Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

AdamD wrote: »
    Can't see us signing a centre back. If Wenger isn't comfortable starting Gabriel and Chambers for a game or two at the start of the season then there's no point in having them in the squad, so I imagine he is.

I do think going big on a winger and getting a decent striking option is the play here, Higuain seems the only big name available and 80m is nuts.

Not necessarily. There's still a few options but this is what I see happening:

Icardi > Napoli
    Bacca > Inter
    Gameiro > Barcelona
    Mario Gomez > Dortmund
    Lacazette > PSG or 50m price tag means he stays where he is

Based on the above, I see us going after someone where we have a clear shot and no competition, or converting a winger to a striker (Draxler), or doing nothing. The fact that Chelsea are still looking for a striker worries me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Was just googling a few strikers and quite liked the promise/sound of Michy Batshuayi of Marseille last season ...... Never knew he signed for chelsea :( where have i been !! .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

No matter how good the winger, or how many midfielders we have creating chances, if we are depending on Giroud to finish those chances then we won't win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

emmetlego wrote: »
    Latest rumour is certainly a most Wenger like signing... Ben Yedder, a prolific striker, very young from the French league! He has the dreaded "good stats" too!

Only Ibra and Lacazette have scored more goals than him in Ligue 1 over the last 4 years. I'd take him if it meant getting Mahrez too.

Only we can go from Higuain to Marhez to Ben Yedder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

pudzey101 wrote: »

He sounds like a region in Israel.

keano_afc wrote: »
    He sounds like a region in Israel.
    pudzey101 wrote: »

The fact his name sounds a little too close to bender puts me off him no matter how prolific he is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Not necessarily. There's still a few options but this is what I see happening:

Icardi > Napoli
    Bacca > Inter
    Gameiro > Barcelona
    Mario Gomez > Dortmund
    Lacazette > PSG or 50m price tag means he stays where he is

Based on the above, I see us going after someone where we have a clear shot and no competition, or converting a winger to a striker (Draxler), or doing nothing. The fact that Chelsea are still looking for a striker worries me.

With all due respect. A lot of those are just names being thrown about. Most massively overrated by the desire to link any known name to any known club.

Gomez is 31 and was loaned to the Turkish league last year.

Bacca is 29 and signed for Milan last year.

Gameiro is 29. His peak was for LOrient 7 years ago. PSG signed him and he flopped.

Icardi and Lacazette would be big signings though. Right age, right scoring records.

I really think the others are just products of the Internet's demand for constant news. I mean Gomez is 31, completely wrong for is and was loaned by Forientina to the Turkish league last year. How is he being linked to the top leagues???

Also I think converting Draxler to a striker has been mentioned a few times here but as far as I can tell it's a total myth. Is there any basis for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

So where is this big signing from Germany all the Twitter ITKs were on about? We were supposed to have by now?

Still think there's something in the Mahrez story, and this striker Ben whatsit, looks to be the polar opposite to OG, quick and a better conversion rate... Yep, I'd take both in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So where is this big signing from Germany all the Twitter ITKs were on about? We were supposed to have by now?

Still think there's something in the Mahrez story, and this striker Ben whatsit, looks to be the polar opposite to OG, quick and a better conversion rate... Yep, I'd take both in a heartbeat.

You'd wonder how all the ITK's get their supposed information.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Here's an exclusive picture of a popular ITK on a "fact" finding expedition:

angif-pull-your-head-out-of-your-ass-def.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Different type of striker but Ben Yedder's conversion rate is similar to Giroud's isn't it? wouldn't see him as an improvement on Olivier but should provide competition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Ben Yedder isn't exactly very young either, he's 25 apparently. Not saying that he's a bad player, but it's a bit of an underwhelming signing, I'd much rather Lacazette and I'm sure he would jump at the chance of a move.

We're being linked to the German CB Mustafi today. A different type of 'signing from Germany' but I'd take it!

gosplan wrote: »
    With all due respect. A lot of those are just names being thrown about. Most massively overrated by the desire to link any known name to any known club.

Gomez is 31 and was loaned to the Turkish league last year.

Bacca is 29 and signed for Milan last year.

Gameiro is 29. His peak was for LOrient 7 years ago. PSG signed him and he flopped.

Icardi and Lacazette would be big signings though. Right age, right scoring records.

I really think the others are just products of the Internet's demand for constant news. I mean Gomez is 31, completely wrong for is and was loaned by Forientina to the Turkish league last year. How is he being linked to the top leagues???

Also I think converting Draxler to a striker has been mentioned a few times here but as far as I can tell it's a total myth. Is there any basis for it?

You're right but these are the strikers who seem available and will most likely move this summer. I wish there were more options but it's nearly August so this is what's left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mertesacker reportedly out for 5 months, def need some CB backup if that is the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

jester77 wrote: »
    Mertesacker reportedly out for 5 months, def need some CB backup if that is the case

Not back up, we need a starter just like we did before Mert got injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Not back up, we need a starter just like we did before Mert got injured.

:-)

Was waiting for that! Really can't see us signing a starting CB as I thing Wenger has big faith in Gabriel and Chambers as back up. Not saying I agree, by the way!

Kosc is class, he's not flawless but he's class.

Gabriel is poor enough, very naive and isn't good enough to start for us (A PL and CL challenging team)

Chambers is very shaky and unproven, there's still hope, unfortunately if we want to win anything this year we need more than a young prospect starting at CB.

They are our CB's, this isn't good enough, don't even try and throw Monreal and Debuchy at me, Chambers is better suited at RB anyway.

We need another class CB to play alongside Kosc and then Chambers and Gab can continue to grow and learn without costing us games like Senderos and Djourou used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We wont be signing another CB. Monreal has been tried there before and will be the emergency solution if Kos/Gabriel get hurt.

• Advertisement

Apparently Lyon have said they've rejected a 35m offer from us for Lacazette.

Update: Confirmed by Lyon.

keano_afc wrote: »
    We wont be signing another CB. Monreal has been tried there before and will be the emergency solution if Kos/Gabriel get hurt.

And things like this are why people like me find it hard to get excited and be optimistic for the season ahead, it's not that I don't want to be, it's just difficult when the main issues aren't addressed.

Apparently Lyon have said they've rejected a 35m offer from us for Lacazette.

Update: Confirmed by Lyon.

at least we're making bids - that was never enough to tempt them though.

The President there is quite a tough negotiator so I hope we go back and put the right money on the table. Lacazette has said he wants to move so that helps our position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Ben Yedder isn't exactly very young either, he's 25 apparently. Not saying that he's a bad player, but it's a bit of an underwhelming signing, I'd much rather Lacazette and I'm sure he would jump at the chance of a move.

Last season when Villa were raiding France I think they missed a real trick by not signing him

Saying that I think he might be a underwhelming signing for the Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Football's gone bizarre. Why are Lyon even making a statement about it?

Wenger won't be impressed with Lyon going public like that. Be surprised if we go back with another offer.

Reeks of desperation too. If we really wanted him, we could have gone for him last summer. Says a lot that Vardy was first choice ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

AdamD wrote: »
    Football's gone bizarre. Why are Lyon even making a statement about it?
    Wenger won't be impressed with Lyon going public like that. Be surprised if we go back with another offer.

They are making a statement for this exact reason. Annoy Wenger and he wont go back with another bid after it has been made public. If u are the selling club it makes perfect sense. It appears we are the only club who bend over backwards when selling a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Reeks of desperation too. If we really wanted him, we could have gone for him last summer. Says a lot that Vardy was first choice ahead of him.
    Vardy was the cheaper option so he was always going to be first choice. Remember that's where the priority lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

We had this desperation stuff the other day, this isn't desperate. Wenger backed Walcott last year that's over now. We are bidding for a good player

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    We had this desperation stuff the other day, this isn't desperate. Wenger backed Walcott last year that's over now. We are bidding for a good player

They already rejected a bid of £35m for him from West Ham so its hard to take our bid seriously. Its just a waste of time.

£50m for Lacazette would be good business IMO.

They already rejected a bid of £35m for him from West Ham so its hard to take our bid seriously. Its just a waste of time.

But we don't know when we bid that, also your opening bid had to be low so the middle ground is fair

This goes on with every single signing it's rare and opening bid is on the money

The other piece is drawing out the player he wasn't into West Ham u want the player wanting out too helps with price

That's it exactly. If they turned down West Ham at that price, why bid lower? Maybe they would hope Lacazette would turn in a transfer request that would lessen his price, but no one does that anymore.

But we don't know when we bid that, also your opening bid had to be low so the middle ground is fair

This goes on with every single signing it's rare and opening bid is on the money

The other piece is drawing out the player he wasn't into West Ham u want the player wanting out too helps with price

The West Ham bid was in May so I'd be surprised if ours was before that. Have no problem with a low first bid but we don't seem to take into account the player's valuation when doing so. £29m was just too low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

£50m for Lacazette would be good business IMO.

Don't think he'll cost that much, probably £40m. Either way though, just get the man Wenger.

The West Ham bid was in May so I'd be surprised if ours was before that. Have no problem with a low first bid but we don't seem to take into account the player's valuation when doing so. £29m was just too low.

But your guessing we don't know anything exact other than them saying Arsenal bid.

He isn't the finished article by any stretch he's not even a regular in the French squad Wenger is right to seek value. You

People aren't happy when we're not trying aren't happy when we are trying and want someone else when we do sign someone.

But your guessing we don't know anything exact other than them saying Arsenal bid.

He isn't the finished article by any stretch he's not even a regular in the French squad Wenger is right to seek value. You

People aren't happy when we're not trying aren't happy when we are trying and want someone else when we do sign someone.

When's the last time we ever signed a world class striker though?

We got Van Persie for pittance in 03/04 and Henry for 10 Mill which was big at the time in what 99? 00? and they became World Class at the club. We've never bough a finished article before to lead the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If all this is just more "Paper talk" then pass no remarks.
    You'll only be annoying yourselves over nothing.

• Advertisement

If all this is just more "Paper talk" then pass no remarks.
    You'll only be annoying yourselves over nothing.

No it was an official statement by Lyon, themselves responding to paper talk I believe

I think it's the fact that we've been "trying" for a top striker for the last few summers and got none that aggravates people. As a result, I've zero confidence in us getting one but that's just my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

How come the other champions league clubs get their business done quickly whilst we are always negotiating on price.

bring back David dein.

Pudders wrote: »
    How come the other champions league clubs get their business done quickly whilst we are always negotiating on price.

bring back David dein.

I wonder if they were all saying the same when we signed Xhaka?

I wonder if the other champion's league clubs will sign other players?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Basil3 wrote: »
    Pudders wrote: »

bring back David dein.

No because they have a track record opposite of ours. We've needed a striker for years and signed Sanogo. The blind loyalty to wenger I canubderstand but not to the board.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I always wonder why Arsenal view transfer windows in isolation. They must do if they are so influenced on value for money or at the very least a fear of paying over a perceived value.

We could buy an average/great player this year for £40m and still feel we need more next year. End up buying someone else next year for £25m+ and still not have world class striker on our books.

Why not spend the £65m now and get a WC player and just not buy one next year.

Just go all out on Aubameyang and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

65m wouldn't get Aubangeyang, and he's just come out this week and said he'd only leave for Madrid.

Reality is there are no great strikers out there, only a few good ones available and everyone knows the Premier League clubs are freshly minted with the likes of Palace and West Ham throwing about £30m + bids for players.

So the only options are don't buy or overspend for average players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Just go all out on Aubameyang and be done with it.
    Auba has already said that the only club that he would leave Dortmund for is Real. I know that can change but I don't see it happening.

The funny thing about Ben Yedder is that a lot of people (particularly on Twitter) are just looking at his value. If we had signed N'Golo Kante last year for £6m or Mahrez for 400k then people would have been saying what are we doing signing these no mark players. The price of a player isn't always the benchmark, again look at Payet last season. Now if we spent £120m on Kante, Mahrez and Payet this Summer people would have been wetting themselves yet they could have all been signed for £20m last Summer.
    Ben Yedder is two footed as far as I know, He is quick strong and nimble and can finish. We may not sign him and if we do he may well not be the answer but to dismiss him is wrong, in my opinion

Basil3 wrote: »

Xhaka might turn out to be a good signing but it was hardly a priority position. We're less than 20 days away from the new season and we may not have a senior CB or CF starting again Liverpool. I don't think there's another CL club in that kind of unprepared position at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Xhaka might turn out to be a good signing but it was hardly a priority position. We're less than 20 days away from the new season and we may not have a senior CB or CF starting again Liverpool. I don't think there's another CL club in that kind of unprepared position at the moment.

I think it was a priority. Ramsey and Coquelin doesn't work, we need a strong passer/tackler in midfield, and we seem to have got that. Other areas being a priority doesn't stop that area being one either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Surely if it was desperation we'd be lashing cash at it, Woodward style?

Honestly, this thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement