not ****ING doing that!! We haven't been doing it for ages.

Sanogo was the last effort at that and that was three years ago.

gosplan wrote: »
    I don't mind that too much but Wenger needs to go out and find the strikers.

We've had a line of Bergkamp, Henry, RVP, Ade, Giroud.

And it's ground to a dead halt.

I've no doubt that in this era of massive spending, the only way for Arsenal to have a truly world class striker is to develop one like with Henry or RVP.

But we're not ****ING doing that!! We haven't been doing it for ages.

Sanogo was the last effort at that and that was three years ago.

Hopefully this is where the fella we got from Leicester will earn his wages

• Advertisement

The important thing is that the Rams are going back to LA. WOO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I'd rate anything that anyone from the club says during the transfer window as total BS.

Ok, it could be true or it could be that they think clubs are taking the piss with prices and are just chancing the "we don't have as much money as the big clubs".

At this stage, if anybody from the management or board come out with statements during the transfer window I always just think that it is either:

1. A bargaining tool
    2. A very direct message at somebody we are trying to do a deal with
    3. An effort to throw other clubs off the scent of what we are actually doing

No matter what way you look at any of these from a fan point of view, it all amounts to bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

This is it, it's a cartel, a professional money racket for these guys.

They play the pauper whilst sitting on huge amounts of cash. Leicester winning last season was perfect for the excuse machine.

As much as I blame Arsene and the board I blame the fans this is our club and we are allowing it happen, you saw the failed attempt at a long overdue protest last season, that should have been huge but Emirates is too full of corporate 'fans' week in week out.

As the years pass by I move more and more away from the club values ****e people spout and just see a money making business in this for profit not sport. For me it's getting harder to support by the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

This is so f*cking depressing. Either the club takes the fans for complete idiots or they are clueless. I dont know which would be worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Absolute disgrace that they'll have us believe the money isn't there. Kroenke out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

We will find out by the end of the transfer window whether or not the club has any ambition in a footballing sense anymore. Money in the bank and a squad in need of a few additions to compete for the league and champions league.
    Last summer the club/Wenger took the complete piss and were completely incompetent. A repeat window this summer and surely the fans won't stand for it again?

You guys are hilarious.

Soups123 wrote: »
    This is it, it's a cartel, a professional money racket for these guys.

They play the pauper whilst sitting on huge amounts of cash. Leicester winning last season was perfect for the excuse machine.

As much as I blame Arsene and the board I blame the fans this is our club and we are allowing it happen, you saw the failed attempt at a long overdue protest last season, that should have been huge but Emirates is too full of corporate 'fans' week in week out.

As the years pass by I move more and more away from the club values ****e people spout and just see a money making business in this for profit not sport. For me it's getting harder to support by the year

I've had a lot of this in the last couple of years.

I mean if it's only about spending money and corporate success, then what difference does it make??

Like we turn to Man U at the end of the summer and say 'ha ha, our 150 million got us better random foreigners than your 150 million'

I am much much much more in favour of Wenger's methods of bringing young players through and going long term...

... but he's been sucking at this in recent years. Hasn't brought through an effective attacking players since, who??, Ade? Fab?

I mean if it's only about spending money and corporate success, then what difference does it make??

Like we turn to Man U at the end of the summer and say 'ha ha, our 150 million got us better random foreigners than your 150 million'

I am much much much more in favour of Wenger's methods of bringing young players through and going long term...

... but he's been sucking at this in recent years. Hasn't brought through an effective attacking players since, who??, Ade? Fab?
    Have some Koolaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Basil3 wrote: »
    You guys are hilarious.

Care to elaborate?

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

I don't think Gazidis said anything that is untrue. No need to flip out over it. It still doesn't mean the club can't show ambition.

I'm happy to wait out the transfer window. I'm not getting worked up over rumours. It will be an interesting start to the season, though. If the striker issue isn't sorted by the first match of the season, Wenger is gonna feel the heat at the Emirates.

Have some Koolaid.

?????i think something went over my head there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Agreed. I think I've said it before not just with Arsenal I hate what football has turned into, give 80s & 90s football over this.

I just feel too much of the messaging out of the club over the past 10 years has been money this and money that, you see more financial articles and club statements than anything else.

The money part now is insane and there's no decent value any more but that shouldn't mean we just stop and let the money men take more out!

I agree with you on Wengers philosophy and bringing through youth but that has stopped now too.

I'm not fed up at all with the current transfer window I'm probably just becoming less bothered by it all

At the end of the day it's watching 22 'men' kicking a ball around the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Is there a club out there that is so happy at upsetting and screwing over their fan's more then Arsenal. I haven't seen one.

Coming out with interviews like this, isn't going to help things at all. Are we a big club or not, have we been lied too for years about competing with the likes of Bayern and Real when we moved to the Emirates. To not have bought a top striker for the last three season's is disgraceful and for a manager to earn 8 million a year and put in performances like his team has over the last few seasons and have not got the sack is mind boggling.

It's going to be interesting once Liverpool take the lead at the Emirates how the crowd will react towards Wenger if he hasn't bought in top striker or a top class CB or RW. This squad is still lacking plus we be missing a few key players for the first few games . The atmosphere with fans is already a little frosty with the way the transfer have gone this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Soups123 wrote: »
    Agreed. I think I've said it before not just with Arsenal I hate what football has turned into, give 80s & 90s football over this.

I just feel too much of the messaging out of the club over the past 10 years has been money this and money that, you see more financial articles and club statements than anything else.

The money part now is insane and there's no decent value any more but that shouldn't mean we just stop and let the money men take more out!

I agree with you on Wengers philosophy and bringing through youth but that has stopped now too.

I'm not fed up at all with the current transfer window I'm probably just becoming less bothered by it all

At the end of the day it's watching 22 'men' kicking a ball around the field

It's like that with most Arsenal fans, most have just given up. Something I think this board wants. They want our money but they aren't willing to spend making it better.

With transfers, It's modern footballing world and we just have to pay the prices if we want to be a success on the field, if not we will become a selling club. If we don't win a title this season, I could see a mini exodus come next summer. That's the worrying thing for me, I just can't see the likes of Ozil, Alexis, Ramsey, Kos even young Bellerin sticking out for much longer if they ain't winning titles.

With the youth thing, I think Wenger gave up on that once he knew it wasn't proving successful and that most of those youths basically left him high and dry when they knew they wouldn't win a title under him. Even Bellerin and Iwobi were flukes for Wenger, he had to play Bellerin and Iwobi cause of injuries and lucked out they proved successful.

Even our football style has gone backwards. Even when we weren't winning titles we still played the best football, now we can't even do that. With the squad we have now, I think we be doing well to get top 4.

I don't think Gazidis said anything that is untrue. No need to flip out over it. It still doesn't mean the club can't show ambition.

I'm happy to wait out the transfer window. I'm not getting worked up over rumours. It will be an interesting start to the season, though. If the striker issue isn't sorted by the first match of the season, Wenger is gonna feel the heat at the Emirates.

I 100% agree with you but If he was going to talk about developing players and looking for cheap options in the market, he should have said 'we need to do this better'.

No Arsenal fan in the world would rather we spent 100million on an Henry rather than 10 and develop him as a CF ourselves.

The reason people are going nuts for a big signing is because there's no-one at the club with the potential we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He'll still have his loyal supporters both in here and more importantly in the Board room.

The club, like any other club is split in two. The Sport side, and the Business side. The Sport side's aim is to look after success on the field. They've to make sure that the players play to their maximum and we achieve success. Wenger is leader of the Sport side of the club.

The Business side is lead by Kroenke, and his aim is to make the company profitable, and to get the best 'bang for his buck'. His only concern with the Sport side is that success for them brings more success for the Business side as a side effect. Other than that he'd be happy with anything to happen to the team.

Top 4 finishes and UCL qualification is the happy median between these two sides. Wenger gets to call this a success on the Sport side, and Kroenke gets to make minimal outlay on players whilst pulling in massive revenue from the most expensive seats in British (World?) football.

Wenger has lost his desire, and ability to create a title winning side because for years during the stadium build he had his hand forced to accept 4th, which was seen as success. Due to this there is no need now, for him or the board to push for anything else. Sure once in a while the heavens will allign and we'll get an FA cup win because the run was much easier than normal, but that's all just gravy for the Board, and something to push forward as success. The truth is, the FA cup hasn't been a major competition for quite some time now, and only for the fact we won it, we wouldn't give two fúcks about it. It's nice to lord it over Spurs fans and the fact that they can't finish above us ever, is nice to joke about, but it's a distraction. The fans want success, and they pay handsomely for it, but they accept much less because for some reason the Business side has taken precedence in the Club and the fans seem to enjoy that. Why should the fans care how much is spent on a player, or how much wages a player gets? Are we the only club who has fans who thinks this way? The "right man at the right price" thinking that the board puts forward to cover lack of investment has seeped down into the fans and I for abhor it.

We could easily spunk £150 million on quality while overhauling our youth system as well. It's not one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

They cannot be so naive as to think that if we dont spend more on proper players this summer, there wont be fallout. Like if we don't, it'll be unbelievable, but not surprising.

This Year - We sign nobody else - finish 4th if we are lucky
    Next Summer - Ozil, Sanchez move due to lack of ambition. Wenger leaves, someone else comes in, and the whole yarn is spun to us again, about a rebuilding process etc. And we remain in the doldrums of 3rd/4th,5th for a few years. Lads we are so far from winning the Premier League again - its sickening

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    He'll still have his loyal supporters both in here and more importantly in the Board room.

The club, like any other club is split in two. The Sport side, and the Business side. The Sport side's aim is to look after success on the field. They've to make sure that the players play to their maximum and we achieve success. Wenger is leader of the Sport side of the club.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Wenger gives 2 ****s about the sport side he would have done something other than trundle on taking his 8 million a year and keeping shtum. He cares about himself.
    The Business side is lead by Kroenke, and his aim is to make the company profitable, and to get the best 'bang for his buck'. His only concern with the Sport side is that success for them brings more success for the Business side as a side effect. Other than that he'd be happy with anything to happen to the team.
    Again, he had had to raise $550 million to move the Rams and overnight made a billion profit.

Probably a classic bit of expectations management though, spend another £20 million on something that makes little difference and everything will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Willing to hold powder until the start of the season and not overreact, but very concerned that this summer is showing all the hallmarks of last summer and the head in the sand approach from the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

That Gazidis interview is horrendous reading.

We are in the top ten richest clubs in the world, if not the top 5

Very worrying interview.

Hopefully, its just a smokescreen but I fear not

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

keano_afc wrote: »
    Willing to hold powder until the start of the season and not overreact, but very concerned that this summer is showing all the hallmarks of last summer and the head in the sand approach from the manager.

Exact same! Im not going to revolt just yet, but for sure there are concerns. To be fair i think everyone in this thread, is at the very least concerned.
    Like if there was a so called lack of cash, or we had financial restrictions. Why did we buy Xhaka, surely a striker was for sure no 1 priority. Thats the only reason im still hopeful we are still getting a striker.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Again, he had had to raise $550 million to move the Rams and overnight made a billion profit.

This.

The thinking from most sports investors is that Arsenal is being kept cash rich to use as leverage in the Rams move/LA Stadium redevelopment. That's why we can't spend money.

Makes sense for Stan, but it's a massive slap in the face for every Arsenal supporter, regardless of whether you're a Arsene guy or not.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” - Albert Einstein

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Exact same! Im not going to revolt just yet, but for sure there are concerns. To be fair i think everyone in this thread, is at the very least concerned.
    Like if there was a so called lack of cash, or we had financial restrictions. Why did we buy Xhaka, surely a striker was for sure no 1 priority. Thats the only reason im still hopeful we are still getting a striker.

Well the move for Vardy was an indication that we are in the market for a forward. Its the lack of planning that gets me though, and its every summer. You'd hope targets were lined up by the 24 hour transfer team, if so why is there no movement 3 weeks before the season? Look at the likes of Dortmund, they do their business perfectly, on a fraction of the budget we have.

Quazzie wrote: »

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” - Albert Einstein

Nothing personal Quazzie but I hate that Quote. And Einstein didn't say it.

If someone is saying they're very worried right now but not going to react till the window shuts, I think that makes sense tbh.

A bit of hope there fellas. Have a bit of hope.

I hate that Quote. And Einstein didn't say it.
    There is no clear evidence to suggest that he said it, but that's not to say he didn't. :P
    If someone is saying they're very worried right now but not going to react till the window shuts, I think that makes sense tbh.

A bit of hope there fellas. Have a bit of hope.
    I understand why someone wants to wait till the window closes before becoming hysterical, but it's also understandable that some people are getting to that point early because they see a decade old trend repeating itself.

The fact that we haven't done out business early reflects poorly on those in charge of transfers, but if we don't do the business required then it should be a sackable offense, but alas it won't for reasons explained above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

A bit of hope he says, it is quite literally the same sh1t year after year after year yet so many people refuse to believe or accept that, they're the ones I feel the most sorry for.

• Advertisement

DeclanRe wrote: »

We will get a striker. Simply because an injury to Giroud absolutely guarantees that we'll finish outside the CL places. It's good business to get a striker right now.

No idea how good they'll be though as in whether they'd be backup to Giroud or better than.

With better than being so difficult to manage (I honestly thing that Higuain is the only one we're sure would be an all-round improvement), I'd happily go for someone with potential.

And if Wenger and his transfer team can't take that idea and scour the leagues of South America and find some kid they like the look of, then I give up.

A bit of hope he says, it is quite literally the same sh1t year after year after year yet so many people refuse to believe or accept that, they're the ones I feel the most sorry for.

I dunno. I do still enjoy supporting Arsenal.

You lot are like battered wives that keep coming back for more. Just leave for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

To clarify - you feel sorry for people who still have hope for their team.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

You lot are like battered wives that keep coming back for more. Just leave for good.

You would be the wife that's into S&M, and thus is staying regardless?

I love supporting Arsenal, I just don't eat up everything they do and say as gospel and pretend we have better players than we do and that Wenger is Jesus. Leave for good? What're you even sh1tting about?

Pter wrote: »
    You would be the wife that's into S&M, and thus is staying regardless?
    Battered Wife syndrome
    Additionally, repeated cycles of violence and reconciliation can result in the following beliefs and attitudes:[8]
    • The abused thinks that the violence was his or her fault.
    • The abused has an inability to place the responsibility for the violence elsewhere.
    • The abused fears for her/his life, and/or, the lives of loved ones whom the abuser might or has threatened to harm (e.g., children-in-common, close relatives or friends).
    • The abused has an irrational belief that the abuser is omnipresent and omniscient.

Sounds familiar.

Pter wrote: »
    To clarify - you feel sorry for people who still have hope for their team.....?

Nah I feel sorry for people who are naive and overly optimistic to the point where they're essentially being ****ed in the ass by Wenger and his cronies.

I love supporting Arsenal, I just don't eat up everything they do and say as gospel and pretend we have better players than we do and that Wenger is Jesus. Leave for good? What're you even sh1tting about?

Sorry, it just seems that you're in an unhappy relationship.

Like if you finish 3rd, then 2nd in the league, win a couple of cups in recent years, and then in the off season when the window is open and everyone's on zero points be so devoid of any hope in the future that you go on the attack against anyone that expresses some, I just don't think you're getting much from supporting Arsenal.

As tayto said earlier you have to take any interview with the club with a pinch of salt

For all we know we could be working on a deal that ill beak out transfer record

But the timing and tone of the interview was niave and stupid from Ivan releasing that to a fan base already on edge

As tayto said earlier you have to take any interview with the club with a pinch of salt

For all we know we could be working on a deal that ill beak out transfer record

But the timing and tone of the interview was niave and stupid from Ivan releasing that to a fan base already on edge

He's just wanting to make a bigger impact when we sign Higuain :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement