Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Icardi has agreed terms with Napoli, according to Rai. Mario Gomez has agreed terms with Dortmund, according to Hurriyet.

Spoiler: We're signing no one, lads.

I'd seriously doubt that any transfer plans we may have involve Icardi or Gomez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Unless I see it on Sky nobody has agreed terms with anybody. I know Sky aren't the be all and end all but when it's on Sky it's done.

Sky are a load of balls. They throw stuff like this around:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10511868/arsenal-transfer-rumours-alexandre-lacazette-riyad-mahrez-linked

According to them we have an 86% chance of signing Mahrez, and a 96% chance of signing Lacazette.

Sky are nothing but clickbait these days. BBC and the Arsenal site are the only ones I give any credibility to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

What happens if we don't sign a striker this window? How will everyone feel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Icardi has agreed terms with Napoli, according to Rai. Mario Gomez has agreed terms with Dortmund, according to Hurriyet.

Spoiler : yes we are boys !

very surprised!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Sky are a load of balls. They throw stuff like this around:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10511868/arsenal-transfer-rumours-alexandre-lacazette-riyad-mahrez-linked

According to them we have an 86% chance of signing Mahrez, and a 96% chance of signing Lacazette.

Sky are nothing but clickbait these days. BBC and the Arsenal site are the only ones I give any credibility to.

I wasn't referring to rumours and that, they're all bollocks everywhere. I just mean if i turn on Sky and I see a player with a jersey I know he's signed for someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'll have my pitchfork ready.

I can't see how we won't sign a striker, or at least a winger that can play up front. Even if we still had Welbeck, I would have been expecting someone to come in, and he's not back until well into the second half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The same as I felt the last four summers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I've kept myself grounded for the summer so far saying we will, and I'll stick to that.

If, however, we don't, I'll probably burn the Emirates down :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Higuain is having a medical at Juventus if some reports are to be believed.

What's Franny Jeffers up to? He might join us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How would you feel about Benteke or Balotelli?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Benteke isn't better than Giroud. Thats what Arsenal need....an improvement on the current options. A world class striker. Somebody who will bang in goals for fun. Benteke is not that.

Kirby wrote: »
    Benteke isn't better than Giroud. Thats what Arsenal need....an improvement on the current options. A world class striker. Somebody who will bang in goals for fun. Benteke is not that.

And he's a Liverpool reject.

I'm getting to the stage where I just don't give a f*ck anymore.

Arsenal aren't an all encompassing passion anymore, just a little sideline in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

This has to be the most over reactionary and over dramatic page on the soccer forums ....lads take a breath of fresh air

We all know its frustrating that we are still in the market for players but so are everyone else , people are worrying about Liverpool on the opening day , there nowhere near ready for us either

This has to be the most over reactionary and over dramatic page on the soccer forums ....lads take a breath of fresh air

We all know its frustrating that we are still in the market for players but so are everyone else , people are worrying about Liverpool on the opening day , there nowhere near ready for us either

They're ready for Akpom.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Higuain is having a medical at Juventus if some reports are to be believed.

What's Franny Jeffers up to? He might join us!

He'd certainly push Walcott for a place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm getting to the stage where I just don't give a f*ck anymore.

Arsenal aren't an all encompassing passion anymore, just a little sideline in my life.

This is so me

But the questions I ask myself

1) am I just getting older, kids other life stuff etc etc getting in the way

2) is Wenger and the board after sucking the life out of me

I really don't no which is the right answer, and I would be one of Wengers fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

This is so me

Definitely number 2. I'm excited for the first season without them.

• Advertisement

This is so me

1) for me

Plus football is changing so much now. I find myself feeling slightly silly when I think about 'supporting' a corporation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

A first team centre back ideally. I don't think much of Gabriel and while I think Mertesacker has been a very decent player for Arsenal, he was poor last season and you'd have to imagine he's beginning to wind down now.

A first team centre back ideally. I don't think much of Gabriel and while I think Mertesacker has been a very decent player for Arsenal, he was poor last season and you'd have to imagine he's beginning to wind down now.

Mightn't get one though. Best you can get is no guarantee of a CB, especially in the first year in the league. Look at Sakho or Mangala. Vidic, Kos took a year or two to settle properly.

Another good CB and then let the four of them fight it out for Mert's place.

Lads, we already have a new CB and FW. They're just young, completely unproven, and coming from sub-par leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

gosplan wrote: »
    1) for me

Plus football is changing so much now. I find myself feeling slightly silly when I think about 'supporting' a corporation.

Ditto.

I really think the Internet doesn't help especially twitter. The bombardment of opinion and rumour is just too much. I think I need to reduce the amount of people I follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

gosplan wrote: »
    1) for me

100% right.

Plus it's more than slightly silly to get yourself in a terrible mood because one bunch of millionaire youngfellas get beaten by another bunch of millionaires at running around a pitch in another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Arteta deleting all his Arsenal related stuff on Instagram and unfollowing the club, bit of a díck.

• Advertisement

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Arteta deleting all his Arsenal related stuff on Instagram and unfollowing the club, bit of a díck.

Stipulation of the new Club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

L'prof wrote: »
    Haven't seen this before, really interesting actually. I'd like to see it sorted by year too. If I have time tomorrow I might give it a go. What's the source? Is it Swiss Ramble?

Took far longer than I thought it would. I think this is right though, Any errors lads? Ye should be able to sort by the headings in the table

Year|Most Expensive Signing|Fee (£m)|Turnover (£m)|Fee as % Turnover
    1995|Dennis Bergkamp|7.5|24|31.3
    1996|Patrick Vieira|3.5|21|16.7
    1997|Marc Overmars|7|21|33.3
    1998|Fredrik Ljungberg|3|40|7.5
    1999|Thierry Henry|10.5|49|21.4
    2000|Sylvain Wiltord|13|61|21.3
    2001|Giovanni Van Bronckhorst|8.5|63|13.5
    2002|Gilberto Silva|4.5|91|4.9
    2003|Philippe Senderos|2.5|104|2.4
    2004|Jose Reyes|13|115|11.3
    2005|Aleksandr Hleb|11.2|116|9.7
    2006|William Gallas (player+cash)|20|133|15
    2007|Eduardo|7.5|178|4.2
    2008|Samir Nasri|15.8|209|7.6
    2009|Andrei Arshavin|15|224|6.7
    2010|Laurent Koscielny|10|210|4.8
    2011|Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain|12|226|5.3
    2012|Santi Cazorla|20|235|8.5
    2013|Mesut Ozil|42.5|244|17.4
    2014|Alexis Sánchez|35|301|11.6
    2015|Gabriel Paulista|11.2|331|3.4
    2016|Granit Xhaka|33.8|355|9.5

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Took far longer than I thought it would. I think this is right though, Any errors lads? Ye should be able to sort by the headings in the table

Have to admit, that's a fantastic table, great work.

My OCD makes me like strange things. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

CatInABox wrote: »
    Have to admit, that's a fantastic table, great work.

My OCD makes me like strange things. :rolleyes:

My OCD makes me do strange things :rolleyes::D

Nope. New employer.

Shows your lack of understanding. Did you not hear his end of last game interview? He loved us!!!

In fact, your last 4 words are probably better aimed closer to home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Reading way too much into that. He has a new employer, probably told to delete all social media ties. It's not like your ex girlfriend unfriending you on Facebook like...

Social networking is not real life.

• Advertisement

Despite my previous retort, he's not deleting anything, according to my Twitter feed! Certainly not selling out, from what I can see!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Year|Most Expensive Signing|Fee (£m)|Turnover (£m)|Fee as % Turnover
    1995|Dennis Bergkamp|7.5|24|31.3
    1996|Patrick Vieira|3.5|21|16.7
    1997|Marc Overmars|7|21|33.3
    1997|Emmanuel Petit|2.5|21|11.9
    1998|Fredrik Ljungberg|3|40|7.5
    1999|Thierry Henry|10.5|49|21.4
    2000|Sylvain Wiltord|13|61|21.3
    2001|Giovanni Van Bronckhorst|8.5|63|13.5
    2002|Gilberto Silva|4.5|91|4.9
    2003|Philippe Senderos|2.5|104|2.4
    2004|Jose Reyes|13|115|11.3
    2005|Aleksandr Hleb|11.2|116|9.7
    2006|William Gallas (player+cash)|20|133|15
    2007|Eduardo|7.5|178|4.2
    2008|Samir Nasri|15.8|209|7.6
    2009|Andrei Arshavin|15|224|6.7
    2010|Laurent Koscielny|10|210|4.8
    2011|Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain|12|226|5.3
    2012|Santi Cazorla|20|235|8.5
    2013|Mesut Ozil|42.5|244|17.4
    2014|Alexis Sánchez|35|301|11.6
    2015|Gabriel Paulista|11.2|331|3.4
    2016|Granit Xhaka|33.8|355|9.5
    Nice one. You left out Petit though, I've added him.

Wenger really went nuts in 1997 :pac:

Not a Wenger era signing but I do wonder how David Platt would rank in this. £4.75m was a lot of moolah for us in 1995.

Don't know why didn't try to retain Artetas coaching services .

... also if the list includes Cole in the Gallas fee, Sol Campbell could probably be added as by a lot of accounts he received an abnormally large signing on fee due to his free transfer. £8m spread over the duration of his contract by some accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Nice one. You left out Petit though, I've added him.

Wenger really went nuts in 1997 :pac:

Not a Wenger era signing but I do wonder how David Platt would rank in this. £4.75m was a lot of moolah for us in 1995.

I thought the table just listed the most expensive player that year, otherwise there are a lot of players omitted.

On the thing about not giving a **** anymore, I think I hit an all time low every summer. There is just too much BS about transfers, speculation and cryptic messages from the club. It's not really about Arsenal (or any club per se) during the summer, it's more a dick measuring contest to see who can spend the most, something that Jose usually wins.

Even when the PL kicks off, I don't really have a whole lot of interest until the transfer window closes, everyone knows what the teams are and we can on with supporting the team and whatever players we have again.

• Advertisement

Ah, yeah, you might be right!

Don't know why didn't try to retain Artetas coaching services .

How do you know we didn't?

That table prompts a lot of questions.

1: I'd really wonder what this would be like for well run clubs.

2: What do we spend on wages?

3: Should we be aiming to spend about 1/3 of turnover on transfers each year, before any sales obviously.

Latest rumour is certainly a most Wenger like signing... Ben Yedder, a prolific striker, very young from the French league! He has the dreaded "good stats" too!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Latest rumour is certainly a most Wenger like signing... Ben Yedder, a prolific striker, very young from the French league! He has the dreaded "good stats" too!

I wouldn't mind a striker like this provided we got someone like Mahrez too.

It says he's due to sign for us or Seville in the NEXT FEW HOURS!!!!

I've cancelled all the stuff I had on today and am preparing to hit refresh continually for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Never heard of him, that's pretty much the type of striker I can see us signing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Would take him once we go big on the wing

How do you know we didn't?

We did, but at the academy.
    I'd say first team coaching may have convinced him.

Meant to be going to Sevilla, but we've sprang forth with some 'late interest'. Didn't something similar happen last month with a full-back who went to Monaco though? I'm just gonna assume this guy will sign for Sevilla in a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Can't see us signing a centre back. If Wenger isn't comfortable starting Gabriel and Chambers for a game or two at the start of the season then there's no point in having them in the squad, so I imagine he is.

I do think going big on a winger and getting a decent striking option is the play here, Higuain seems the only big name available and 80m is nuts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement