Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

gosplan wrote: »
    Sorry, it just seems that you're in an unhappy relationship.

Like if you finish 3rd, then 2nd in the league, win a couple of cups in recent years, and then in the off season when the window is open and everyone's on zero points be so devoid of any hope in the future that you go on the attack against anyone that expresses some, I just don't think you're getting much from supporting Arsenal.

I'm not devoid of hope for our season I believe you're confused, we're talking about the transfer window and buying players...

Show me where i've attacked anyone please? Making ridiculous ****ing statements. I'm getting a lot but thanks for your concern :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So many miserable posters on here.

There's no doubt in my mind we will be buying a decent striker and I'm still optimistic about the new season.

Call me naive or masochistic but I just couldn't support the team in a constant state of misery.

That's not to say home defeats to Swansea or losing RVP to United doesn't get me down, it does. I just learn to look forward to the next game/signing/player to break through.

Wallowing in depression just doesn't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Quazzie wrote: »
    Battered Wife syndrome

Sounds familiar.

This thread cracks me up sometimes,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Soups123 wrote: »
    This thread cracks me up sometimes,
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What a stupid, brainless interview. Comparing us to Leicester? Last thing we need right now.

What a stupid, brainless interview. Comparing us to Leicester? Last thing we need right now.

Yeah man. I have absolutely no interest in how or why the current Premier League Champions did so well. Just spend some money already!!

greendom wrote: »

There's no doubt in my mind we will be buying a decent striker and I'm still optimistic about the new season.

Call me naive or masochistic but I just couldn't support the team in a constant state of misery.

That's not to say home defeats to Swansea or losing RVP to United doesn't get me down, it does. I just learn to look forward to the next game/signing/player to break through.

If you're referring to me you really have the wrong idea. I look forward to and watch every game mate, i'm not wallowing in depression I'm just realistic when it comes to transfers etc and use recent history to predict what will happen next as opposed to pretending what i want to happen will happen you get me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If you're referring to me you really have the wrong idea. I look forward to and watch every game mate, i'm not wallowing in depression I'm just realistic when it comes to transfers etc and use recent history to predict what will happen next as opposed to pretending what i want to happen will happen you get me?

Believe Ken. believe !!!

We have signed 3 world class players in the last 3 summer transfer windows. Recent history says that we will do so again this summer.

Edit....

I'm referring to Ozil, Sanchez and Cech :D

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    We have signed 3 world class players in the last 3 summer transfer windows. Recent history says that we will do so again this summer.

Edit....

I'm referring to Ozil, Sanchez and Cech :D

We've already done that with Xhaka so now we will spend 10 Mill on youth players and ignore the positions we need to strengthen.

or

We will sign a world class striker centre halve and winger.

Which one sounds more realistic?

We've already done that with Xhaka so now we will spend 10 Mill on youth players and ignore the positions we need to strengthen.

or

We will sign a world class striker centre halve and winger.

Which one sounds more realistic?

He's not World Class. Potential to be.

Not just you!

This transfer window is not the same as the last one though. We've spent 35 million on a defensive midfielder. That's never happened before - not even close.

There is little doubt either that we are after a striker. Vardy chose to stay with Leicester, his choice and not much we can do about that but keep looking and enquiring

He hasn't gone to the French lower leagues in search of potential talent either. That was often a (pretty pathetic) complaint levelled at Wenger.
    He's gone for a tough ball playing English centre back.

It is frustrating as the season draws closer and the big money forward hasn't arrived but it will happen.

Not just you!

This transfer window is not the same as the last one though. We've spent 35 million on a defensive midfielder. That's never happened before - not even close.

There is little doubt either that we are after a striker. Vardy chose to stay with Leicester, his choice and not much we can do about that but keep looking and enquiring

He hasn't gone to the French lower leagues in search of potential talent either. That was often a (pretty pathetic) complaint levelled at Wenger.

It is frustrating as the season draws closer and the big money forward hasn't arrived but it will happen.

Alright mate, keep dreaming and if your dreams do come true I will be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

The enjoyment and hope is still there for me

Even if we don't sign anyone else there will still be that little hope tha supporting a club brings

And if we things turn out the same I will be a little pîssed off but that will change quickly enough

Football is a pass time away from the real world, I never get too stressed or wound up about it, enough of that in everyday life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I got tickets for us V Burnley and us V West Ham for my youngest first games next season so I'll be looking forward regardless

Thankfully he is of an age where all this transfer **** means nothing and the players we have are his ideals about 7 of them make his dream team of world stars

I miss the innocence and basic enjoyment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

David Dein is the biggest loss the club has felt in the past 10 years. Bigger than Henry, Bergkamp, RVP etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Not just you!

This. I'm waiting and still hopeful that they'll sign a striker of real quality. It is frustrating that the there are still obvious holes in the squad and Gazidas' interview doesn't help in any way, shape or form! I do think that additions will be made on top of already strengthening through the signing of Xhaka. It wasn't a key position but I do feel it was a very good buy

I still don't think they're able to compete financially with the biggest clubs in the world, but they are making great strides on that front and are much closer on that front than when they 1st moved to the Emirates. I think the only way to break that stranglehold is through silverware and the hidden financial benefits that winning titles clearly brings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Not just you!

Happy enough with Xhaka, though a change of tactics is what's needed in midfield.
    What was pathetic about it? Sanogo?
    Seen a lot of Holding have you? :pac: He's had 27 senior appearances and is nearly 21. (EDIT: Didn't count cup games, so it's probably a tad more than 27.)
    How many times have you said that over the years?

wawaman wrote: »

Wonder the statement "we are in
    The market stay close to Arsenal.com further transfer news" means anything

• Advertisement

Interesting

Wonder the statement "we are in
    The market stay close to Arsenal.com further transfer news" means anything

I'm guessing it means what it says. You think there's some hidden message?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Interesting

Disappointed the rest of the quote is not there. Its usually followed by "if we do anything you will be the first to know".

I'm guessing it means what it says. You think there's some hidden message?

Yep I think that line was purposely put there

Happy enough with Xhaka, though a change of tactics is what's needed in midfield.

Seen a lot of Holding have you? :pac: He's had 27 senior appearances and is nearly 21. (EDIT: Didn't count cup games, so it's probably a tad more than 27.)

Hope springs eternal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Yep I think that line was purposely put there

I reckon they knew the fans were going apes*it with Gazidis quotes and used that line as a bone to try and appease

wawaman wrote: »
    I reckon they knew the fans were going apes*it with Gazidis quotes and used that line as a bone to try and appease

Quiet possibly

I bet we break our transfer fee record this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I think they are referring to Chapel Market by Angel tube station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Quiet possibly

I bet we break our transfer fee record this summer

2ni8gzk.jpg

We'd all be delighted if they did. Another £58.6m+ to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Interesting

Carlsberg don't do trolling but if they did...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I never wallow in depression. I love every day.
    I am never badly disappointed that we don't sign the quality striker or defender we need because i don't expect and know we won't do so. When we do sign a world-class player like Xhaka or Ozil i am ecstatic and terribly surprised. I never believe the rumours or the paper-talk. Paper never refuses ink.

What does anger me slightly is knowing we have loads of money and then hear Wenger saying in t.v. interviews that we need 3 players and then not buying anyone of note. I am also a bit fed up of buying young prospects when everyone and his dog knows that we won't buy the real deal i.e. a 20 goal a season striker. We need a world-class striker and a world-class CB in my opinion but we will buy "prospects" for the future even though we are loaded with money. Those prospects might be great in time but we need ready-made quality now if we are to win the EPL or challenger seriously for Europe.

The club has gone stale it seems but i'm not depressed. Never. And I'll still be a Gooner long after Wenger, Kronke etc have left with the millions or billions.

Who's going to be CB for the Pool game? Mert and Gab? Against Sturridge, Mane, Firminho, Countinho :o

I never wallow in depression. I love every day.
    I am never badly disappointed that we don't sign the quality striker or defender we need because i don't expect and know we won't do so. When we do sign a world-class player like Xhaka or Ozil i am ecstatic and terribly surprised. I never believe the rumours or the paper-talk. Paper never refuses ink.

What does anger me slightly is knowing we have loads of money and then hear Wenger saying in t.v. interviews that we need 3 players and then not buying anyone of note. I am also a bit fed up of buying young prospects when everyone and his dog knows that we won't buy the real deal i.e. a 20 goal a season striker. We need a world-class striker and a world-class CB in my opinion but we will buy "prospects" for the future even though we are loaded with money. Those prospects might be great in time but we need ready-made quality now if we are to win the EPL or challenger seriously for Europe.

The club has gone stale it seems but i'm not depressed. Never. And I'll still be a Gooner long after Wenger, Kronke etc have left with the millions or billions.

Yeah but you post mean things about the club and aren't happy if we lose and/or fail to sign the players we need so none of that matters. You're a depressed lunatic and you should leave for good.

Yeah but you post mean things about the club and aren't happy if we lose and/or fail to sign the players we need so none of that matters. You're a depressed lunatic and you should leave for good.

:D:):D

domrush wrote: »
    Who's going to be CB for the Pool game? Mert and Gab? Against Sturridge, Mane, Firminho, Countinho :o

Their lethal 10-goal-a-year strikeforce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hardly fair?

We're really up against it on the opening day.

They managed to put 3 past us last year, it's a fairly valid concern that Dom has don't you think?

They managed to put 3 past us last year, it's a fairly valid concern that Dom has don't you think?

I don't think so, personally. Mert and Gab are capable enough. We should have a solid defensive platform in front of them as well.

They couldn't put any against us with Gab and Chambers at the back, and the 3 we conceded was with Kos playing...

As to Holding. I've seen the impressive clips on You tube, the unhappiness of Bolton fans that he's leaving and some very positive quotes by Neil Lennon. He's also made the England U21 squad.

• Advertisement

Neil Lennon. :pac:

I don't think so, personally. Mert and Gab are capable enough. We should have a solid defensive platform in front of them as well.

They couldn't put any against us with Gab and Chambers at the back, and the 3 we conceded was with Kos playing...

Was Sturridge and/or Mane playing last year? They will be a threat and without Kos we will be defensively weaker, without another strong CB for the season we will be in trouble.

Countinho was injured as well while Firminho got two. Regardless its a tough opening fixture and I don't know where our goals are going to come from.

domrush wrote: »
    Countinho was injured as well while Firminho got two. Regardless its a tough opening fixture and I don't know where our goals are going to come from.

Yeah, my worry is at the other end of the pitch :D

Yeah, my worry is at the other end of the pitch :D

Have we a few injured defenders?

Have we a few injured defenders?

No, I'm agreeing with him, and referring to our lack of attacking options. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Not sure if it's been posted yet but Holding gets Ramseys old number and Ramsey is getting Artetas number 8.

I like Ramsey and really want him to find top form again and have a great season but I feel like he's being massively overrated in here lately, especially after the Euro's. There is a big difference between club football and international football, including quality of opposition and style of play of your team.

We have 3 slots Ozil automatically takes the CAM role, who takes the 2 sitting/box-box roles?

I like Ramsey and really want him to find top form again and have a great season but I feel like he's being massively overrated in here lately, especially after the Euro's. There is a big difference between club football and international football, including quality of opposition and style of play of your team.

We have 3 slots Ozil automatically takes the CAM role, who takes the 2 sitting/box-box roles?

Xhaka and Ramsey probably, long term. Ramsey was at his best beside Arteta, and Xhaka is a tougher version of Arteta. Cazorla seems to work better with Coquelin than Ramsey does.

That's without mentioning Wilshere and Elneny, who are both good players in their own right, although obviously Wilshere can't stay fit.

For all our striker/defence woes, we're stacked in midfield :D

Xhaka and Ramsey probably, long term. Ramsey was at his best beside Arteta, and Xhaka is a tougher version of Arteta. Cazorla seems to work better with Coquelin than Ramsey does.

That's without mentioning Wilshere and Elneny, who are both good players in their own right, although obviously Wilshere can't stay fit.

For all our striker/defence woes, we're stacked in midfield :D

Definitely stacked in the midfield, just worried if we keep changing it up will it be difficult to find consistency.

Oxil,Caz and Wilshere has me drooling but I like Ozil,Ramsey,Xhaka too. Exciting times for the middle of the park, even if we buy a WC striker or winger as opposed to both we will be a force to reckoned with but both would be preferable.

Only worry on paper then is Kos's partner/replacement should he be injured.

Definitely stacked in the midfield, just worried if we keep changing it up will it be difficult to find consistency.

Oxil,Caz and Wilshere has me drooling but I like Ozil,Ramsey,Xhaka too. Exciting times for the middle of the park, even if we buy a WC striker or winger as opposed to both we will be a force to reckoned with but both would be preferable.

Only worry on paper then is Kos's partner/replacement should he be injured.

Think your first one is a bit lightweight, although in games where we dominate it would be good to try. Xhaka's been brought in as a first teamer I'd say.

Yeah we need a centre half as much as a striker really. Doesn't need to be a world beater, unlike said striker, but someone like Koulibaly or if possible Marquinhos would be ideal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement