Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Ill probably get destroyed for this - but does anyone think the Ox would benefit from a loan? Like if he got to a Roma,Inter, Valencia etc, i think if he played there for a full year, it would do him wonders. He wont progress with us this year. Not unless we get a lot of injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Ill probably get destroyed for this - but does anyone think the Ox would benefit from a loan? Like if he got to a Roma,Inter, Valencia etc, i think if he played there for a full year, it would do him wonders. He wont progress this year. Not unless we get a lot of injuries.

Sounds good to me, as long as we buy a winger in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

As it stands with the squad we currently have, our best team IMO is

Cech
    Bellerin, Mert, Kos, Monreal
    Xhaka, Cazorla
    Ozil
    Ramsey Alexis
    Giroud

I know it's not ideal to have Ramsey out wide, but when he played there last season I was impressed. It's basically a free role for him and he doesn't have to be as disciplined as he would be playing in the middle. We played our best football last season playing that way. We didn't play as well once Cazorla went down and Ramsey moved to the centre IMO.

Welbeck instead of Giroud could also work well, once he's back from injury. Obviously a couple of signings is needed and we would look much better going into the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ill probably get destroyed for this - but does anyone think the Ox would benefit from a loan? Like if he got to a Roma,Inter, Valencia etc, i think if he played there for a full year, it would do him wonders. He wont progress with us this year. Not unless we get a lot of injuries.

Sounds ideal to me, he does have bags of ability but hasnt really moved forward in the last year or two. Maybe a change of scenery and some new voices would do him the world of good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

It'd do him no harm imo, I'd be a fairly big critic of him but it's always possible he'll improve, he just hasn't done so under Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Away at Lens tonight guys! 7pm KO. Live on the Arsenal Player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think Iwobi will mature well this season. Very promising in the games he got so far. Offers more than some of the more senior players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I really hope that Xhaka will lessen the need for Cazorla's ball playing abilities in CMF and that Ramsey will be a good central midfielder again.

Xhaka
    Ramsey
    Wilshire - Ozil - Sanchez
    Welbeck

I think that might be out beat side of it were to click.

Welbeck can't offer as much around the place as Giroud but he opens up so much more of the pitch than Giroud that he's worth it.

gosplan wrote: »
    I really hope that Xhaka will lessen the need for Cazorla's ball playing abilities in CMF and that Ramsey will be a good central midfielder again.

Xhaka
    Ramsey
    Wilshire - Ozil - Sanchez
    Welbeck

I think that might be out beat side of it were to click.

Welbeck can't offer as much around the place as Giroud but he opens up so much more of the pitch than Giroud that he's worth it.

That's the problem.
    Neither Giroud or Welbeck will score enough to win us the league. That's why we need something special up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Logs in....

Sees 16 new pages of posts, thinks "hey, we must be signing someone!"....

Quickly realised its the same ****, different day...

Logs off despondently again...

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    Logs in....

You should be used to it by now. :D

emmetlego wrote: »
    Logs in....

God forbid a bit of discussion went on in here!

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/756541958248620032

Decent enough team, No Xhaxa on the bench, Wonder whats in store this season for Debuchy, Akpom, Bielik, Zelalem and Gnabry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Debuchy playing well

Shocking header from Chambers! 1-0 Lens

Ba for Lens is pretty insane. As tall as Mert, but fast, athletic, powerful. Almost the opposite of Mert in every way except for height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Walcott is still rubbish anyways.

Good finish by the Ox there.

Lovely finish from Chamberlain. 1-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

id have the ox over walcott anyday of the week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Brilliant goal. There was a defender there so it had to be hit near perfect....and he did. Lovely chip.

Lovely finish from the Ox, we need to see more of the same from him this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Cracking goal from the Ox this evening. Nice to see the team back out on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

"We remain active in the market and if we find the right player we are not afraid to spend big"

pudzey101 wrote: »
    id have the ox over walcott anyday of the week :)

I'd have neither

• Advertisement

I'd have neither

Never heard of him, didn't even know he was an option. Off to Wikipedia I go.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Never heard of him, didn't even know he was an option. Off to Wikipedia I go.

Tremendous player. Wenger is set to wrap up the signing of Neithers first cousin 'No one' soon. :pac:

Bear in mind the tv money has increased since Gazidis interview back in 2013. he was very bullish about our financial muscle back then. Big change today

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8762388/transfer-news-arsenal-could-afford-wayne-rooney-chief-executive-ivan-gazidis-says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

wawaman wrote: »
    "We remain active in the market and if we find the right player we are not afraid to spend big"
    So he's admitting that he's incapable of finding talent anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Soups123 wrote: »
    Pudders wrote: »
    Gazidis, Kroenke and the Board need to go.

This is it, it's a cartel, a professional money racket for these guys.

They play the pauper whilst sitting on huge amounts of cash. Leicester winning last season was perfect for the excuse machine.

As much as I blame Arsene and the board I blame the fans this is our club and we are allowing it happen, you saw the failed attempt at a long overdue protest last season, that should have been huge but Emirates is too full of corporate 'fans' week in week out.

As the years pass by I move more and more away from the club values ****e people spout and just see a money making business in this for profit not sport. For me it's getting harder to support by the year

True dat.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »

Not to sound too much like Dunphy but there is a dearth of talent and individual brillance in world football today apart from perhaps 5 players who are well out of our league.

Its become harder and more expensive to find world class but we probably need winners more than classy footballers. Wenger will go for the classy footballer where possible all day long but they either cost too much and/or they dont like the rough stuff when the gauntlet is thrown down. Wenger doesnt want a team of workers ala Leicester, who will run themselves to death for the cause.

Once we had an abundance of both world class and winners. Times have changed.

Quazzie wrote: »

Yeah this is the thing. Of course we remain on the market and aren't afraid to spend ... Like if we were offered Suarez for 40 million all of a sudden.

But who are our targets?? Why aren't we moving from them.

Are we waiting for things to develop?? Do we actually not know?? Is Wenger just hoping that another Ozil type signing will drop into his lap??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Riyad Mahrez has accepted an offer to join Arsenal, according to Eurosport FR #afc

Don't shoot the messenger, no idea if they are reliable or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Riyad Mahrez has accepted an offer to join Arsenal, according to Eurosport FR #afc

We will have to wait and see but that's good news very good news

Some reports that this was being negotiated in Lens yesterday which makes a lot of sense of the 'watch this space' message on the website.

This would be perfect. Mahrez plus a young CF like that Gabigol kid.

gosplan wrote: »
    Some reports that this was being negotiated in Lens yesterday which makes a lot of sense of the 'watch this space' message on the website.

This would be perfect. Mahrez plus a young CF like that Gabigol kid.

Edit: well Higuain would be actually perfect in terms of football but awful in terms of cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Guess that's what was meant by follow the Leicester way to be successful...

Arsenals plan for the Summer, buy Vardy, Mahrez and Kante Xhaka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Already been stung by a Leicester potential transfer this season so I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

Still, Sanchez Ozil and Mahrez does sound pretty tasty and would make securing a forward easier.

Would mean the end of Walcott or Ox I would have thought.

Right, obviously Mahrez would be a fantastic signing if theres any truth in it, but is it a priority? Surely a striker and cb still remain the most important areas to be strengthened. Then again thats based on Wenger keeping all the players at the club, it could mean the end for Walcott or Ox. Apart from rumours of Ox to Southampton a few weeks back I havent seen or heard of any of our players being linked with anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

wonga77 wrote: »
    Right, obviously Mahrez would be a fantastic signing if theres any truth in it, but is it a priority? Surely a striker and cb still remain the most important areas to be strengthened. Then again thats based on Wenger keeping all the players at the club, it could mean the end for Walcott or Ox. Apart from rumours of Ox to Southampton a few weeks back I havent seen or heard of any of our players being linked with anyone else
    If Ollie can get 16 to 18 and mahrez gets near same that'll do me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think a winger is a far bigger priority than a CB. I think our lack of goals killed us last year rather than our defence. Mahrez would be unreal.

A more balanced midfield should help our defence too so here's hoping Xhaka can make a difference in that way.

Even if we pull this off we still need some sort of striker for numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

AdamD wrote: »
    I think a winger is a far bigger priority than a CB. I think our lack of goals killed us last year rather than our defence. Mahrez would be unreal.

A more balanced midfield should help our defence too so here's hoping Xhaka can make a difference in that way.

Even if we pull this off we still need some sort of striker for numbers

Agreed re maharez although None of the big guns running with the story... They can take Theo in part exchange too. Leicester the only champ league team that he would get near.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Eurosport are not your usual run of the mill rumour spreaders, so there may be something to this! Wait and see, but they also reported that Arsenal were after Benzema last year, and had agreed figures, if I recall correctly. So pinch of salt!

Certainly would be a game changing signing. The amount of goals he gets from the wing would be huge for us. Now if we could sign a top striker to augment Olivier, or replace him, I'd be a lot more confident going into Arsene's final season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Eurosport also claiming that we met Mahrez's agent during the Lens game. Let's hope Mahrez doesn't do a Vardy on this.

Absolutely delighted if this is true. But we still need a CF

Higuain had a medical with Juve yesterday apparently

Some dude tweeted the Mahrez claim about an hour before Eurosport reported it, and he's the same fella who broke the Kante to Chelsea news.

As before, won't believe it until Ornstein tweets it or I see him in red on Arsenal.com!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

If we could get in Mahrez I'd be delighted, a really talented player. An added bonus would be that it would push Walcott further down the pecking order. According to that Eurosport link a fee still has to be agreed though.

Mahrez and a proven striker in and things would start to look up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement