Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Quazzie wrote: »
    It wasn't just Mahrez. There were a few Leicester plays that went to London. Probably a media or sponsorship gig.

Yeah yeah, just a media or sponsorship gig. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Quazzie wrote: »
    Why does it take a couple of bad results though. Surely he can see what everyone else sees that we need a better striker. To fail to act on that before the start of the season is incompetence and no one can argue that.

Well it didn't make him act last season.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I'd love for Wenger to make another decent signing before the start of the season, if only to show that you bunch of pessimistic moany buggers are clueless :pac:

You see some of us are deliberately tempting fate i.e. hoping against hope to be proved wrong. We would celebrate being wrong.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

50 million?

Ridiculous.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    50 million?

Ridiculous.

Is that what Chelsea have paid for Mahrez?

Is that what Chelsea have paid for Mahrez?

Screams of desperation again.

Everything left until last minute.

That cheeky smile again :)

wenger-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

:D

66874222.jpg

He says we're still in the market for an offensive player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Screams of desperation again.

Everything left until last minute.

What is desperate about it, if we managed to sign last season POTY for somewhere near that in the current climate that's fair game.

Some people will never be pleased you just can't win

As we have been since 1886

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Last minute ? Is tomorrow september the 1st already

Soups123 wrote: »
    What is desperate about it, if we managed to sign last season POTY for somewhere near that in the current climate that's fair game.

Im just imagining some guy pulling an absolute cracker at the bar at closing time and his mates looking on...."Jeez Dan would take anything at this stage of the night" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

that's the problem with the squad, they don't know how to.
    Tippy tappy is still quite evident, what's wrong is we cannot do anything other than tippy tappy walk it into the net

We only do that well against poor teams in the Prem Lge. When we meet the best in Europe and the league we are very average and sloppy in possession of the ball. We used to go the the likes of the San Siro, Bernabeu and dominate the game. We struggle to do that now against the likes of Olympiakos, Sparta Prague etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Mertesacker interview
    "So we also need to be stronger and I am looking forward to seeing how well we compete for the title with not a lot of signings and a lot of young players."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10511201/per-mertesacker-says-it-was-a-miracle-arsenal-finished-second-last-season

Gringo180 wrote: »
    We only do that well against poor teams in the Prem Lge. When we meet the best in Europe and the league we are very average and sloppy in possession of the ball. We used to go the the likes of the San Siro, Bernabeu and dominate the game. We struggle to do that now against the likes of Olympiakos, Sparta Prague etc
    that's the problem with the squad, they don't know how to.
    Tippy tappy is still quite evident, what's wrong is we cannot do anything other than tippy tappy walk it into the net

Our tempo is atrociously slow and we are far too indirect, perhaps not even on the same wavelength. The invincibles by contrast had a telepathic understanding of each other and the ball was from our half to the opposition penalty area in seconds.

Vardy fail. Higuan fail. One season wonder for 50 million.

If we were serious and done our homework our targets would be wrapped up by now.

It's desperation 3 weeks from the start of the season but nothing new there.

If we were serious and done our homework our targets would be wrapped up by now.

Imagine if United announce Pogba. I'm just going to laugh at the pure desperation of those guys! Should have had that sewn up months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Too much drama to respond to it all.

But to call signing a player in July as desperation is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

That sounds like it could of been said any of the last few seasons with us :pac: This coming from our so called next captain is very worrying indeed. We are a joke if we dont invest in 2 more quality players.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    That sounds like it could of been said any of the last few seasons with us :pac: This coming from our so called next captain is very worrying indeed. We are a joke if we dont invest in 2 more quality players.

Even more worrying would be if Mert had anything to do with, or any knowledge of, the club's current transfer dealings.

Messi copying Rambo now i see. :D

messi.PNG

Even more worrying would be if Mert had anything to do with, or any knowledge of, the club's current transfer dealings.

The Germans are always sticking their nose in telling others how to manage their spending. he probably also recommended the chancellor of the exchequer deliver a harsh budget following brexit :pac:

Too much drama to respond to it all.

But to call signing a player in July as desperation is ridiculous.

Have we signed someone?

We won't.

And if we do it will be last minute deadline drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Have we signed someone?

We won't.

And if we do it will be last minute deadline drama.

Yep. His name is Xhaka. 35 ish million, at the very start of the window.

What the hell are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Wenger said were short numbers wise and we need an offensive and a defensive player

So basically said himself we will be getting two more players

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Yep. His name is Xhaka. 35 ish million, at the very start of the window.

What the hell are you on about?

1 comes in how many depart?

Wasn't talking about the haka.

Anyway seems wenger's excuses have worked already.

1 comes in how many depart?

Wasn't talking about the haka.

Anyway seems wenger's excuses have worked already.

So he doesn't count? And any business done between now and the end of tenge window is desparation.

So basically you're telling us you're going to be pissed off no matter what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Aloha folks, havent been about for a while.

Think the Mahrez situation could turn sour (anyone else see the chelsea mahrez shirt online?), and tbh i think the 40mil quoted is mad, didnt he just move to leicester for 400,000?! But I would love to see him at the club and as others have said considering the crazy money this year this is a steal, premier league experience, title experience, youngish and getting better. Oh and in a position we actually need to fill!

I think the Higuain money is absolutely nuts and must be the reason we've never really been in for him, and im glad for that. He is a great goalscorer but he has his off moments too, he is definitely not in the calibre of the messi/ronaldo etc. stars going for that much, and he's 29! crazy stuff.

Would be delighted if Ginter came in, we do really need to address our defence in terms of having at least one more very experienced defender in there. This throwing on chambers when someones injures wont cut it, though i think Gabriel is getting a lot better (and another summer of english lessons wont have hurt)

Last note - why is theo walcott still an Arsenal player?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Kevin Gameiro off to Barcelona.

Everyone's picking up a new striker this summer :(

Ajfunky wrote: »
    Aloha folks, havent been about for a while.

Think the Mahrez situation could turn sour (anyone else see the chelsea mahrez shirt online?), and tbh i think the 40mil quoted is mad, didnt he just move to leicester for 400,000?! But I would love to see him at the club and as others have said considering the crazy money this year this is a steal, premier league experience, title experience, youngish and getting better. Oh and in a position we actually need to fill!

I think the Higuain money is absolutely nuts and must be the reason we've never really been in for him, and im glad for that. He is a great goalscorer but he has his off moments too, he is definitely not in the calibre of the messi/ronaldo etc. stars going for that much, and he's 29! crazy stuff.

Would be delighted if Ginter came in, we do really need to address our defence in terms of having at least one more very experienced defender in there. This throwing on chambers when someones injures wont cut it, though i think Gabriel is getting a lot better (and another summer of english lessons wont have hurt)

Last note - why is theo walcott still an Arsenal player?!

The Higuain money is only nuts because we had him years ago and baulked at the price Napoli offered. Happens very often that we recognise the right player at the right time, don't push the boat out and are linked with them at an increased rate years later (Draxler too and even Ginter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The Higuain money is only nuts because we had him years ago and baulked at the price Napoli offered. Happens very often that we recognise the right player at the right time, don't push the boat out and are linked with them at an increased rate years later (Draxler too and even Ginter).
    Add Alonso to that group too.

Is it just me who's not that sold on Draxler?

Haven't seen that much of him but when I have I haven't seen a huge amount.

No, it's nuts because it's nuts. Has a player his age ever gone for even half what he's going for?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Has this been posted before? Thought it was interesting.

CoIadmNWIAE9TPU.jpg

(though Patrick Vieira is conspicuous in his absence from that list...)

CoIadmNWIAE9TPU.jpg

Very interesting.
    Apart from Ozil we have spent a small amount of the money generated of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

(though Patrick Vieira is conspicuous in his absence from that list...)

He was signed in 96 so wouldn't have been more expensive than Overmars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Overmars was bought in 1997 also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

He was signed in 96 so wouldn't have been more expensive than Overmars.

Edit: You're right, Vieira should be there for 96 and Overmars for 97.

2004 to 2014 is pretty bad. The really barren years.

Also though, you have to consider the other purchases.

For example in the Sanchez year, we spent about 3 times Sanchez's cost in total, so we actually spent about 33%.

However the Ozil and Cech years were totally empty apart from those two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

gosplan wrote: »
    2004 to 2014 is pretty bad. The really barren years.

Also though, you have to consider the other purchases.

For example in the Sanchez year, we spent about 3 times Sanchez's cost in total, so we actually spent about 33%.

However the Ozil and Cech years were totally empty apart from those two.

Incredibly poor business in hindsight, not a nailed on starter between Welbs, Chambers, Debuchy or Gabriel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

domrush wrote: »
    Incredibly poor business in hindsight, not a nailed on starter between Welbs, Chambers, Debuchy or Gabriel.

Not really true, Debuchy was a nailed on starter, until that injury and the emergence of Bellerin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

emmetlego wrote: »
    Not really true, Debuchy was a nailed on starter, until that injury and the emergence of Bellerin

I mean more like 2 years later, 110mil spent in one season and only one player is definitely starting for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Hardly fair since it was a freak injury that started his demise.. However, it's not that important to me so I'll drop out!

Sanchez looks really good business though.
    He was a bargain as he's up there with best we've bought.
    So is Ozil though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Nasri & arshavin are in the wrong years too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoIadmNWIAE9TPU.jpg

Haven't seen this before, really interesting actually. I'd like to see it sorted by year too. If I have time tomorrow I might give it a go. What's the source? Is it Swiss Ramble?

L'prof wrote: »
    Haven't seen this before, really interesting actually. I'd like to see it sorted by year too. If I have time tomorrow I might give it a go. What's the source? Is it Swiss Ramble?
    Dunno. Someone posted it on my forum and there was a United one too.

Doesn't seem to have had too much time put into it as has been pointed out some of the years are wrong and some players are missing (Vieira, Petit? Surely he cost more than Grondin...). Still I find it interesting as we often think as transfer fees constantly rocketing when a lot of it is really clubs just spending what they have. Also, the likes of Overmars and Bergkamp signing in the 90s really was unparalleled.

Icardi has agreed terms with Napoli, according to Rai. Mario Gomez has agreed terms with Dortmund, according to Hurriyet.

Spoiler: We're signing no one, lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Unless I see it on Sky nobody has agreed terms with anybody. I know Sky aren't the be all and end all but when it's on Sky it's done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement